What would you do?

anditoo72

We are booked for Celebrity Reflection on Feb 19th. I live about 4.5 hours away from Ft. Lauderdale Port. I would love to book a hotel room the night before we sail, but we are on a budget. What would you do? Bite the bullet and book a room or drive 4.5 hours the morning of the cruise to get to the port?

Thanks in advance!

i don't know what time you normally get up but considering that rooms are generally not available until  1300.  With a 4-1/2 or 5 hour drive, you could leave home at 070 0 -0800 and arrive before 1300 when the rooms are ready..  

• Like 3

Would you be driving the day before?  If so, you don't have to stay in Ft Lauderdale and can save some money staying a bit North.  That's what I normally do.  Ft Lauderdale always charges a premium the nights before cruises.  Since cruising restarted, though, I've driven to the port the day of; twice to Ft Lauderdale, and four times to Miami.  The drive to Ft Lauderdale is about 4 hrs for me and I have no problem with it.  I reeeeally hate the drive to Miami but staying there is worse. 😉

(I'm driving to Miami again Monday morning.)

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

If you are really wanting to save $$$.  Leave very very early in the a.m.  Maybe 4 am.  Take lots of breaks.

That would be “pennywise and pound foolish.” 
What’s not yet been addressed is all that can go wrong when you drive to the cruise port OR to an airport (on your way to a cruise).

IMO: When your travel has inflexible schedule times (like an embarkation of a flight), having a time buffer for “issues” is essential. Why do you think travel-savvy folks always say “don’t fly to a cruise port on embarkation day.”

That said, from the two options presented, leaving the previous day is the only way to have even a minimum buffer. Better still would be to get to a port (4-5 hours drive distant!) using commercial transportation (puddle jumper, bus or train, transfer company van etc.) - arriving at least a day prior to embarkation. More “expensive”? Perhaps, but breakdowns are then the commercial carrier’s issue (for which they have backups).

• Like 2

We live 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale across the “Alley”.  Wouldn’t think twice about booking the Fort Lauderdale Hilton Marina, always have always will.  Sorry @GottaKnowWhen can’t disagree with you more.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3

I live 4.5 hours away from the Port of Miami and my last cruise I just got up early the morning of and drove. Got there early and made it to the ship in no time. It's really up to you and what you are comfortable with. I always drive in the morning of to any cruise port in Florida that I am leaving out of. When leaving from another state, I fly in the day before.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, anditoo72 said:

We are booked for Celebrity Reflection on Feb 19th. I live about 4.5 hours away from Ft. Lauderdale Port. I would love to book a hotel room the night before we sail, but we are on a budget. What would you do? Bite the bullet and book a room or drive 4.5 hours the morning of the cruise to get to the port?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to CC. 😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

Agree, there are other options but missing the ship is not comfy.

I always fly in the day before and try to be as frugal as possible with our hotel choices.  Luckily I get a free stay through my Hyatt cc each year and usually redeem it during high season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I always fly in the day before and try to be as frugal as possible with our hotel choices.  Luckily I get a free stay through my Hyatt cc each year and usually redeem it during high season.

Ha, ha.  I have Hilton points and usually do points and dollars.😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, anditoo72 said:

Thank you everyone, I love hearing all your input! It seems you are all as torn as I am though 😆

It only takes one accident or Everglades fire to change your mind.  It happened to us years ago, never again.  It’s also more relaxing knowing you are a short distance to the port in the morning.  Good Luck.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mommysoncruiser said:

I live 4.5 hours away from the Port of Miami and my last cruise I just got up early the morning of and drove. Got there early and made it to the ship in no time. It's really up to you and what you are comfortable with. I always drive in the morning of to any cruise port in Florida that I am leaving out of. When leaving from another state, I fly in the day before.

I understand your reply’s intent. But, it begs the question “What difference does a ‘state line’ matter?”

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I understand your reply’s intent. But, it begs the question “What difference does a ‘state line’ matter?”

Actually it does not. I drive to Florida ports because they are close to me. None of them are over 4.5 hours from me. Other states are further from me. Now you know! And knowing is half the battle 😉.

Edited by mommysoncruiser

We just see an overnight in the port we are cruising from as part of the cruise cost…

1 hour ago, George C said:

I would definitely book a hotel, your first day will be so more relaxing if you don’t start it with a 4.5 hour drive.

Agree…Board fresh and relaxed compared to hot and tired…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mommysoncruiser said:

So you don’t actually live in Texas?

7 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We just see an overnight in the port we are cruising from as part of the cruise cost…

Agree…Board fresh and relaxed compared to hot and tired…

Agree, why make the first day stressful.

• Like 1