Transatlantic crossing and cabin selection

cruzer0007

Cruzer0007, if you can handle your own luggage, I would advise you to do the self disembarkation where you can leave the ship as soon as it is cleared.  We have been at airports before 8AM by doing this.  You may have to pack for the cruise with this in mind though, and that means your wife won't be able to pack those 15 pairs of shoes!😂

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes it was the silhouette Nov 2018.    I recall meeting you and the CC gathering.   

I remember that the Queen Mary and Edge were diverted to the same route.  While the crossing was rough,  I remember the remainder was fantastic.     The Captain gave us a wonder close up view of the Statue of Liberty arriving into New York City.

I was on that cruise also.  It was our second TA from Southampton and decided to not go that route again.   We missed some good ports in Northern Spain the first time and again missed the first day in New York this time where we had some old high school friends driving in to NY to meet us.  Now we only do Mid or South Atlantic crossings.

And yes the captains drive by of the Statue of Liberty was amazing, so close you could almost touch it.  Funny you mention it as it came up a a memory on my facebook page yesterday.

22 hours ago, garyl62 said:

it's only 113 steps from the elevator bank to the aft facing cabins on the Equinox.  Not as much as people make it out to be.

As Jim mentioned, it would be a problem if someone had mobility issues.
 I did not know it was only 113 steps, but I have always thought of the stairs and elevators in question as being Mid Aft.  My DW and I like the walk when cruising in the Corner Aft Sky Suites.  
Do you have a step count from the Mid Aft to the center of the ship and to the more forward stairs and elevator?  And also from those elevators to the front?  
Since you had an exact count, I thought you might know as I am just curious.  I draw my conclusion from looking at the deck ship map.  Obviously ship want to leave the Mid ship location for the large atrium and common areas.

Thanks

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

.......Do you have a step count from the Mid Aft to the center of the ship and to the more forward stairs and elevator?  And also from those elevators to the front?  
Since you had an exact count, I thought you might know as I am just curious.  I draw my conclusion from looking at the deck ship map.  Obviously ship want to leave the Mid ship location for the large atrium and common areas.

Thanks

I don't have a count for anything else and honestly it may be 115 or 116 as I'm unsure now, but it's close.  I counted those steps because I've heard quite often about how far the walk was.  I realize for some, it's a long ways, others may take more or less steps than me, but I figured I'd look into it when we sailed in an aft sky suite.  We were on deck 10 of the Equinox and it looks like there are 30 cabins you walk past.  I'm not sure how wide each cabin is, but I'd guess only about 10 feet based on how much room there is between the foot of the bed and the wall, so that's about 300 feet total and that's about the right number of steps for my stride.

12 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Our thoughts also for our first westbound TA many years ago, but we found the sun just too intense to spend any amount of time on our balcony.  We now choose to be on the starboard side when sailing from Europe to the US.  It's much more comfortable on the balcony during the day.  By the time the sun appears it's pretty close to setting.

Depend on the month October sail it could be hot , a December sailing it is soooo nice to have that sun

20 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Jim, I don't recall anything about the Edge, but I had a friend aboard the QM2 (which left Southampton the day after we did), and we were emailing back and forth about the weather.  Because they were doing their traditional crossing, their Captain did not divert as far south as we did (if at all), and they sailed through much higher winds than we did. 

There are true engineering differences between QM2 and EDGE and QM2 was built as a more traditional ocean liner for trans-Atlantic crossings.  

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There are true engineering differences between QM2 and EDGE and QM2 was built as a more traditional ocean liner for trans-Atlantic crossings.  

There was a documentary (“Megastructures” series, perhaps?) on design and construction of QM2 several years ago. Fascinating to see the differences when it is expected she will plow through the North Atlantic in winter. We’ve been on her with 20-ft swells and barely noticed movement.

Then again, we skirted a typhoon transpacific on Millennium several years ago and, because the captain carefully plotted the route and timing, there was only one day of moderately rough seas. One can plan for rough seas in ship design and/or in captain training, but all of the transoceanic trips I have made have handled rough weather well.