Yesterday’s flight

brockmom

Hello

just a quick note to share our Westjet experience yesterday.

From the moment we walked up to the check in line to our stepping off the plane, it was perfect.

We flew from Toronto, 9:40 am to Fort Lauderdale.

We tried and tried but could not get our check in done on line so we’re glad we had arrived

early ( 7 am) to see an agent at the desk. As we headed to the line there was an employee there greeting and reminding

Everyone to have their Covid test and proof of vaccination ready. There must have been 6-8 wickets open.

Most people were going to the agents so if your check in doesn’t work on line, it’s simply that they need to

confirm the vaccination and Covid tests. 
The security line was manageable and they also had the TSA line open as well.

All in all it was super smooth. For our first flight since Covid started we were expecting a lot more stress and 

airport confusion. So we were quiet pleased. Hope this eases any stress anyone has.

Brockmom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Oh my goodness, so happy to read this after seeing the thread title and was afraid you’d encountered  some major issues and had a “fight” to deal with! Glad it was apparently a typo! 

Have a wonderful trip and look forward to hearing about post cruise testing and your travel back across the border!

Cathy

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, we were glad to read about your experience as we are on the same airline and flight in a couple of weeks.

Quick question - did you have to complete the Attestation form for entry into the US?

1 hour ago, brockmom said:

Hello

just a quick note to share our Westjet experience yesterday.

From the moment we walked up to the check in line to our stepping off the plane, it was perfect.

We flew from Toronto, 9:40 am to Fort Lauderdale.

We tried and tried but could not get our check in done on line so we’re glad we had arrived

early ( 7 am) to see an agent at the desk. As we headed to the line there was an employee there greeting and reminding

Everyone to have their Covid test and proof of vaccination ready. There must have been 6-8 wickets open.

Most people were going to the agents so if your check in doesn’t work on line, it’s simply that they need to

confirm the vaccination and Covid tests. 
The security line was manageable and they also had the TSA line open as well.

All in all it was super smooth. For our first flight since Covid started we were expecting a lot more stress and 

airport confusion. So we were quiet pleased. Hope this eases any stress anyone has.

Brockmom

I am so glad to hear this.  I was worried about lines through Toronto.  I am doing WJ Vancouver to FLL on December 25th through Calgary which has always been easy peezy it being a small airport.  We are coming back through Toronto so it is nice to hear that they seem to have gotten into the groove and brought on more people to move the lines faster.  Thanks for sharing,

Shelley

49 minutes ago, luvinthecruiselife said:

I am so glad to hear this.  I was worried about lines through Toronto.  I am doing WJ Vancouver to FLL on December 25th through Calgary which has always been easy peezy it being a small airport.  We are coming back through Toronto so it is nice to hear that they seem to have gotten into the groove and brought on more people to move the lines faster.  Thanks for sharing,

Shelley

We are doing the same flights via Calgary and Toronto in early December - but to Orlando instead of FLL out of YVR.   Connection time in Calgary has me a bit nervous - hopefully it’s smooth sailing!!!

Edited by Djsmrs

• Host Kat changed the title to Yesterday’s flight

Thanks for the update.  Indeed nice to hear everything went smoothly.  Prudent to give yourself some extra, extra time just to make sure.  With the way things are currently wouldn't hesitate to add another hour or two on top of normal arrival times for snags.  Rather sit at departure gate and relax the extra time.   Best of luck coming back too:)

7 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Ta daaa! emo49.gif Thread title has been edited.

I thought the thread would evolve as a literary discussion of Miriam Toews new novel, Fight Night.  Good Canadian content on this Canadian thread.

😏

Edited by Been There, Planning That

Air Canada yesterday out of YUL to Fort Lauderdale wasn't so nice. Checked in just fine never had to talk to a human and show any proofs of vaccination or testing, having already submitted it online beforehand. Pushed back from the gate then returned and sat for two hours while a wonky GPS unit was replaced.  Pushed back again from the gate, then sat, and sat....  until the senior flight attendant came on the PA and announced that a passenger was being abusive and had to thrown off the plane for refusing to wear mask properly. Supposed to fly at 8:45, arrived at FLL 7 hours later, at 3:30PM. And you guessed it, a few passengers had cruises departing that afternoon.  Hope they made it. We always fly down the day before, and this is why...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Air Canada yesterday out of YUL to Fort Lauderdale wasn't so nice. Checked in just fine never had to talk to a human and show any proofs of vaccination or testing, having already submitted it online beforehand. Pushed back from the gate then returned and sat for two hours while a wonky GPS unit was replaced.  Pushed back again from the gate, then sat, and sat....  until the senior flight attendant came on the PA and announced that a passenger was being abusive and had to thrown off the plane for refusing to wear mask properly. Supposed to fly at 8:45, arrived at FLL 7 hours later, at 3:30PM. And you guessed it, a few passengers had cruises departing that afternoon.  Hope they made it. We always fly down the day before, and this is why...

It never fails to amaze me how many people continue to fly in on the day of their cruise. Yours is a perfect example of what can go wrong other than a snow storm grounding flights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xcell said:

What can't people follow the rules? 

The offender was actually sitting near us. From his mannerisms attitude and behaviour, he clearly didn't feel the need to follow rules that he found inconvenient. Learned an interesting lesson though.  AC was perfectly happy to hand him over "...to the authorities" and fly away with his bags, forcing him to claim them later. Unfortunately, his travelling companion decided to deplane with this moron, and we had to wait while HIS bags were  located in the hold and pulled out. Retrieving the friends bags is what held us up for another hour

Thanks for posting the firsthand experience.  The more people read experiences like this the easier the decision will become to travel again.  I can add that we have traveled twice internationally since Sept.  We flew WJ to and from Las Vegas via Pearson back in Sept and the process was extremely simple and for the most part zero stress.  We just arrived back last Friday from Mexico (CUN to YYZ) via Air Canada and again the process was simple and well managed.  The key in any travel now is to know the rules (and of course be aware they change as quickly as the wind direction) and have all appropriate documentation.

• Like 1

Sorry for typo ! No fights at all ! Hahahaha thank you for editing . 

No USA attestation papers required at all . No one asked . It simply has to be read during your online checkin. 
I did follow suggestions and had it printed but it was not required . 

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Thank you for the details about flying out of YUL to FLL. We are doing the same this upcoming Thursday but the late flight. We were wondering how busy was the plane? Was it a A330 which is one of the bigger ones with the 2 4 2 seat configuration.

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It never fails to amaze me how many people continue to fly in on the day of their cruise. Yours is a perfect example of what can go wrong other than a snow storm grounding flights.

We did it once from Ch'town to FLL through Montreal.....very early connection and flight.....but the stress waiting to see that plane roll up to our departure gate in Montreal was too much....the other thing is we travelled with only carry-on to give us a better chance to catch the cruise if something changed.....never again.....lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kris75 said:

Thank you for the details about flying out of YUL to FLL. We are doing the same this upcoming Thursday but the late flight. We were wondering how busy was the plane? Was it a A330 which is one of the bigger ones with the 2 4 2 seat configuration.

We were on an A330 , AC flight 900, in the 2/4/2 config. Probably about 3/4 full

We are flying on flight AC.900 from YUL to Fll leaving Dec 5 at 8:00am arriving at 11:50am

Boarding the carnival horizon 6 day eastern Caribbean that day

Looking at weather if snow is on the way i will leave day before, AC has 1 free change  just in case don't want miss out on first cruise in 2 years .

I'll update at airport 13 more days 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, quebecnorthern cruisers said:

We are flying on flight AC.900 from YUL to Fll leaving Dec 5 at 8:00am arriving at 11:50am

Boarding the carnival horizon 6 day eastern Caribbean that day

Looking at weather if snow is on the way i will leave day before, AC has 1 free change  just in case don't want miss out on first cruise in 2 years .

I'll update at airport 13 more days 

Here's a perfect reason for flying the day before, irrespective of the weather forecast:

Last cruise before Covid, my sister and I must have looked a little flustered as we entered our hotel (FLL) as the bellman asked if we had missed our cruise. Told him no but asked if they got a lot of walk-ins from people who did. He said “Yes!  We get lots!  All the time!”  Apparently there were a lot that day due to snow in Chicago. I know we were the first and last flight out of Buffalo, that day, for the very same reason.