Letter to butler in Haven

JennyLou97

First, much love to @Sthrngary who has truly made my cruises with NCL much better. Without the threads he created I would have missed a lot, including the butler letter. Not kissing your you know what Gary, just stating the facts. 

Anyhow, we did write a butler letter for our first Haven cruise back in April. It was well received by the butler. My husband laughed at me. Oh well, he laughs at a lot of my ideas. I do them anyway and he still loves me (why, I don't know). You can find a copy of our letter by clicking here which will take you to a Google doc you can edit, if you so choose. Or don't. 

The point of my post though, is to actually tell you we don't use the butler letter anymore. We have found on each cruise, our butler stops in the first day of the cruise with a notepad for each room he (we haven't had the honor of a female butler yet) is responsible for. At this time, we tell the butler what we'd like and always get it. Now, in some cases, the butler says that's unavailable or may even forget to refill the iced tea pitcher. Both happened on our last cruise. Once we asked about the iced tea, the butler bent over backwards to ensure we had absolutely everything we requested. He felt terrible about forgetting. 

That's our method. We have also seen our butler every day of the cruise. Somehow they know when we're in the room or they stop by our table in the Haven Restaurant to say hi. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the letter. We've just made the decision not to use it anymore. It's a fine tool and one anyone should use if they feel so inclined. 

Keep on cruising and enjoy every single day at sea! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

its interesting to see folks asking for certain sodas, wines, etc.   while your butler can bring you this stuff, you have to pay for it vs. going to the Haven bar (or any other bar) and getting them free with your Beverage Package.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, Falckon said:

No disrespect for Sthrngary, but I believe that considering the first day of a cruise is the busiest for butlers, a much shorter note would be appreciated and accomplish the same mission. I have used the following note on our last several cruises and have had excellent results.

"For our Butler:

"We look forward to sailing with you for the next 17 days. We have sailed on NCL, in the Haven, on many cruises, and have found that it helps to communicate what we like and don’t like on the first day.

These are the requests that we submitted to the concierge desk and accessibility desk.

1. Firm Pillows
  2. Light blanket and light Duvet
  3. Empty the mini-fridge
  4. Pitcher of orange juice in the mini-fridge
  5. Distilled water for a CPAP

As for afternoon snacks, we don’t care for canapes, chocolate covered strawberries or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

We do enjoy cheese and crackers, (especially blue cheese), sandwiches, shrimp cocktail, chips and salsa, cashews, pretzels, potato chips, bar mix, some fruit and an occasional cookie.

We also like to have drinks in the room, so we would appreciate a second ice bucket.

Thank you,"

Will be in Haven for the first time. Please tell me if there is menu for snacks in the cabin? Is there a charge for these snacks, lemonade, juices?

Thanks

On 11/22/2021 at 7:45 AM, tafawke said:

I have bids in for a Haven Upgrade for the BA 19 Dec cruise and I am slowing pulling things together (just in case we get the email) ... one thing that I read somewhere is that the crew appreciate little gifts of snacks or necessities because they are not supposed to disembark so can't stock up - so, 1. is this still the case 2. if yes, would you include the butler on the list of people to give something to. 3. what are good ideas to give to the crew and 4. maybe we ignore all that and give everyone a Christmas card with some cash and some Christmas treats... on top of the tips and gratuities and letter to the butler.

I have read, and did talk to some crew about this, that they do not want anything .... other than money.  And, they do actually disembark.  We've run into them at stores and/or see them coming back on board with take-out food or groceries when we are also coming back on board after a day in port.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

Will be in Haven for the first time. Please tell me if there is menu for snacks in the cabin? Is there a charge for these snacks, lemonade, juices?

Thanks

Which ship are you on?   I ask because some of the newer ships like Encore, Bliss, etc have a Horizon lounge where you can get juices from a dispenser.  I think even on Epic they had a pitcher of orange juice and water in the Haven area.   There is no snack menu per se but you can ask your butler to bring you the typical Haven snacks like M&Ms, gummy bears, cookies, etc.  Anything that is brought in a can i.e. juice or soda you will be charged for.  The snacks or daily treats the butler bring are free.

Edited by david_sobe

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Which ship are you on?   I ask because some of the newer ships like Encore, Bliss, etc have a Horizon lounge where you can get juices from a dispenser.  I think even on Epic they had a pitcher of orange juice and water in the Haven area.   There is no snack menu per se but you can ask your butler to bring you the typical Haven snacks like M&Ms, gummy bears, cookies, etc.  Anything that is brought in a can i.e. juice or soda you will be charged for.  The snacks or daily treats the butler bring are free.

We will be first time NCL passengers in the Haven suites. If drinks such as juices, etc are brought in by the butler, there's a charge? Can we ask for a pitcher and fill with juices ourselves outside the room? I'm asking because we will have kids in the 2BR villas.

Edited by westcoastmom

37 minutes ago, westcoastmom said:

We will be first time NCL passengers in the Haven suites. If drinks such as juices, etc are brought in by the butler, there's a charge? Can we ask for a pitcher and fill with juices ourselves outside the room? I'm asking because we will have kids in the 2BR villas.

@westcoastmom I will do my best to give you my first hand experience.  First, you were asked which ship you are on because only the larger ships have a full Haven Area with bar and restaurants.  The smaller ships, give you breakfast and lunch at specialty restaurants but not dinner.  That makes a difference. My comments will be based on ships like Encore, Bliss, Joy, Breakaway, and the brand new ships.  Not ships like the Pearl.

The Haven Restaurant has juices and specialty coffee which does not cost more.  When in a Haven Suite, you tell your butler to do all room service from the Haven Restaurant.  Problem solved it the Haven Restaurant is open when ordering.  If you have a Haven Observation Area, it usually has those items available.  I have NEVER had an issue asking my Butler to brink a pitcher of Orange Juice.  Just ask and you will receive.  I have stayed in the Haven Two Bedroom Family Villa, Spa Suite and the Deluxe Owners Suite.  With and without my children.  Canned soda is a cost in most suites and restaurants except in an Owners Suite or Three Bedroom Villa.  I hope this helps you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

The Haven Restaurant has juices and specialty coffee which does not cost more.  When in a Haven Suite, you tell your butler to do all room service from the Haven Restaurant.  Problem solved it the Haven Restaurant is open when ordering.  If you have a Haven Observation Area, it usually has those items available.  I have NEVER had an issue asking my Butler to brink a pitcher of Orange Juice.  Just ask and you will receive.  I have stayed in the Haven Two Bedroom Family Villa, Spa Suite and the Deluxe Owners Suite.  With and without my children.  Canned soda is a cost in most suites and restaurants except in an Owners Suite or Three Bedroom Villa.  I hope this helps you.

Thank you very much for your response. I wish to add that we will be on the Escape. We have two 2 BR villas and one penthouse courtyard suite. Husband and I are bringing our 2 kids and their 4 children ( 7 yr old twins, 5 and 2 year old)All the adults will have drink packages, are canned soda an extra too? Will the butler bring glasses of soda in the room without extra charge? Will prob get sodas from the bar. Juices are mainly for the kids, no soda for them. Good idea to suggest to remove all for sale items from room as I can see the kids opening everything.

In the Haven restaurant or room service, can I order sashimi and sushi everyday or is that only available in the specialty restaurants?  Thanks.

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You don't need to leave a letter or note for the Butler. You can just have a normal conversation with him or her.  Works very well.  🙂 

I agree.    It sometimes seems we have lost the art of one on one communication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Thanks

There is no note for snacks in the cabin. We learned about the availability of the various snacks through Cruise Critic and experience. I should note that on our recent Haven and Suite cruises since the Pandemic, the variety of snacks has been greatly limited. Candy and bar mix are almost always available, but we haven't seen shrimp cocktail since before the Pandemic. One butler said that he had discussed our note with the Concierge who told him that they would be limited to what the kitchen had to offer. On our most recent Suite cruise the afternoon snacks were pitiful; most of which we didn't touch. I hope that your experience will be better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

can I order sashimi and sushi everyday

NO, only at specialty restaurants.  Soda's, only with soda or drink package.  I think you are expecting more then you will receive at the Haven.  My concern is your expectation of what they will do or not do is going to disappoint you.  Remember, this is the VIP section of a Mainstream Cruise Brand.  Not ultra-luxury all inclusive which cost the same as a new small SUV.  

13 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

Thank you very much for your response. I wish to add that we will be on the Escape. We have two 2 BR villas and one penthouse courtyard suite. Husband and I are bringing our 2 kids and their 4 children ( 7 yr old twins, 5 and 2 year old)All the adults will have drink packages, are canned soda an extra too? Will the butler bring glasses of soda in the room without extra charge? Will prob get sodas from the bar. Juices are mainly for the kids, no soda for them. Good idea to suggest to remove all for sale items from room as I can see the kids opening everything.

In the Haven restaurant or room service, can I order sashimi and sushi everyday or is that only available in the specialty restaurants?  Thanks.

NCL does not provide alcohol deliveries to suites with the drink package.  I am not sure about soda but the same rule may apply.  Any can soda whether delivered or from the mini fridge will be billed to your account.  You can ask your butler to bring a pitcher of soda.  If everyone in the cabin has the soda or drink package maybe its allowed.  I am sure its not a big deal.  It gets into a grey area because YES, NCL does treat canned drinks differently than fountain ones.  I once had a butler bring a can of soda but she made me promise her not to tell anyone.  So your butler will know best what they can bring you in the drinks department.  Escape has a Haven lounge and you could get unlimited soda right from the bar.  Juices are easily scored in the morning during the breakfast buffet area.  They will have orange juice and apple juice for you to fill glasses.  Juice at other times may or may not have a charge.  Different ships, different butlers, etc make it a tough call to know for sure.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 8:49 AM, Sthrngary said:

@gojigirl I am the Author of the "Butler Letter" concept.  I am also the CruiseCritic.com author of the op-ed "The secrets of the Haven VIP Experience".  As you can see from the responses, the "Butler Letter" can be controversial.  Some use it and love it, other don't.  It is like all aspects of a cruise.  To each his own.  

The origins of the letter was lackluster butler performance in my past.  The letter evolved over time to be an outline of my families likes and dislikes.  It all started after a very frank conversation with two butlers.  The shared confidentially that many of their guest simply do not provide them a gratuity.  The reason they felt was they were not part of the "Pre-Paid" gratuity program.  After this happened over and over again, it effected their attitude because their income dropped.  

I thought to myself, what if we broke tradition and gave the butler their entire gratuity on day one with a letter.  The moment I started this, I never had an issue with a butler being attentive.  That is my experience and how the "Butler Letter" came to be.  I was always very careful how I introduced the gratuities within the letter.  A sample letter is attached in an earlier post on this thread.  I am an old timer and cruise all my life.  To provide a gratuity upfront was against every thing I had ever done on a cruise.  I did not want to offend anyone, just wanted an attentive butler. 

I dislike even talking about this subject because so many people are critical of approach without even using it as intended.  Every post I do I have only one goal in mind.  Improve in someway the cruising experience.  Today, with all the cut backs, and brand cost savings; an attentive butler can and usually does make all the difference.  Those that disagree with me approach, please share what you do that has worked.  All that matters is our individual enjoyment. 

Allow me to chime in as one who took this idea and ran with it.  As so many others did, I learnt a great deal from Gary's posts, but the most successful for the Good Mrs. Benson and myself was the employment of our butler letter.

I used Gary's template, but put it in my own language, as I am a more formal gent than he is.  I also modified his approach of tipping the butler in advance, by tipping our butler only half of the amount I would eventually tender to him.  As I put it in our letter, "As a token of our confidence in your service, we've enclosed part of your well-deserved tip in advance."

The concept of tipping in advance is, perhaps, the greatest generator of the controversy over Gary's posts.  Some folks, logically, feel that a tip shouldn't be proffered until the end of the voyage, when the quality of the butler's service has been established.  Others see tipping in advance as a bribe.

It works for Gary, and it worked for us.  As has been pointed out, embarkation day is the butler's busiest time on a cruise; he's pulled in a dozen different directions.  So, we didn't expect any of our specific requests in the letter to be met until the next day.  We would've been fine with that.

However, our butler returned within the hour, fulfilling every one of our requests and then some.  And he performed at the same level for us throughout the cruise, including applying a little MacGyver-like wizardry when I lost the tip of my cane in a battle with an elevator.  On our last night, we were happy to provide him with the other half of our tip, and a little more for measure.

I can relate only how it transpired for the Good Mrs. Benson and myself.  The recourses described here by other posters---short notes with bullet points, verbal instructions---have merit.  Those methods work for those Haven voyagers and they may work for you.  But I liked Gary's idea and it worked for us famously.  

And I'm not anywhere near the swell guy Gary is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

Allow me to chime in as one who took this idea and ran with it.  As so many others did, I learnt a great deal from Gary's posts, but the most successful for the Good Mrs. Benson and myself was the employment of our butler letter.

I used Gary's template, but put it in my own language, as I am a more formal gent than he is.  I also modified his approach of tipping the butler in advance, by tipping our butler only half of the amount I would eventually tender to him.  As I put it in our letter, "As a token of our confidence in your service, we've enclosed part of your well-deserved tip in advance."

The concept of tipping in advance is, perhaps, the greatest generator of the controversy over Gary's posts.  Some folks, logically, feel that a tip shouldn't be proffered until the end of the voyage, when the quality of the butler's service has been established.  Others see tipping in advance as a bribe.

It works for Gary, and it worked for us.  As has been pointed out, embarkation day is the butler's busiest time on a cruise; he's pulled in a dozen different directions.  So, we didn't expect any of our specific requests in the letter to be met until the next day.  We would've been fine with that.

However, our butler returned within the hour, fulfilling every one of our requests and then some.  And he performed at the same level for us throughout the cruise, including applying a little MacGyver-like wizardry when I lost the tip of my cane in a battle with an elevator.  On our last night, we were happy to provide him with the other half of our tip, and a little more for measure.

I can relate only how it transpired for the Good Mrs. Benson and myself.  The recourses described here by other posters---short notes with bullet points, verbal instructions---have merit.  Those methods work for those Haven voyagers and they may work for you.  But I liked Gary's idea and it worked for us famously.  

And I'm not anywhere near the swell guy Gary is.

Hello kind sir. I hope you got my email soon me time back. All my best and looking forward to your upcoming reviews. 

11 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

I just modified mine to add this. Thank you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

It works for Gary, and it worked for us. 

Except that you can’t tell whether “it worked,” because you don’t know what would have happened without the “pre-tip.”   Many of us have had excellent service without feeling the need to hand over cash at the outset, which might actually be construed by the recipient as insulting, as the guest not having confidence in their ability to do their job without money up front. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

Hello kind sir. I hope you got my email soon me time back. All my best and looking forward to your upcoming reviews. 

I did, indeed, receive it.  As gracious as ever, sir.  If the Fates ever throw us together on the same cruise, no doubt we will have to Indian wrestle to see who buys whom the first drink.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

. . . hand over cash at the outset, which might actually be construed by the recipient as insulting, as the guest not having confidence in their ability to do their job without money up front. 

That's a risk I'm willing to take.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:43 PM, david_sobe said:

We will be on Gateway. And thank you for answering my ??

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:43 PM, david_sobe said:

We will be on Gateway. And thank you for answering my ??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

NO, only at specialty restaurants.  Soda's, only with soda or drink package.  I think you are expecting more then you will receive at the Haven.  My concern is your expectation of what they will do or not do is going to disappoint you.  Remember, this is the VIP section of a Mainstream Cruise Brand.  Not ultra-luxury all inclusive which cost the same as a new small SUV.  

Sorry, but you are being a bit judgemental here.  You eat steak and ulimited lobster tails so all I am asking is sushi and sashimi, similar price points but different culinary preferences. Why am I the one who is expecting too much? I am just asking....... Chill.

Edited by westcoastmom

6 minutes ago, westcoastmom said:

Sorry, but you are being a bit judgemental here.  You eat steak and ulimited lobster tails so all I am asking is sushi and sashimi, similar price points but different preferences. Why am I the one who is expecting too much? I am just asking.......

Ummmmm....he's setting your expectations so you're not disappointed. Yes, you can have as much steak and lobster (and shrimp) as you'd like at no additional charge, provided it comes from the Haven Restaurant. If you want sushi or sashimi you have to order it or go to the specialty restaurant. You also have to pay the upcharge. 

You can have as much sushi as you'd like delivered to you. You'll just have to pay for it. That's what Gary is telling you. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@cruiseny4lifeThis will be my 20th cruise. I first started on the Carnival inside room when my kids were toddlers and now they have their own families. I've cruised from Carnival, Princess, HAL, Viking, Oceania and Silverseas so I know different levels of service. This is the first time I've done NCL that's why I am asking questions. Your response is on point without being judgemental. Thank you.

11 minutes ago, westcoastmom said:

Sorry, but you are being a bit judgemental here.  You eat steak and ulimited lobster tails so all I am asking is sushi and sashimi, similar price points but different culinary preferences. Why am I the one who is expecting too much? I am just asking....... Chill.

You have every right to feel I was judgmental.  I did not explain my comment as I would have normally done.  That was my bad completely. Let’s start over. I wrote the op-Ed the secrets of the Haven VIP experience.  My emphasis as to assist cruisecritic.com members with all the value and amenities available in the NCL Haven.  The first publishing was 5 years ago.  It was revised, early 2022.  I really wanted to make a difference in how Haven Guest can enjoy the experience.  Then many folk would post items that were rare, or were unrealistic.  New Haven Guest would have an unrealistic expectations that led to disappointment.  

My concern was to explain, which I did poorly, that sushi could be ordered, at a cost to the Haven Guest, from the Sushi restaurant if on board and opened at the time. You were right to call me out for my comment. My heart was in the right place but my worded didn’t reflect it. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@SthrngaryAs you can see, I first joined CC in 2004 but I only have 123 posts so I really appreciate cruisers who spend time answering questions and giving advice based on their experience. I especially appreciate your efforts. Please keep up the good work. 

This is my very first cruise with my grandchildren and I want to ensure they have the best experience.

Edited by westcoastmom
  • Like 2