Letter to butler in Haven

JennyLou97

For what it's worth (and it's not worth much), we print 1/4 page note paper to leave instructions / requests to our room steward and butler. Nothing prepared in advance (other than printing a few sheets of note paper).

And we usually put our requests to the concierge team in writing, so there is no confusion on what we want and when we want it. I have seen people firing off request while standing at the concierge counter,,, and I know that half of those requests will be misunderstood or missed by the poor staff. 

image.png.fcd619f21c175f8f9e843de482639809.png

• Like 5

No disrespect for Sthrngary, but I believe that considering the first day of a cruise is the busiest for butlers, a much shorter note would be appreciated and accomplish the same mission. I have used the following note on our last several cruises and have had excellent results.

"For our Butler:

"We look forward to sailing with you for the next 17 days. We have sailed on NCL, in the Haven, on many cruises, and have found that it helps to communicate what we like and don’t like on the first day.

These are the requests that we submitted to the concierge desk and accessibility desk.

1. Firm Pillows
  2. Light blanket and light Duvet
  3. Empty the mini-fridge
  4. Pitcher of orange juice in the mini-fridge
  5. Distilled water for a CPAP

As for afternoon snacks, we don’t care for canapes, chocolate covered strawberries or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

We do enjoy cheese and crackers, (especially blue cheese), sandwiches, shrimp cocktail, chips and salsa, cashews, pretzels, potato chips, bar mix, some fruit and an occasional cookie.

We also like to have drinks in the room, so we would appreciate a second ice bucket.

Thank you,"

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Falckon said:

No disrespect for Sthrngary, but I believe that considering the first day of a cruise is the busiest for butlers, a much shorter note would be appreciated and accomplish the same mission. I have used the following note on our last several cruises and have had excellent results.

"For our Butler:

"We look forward to sailing with you for the next 17 days. We have sailed on NCL, in the Haven, on many cruises, and have found that it helps to communicate what we like and don’t like on the first day.

These are the requests that we submitted to the concierge desk and accessibility desk.

1. Firm Pillows
  2. Light blanket and light Duvet
  3. Empty the mini-fridge
  4. Pitcher of orange juice in the mini-fridge
  5. Distilled water for a CPAP

As for afternoon snacks, we don’t care for canapes, chocolate covered strawberries or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

We do enjoy cheese and crackers, (especially blue cheese), sandwiches, shrimp cocktail, chips and salsa, cashews, pretzels, potato chips, bar mix, some fruit and an occasional cookie.

We also like to have drinks in the room, so we would appreciate a second ice bucket.

Thank you,"

This is closer to our approach.

We may have a few more items/topics, and we tend to put them all as relatively brief bullet points, after perhaps 2-3 intro sentences.

We HIGHLIGHT OR EMPHASIZE anything important, such as food allergies.

Bottom line, we try to make it as easy as possible for the Butler to help us have a terrific vacation.  Win/win.  🙂

That first afternoon/evening is no doubt a bit crazy for them.

And we also do give a partial tip when we first meet.  I did this on our second "Butler" cruise, as it was just before the major holidays.  I mentioned something like that this was a little something in hopes it could help make Christmas more special for their family at home.  We got *very* appreciative responses, and extraordinary service.  So we've just kept it up, without the 'holiday' mention.

We do also mention that any "privacy" sign is NOT for the Butler; they can come in anytime after a quick knock (or buzzer, depending); the 'privacy" sign if for anyone else.  If we do not want to be disturbed, we'll just bolt the door.

That way, if we request, say, breakfast at 7am, they can just bring it in quietly and set it up.  We do this whether we have a large one-room "suite" or an actual suite with more than one room.  The Butlers are professionals, and this has always worked like a charm.  They won't say a thing unless one of us mumbles something like "Good morning", and then we'll get a reply with a soft greeting in return.  Unless we start "talking", that's "it" in terms of conversation.  It's pretty nice to be awakened by the very soft clink of some china, and the aroma of coffee and, say, bacon!

And sometimes we are already up, of course.

Ah... I wish we had definite plans for a cruise soon...

Our last cruise was to NZ/Australia in Nov/Dec, 2019, and we got back home just in time...

GC

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We do also mention that any "privacy" sign is NOT for the Butler; they can come in anytime after a quick knock (or buzzer, depending); the 'privacy" sign if for anyone else.  If we do not want to be disturbed, we'll just bolt the door.

GeezerCouple, I like this idea and will use it on our upcoming TA in two weeks. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Falckon said:

GeezerCouple, I like this idea and will use it on our upcoming TA in two weeks. Thanks!

It's worked very well.

And of course, their keycards can open the door, so it's not like we need to leave it unlocked or partly open.

No butler has seemed surprised by the comment.  So... either this isn't "new to them" or... they are terrific at "handling any request/comment/situation politely and with a straight face".

😄

Probably both of those, eh? 😉

GC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Falckon said:

No offense taken, absolutely none.  My letter has grown over the years.  The things I ask are items I would like to have happen day one most of the time.  My gift in life is NOT being short of words, LOL.

I really like your letter, nice job.  Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I have bids in for a Haven Upgrade for the BA 19 Dec cruise and I am slowing pulling things together (just in case we get the email) ... one thing that I read somewhere is that the crew appreciate little gifts of snacks or necessities because they are not supposed to disembark so can't stock up - so, 1. is this still the case 2. if yes, would you include the butler on the list of people to give something to. 3. what are good ideas to give to the crew and 4. maybe we ignore all that and give everyone a Christmas card with some cash and some Christmas treats... on top of the tips and gratuities and letter to the butler.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tafawke said:

I have bids in for a Haven Upgrade for the BA 19 Dec cruise and I am slowing pulling things together (just in case we get the email) ... one thing that I read somewhere is that the crew appreciate little gifts of snacks or necessities because they are not supposed to disembark so can't stock up - so, 1. is this still the case 2. if yes, would you include the butler on the list of people to give something to. 3. what are good ideas to give to the crew and 4. maybe we ignore all that and give everyone a Christmas card with some cash and some Christmas treats... on top of the tips and gratuities and letter to the butler.

Give them money! Always the right color, size, and fit 🙂 They do get to disembark, and I think they would rather pick out their own necessities. I bring note cards with me and write a personal note to my butler, concierge and room steward with tips enclosed.

Edited by KateQ22003
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, tafawke said:

We were on the first sailing of Getaway.  I brought a bunch of Lifesavers, with a little note tag from Etsy reading "Thank you for everything you do".  I also bought some Bath & Body Works hand sanitizers that could be put in a pocket.   I will be ordering chocolate bars for my upcoming cruise in January, and I've purchased Thank You wrappers.  I understand Fritos and Doritos are much-loved and not available in the ship vending machines.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 7:24 PM, Sthrngary said:

I appreciate you asking and I do have a template.  I must say I change these letters from cruise to cruise. I have a template that I hope you can use as a guide or cut/paste document.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

Butler_NCL_Cruises_Template.docx 25.01 kB · 266 downloads

Came back to find this. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My pleasure.  Just used it on my NCL Joy cruise last week.  Worked perfectly.  Our butler name was Lucky.  Great guy and did a Great joy.

I hope we get Lucky. 🙂 Cruising on the Joy end of January for our 40th Anniversary

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, gojigirl said:

So this is our first time in the Haven.  This is the first I'm reading about he note to the Butler.  Can anyone tell me, where do you send or leave the note for the Butler to read?

Thanks!

We have the "Butler letter" (and a shorter letter for the Steward) folded with us in our suite so that when the Butler comes to introduce him/herself that first afternoon/evening, we just hand it over personally.  We'll say something like, "Here is some information about us, including food allergies.  Please don't bother reading it right now; we know this is a very busy time.  If you have any questions, let us know tomorrow.  Thanks so much!"

Invariably, they return, either later that evening or the next morning, with our letter and a pen, with some questions, and they have also always said how helpful this is.  (Of course, being as polite as they are, I'm sure they'd say that even if they didn't think so! 😉 )

GC

• Like 2

We just take a piece of paper the size of an index cad and jot down a few things. One for the butler

and one for the room steward. We write the cabin number on it with our name at the top then

hand it to them when we see them for the first time.

Then a list of requests trying to keep it under 5 items.

This past cruise for the room steward it said 1. more hand towels please 2. if possible towel

animals (time permitting) and 3. Make up and put away sofa bed.

The shorter the better. Only the most important items on the first day are mentioned.

9 hours ago, gojigirl said:

So this is our first time in the Haven.  This is the first I'm reading about he note to the Butler.  Can anyone tell me, where do you send or leave the note for the Butler to read?

Thanks!

You don't need to leave a letter or note for the Butler. You can just have a normal conversation with him or her.  Works very well.  🙂 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gojigirl said:

Thanks!

First, there is no need for a letter. Just talk with your butler and let them know of any special requests. 

We print a couple of sheets of 1/4 page note paper to leave messages to our butler and room steward. Here's what we gave to our butler on embarkation day back in August. 

image.png.671dbed2912a3e951280f7b10ac34df4.png

And don't forget that your butler and concierge are not part of the Daily Service Charge and should be tipped independently - preferably in cash. 

• Like 2

We also do not write a letter, we simply meet them and whatever things we would like we ask for. Always had success and if it cant be done no big deal. We are back in the Haven on our Joy Cruise on April 8th 2023

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gojigirl said:

Thanks!

@gojigirl I am the Author of the "Butler Letter" concept.  I am also the CruiseCritic.com author of the op-ed "The secrets of the Haven VIP Experience".  As you can see from the responses, the "Butler Letter" can be controversial.  Some use it and love it, other don't.  It is like all aspects of a cruise.  To each his own.  

The origins of the letter was lackluster butler performance in my past.  The letter evolved over time to be an outline of my families likes and dislikes.  It all started after a very frank conversation with two butlers.  The shared confidentially that many of their guest simply do not provide them a gratuity.  The reason they felt was they were not part of the "Pre-Paid" gratuity program.  After this happened over and over again, it effected their attitude because their income dropped.  

I thought to myself, what if we broke tradition and gave the butler their entire gratuity on day one with a letter.  The moment I started this, I never had an issue with a butler being attentive.  That is my experience and how the "Butler Letter" came to be.  I was always very careful how I introduced the gratuities within the letter.  A sample letter is attached in an earlier post on this thread.  I am an old timer and cruise all my life.  To provide a gratuity upfront was against every thing I had ever done on a cruise.  I did not want to offend anyone, just wanted an attentive butler. 

I dislike even talking about this subject because so many people are critical of approach without even using it as intended.  Every post I do I have only one goal in mind.  Improve in someway the cruising experience.  Today, with all the cut backs, and brand cost savings; an attentive butler can and usually does make all the difference.  Those that disagree with me approach, please share what you do that has worked.  All that matters is our individual enjoyment. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2