Letter to butler in Haven

JennyLou97

There is no *need* to leave a letter or note.

However, just think of a Butler that first day, with *all* new passengers (most likely)...

New Passenger in Suite 1:  "My child is allergic to X, so please don't bring any snacks containing that to us.  We can't have *any* X in the room AT ALL!  Thanks so much!!"

Suite 2:  "We always appreciate extra bath linens. [Note: This one bit is verbatim from our own Butler letter 😉]  And my kids love gummy bears, M&Ms, and that kind of thing!  Oh, and could we have a pitcher of iced tea kept in our mini-fridge all the time?" 

3:  "So nice to meet you.  We are Dick and Jane, and we're from AnyCity, and this is our first Haven suite, so please let us know what choices we have.  We are soooo excited to be here! We sleep late on vacations, so could you please tell our steward not to come in to make up the room too early?  Thanks!  Oh, we understand there are snacks.  Could you please explain what's available?  And do you have any suggestions about excursions at each of the places this boat goes?  What are your favorite places to visit?"

4: "Hi. Nice to meet you!"

5:  "Could I please get a photo of you and your name tag so we can remember it?  And what is the name of our steward?  Could you write that down for me please?  Thanks!"

6:  [can't be found, must be exploring ship, will need to keep checking for introduction...]

7:  "Thanks in advance for your help.  We *MUST NOT* have ANY gluten.  Mr.Suite7 has very serious celiac disease!  He was hospitalized twice recently, too, so it's really important.  And cross contamination IS a real problem for him, so please be sure there are no mistakes!  And I hate any kind of nuts, so don't bother to bring any please.  I can't even stand the sight of them!  Thanks.  We are SO excited to be on vacation finally!  Don't forget, NO GLUTEN!  Oh, and NO NUTS, also!  But maybe if there are cashews.  Those are okay, actually."

8: "We really don't need anything and prefer not to be disturbed at all! Thank you."

9. "We'd really love towel animals if possible..."

10. "Please don't bother with towel animals.  We don't want to take up your time."

11. [Much like #7, but diabetes and sugar...]

12. "Could you get this suit and dress pressed for us for dinner tonight?  It's our anniversary, so we want it to be special!  Thanks so much!"

And yet, they still remember names!  Amazing!  Some hospitality people (land and sea) have a remarkable ability to keep names straight.  I have no idea how they do it.  I tend to manage to forget a name about 30 seconds after being introduced.  Very embarrassing, time and time again. 😞 

*Every* time we've handed our Butler a letter, they have spoken about it later and thanked us, and almost always asked a question or two.  *They* have said how helpful it is.  Yes, I realize they may just be saying that to be polite, but the note doesn't hurt.  OTOH, there's no need for a detailed essay...

And if they didn't find it helpful, I'm sure they are usually too busy to make a special visit to discuss any questions they may have or ask about any choices, etc.

And we have a header on the page with our suite number and our names.  Don't forget that part! 😉  

And they can always just toss it, sooner rather than later, as they see fit...

I can't imagine how crazed things must be for them that first afternoon/evening.
That's why we tell them that they can read the letter later or tomorrow... no hurry.

And we also offer part of the tip upfront, much like CDR Benson.

We've had all but one truly wonderful Butlers.  That one misfit was the first, so we didn't realize what we were missing.  The others have really made the cruise *much* more special!

GC

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, westcoastmom said:

@SthrngaryAs you can see, I first joined CC in 2004 but I only have 123 posts so I really appreciate cruisers who spend time answering questions and giving advice based on their experience. I especially appreciate your efforts. Please keep up the good work. 

This is my very first cruise with my grandchildren and I want to ensure they have the best experience.

@westcoastmom They will have a ball. I recently took my three adult children on the NCL Joy.  It was there first Haven Experience. My daughter thought I was being bougie. Until she was treated like a Rock Star.  It was my 43rd wedding anniversary cruise. A great time was had by all. 

Ask me anything you like.  Happy to help you make this a great cruise.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

There is no *need* to leave a letter or note.

However, just think of a Butler that first day, with *all* new passengers (most likely)...

New Passenger in Suite 1:  "My child is allergic to X, so please don't bring any snacks containing that to us.  We can't have *any* X in the room AT ALL!  Thanks so much!!"

Suite 2:  "We always appreciate extra bath linens. [Note: This one bit is verbatim from our own Butler letter 😉]  And my kids love gummy bears, M&Ms, and that kind of thing!  Oh, and could we have a pitcher of iced tea kept in our mini-fridge all the time?" 

3:  "So nice to meet you.  We are Dick and Jane, and we're from AnyCity, and this is our first Haven suite, so please let us know what choices we have.  We are soooo excited to be here! We sleep late on vacations, so could you please tell our steward not to come in to make up the room too early?  Thanks!  Oh, we understand there are snacks.  Could you please explain what's available?  And do you have any suggestions about excursions at each of the places this boat goes?  What are your favorite places to visit?"

4: "Hi. Nice to meet you!"

5:  "Could I please get a photo of you and your name tag so we can remember it?  And what is the name of our steward?  Could you write that down for me please?  Thanks!"

6:  [can't be found, must be exploring ship, will need to keep checking for introduction...]

7:  "Thanks in advance for your help.  We *MUST NOT* have ANY gluten.  Mr.Suite7 has very serious celiac disease!  He was hospitalized twice recently, too, so it's really important.  And cross contamination IS a real problem for him, so please be sure there are no mistakes!  And I hate any kind of nuts, so don't bother to bring any please.  I can't even stand the sight of them!  Thanks.  We are SO excited to be on vacation finally!  Don't forget, NO GLUTEN!  Oh, and NO NUTS, also!  But maybe if there are cashews.  Those are okay, actually."

8: "We really don't need anything and prefer not to be disturbed at all! Thank you."

9. "We'd really love towel animals if possible..."

10. "Please don't bother with towel animals.  We don't want to take up your time."

11. [Much like #7, but diabetes and sugar...]

12. "Could you get this suit and dress pressed for us for dinner tonight?  It's our anniversary, so we want it to be special!  Thanks so much!"

And yet, they still remember names!  Amazing!  Some hospitality people (land and sea) have a remarkable ability to keep names straight.  I have no idea how they do it.  I tend to manage to forget a name about 30 seconds after being introduced.  Very embarrassing, time and time again. 😞 

*Every* time we've handed our Butler a letter, they have spoken about it later and thanked us, and almost always asked a question or two.  *They* have said how helpful it is.  Yes, I realize they may just be saying that to be polite, but the note doesn't hurt.  OTOH, there's no need for a detailed essay...

And if they didn't find it helpful, I'm sure they are usually too busy to make a special visit to discuss any questions they may have or ask about any choices, etc.

And we have a header on the page with our suite number and our names.  Don't forget that part! 😉  

And they can always just toss it, sooner rather than later, as they see fit...

I can't imagine how crazed things must be for them that first afternoon/evening.
That's why we tell them that they can read the letter later or tomorrow... no hurry.

And we also offer part of the tip upfront, much like CDR Benson.

We've had all but one truly wonderful Butlers.  That one misfit was the first, so we didn't realize what we were missing.  The others have really made the cruise *much* more special!

GC

I don't know if I should laugh, cry, or just shake my head in agreement. I do believe you've encapsulated a butler's first few hours with new cruisers. We like to think of ourselves as low key (kind of #'s 8 and 10), but I'm sure we're not. $1,000 tips per room, or not, I do know I would never want to be a butler! 

Thanks for the laugh? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

We will be on Gateway. And thank you for answering my ??

No problem.  You will find that some butlers will do things and bring you things that you never asked for or imagined.  While some butlers keep their distance not to bother you and only respond to your requests.  You can have your first meeting with him/her and explain what you want.  If you have kids, chances are the butler will want to spoil them with cookies and treats.  And yes I've had some butlers bring me some things like a dessert from Haven restaurant we never asked for but found out we liked. 

This is a terrific thread.  Thanks to all who have offered suggestions on how to craft and deliver a Butler letter.  

For our Northern Europe Prima cruise this September, we will have our specific port plans set by the time we board (mostly independent).  Knowing there still could be unforeseen changes (weather etc), would you suggest that somewhere in the initial letter we share those plans with the Butler (so they better understand why we may be looking for specific things at specific times some days) or just tell him/her the night before each event?

TIA

Does anyone just list their needs/wants/preferences with the precruise concierge?  We have cruised in the Haven for years and thought that was the expectation.  The butler always seems to have received the information before we ever board the ship. 

5 hours ago, DebbieCruises said:

Does anyone just list their needs/wants/preferences with the precruise concierge?  We have cruised in the Haven for years and thought that was the expectation.  The butler always seems to have received the information before we ever board the ship. 

That has been hit or miss forever.  For us, as much as I said they were awful, they have been pretty good since 2015. Good with pre selected items being in room for most part.  They generally don't engage until 30days or less to sailing.  Ymmv

10 hours ago, DebbieCruises said:

While I passed our general room requests---e.g., empty the mini-fridge of all chargeable items, selection of pillow types, request for no towel animals (our feeling was the room steward was busy enough without begging more of his time to make us a terrycloth platypus)---to the pre-cruise concierge, I reserved specific requests that we wanted our butler to perform for the butler letter we would give him personally.

If I had passed our butler requests through the pre-cruise concierge, there's always the chance that something would get lost or miscommunicated in the transfer from pre-concierge to the butler.  Particularly since the pre-concierge desk doesn't interface with the ship's butlers directly.  The pre-concierge desk communicates with the Haven concierge on board the ship, who would then relay our information to the butler assigned to us.

That's too much chance for some or all of our butler requests to get lost in the ether, as far as I'm concerned.

Better to just go direct with the butler and establish our preferences.

• Thanks 2

On 11/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, GeezerCouple said:

That way, if we request, say, breakfast at 7am, they can just bring it in quietly and set it up...... It's pretty nice to be awakened by the very soft clink of some china, and the aroma of coffee and say, bacon!

This has always been one my favorite Haven perks. 😊

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:49 AM, mearsfansinboise said:

I have read, and did talk to some crew about this, that they do not want anything .... other than money.  And, they do actually disembark.  We've run into them at stores and/or see them coming back on board with take-out food or groceries when we are also coming back on board after a day in port.  

I second this. My sister and BIL both worked/lived on NCL ships for many years (although they held officer/staff positions, they know ALOT of crew!) People tend to have some misunderstanding around whether or not the crew can get off the ship or whether or not they have access to purchase toiletries, necessities, candy, etc. Yes, they can get off the ship! Only during Covid were there severe restrictions around that. Also, they have a crew store that has toiletries, snacks, tons of chocolate (lol) and a lot more at GREATLY discounted prices. Also (don't be shocked!) there is an address where they can receive as many packages as they want, so they can order from Amazon, Sephora, Target or any store their heart desires! The only catch here is that this works well/best when they are based out of a U.S. port. The crew is not in jail. We don't need to bring them toothpaste and socks. 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jbcallender said:

We gave ours a letter, not sure we will next time.  We ended up getting a lot of snacks and canapes we didn't eat.....I did do a partial tip in advance and I'm on the fence about that too. may wait 'til the end next time.

To give credit, I used Sthrngary's template for the letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this on another thread:  You do what you have to in order to enhance your experience.  ... and that's how I feel about the butler letter.  Maybe what you "have to" or "feel you need to" or just plain "want to" to enhance your experience.  Sounds like the butler letter is not everyone's cup of tea, but, it's worked for us thus far ...

Edited by mearsfansinboise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

I didn't even know the existence of a precruise concierge. This is the first time on NCL and first time Haven suites. My travel agent went incommunicado once she got our booking so this thread is very helpful.

Our TA has never been involved with pre-cruise concierge.  NCL sends a letter about 50 days out or you can contact via email or phone.  TA has no reason to contact unless some change comes up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

I didn't even know the existence of a precruise concierge. This is the first time on NCL and first time Haven suites. My travel agent went incommunicado once she got our booking so this thread is very helpful.

@westcoastmom I am happy you found this thread.  Since this is the first time you have gone in the Haven, please also look up my thread called, "The Secrets of the NCL Haven VIP Experience."  It should be on the first two pages of the CruiseCritic.com blog for NCL.  The Pre-Cruise Concierge is a lovely amenity.  I am not sure when your cruise is so here are some other hints.

Specialty Restaurants:  You can book your specialty restaurants 130 days ahead of departure.  Smart to do so because the fill up very quickly.  

Online Registration:  You should consider doing the online registration as soon as it is available to do so.  Two approaches when offered port check in.  First which I do is as early as possible.  I want to be on the ship as soon as I can.  The other is Later usually because of flights.  The Haven Benefit is you can do it anytime you want however I have found booking it early seems to help the process be seamless. 

There are lots of ways to leverage your Haven experience.  The kind folks on this and other Haven Threads will help you.  Feel free to ask anything you want or need.  I will do my personal best to assist as well.  

• Like 1

As I have said before- we're first timers- leaving this Sunday on the Getaway- we sent an email to the Pre Concierge as we wanted to switch the time of our reservation for one of the shows) booked the earlier show but was afraid we may have to rush through dinner- so wanted to move it to the later slot, we also couldn't find a reservation at Cagney's for 2, we gave them 2 dates & preferred times. 

It was on the weekend but within 48 hrs we had an email reply- they made the switch for the show & booked our dinner reservation, explained that we wouldn't see it on the app- our on ship concierge would have the info. 

A few days later we finally decided on an excursion for PC- but couldn't find it any longer- sent a note- responded overnight0 said it was fully booked but put us on the waitlist & our on site concierge would follow up. 

We limited our requests to these types of items- but do have a brief butler letter in development, with mostly info related to who we are- & not a lot of needs. We really want to experience the Haven experience for what it is-not change or miss out on something because we over researched the experience (I'm sure I've over research- lol I have read every thread more than one- so excited)   Can't wait to report back on what a great time we had. 

Thanks to all that have shared especially @Sthrngary

Happy cruising 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nmuller328 said:

As I have said before- we're first timers- leaving this Sunday on the Getaway- we sent an email to the Pre Concierge as we wanted to switch the time of our reservation for one of the shows) booked the earlier show but was afraid we may have to rush through dinner- so wanted to move it to the later slot, we also couldn't find a reservation at Cagney's for 2, we gave them 2 dates & preferred times. 

It was on the weekend but within 48 hrs we had an email reply- they made the switch for the show & booked our dinner reservation, explained that we wouldn't see it on the app- our on ship concierge would have the info. 

A few days later we finally decided on an excursion for PC- but couldn't find it any longer- sent a note- responded overnight0 said it was fully booked but put us on the waitlist & our on site concierge would follow up. 

We limited our requests to these types of items- but do have a brief butler letter in development, with mostly info related to who we are- & not a lot of needs. We really want to experience the Haven experience for what it is-not change or miss out on something because we over researched the experience (I'm sure I've over research- lol I have read every thread more than one- so excited)   Can't wait to report back on what a great time we had. 

Thanks to all that have shared especially @Sthrngary

Happy cruising 

I'm glad you had such good experiences with the pre-cruise Concierge.  We haven't tried that, so we can't comment, obviously.

However, we've had great experiences with Butlers when using the starting "letter" AND also letting them know about any other requests or changes.  We bring some little Post-It pads, and IF there are any changes (timing for breakfast, new request for snack, request for help with dining reservations...), we always put that in the same *very* obvious place.

The Butlers are professionals, and want to do a good job (almost always!).  But they can't read minds, although a few seem to come close sometimes! 🙂 

One thing we always mention in the initial letter is that "we are usually flexible about timing, so that if we ever request something like a meal delivery at a time that conflicts with something else, please let us know, and we can probably easily adjust things", etc.

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 1

My first attempt to email the pre-concierge about a month ago didn't go well. No response, so I had to follow up with a phone call a little over a week later. I just emailed them to request a dinner reservation change, so we'll see how it goes this time.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:49 AM, Sthrngary said:

@gojigirl I am the Author of the "Butler Letter" concept.  I am also the CruiseCritic.com author of the op-ed "The secrets of the Haven VIP Experience".  As you can see from the responses, the "Butler Letter" can be controversial.  Some use it and love it, other don't.  It is like all aspects of a cruise.  To each his own.  

The origins of the letter was lackluster butler performance in my past.  The letter evolved over time to be an outline of my families likes and dislikes.  It all started after a very frank conversation with two butlers.  The shared confidentially that many of their guest simply do not provide them a gratuity.  The reason they felt was they were not part of the "Pre-Paid" gratuity program.  After this happened over and over again, it effected their attitude because their income dropped.  

I thought to myself, what if we broke tradition and gave the butler their entire gratuity on day one with a letter.  The moment I started this, I never had an issue with a butler being attentive.  That is my experience and how the "Butler Letter" came to be.  I was always very careful how I introduced the gratuities within the letter.  A sample letter is attached in an earlier post on this thread.  I am an old timer and cruise all my life.  To provide a gratuity upfront was against every thing I had ever done on a cruise.  I did not want to offend anyone, just wanted an attentive butler. 

I dislike even talking about this subject because so many people are critical of approach without even using it as intended.  Every post I do I have only one goal in mind.  Improve in someway the cruising experience.  Today, with all the cut backs, and brand cost savings; an attentive butler can and usually does make all the difference.  Those that disagree with me approach, please share what you do that has worked.  All that matters is our individual enjoyment. 

Thank you @Sthrngary We are taking our first NCL cruise this fall and will be in the Haven. I found your original "Secrets of the Haven" post after booking and found it really helpful. Like all things in life, it works for some and not for others. I'm of the mindset to "take what I like and leave the rest" when receiving advice or suggestions, so we will be following your thoughts for our Haven experience. I appreciate the time it took you to share your thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed in Suites and Haven many times with our kids through the years (who are both grown now).  DD (20yo now) and I are sailing on Escape in Haven this summer and are so stoked!  In the past, we have just gone with the flow and made a few requests of our butlers.  The cool thing is that he / she seemed to know exactly what we wanted without us saying a word! 

DD and I were talking the other day about what we would really enjoy if we could.  Is it too much to ask for specific canapes (i.e. salmon, caviar) and / or maybe chocolate covered strawberries every day?  I don't want to make it look like we are demanding or really needy and put too much on our butler.  What do you think?

13 minutes ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

Is it too much to ask for specific canapes (i.e. salmon, caviar) and / or maybe chocolate covered strawberries every day?  I don't want to make it look like we are demanding or really needy and put too much on our butler.  What do you think?

I should think it depends on the availability of what you request.  Chocolate-covered strawberries daily isn't a problem, I think.  (We got them every other day or so, without asking for them.)  Caviar or salmon are probably less ready for a daily delivery.  Caviar might even involve an additional charge.

Your butler shouldn't mind you asking, as long as you understand, with good graces, where he is limited by logistics or ship's protocol.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CDR Benson said:

I should think it depends on the availability of what you request.  Chocolate-covered strawberries daily isn't a problem, I think.  (We got them every other day or so, without asking for them.)  Caviar or salmon are probably less ready for a daily delivery.  Caviar might even involve an additional charge.

Your butler shouldn't mind you asking, as long as you understand, with good graces, where he is limited by logistics or ship's protocol.  

Thanks!  I was thinking of the canapes we had in the past... they were like a little tiny disc of bread with salmon mousse and topped with caviar... or cream cheese topped with a small piece of salmon..... thse were our fave!  Again, we are always pretty go-with-the-flow type of people and usually don't ask for much.  I know how hard they work and have had some great butlers in the past that I'm still friends with on social media.  I don't want to overdo it.  This is a pretty special cruise for us... just trying to think of ways to make it better.

Without going into details, DD and I have had some serious strife moments over the last 4 years...up until recently.  And, we've become so much closer now.  She has had to overcome some pretty serious challenges.  We are taking this cruise to celebrate just the two of us.  DH is not happy that I will graduate to Sapphire status while he sits in Platinum, though... LOL (JK of course - he's all for us doing this cruise together!)

12 minutes ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

I know how hard [butlers] work and have had some great butlers in the past that I'm still friends with on social media.  I don't want to overdo it.  This is a pretty special cruise for us... just trying to think of ways to make it better.

Let your butler know this, pretty much just the way you said it above, and he'll work as hard as he can to fulfil your requests, or make up for it in some other way, if he can't.

Here's hoping that you and your daughter have the most idyllic of voyages.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

Let your butler know this, pretty much just the way you said it above, and he'll work as hard as he can to fulfil your requests, or make up for it in some other way, if he can't.

Here's hoping that you and your daughter have the most idyllic of voyages.

Thank you so much!  We always try to be aware of how much all crew members work during our cruise.... and tip very, very well.  I think this cruise is going to be awesome no matter what!