Letter to butler in Haven

JennyLou97

2 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

Branbay, I am on the other end of the spectrum from my fellow correspondent, cruiseny4life.  I would wear a suit to any restaurant or occasion, except for the Good Mrs. Benson complaining that, if dress at that level, then she has to.  So, I scale back.

On our last cruise, of the eight times we dined in the Haven Restaurant, once I wore my service dress uniform (special event) and the rest I wore a sport coat with dress shirt and trousers.  (No necktie---I was on vacation, after all.)

And, like cruiseny4life, not once have I felt uncomfortable in the Haven Restaurant because of my attire.

The not-tongue-in-cheek part of this post, sir, is to iterate what cruiseny4life stated above.  Business casual attire, as he describes it, is the usual level of dress for the Haven Restaurant.  The point I am adding is that, no matter at what level you and your wife wish to dress (obviously, reductio ad absurdum exempted), you won't feel out of place.  With what you state as you and your wife prefering to wear, you'll fit in just fine.

Thank you, Commander, always appreciated.

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

The dress code for the haven restaurant is exactly the same as the (non dressy) MDR and (non dressy) specialty restaurants.  So your wife can pack as if she were not in the Haven, keeping your secret safe.  

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-I-pack

Thank you, gizfish, I appreciate it!

I just got off the phone with the pre-cruise concierge and inquired about having certain "food & drink" items in my stateroom. It was for simple things like unsweetened tea and chips and salsa, I was asked if I am in an Owners Suite which I am not, then I was told I am only allowed to have gummy bears and M&M's.  I think I'll stick with the butler letter once we embark.            

2 hours ago, Branbay said:

I just got off the phone with the pre-cruise concierge and inquired about having certain "food & drink" items in my stateroom. It was for simple things like unsweetened tea and chips and salsa, I was asked if I am in an Owners Suite which I am not, then I was told I am only allowed to have gummy bears and M&M's.  I think I'll stick with the butler letter once we embark.            

I always strongly advise to avoid the pre-concierge. You want to build a rapport with your butler and steward. Your butler will bring you any food on the ship. If the pre-concierge says you are “not allowed” tea, that just shows how incompetent they are. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I always strongly advise to avoid the pre-concierge. You want to build a rapport with your butler and steward. Your butler will bring you any food on the ship. If the pre-concierge says you are “not allowed” tea, that just shows how incompetent they are. 

I've had nothing but success in using the pre-concierge.  Besides, even if the pre-concierge says 'not allowed' that doesn't preclude asking the butler for the same items.

In fact, on our last cruise, the pre-concierge offered a menu of snacks we could have

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My whole family will be cruising on the NCL Escape for New England and since my son and son-in-law will be doing a lot of work on their computers, I am wondering if the internet access is good and fast enough. I've signed up for unlimited internet access for all of us.

I know the Haven Restaurant's menu is quite limited but are the menus in other dining rooms available in advance?

My TA recommends pre-paying all gratuities (except for butler) in advance together with the final payment as she says there may be more gratuities added later if we didn't prepay. Is there any difference?

55 minutes ago, westcoastmom said:

My whole family will be cruising on the NCL Escape for New England and since my son and son-in-law will be doing a lot of work on their computers, I am wondering if the internet access is good and fast enough. I've signed up for unlimited internet access for all of us.

I know the Haven Restaurant's menu is quite limited but are the menus in other dining rooms available in advance?

My TA recommends pre-paying all gratuities (except for butler) in advance together with the final payment as she says there may be more gratuities added later if we didn't prepay. Is there any difference?

What does this have to do with a "Butler Letter"?

You might get a lot more eyeballs looking at your question - and thus more answers - if you post a new thread titled about your particular question... including "Internet Access on NCL Escape" or "Pre-paying gratuities" or such.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

What does this have to do with a "Butler Letter"?

You might get a lot more eyeballs looking at your question - and thus more answers - if you post a new thread titled about your particular question... including "Internet Access on NCL Escape" or "Pre-paying gratuities" or such.

GC

You are right. Clicked on the wrong thread.

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 4:19 PM, BirdTravels said:

Hi Bird,

I have an odd question in regard to the power outlets in the room.  Are there USB ports located on the lamps by the bed? and by the vanity area, would I be able to bring say a non-surge-protected power strip? I just want to make sure I just wanted to ensure that I bring the proper amount of charging adapters.  Thanks! 

• 3 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 5:52 AM, Branbay said:

Hi Bird,

I have an odd question in regard to the power outlets in the room.  Are there USB ports located on the lamps by the bed? and by the vanity area, would I be able to bring say a non-surge-protected power strip? I just want to make sure I just wanted to ensure that I bring the proper amount of charging adapters.  Thanks! 

My understanding is that you should be able to request a power strip from your butler? 

On 4/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Fetching cocktails isn't a butler task.   Might be possible but you'll have to pay extra.

If you're in the Haven proper, it might be better for  you to fetch them from the bar yourself.

It's not? I was hoping to be able to call in for a Pina Colada while lounging on the balcony. 

What all can we use the butler for, other than the few items spoken about at the beginning of the cruise? I certainly don't want to ask for inappropriate requests. 

8 minutes ago, 2019dltaylor said:

It's not? I was hoping to be able to call in for a Pina Colada while lounging on the balcony. 

What all can we use the butler for, other than the few items spoken about at the beginning of the cruise? I certainly don't want to ask for inappropriate requests. 

Suggest  you read this thread as it discusses the butler in detail.  BTW, some butlers will fetch your drinks but it's not in their job description.  If one does, them that's above and beyound so tip well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2019dltaylor said:

You *can* ask your butler to bring you a Pina Colada, etc.

But you will need to pay for the drink itself (not any extra for the butler delivery service).

As for "inappropriate requests", the butlers are professionals.  Assuming you don't ask for anything, er, "questionable", they'll let you know if there is any difficulty or problem with helping you with your request, and what a solution might be.  But they'll do their best to be helpful and to fulfill your requests.  (They do work for tips, of course, even if they also get satisfaction from a job well done and knowing they've helped their passengers enjoy their trips even more.)

GC

• Like 1

Our family of 10 came back from a wonderful trip on the Escape in the Haven suites. I ended up not writing a letter to the butler but appreciated all the information about what butlers can do for you. I did call the pre cruise land concierge on what to put for snacks (one grandchild has peanut allergy) and what to put in the fridges. We had very few requests and our butler fulfilled them very well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish to add that for those who wish their butlers fetch their drinks (room service drinks are extra), you can just book a suite closest to the bar instead. We had 3 adjacent rooms and each of my kid has a 2 BR suite, just right inside the door to the lounge. Room to bar takes under 10 seconds; my kids loved it !!

Edited by westcoastmom

13 hours ago, 2019dltaylor said:

In fact, first words from butler ...can't bring you drinks under drink package to room..  Upscale!  Not.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

In fact, first words from butler ...can't bring you drinks under drink package to room..  Upscale!  Not.

Haha...I agree. Princess has it figured out for everyone on the ship...well everyone on the ship pre change from a few weeks ago. Now for a nominal fee, you can still get sips service anywhere onboard. NCL really needs to rethink this - I don't think they will, but they should.