All passengers to be vaxxed (including 5-11)?

Markanddonna

I just came across this article but it appears to apply to MSC in Europe, although it says fleetwide. It states that the vaccine rule doesn't apply to children under 11 since they can't get vaccinated, but that isn't true in the USA.  Does anyone have any more info?  We were hoping to take out unvaccinated 8 year old granddaughter on a Caribbean cruise.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26289-msc-cruises-to-require-all-guests-to-be-fully-vaccinated.html

Actually only the rules for the Med cruises have changed to fully vaccinated (except children 11 and under). Over here in Europe the EMA had approved the vaccine for 5-11 today and we won´t start vaccinating in Germany until Dec 20th.

As for cruises from a US port check out the US website. Nothing has changed for you.

steamboats

Greetings

The CDC and FDA have approved the Pizer vaccine for children as young as 5.  The cruise lines may start requiring them for children soon.  Disney Cruises has already announced that all kids 5 and up must be vaccinated for sailings after 13 January.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

5 minutes ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

The CDC and FDA have approved the Pizer vaccine for children as young as 5.  The cruise lines may start requiring them for children soon.  Disney Cruises has already announced that all kids 5 and up must be vaccinated for sailings after 13 January.

Good Sailing

Tom

NCL is already requiring children in the approved age range to be “fully vaccinated.”

Already some disappointed families as I understand.

Dennis

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

Actually only the rules for the Med cruises have changed to fully vaccinated (except children 11 and under). Over here in Europe the EMA had approved the vaccine for 5-11 today and we won´t start vaccinating in Germany until Dec 20th.

As for cruises from a US port check out the US website. Nothing has changed for you.

steamboats

Gone beyond ridiculous.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

I'm keeping a close eye on this, our two will be 8 and 11 at the time of sailing. Currently in the UK not Vaxing that age.

TBH UK under 17's would be screwed as 12 to 17 year olds are only getting one jab of a two jab vaccine and that doesn't count as fully vaxed either. Also currently under 18's vaccine record are not added to the NHS App for travel passes, so thats another problem even if they manage to get vaccinated fully.

In the UK I think there is going to be a big outcry that people haven't realised yet, travelling abroad with kids may come next to impossible.

We will be cruising on MSC Grandiosa on January 3rd from Genoa on YC.

Me and my wife are fully vaccinated, even with the 3rd dose. Our min concern is to find a laboratory in Genoa or Venice to do the Covid 19 test before we board the ship. We will be on Venice December 30 thru January 1.

Regards from Puerto Rico.

Edited by Petersnow

• 2 weeks later...

What I am wondering about is when MSC will change the language on their main page to include the possibility of a full vaccination for kids 5-11 yo. Mine is 10 and fully vaxxed now, and I would like to be able to go on non-ship excursions with him, but MSC website does not mention anything about fully vaxxed 5-11 yo kids, like it's not even a possibility at this point (for US sailings and US residents, of course). I hope they change it in the near future. As of right now, the default is - if the kid is younger than 12, they are unvaxxed.

10 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

What I am wondering about is when MSC will change the language on their main page to include the possibility of a full vaccination for kids 5-11 yo. Mine is 10 and fully vaxxed now, and I would like to be able to go on non-ship excursions with him, but MSC website does not mention anything about fully vaxxed 5-11 yo kids, like it's not even a possibility at this point (for US sailings and US residents, of course). I hope they change it in the near future. As of right now, the default is - if the kid is younger than 12, they are unvaxxed.

No need to mention anything... fully vaxxed is fully vacced regardless the age.

steamboats

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

No need to mention anything... fully vaxxed is fully vacced regardless the age.

steamboats

I beg to differ. When it comes to MSC, things'd better be spelled out.

RCI spells out the difference in protocols for kids under 12 depending on their vaxxed status. MSC doesn't even mention the possibility of under 12 being vaxxed.

If I show up with a 10 yo with a negative antigen test done 2 days before the cruise, and they turn me away because they don't have a protocol for that, whose fault will it be?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

22 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

If I show up with a 10 yo with a negative antigen test done 2 days before the cruise, and they turn me away because they don't have a protocol for that, whose fault will it be?

.. found this in my Cruise Ticket docs for Caribbean cruise on Seashore ..

-> 9. Any not fully vaccinated guest 2 years and older must provide documentation of a negative RT-PCR test at the pier. The test must be taken no later than 72 hours from your departure and the guest is responsible for the test and cost.

• Like 2

Here's from their website for the Caribbean. Of course, it can change at any time

.Guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated are able to cruise and must present proof of COVID-19 vaccine with the final dose being administered at least 14 days before the cruise. Children 11 years old and younger can sail as long as the adult(s) traveling with them are fully vaccinated

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

RCI spells out the difference in protocols for kids under 12 depending on their vaxxed status. MSC doesn't even mention the possibility of under 12 being vaxxed.

We are in the same "boat" with our 9 year old for the 12/19 Meraviglia sailing.  He is fully vaxxed (2 weeks post) this Sunday, and we want to make sure we show up at the port with the right test.  I currently have him scheduled for PCR Thursday the 16th and Antigen Friday the 17th.  If I don't get confirmation soon enough, he will be testing twice and bringing both with us.  I did get written confirmation from MSC Corporate that he will be treated as fully vaccinated for the purposes of excursions (being able to get off the ship on our own).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, slei15 said:

We are in the same "boat" with our 9 year old for the 12/19 Meraviglia sailing.  He is fully vaxxed (2 weeks post) this Sunday, and we want to make sure we show up at the port with the right test.  I currently have him scheduled for PCR Thursday the 16th and Antigen Friday the 17th.  If I don't get confirmation soon enough, he will be testing twice and bringing both with us.  I did get written confirmation from MSC Corporate that he will be treated as fully vaccinated for the purposes of excursions (being able to get off the ship on our own).

If I were in your “boat” I would do exactly as you are just to cover all bases. 
Better safe than sorry for sure!

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

No, as long as kids are vaxxed there is no difference. And RCI might mention that age group but the policy is the same for kids and adults as soon as they are vaxxed.

They don´t have anything on their website as kids 5 to 11 still can´t be vaxxed in Europe. They simply don´t think that far that kids can already be vaxxed in the US at this age.

When you only show up with an antigen test for the kid then you will be turned away. If you show up with the antigen test and a proof of vaccination for the kid you will be fine ;-).

steamboats