The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

I have to say, that cruising to and from Southampton looks pretty attractive from a holiday point of view,  at present. No worries about having to quarantine in a foreign country for 10 days,  re-arranging flights etc if you test positive.

Tested positive 24 hours prior to arrival in Southampton ? No problem. Move to a secure cabin for 24 hours, then disembark and go home to quarantine.  

Edited by wowzz

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have to say, that cruising to and from Southampton looks pretty attractive from a holiday point of view,  at present. No worries about having to quarantine in a foreign country for 10 days,  re-arranging flights etc if you test positive.

Tested positive 24 hours prior to arrival in Southampton ? No problem. Move to a secure cabin for 24 hours, then disembark and go home to quarantine.  

Not quite Wowzz. What if you get Covid during the cruise and are kicked off in a foreign port? The prospect of that happening is putting many of us off even doing round trip ex Southampton cruises. 

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Not quite Wowzz. What if you get Covid during the cruise and are kicked off in a foreign port? The prospect of that happening is putting many of us off even doing round trip ex Southampton cruises. 

Don't do anything that requires a test whilst on board ie avoid port excursions

All this assumes you are allowed to make your way home to quarantine yourselves if found positive and aren't forced to do quarantine in a Southampton quarantine hotel

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

All this assumes you are allowed to make your way home to quarantine yourselves if found positive and aren't forced to do quarantine in a Southampton quarantine hotel

Yes, that is a grey area. I can't see any official policy - probably because no one in the "blob" has considered it !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, that is a grey area. I can't see any official policy - probably because no one in the "blob" has considered it !

Agreed every decision is having to be made up as things happen and as rules change almost daily now

I wouldn't trust anyone to have the answers yet and even if they did rules change all the time and with pretty much zero notice

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's also interesting that we are all more worried about having to quarantine abroad more than we are worried about actually catching covid!

Que sera sera if you fall ill with covid,  but you do have a clear choice as to whether you cruise or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Don't do anything that requires a test whilst on board ie avoid port excursions

As long as the ports visited dont move to the red list, I cant see that, if on a cruise, you test positive on your pre departure test you would not be allowed to go home to quarantine, at least until Sajid decides otherwise.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Que sera sera if you fall ill with covid,  but you do have a clear choice as to whether you cruise or not.

It's already clear that we are all far more likely to catch the new variant than the old ones

I guess we need to know more about risks of this variant before we decide to cruise or not

The ease of transmission is definitely going to have a big impact on the cost of special cruise insurance though

With the current rules there's going to be an awful lot more passengers and their contacts getting disembarked and having to quarantine

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's also interesting that we are all more worried about having to quarantine abroad more than we are worried about actually catching covid!

We certainly are, yes. To be clear, we have no desire to catch Covid, but given that we are triple jabbed with a mix of AZ and Phizer vaccines the chances of us even becoming seriously ill, let alone dying, is infinitely small now. So it’s not any fear of contracting covid itself that’s putting us off cruising, it’s the onboard restrictions and the fact that we could be offloaded overseas.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As long as the ports visited dont move to the red list, I cant see that, if on a cruise, you test positive on your pre departure test you would not be allowed to go home to quarantine, at least until Sajid decides otherwise.

If the Euro ports end up on the red list overseas holidays have pretty much ended anyway

I assume cruises that visit any ports will have already been banned if things get that bad anyway

The ease of transmission of this variant certainly doesn't help cruise holidays at all

19 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It's already clear that we are all far more likely to catch the new variant than the old ones

I guess we need to know more about risks of this variant before we decide to cruise or not

The ease of transmission is definitely going to have a big impact on the cost of special cruise insurance though

With the current rules there's going to be an awful lot more passengers and their contacts getting disembarked and having to quarantine

You mentioned the situation in Oslo in a previous post, with the superspreader Christmas party. Bearing in mind the attendees were double jabbed and pre tested, the amount of infections are bonkers. If Omicron is really ‘that’ infectious, it’ll be likely that it will have an effect on cruising…. and our day to day life too 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I believe the two days before arrival has superseded the two days after. Therefore only the two days before is required. How this will be carried out who knows. 

This is incorrect. Would be helpful if you deleted this post to save others getting confused.

• Like 1