The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

I remember when Covid was first spoken about on social media in relation to stopping cruises. I made some comments then expressing concern about the immediate future of travel, especially cruising. I got ridiculed and similar nasty comments were made, within a couple of weeks our cruise was cancelled. Some silly comments now emerging on here. I am no expert, but common sense tells me this is serious and to dismiss it frivolously shows how stupid some are.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Already out come the Cruise Critic choir singing "always look on the black side of life". Some are very depressive characters.

Lots of if's, buts and maybe's today. Nobody knows. We have a number of holidays and cruises booked and won't be moving, or cancelling anything.

Stupid of Surrey.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I prefer not to get too concerned until there is far more data about how much more infectious it is, if at all, and whether the existing vaccines will provide adequate protection.

I do think the govt have done the correct thing in cancelling flights from southern Africa, as a precaution, but I refuse to be too pessimistic until the data does provide firm information as to whether or not the variant is a significant threat.

A sensible comment. Have I called for people to cancel/change cruises ? No.

I have a cruise in Feb 22 on Iona and hope it goes ahead. There is a lot of noise being made by many agencies and it is of concern, that's all. Just do me a favour and keep sarcasm out of this, it's too serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

A sensible comment. Have I called for people to cancel/change cruises ? No.

I have a cruise in Feb 22 on Iona and hope it goes ahead. There is a lot of noise being made by many agencies and it is of concern, that's all. Just do me a favour and keep sarcasm out of this, it's too serious.

But the doom and gloom merchants are already talking about cancelling cruises some 12 months away. I was not being frivolous with my earlier comment just, as terrierjohn stated in his post, we must wait and see about how infectious it is and reaction to vaccines but many are already looking on the black side of life and being very depressive without knowing the full facts. We all know how serious this is but even scientists do not have full knowledge of this new variant as yet and how serious it is. So IMO wait and see what happens and the outcome before talking of taking action with cruises booked so far in advance is a total overreaction and the pessimism.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Given the way that worldwide stock markets have reacted today, this does appear to be a major worry, especially as it seems as though it can evade the vaccines. Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water……..

There is not yet evidence of that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Ha!

Never ending, isn’t it?  Or so it seems

I think I’ll relocate Oct 22 cruise to Oct 23 tomorrow 

If everything turns out fine I’ll prob be able to rebook but clearing the decks seems like a good idea

Shares have taken a hammering today, so there’s obviously plenty of jitters around …

What? It was found about a day ago and little is yet known about it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Ha!

Never ending, isn’t it?  Or so it seems

I think I’ll relocate Oct 22 cruise to Oct 23 tomorrow 

If everything turns out fine I’ll prob be able to rebook but clearing the decks seems like a good idea

Shares have taken a hammering today, so there’s obviously plenty of jitters around …

Don't panic don't panic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

But the doom and gloom merchants are already talking about cancelling cruises some 12 months away. 

I'm no doom and gloom merchant Tom. I'm merely resigned to the fact that if, and I stress if this is going to be another complication regarding my October cruise then I will cancel. I don't think anyone said they would be cancelling immediately.

Avril

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Might cancel ours Jean if this carries on. It's not worth the hassle anymore.

Avril

Why? Practically nothing is yet known about the new variant. Why waste your opportunity? At least wait and see what is found out in the coming weeks.

• Like 4

So when does all the stupid questions start from people asking what is happening in the ports they are visiting.? As i said the last time everybody was trying to guess what would happen in each country search the countries visitor sites to find out what there rules are NOT just what people guess on here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

While having a new variant of covid is frightening, what I find alarming is a plane load of passenger who I would hope were tested before leaving Africa (would that be PCR or LFT) when they land in Schiphol Airport 61 test positive for covid (not Known if its the new strain yet). When joining a ship we do an LFT test. If it comes to light that the new strain is somehow harder to detect possibly testing at departure would need to improved somehow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

My post commenting about the speed of some countries being placed on the red list was deleted? Surely that comes under 'policy for other forms of travel?

It's very difficult to know what can and and can't be said.  As this topic will be with us for some time, I'm not sure it's feasible for us all to be on eggshells for the entire duration. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My post commenting about the speed of some countries being placed on the red list was deleted? Surely that comes under 'policy for other forms of travel?

It's very difficult to know what can and and can't be said.  As this topic will be with us for some time, I'm not sure it's feasible for us all to be on eggshells for the entire duration. 

Discussion still going on over on the Celebrity board.

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Some non covid related posts were removed yesterday on a different thread.

Be safe if you are cruising in the next week, or so from Tilbury. You know what is in Brentwood. 🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1