The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

14 hours ago, Bin man said:

Cathygh looking around the sight  noticed someone is reporting Qe 2 cruise is cancelled also on another site not sure if it is true hope you can find out before wasted travel although will be disappointing if true 

That was due to Storm Arwen preventing QE from berthing. As the next cruise was only 4 days I guess Cunard felt it better to cancel it.

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

That was due to Storm Arwen preventing QE from berthing. As the next cruise was only 4 days I guess Cunard felt it better to cancel it.

Plus Netherlands have gone into partial lockdown so passengers may not have been able to go ashore. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Ironically I was going to book with them for my 17 December cruise but with all my Iona travellers here today forgot.

I'm confused by the PCR arrangements for day 2 after looking through them.  You seem to need a drop box near you but a lot of the Randox ones have been closed due to the lack of need until now.  I assume you can't go driving off round the country after returning so how you test and send it back is a real obstacle course.

Going off at a tangent and off topic I know, but cruisers travelling to Barbados to join a cruise should be aware that self administered PCR tests are not acceptable to the Barbados authorities, as the following extract from the Visit Barbados website makes clear.

"ALL travellers must travel with a valid negative Standard COVID-19 PCR test result.

With specific reference to the type of PCR test required and accepted for entry into Barbados:

Specific Requirements:

1. The specimen taken must be a nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swab (or both) taken by a healthcare provider
  2. The sample must be taken within 3 days prior to arrival.
  3. The laboratory performing the test must be an accredited, certified or recognized facility

Please note that the following will NOT be accepted:

1. Nasal swab samples
  2. Saliva samples
  3. Self-administered tests (even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider)
  4. Home kits
  5. Rapid PCR tests"

34 minutes ago, silkworms said:

For those of us flying to Barbados for our Xmas cruises, I think

we would all agree that we are being kept well informed by P and O

as to what we need to do.

Terri

Errrm  .. I've had absolutely nothing from P&O. Admittedly only booked last Monday but all my info has come from friends and contacts on this site.

57 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Going off at a tangent and off topic I know, but cruisers travelling to Barbados to join a cruise should be aware that self administered PCR tests are not acceptable to the Barbados authorities, as the following extract from the Visit Barbados website makes clear.

"ALL travellers must travel with a valid negative Standard COVID-19 PCR test result.

With specific reference to the type of PCR test required and accepted for entry into Barbados:

Specific Requirements:

1. The specimen taken must be a nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swab (or both) taken by a healthcare provider
  2. The sample must be taken within 3 days prior to arrival.
  3. The laboratory performing the test must be an accredited, certified or recognized facility

Please note that the following will NOT be accepted:

1. Nasal swab samples
  2. Saliva samples
  3. Self-administered tests (even if the sample was taken under the supervision of a healthcare provider)
  4. Home kits
  5. Rapid PCR tests"

Thanks for info. I am booked with Boots for my PCR before flying. I assume that is okay as others on here who have used them seem to have had no problem.

I was looking at postal PCR for return as surely that's the best way as surely the government do not want me driving miles around the UK once I've arrived back in UK?

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Errrm  .. I've had absolutely nothing from P&O. Admittedly only booked last Monday but all my info has come from friends and contacts on this site.

We have received emails on a daily basis for quite a few days now.

Admittedly they are all repeated instructions which are already 

available within your booking (before you sail etc) but I think we

are probably sailing before you (10 December) so I am sure

you will be receiving them shortly.

Terri

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I just couldn't afford for that to happen.  Away for 19 night cruise and then tell the office I can't come in for 10 days 😞

19 days would be your annual leave. If you were positive it would be 10 days of sick leave.

14 minutes ago, silkworms said:

We have received emails on a daily basis for quite a few days now.

Admittedly they are all repeated instructions which are already 

available within your booking (before you sail etc) but I think we

are probably sailing before you (10 December) so I am sure

you will be receiving them shortly.

Terri

It's such an uncertain time to travel sadly

New rules will almost certainly come in  before you travel or whilst you are on holiday

Not just in UK but in all the countries you are due to visit

Am I a bad guy to say your holiday could get very messy?

Glitterati, Silkworms - Interestedcruisefan is, as he says, entitled to his opinion. The thing is we don’t have to acknowledge his opinions. I am still looking forward to our Caribbean cruise next weekend. I know things are likely to be different due to the currently changing situation but I will be quite happy sitting on deck in the sunshine, being fed and watered, taking advantage of onboard activities and chatting with like-minded cruisers. I am not being flippant when I say this, we are all entitled to our opinions but we don’t need to try to inflict them on others. Smacks of bullying to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Glitterati, Silkworms - Interestedcruisefan is, as he says, entitled to his opinion. The thing is we don’t have to acknowledge his opinions. I am still looking forward to our Caribbean cruise next weekend. I know things are likely to be different due to the currently changing situation but I will be quite happy sitting on deck in the sunshine, being fed and watered, taking advantage of onboard activities and chatting with like-minded cruisers. I am not being flippant when I say this, we are all entitled to our opinions but we don’t need to try to inflict them on others. Smacks of bullying to me.

Yes guys I agree

Please stop bullying me. It's not nice

Ps I want all of you to have a great holiday if poss.  I could also happily enjoy a Caribbean cruise in the sun without ever leaving the ship. Like you. 

There is however a possibility Barbados will not even allow UK citizens to enter the country next weekend the way things are going with travel bans 

But I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 minute ago, Jennizor said:

Have a great cruise and raise your glass to all us poor folk you left at home. Our next trip abroad is  late March....but.....Maybe......New year rum punch on a beach......?🤣

56 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Agree with everything you say.  We’ve already booked Epicurian online

for several evenings and really looking forward to the five excursions

already booked. Bring on the sun.

Terri

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

You're not bad, just boring with the same dire warnings, methinks you might be auditioning for private Fraser in a Dad's army remake.

Lol

Says the poster who told me on here three months ago:

That Covid concerns for cruising were over

Winter Caribbean cruises would run entirely as normal with nothing to worry about

And I was over thinking that it might be risky to book a New Year Caribbean cruise

I'm so glad I didn't actually listen to you John 

I'd rather be boring and right than exciting but wrong

You had your head in the sand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Lol

Says the poster who told me on here three months ago:

That Covid concerns for cruising were over

Winter Caribbean cruises would run entirely as normal with nothing to worry about

And I was over thinking that it might be risky to book a New Year Caribbean cruise

I'm so glad I didn't actually listen to you John 

I'd rather be boring and right than exciting but wrong

You had your head in the sand

Sorry I hadn't realised that P&O had announced they had cancelled all their Caribbean sailings!😉😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Did you used to post under another username? Your desire to spread doom really reminds me of someone else that used to be on here. 

No

And I take issue about being accused of spreading doom

I think I talk about reality of the situation cruises are facing again

Many on here seem to want to turn a blind eye to it

Which I do understand. 

But there's a reason cruise share prices have been decimated the last few days

People know what's coming our way

There also a pattern with how the Covid restrictions come in across the world

Too many countries across the world imposing travel restrictions at the same time for this to be a minor blip

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

No I'm not saying we are at square one at all

So please don't misquote me

Square one is full lockdown in our homes, schools closed, all but essential shops closed, workplaces closed etc

We are a long way from that in the UK thankfully 

Other countries around the world were actually heading into those types of lockdowns again WITHOUT the new variant

The problem with overseas cruise holidays is that how we the UK and other countries actually avoid going back to square one is to restrict overseas travel in and out and before restricting it insisting on quarantine for arrivals in

Effectively ending tourism whilst they try and avoid bigger lockdowns

The fact is we don't have to be anywhere near square one for overseas cruises to be stopped 

Nor does the Caribbean or the rest of europe

Travel restrictions come in way before square one and are already happening

Its already in Australia! A country that is still refusing entry to pretty much everyone. The one thing we should really have learnt since delta came on the scene is that you can't stop this thing spreading by closing a few borders. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Does anyone else recall that in the summer, when Covid restrictions were lifted, many posters prophesied doom and gloom, but in actual fact it was the best possible decision?

I can name names,  but that would be unfair.  

And now after 48 hours of new information,  certain individuals are yet again forecasting Armageddon,  with no facts or supporting evidence, but quite happy to descend to personal insults. 

We booked another cruise today for September. The 2022 calendar is filling up quite nicely. I think we will get Christmas out of the way before we start filling up the gaps. I have never been to Armageddon. Is that in USA ?. We can give that one a try, but it may have to wait til 2023.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2