The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

14 minutes ago, Bon0 said:

What is P&O’s policy around material changes to the cruise e.g. if the Caribbean cruises become staycations which are limited to the ship will they offer the opportunity to cancel?  I know some enjoy pottering around the ship enjoying the food, ambience and entertainment.  While we are also looking forward to these elements in the evenings and on sea days, I think we’d go stir crazy and be quite resentful if that was the entirety of our holiday. 

We could speculate but that would add more confusion, we cancelled our Jan cruise as it was 35 nights to the Caribbean, we usually do this type of cruise each winter and enjoy the warm lazy sea days and sometimes stay on the ship when visiting some islands that we have often visited several times, however 35 nights at sea if it came to that would be too much. 

• Like 4

On 11/28/2021 at 11:17 PM, wowzz said:

So, for those of us interested in cruising,  Switzerland is not exactly an issue,  nor is Austria,  and Israel is not relevant to this forum, and neither is Scotland in the winter months.

So, lets have some facts that relate to P&O cruises. 

Most countries have already started reverting back to PCR tests for entry (worse still banning entry full stop) rather than the cheaper and faster lateral flow tests. Plus adding on quarantine rules and self isolation rules etc etc

All of which make travelling overseas way more awkward, stressful and expensive

The fact cruises visit multiple countries normally just adds to the potential stress and expense

If start countries for cruises impose rules that are more demanding or go into lockdown then thats the end of the cruise full stop

I can't imagine it's physically possible to do any shore excursions with PCR test conditions in place instead of LFT and even if it was the cost would be prohibitive?

Meanwhile according to hospitality spokespeople in the UK companies have stopped booking Xmas parties and indeed started cancelling parties already booked due to uncertainty of whats going to happen

And these Xmas parties don't even have a fraction of the potential problems that overseas cruises bring us

You can't pretend there's nothing to be concerned about here

It's a mess made worse by the fact we all know new rules in all parts of the world get implemented with 24 hrs notice most of the time 

You can't plan any holidays right now with any confidence whatsoever you won't get dragged into Covid issues, problems, stress and cost

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Most countries have already started reverting back to PCR tests for entry (worse still banning entry full stop) rather than the cheaper and faster lateral flow tests. Plus adding on quarantine rules and self isolation rules etc etc

All of which make travelling overseas way more awkward, stressful and expensive

The fact cruises visit multiple countries normally just adds to the potential stress and expense

If start countries for cruises impose rules that are more demanding or go into lockdown then thats the end of the cruise full stop

I can't imagine it's physically possible to do any shore excursions with PCR test conditions in place instead of LFT and even if it was the cost would be prohibitive?

Meanwhile according to hospitality spokespeople in the UK companies have stopped booking Xmas parties and indeed started cancelling parties already booked due to uncertainty of whats going to happen

And these Xmas parties don't even have a fraction of the potential problems that overseas cruises bring us

You can't pretend there's nothing to be concerned about here

It's a mess made worse by the fact we all know new rules in all parts of the world get implemented with 24 hrs notice most of the time 

You can't plan any holidays right now with any confidence whatsoever you won't get dragged into Covid issues, problems, stress and cost

Why I'm bothering to reply I really don't know as you appear to just want to pick a fight with anyone who's trying to remain upbeat.  However since you asked I'm not going to allow myself to be dragged into depression (I am a chronic depressive retired on ill health grounds as a result) by people in newspapers, on television and in places on line who speculate about matters over which I have no control.  If and when there is an announcement that actually affects my plans I will consider that and take appropriate action.  In the meantime there is little I can do about world reactions, country closures or entry requirements.  My trip is booked and paid for, non refundable and currently going ahead. I have a legal binding contract, insurance and most importantly my sanity.  Why I ask, would I want to read and dissect your or any other comments designed to make me stressed and unwell? 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Why I'm bothering to reply I really don't know as you appear to just want to pick a fight with anyone who's trying to remain upbeat.  However since you asked I'm not going to allow myself to be dragged into depression (I am a chronic depressive retired on ill health grounds as a result) by people in newspapers, on television and in places on line who speculate about matters over which I have no control.  If and when there is an announcement that actually affects my plans I will consider that and take appropriate action.  In the meantime there is little I can do about world reactions, country closures or entry requirements.  My trip is booked and paid for, non refundable and currently going ahead. I have a legal binding contract, insurance and most importantly my sanity.  Why I ask, would I want to read and dissect your or any other comments designed to make me stressed and unwell? 

Hear Hear.

I really see no need to try and depress everyone on here at every opportunity.

We are all adults and can make up our minds, without incessant paranoid negative posts.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I’m with you on this one. All paid up, been counting down the days for months. I’m only going to listen to what P&O tell me, not scaremongers on the internet. It’s not good for our mental health. It’s pretty much bullying at this point. 

Use the Ignore feature to keep your blood pressure down, everyone

I’m ok reading & not responding but I am concerned that the thread will be locked, which would be a great pity whilst the issue is so topical 

Edit - immediately after seeing Sharon’s reminder

”Told You So” 🙄

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 6

With regard to cruising and the new testing/quarantine rules,  is there any reason why you could not take the PCR test in board with you, do the test either the night before you disembark, or on the morning itself, and post off the sample on the way home?

That way you would have the test result the next day, meaning that the quarantine period would be only 24 hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

I’m with you on this one. All paid up, been counting down the days for months. I’m only going to listen to what P&O tell me, not scaremongers on the internet. It’s not good for our mental health. It’s pretty much bullying at this point. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I am due to join Azura in Barbados in January. It will be my first holiday since January 2020 and the first of 5 cruises (two with P&O, two with Saga and one with Star Clippers, all rearrangements of cruises cancelled in 2020 and 2021) I have arranged for 2022. I an assuming that all are going ahead unless told otherwise by the cruise lines.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wowzz said:

With regard to cruising and the new testing/quarantine rules,  is there any reason why you could not take the PCR test in board with you, do the test either the night before you disembark, or on the morning itself, and post off the sample on the way home?

That way you would have the test result the next day, meaning that the quarantine period would be only 24 hours.

Problem is landing in Jan1st, the post wont be picked up till 4th.  We have booked drive thru at LGW for 8am on 1st with results by 10pm on 2nd

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Castle25 said:

Problem is landing in Jan1st, the post wont be picked up till 4th.  We have booked drive thru at LGW for 8am on 1st with results by 10pm on 2nd

Don't the designated PO boxes have a different schedule  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Castle25 said:

The designated priority post boxes (which the tests have to go into) have more collections, for instance there is a Sunday collection, so I do not see you waiting for a 4th Jan collection.  Alternatively you can go to a test centre where you can book day two tests.  By definition they must have opening hours beyond the normal working week. 

Seems you can book express tests as well - mentioned by Simon Calder on TV this morning, though he said they cost about £100.  Just need to explore your options.

Edited by tring

16 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We could speculate but that would add more confusion, we cancelled our Jan cruise as it was 35 nights to the Caribbean, we usually do this type of cruise each winter and enjoy the warm lazy sea days and sometimes stay on the ship when visiting some islands that we have often visited several times, however 35 nights at sea if it came to that would be too much. 

I for one would be absolutely furious if my 35 nighter was 35 nights at sea. I go stir crazy as it is with one day at sea then Cadiz then 6 days at sea before Bermuda and then the 6 days from Cape Canaveral to Ponta Delgarda in the Azores before another 3 days at sea then Southampton. I know people will say "Why the heck do you do it then" But I love the Ports of call and the wife can't fly. Not because I clipped her wings either, she wouldn't allow that. In all honesty I can't see any cruise line expecting passengers to stay aboard for more than 7 days. Fine for those that are content with that. Not for me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I for one would be absolutely furious if my 35 nighter was 35 nights at sea. I go stir crazy as it is with one day at sea then Cadiz then 6 days at sea before Bermuda and then the 6 days from Cape Canaveral to Ponta Delgarda in the Azores before another 3 days at sea then Southampton. I know people will say "Why the heck do you do it then" But I love the Ports of call and the wife can't fly. Not because I clipped her wings either, she wouldn't allow that. In all honesty I can't see any cruise line expecting passengers to stay aboard for more than 7 days. Fine for those that are content with that. Not for me I'm afraid.

From a practical point of view, could the ship sail for 35 days without a single port stop ?

I imagine that there would have to be some replenishment stops, but passengers would just have to look wistfully at the land from the prom deck ! 

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

From a practical point of view, could the ship sail for 35 days without a single port stop ?

I imagine that there would have to be some replenishment stops, but passengers would just have to look wistfully at the land from the prom deck ! 

I think that's pretty much what happened on last year's Worldie.  I'm sure someone who was on board will clarify what happened.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Don't the designated PO boxes have a different schedule  ?

If P&O can test everyone before they get on the ship, surely they can flog you a test kit on the ship. You could do it at the port, or car park and stick it in a box before you leave the port. Or is that too difficult?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I think that's pretty much what happened on last year's Worldie.  I'm sure someone who was on board will clarify what happened.

It is what happened, our friends were on Arcadia. Not much they could do under the circumstances. They did get well compensated too. 

33 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If P&O can test everyone before they get on the ship, surely they can flog you a test kit on the ship. You could do it at the port, or car park and stick it in a box before you leave the port. Or is that too difficult?.

No, because you need the test reference number for your PLF.  Wouldn't it just be easier to buy one in advance and take it on board with you ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, because you need the test reference number for your PLF.  Wouldn't it just be easier to buy one in advance and take it on board with you ?

Yes, probably would be. Just trying to think of a way to speed things up.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Yes, probably would be. Just trying to think of a way to speed things up.

Having a walk through test centre at Southampton woukd be ideal, but I cant see people waiting hours to be processed  once they get off the ship. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Castle25 said:

Hi, is this using Express Test? I've been looking at that one myself.   My flight scheduled arrival 6.30am (TUI 27) so was looking at 9.00 am or thereabouts but wonder about border control delays, baggage collection, collecting car and going to centre. I see you've gone for 8.00am so assume you think no delays?  Also on form I do not know if I have to put all cruise destinations or just Barbados  may I ask which you did please?

The latest advice from the WHO will not help travel and possibly particularly the cruise industry 😕

Here’s a link, with an extract from the final para below.  Nothing mandatory yet but I wonder if there will be (yet more) insurance implications?

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/who-advice-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-the-sars-cov-2-omicron-variant

Persons who are unwell or at risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes), should be advised to postpone travel.”