The Nu Covid variant

bobstheboy

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Hi, is this using Express Test? I've been looking at that one myself.   My flight scheduled arrival 6.30am (TUI 27) so was looking at 9.00 am or thereabouts but wonder about border control delays, baggage collection, collecting car and going to centre. I see you've gone for 8.00am so assume you think no delays?  Also on form I do not know if I have to put all cruise destinations or just Barbados  may I ask which you did please?

i just put in barbados - yes express test £69

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

The latest advice from the WHO will not help travel and possibly particularly the cruise industry 😕

Here’s a link, with an extract from the final para below.  Nothing mandatory yet but I wonder if there will be (yet more) insurance implications?

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/who-advice-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-the-sars-cov-2-omicron-variant

Persons who are unwell or at risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes), should be advised to postpone travel.”

Rather worrying. Travelling against the advice of WHO, will that influence how governments act ?  Who knows ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Rather worrying. Travelling against the advice of WHO, will that influence how governments act ?  Who knows ?

The words and recommendations are pretty much a rehash of the July 2021 report. This is stated in the footnote. Q&A's state fully vaccinated folk don't need to be frightened. After the July report was published many of us happily jumped on Cruise ships and aeroplanes.

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

The latest advice from the WHO will not help travel and possibly particularly the cruise industry 😕

Here’s a link, with an extract from the final para below.  Nothing mandatory yet but I wonder if there will be (yet more) insurance implications?

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/who-advice-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-the-sars-cov-2-omicron-variant

Persons who are unwell or at risk of developing severe COVID-19 disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes), should be advised to postpone travel.”

Without being unkind,  should people in those categories be travelling anyway, regardless of covid ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Without being unkind,  should people in those categories be travelling anyway, regardless of covid ?

Agree. I imagine anyone in those categories won’t be on a cruise (unwell, unvaccinated, or without proof of not being infected).  

• Like 1

Full extract of bullet for context:

• In addition, all travellers should be reminded to remain vigilant for signs and symptoms of COVID-19, to get vaccinated when it is their turn and to adhere to public health and social measures at all times and regardless of vaccination status, including by using masks appropriately, respecting physical distancing, following good respiratory etiquette and avoiding crowded and poorly ventilated spaces. Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.*
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bon0 said:

Agree. I imagine anyone in those categories won’t be on a cruise (unwell, unvaccinated, or without proof of not being infected).  

Correct. In fact they wouldn't be allowed on a cruise ship or a plane. Fully Jabbed etc are ok to travel. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

Most of the passengers are normally over 60

I think the quote may have been shortened slightly.  Unless I’ve missed a separate point on the website it only seems to be highlighting COVID can be more harmful to certain groups.  It doesn’t suggest people shouldn’t travel if over 60, only that those over 60 who are unwell, unvaccinated, or haven’t been tested could be at greater risk.  This is consistent with P&O’s policy anyway so shouldn’t cause any additional friction.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The over 60s make up most of this board. They are talking about us 

The full quote implies that the over 60s who have not been vaccinated should not travel.  But it is sloppy terminology. 

And, let's face it, the WHO have no credibility anyway, so who cares what they think ?

Edited by wowzz
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think WHO may be in the process of clarifying their advice.

it originally read as if it was a blanket advisory for all over 60s, but it may be just for unvaccinated over 60s 

we might need to await for this to be made more clear 

I’ve re-read it

I think it’s poorly drafted.  I still think that, as written, any/all over 60s are included in the advisory (otherwise why mention age?) but I am unsure as to whether that was the intention.

As with all aspects of this unwelcome new variant, we are in a “wait and see” situation, which is horrible for everyone 

• Like 1

Well, The Independent read the WHO advisory the same way I did.

The whole article is behind a paywall, of course, but the link will let you see the headline, saying Over 60s should postpone travel plans

https://www.independent.co.uk/world/travel-ban-who-omicron-b1967160.html

Edit

zapp - we posted at exactly the same time.  This post is def NOT me poking my tongue out at you 😗

Edited by Eddie99
Apology/ex0lanation

It’s still being widely reported from multiple outlets that this refers to all over 60s.

I’ve now seen the original wording for myself, and the way it was worded, it did indeed refer to all over 60s (regardless of health or vaccine status).

The new version has to be read a few times to make sense of it, but seems to be saying that the unvaccinated and those with certain health conditions shouldn’t travel, including people in that category who are over 60.  It doesn’t even need to mention the people’s age at all. 

However, the idea that all over 60s shouldn’t travel seems to have taken root on a global scale. WHO need to do a lot of work if they are going to get their intended message out there. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Well, The Independent read the WHO advisory the same way I did.

The whole article is behind a paywall, of course, but the link will let you see the headline, saying Over 60s should postpone travel plans

https://www.independent.co.uk/world/travel-ban-who-omicron-b1967160.html

Edit

zapp - we posted at exactly the same time.  This post is def NOT me poking my tongue out at you 😗

A lot of the papers headlines and interpretations were the same. No poking tongue out offence taken, or I'm sure, intended. The new years Eve party on Weymouth sea front can still go ahead. Just wear a mask.🤣

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It’s still being widely reported from multiple outlets that this refers to all over 60s.

I’ve now seen the original wording for myself, and the way it was worded, it did indeed refer to all over 60s (regardless of health or vaccine status).

The new version has to be read a few times to make sense of it, but seems to be saying that the unvaccinated and those with certain health conditions shouldn’t travel, including people in that category who are over 60.  It doesn’t even need to mention the people’s age at all. 

However, the idea that all over 60s shouldn’t travel seems to have taken root on a global scale. WHO need to do a lot of work if they are going to get their intended message out there. 

The papers love a headline that scares folk. That's their job. Nobody buy's a paper with the headline ' No news today, everything's fine, nothing to see here. ' reading the report, particularly the Q&A's for travelers show its a rehash of a 6 month old report that didn't say much anyway. All it did was give folk the collywobbles. That's their job. Carry on cruising.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I am reading that to suggest ANYONE over 60 should not travel, which seems rather extreme, or maybe just badly worded.

Late to the party as usual, I should have read further!!!

Edited by terrierjohn

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

The full quote implies that the over 60s who have not been vaccinated should not travel.  But it is sloppy terminology. 

And, let's face it, the WHO have no credibility anyway, so who cares what they think ?

Perhaps WHO should follow the old maxim ' Engage brain before operating mouth.'.

The UN agency subsequently corrected the advisory to confirm it applied to those who were vulnerable or not fully-vaccinated, bringing it in line with advice that has been in place since July.

Back to returning to UK I'm afraid.  I have now booked the Gatwick drive through for 9.20 am on the 1st January to allow time for delays, luggage collection, bus to car park, clearing 6 inches of snow and ice  (well the Mail and Express wouldn't lie to me would they?) and then travelling to the testing site.  I'm a bit worried there doesn't seem to be an leeway if you are delayed.  Does anyone have any recent experiences of getting through Gatwick in recent times as the stories of Heathrow have been pretty horrendous.

Also regarding PLF I have accounts set up and have gone as far as flight details. I assume after that the info is what I input onboard before leaving Barbados?  I understand the account will keep my details for 6 months so assume it's a new form every time, ie one for this cruise, one for my February Austria trip and one for my Aurora April trip. Is this right please?