Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

8 minutes ago, Comptech said:

I meant that it seems later than normal. My boarding doc said we are in group E @ 130 and not to show up any earlier.

We were originally 1 but now an hour earlier at 12. I’m just glad we’ll make it to MDR lunch now assuming they have one!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Comptech said:

So is that so they can disinfect the common areas?

When I reboarded on my B2B last Sunday, I did not observe a mass disinfection of public areas taking place.  There is a continuous cleaning of common areas during the day but a bigger effort during the night (I was told).

IMHO the earlier boarding times are a result of how quick boarding now occurs especially with the very reduced capacity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tupper10 said:

Very concerned about your post because we booked two aft rooms - not on this ship but one on the sister ship for a cruise to Hawaii in January 2023 and one on the Zuiderdam.  Did you hear the music the entire time on your aft veranda?   We are in the camp of people that hate the non stop music on cruise ships - we booked the retreat on our Caribbean cruise because we were told there was no music in this area. Thanks.

No we did not hear the music the entire time . It was very noisy at the sail away we could feel the aft doors shaking a bit . We were in the Caribbean at Spring break and there was a loud group on the ship . I only heard the wake up music a couple of mornings early .

Our experience in our aft cabin on the Zuiderdam was totally different . We were on it for for 3 different cruises and had no issues . In fact when we were in Reykjavik there was a very loud ship behind us that was going 24/7 . But in the cabin with door closed we could just barely hear it . I wished I would have recorded the difference when the door was closed for comparison . A video clip .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jagger16 said:

Thanks, Roger. Good advice on the app.

Can you describe where the comment section for crew is on the app? That’s such a great feature.

The feedback location is hidden.  At the bottom of the Navigator app "Connect" > "Let us know". 

I strongly support this new feature and encourage all to comment as soon as you experience something memorable or an issue needing correction.  Your feedback is a ship-wide blast.  Don't be shy in asking names since the crew name tags are not very large.  Within a few minutes, you will have a dedicated crew member eager to thank you and greet you for the rest of your cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As previously requested, I can report that the incoming Hotel General Manager, Renee, will be arriving early January for quarantine with takeover on Jan 12th.  The ship does not know the name of the new Captain who will be taking over on Jan 12th as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Comptech said:

I meant that it seems later than normal. My boarding doc said we are in group E @ 130 and not to show up any earlier.

It is late.  Hal is trying to space people out to keep everyone safe.  Problem is that a few people have already said they don’t care what hal says they are doing whatever they feel like.  That causes problems for those that do follow rules.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

MDR Christmas Eve Menu:  "From Mexico"  Caesar Salad:  Julius might have a quibble or two about that.  Adding "Mexican ingredients" does not make a true Caesar Salad.  I would judge that menu as weak in comparison to the same menus for the same evening on previous HAL cruises that I have sailed.  

Roasted Parsnip Broth on the PG's New Year's Eve menu:  can't imagine that to be an offering in an upscale restaurant.  

The Christmas Day MDR menu is quite appealing to me.  More than one Starter, Mains, and Desserts:  all are tempting.  The Jacques Torres White Chocolate Snowman sounds most intriguing.  

We didn't think the Snowman was worth the bother: overly sweet white chocolate shell which was so hard that it was very difficult to eat with a fork, mousse that was an insult the the name.  There are better choices!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

No we did not hear the music the entire time . It was very noisy at the sail away we could feel the aft doors shaking a bit . We were in the Caribbean at Spring break and there was a loud group on the ship . I only heard the wake up music a couple of mornings early .

Our experience in our aft cabin on the Zuiderdam was totally different . We were on it for for 3 different cruises and had no issues . In fact when we were in Reykjavik there was a very loud ship behind us that was going 24/7 . But in the cabin with door closed we could just barely hear it . I wished I would have recorded the difference when the door was closed for comparison . A video clip .

Thank you so much for your response.   We are booked on the Zuiderdam for the Iceland cruise in  Summer 2023 - how did you like the Iceland cruise and any suggestions for tour companies would be much appreciated.   We are on the Koningsdam for Hawaii.   Our Caribbean cruise is our first time on Holland America - we leave on December 18 on the Statendam but we just have a regular veranda cabin, all the aft cabins were booked. We wanted to try it before we had a long cruise with them.  Here is to happy sailing.  

• Like 1

️Thank you Roger ️ for all of the great information during your time on the NS. If you have any luck with the Butler Menu from HMC I would love to see it, but I know you've got packing to do, as sad as that is to say. Safe travels back home from your adventure, and have fun preparing for your next sailing very soon. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NengEuis said:

️Thank you Roger ️ for all of the great information during your time on the NS. If you have any luck with the Butler Menu from HMC I would love to see it, but I know you've got packing to do, as sad as that is to say. Safe travels back home from your adventure, and have fun preparing for your next sailing very soon. 

If the HMC Butler menu does not happen in the next few hours, I will be onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam in a few weeks to keep trying.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Thank you so much for your response.   We are booked on the Zuiderdam for the Iceland cruise in  Summer 2023 - how did you like the Iceland cruise and any suggestions for tour companies would be much appreciated.   We are on the Koningsdam for Hawaii.   Our Caribbean cruise is our first time on Holland America - we leave on December 18 on the Statendam but we just have a regular veranda cabin, all the aft cabins were booked. We wanted to try it before we had a long cruise with them.  Here is to happy sailing.  

You're welcome . We will be glad to share that information but don't want to hijack Roger's thread . Would you care to contact us @ scubacruiserx2@gmail.com . Cheers .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

You're welcome . We will be glad to share that information but don't want to hijack Roger's thread . Would you care to contact us @ scubacruiserx2@gmail.com . Cheers .

Roger is a wonderful source of information and I read his posts every day.  I didn't want to post here but I didn't know how to contact you since there was no way to message you.      I will contact you by email. Thank you. And Roger a huge thank you to you - we leave on December 19th on the same ship you are on now and all your posts have been such a big help as to what to expect.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

If the HMC Butler menu does not happen in the next few hours, I will be onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam in a few weeks to keep trying.

I'll be at HMC with a butler on Christmas Day - would be happy to send anything I find to you for your collection of great menus and photos. 🙂 Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

I can report that the incoming Hotel General Manager, Renee, will be arriving early January for quarantine with takeover on Jan 12th. 

Renee Tuinman?  If so, I have sailed with him on several cruises and he is an excellent, guest-oriented Hotel Director.  The crew likes him; he is "out and about" during the cruise; he is very approachable for a conversation.  He went out of his way when he saw me just before disembarking from Nieuw Amsterdam to wish me "Happy Landing".  

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

We didn't think the Snowman was worth the bother: overly sweet white chocolate shell which was so hard that it was very difficult to eat with a fork, mousse that was an insult the the name.  There are better choices!

Thanks for your critique.  Just another example that I have found that some of the specialties of the Celebrity Chefs don't "quite connect with us common folk".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NengEuis said:

I'll be at HMC with a butler on Christmas Day - would be happy to send anything I find to you for your collection of great menus and photos. 🙂 Cheers

That would be great.  Thanks.  The Villa menu I have is from 2016 and thought perhaps more spa additions were now included.

• Like 2

The last day of the cruise was filled with sunshine and bright blue skies.  Packing day for the majority of the passengers went smoothly but I have lots of practice.  It was also a day to seek and thank again my favorite crew members.  Fortunately, many of them can be found at the Lido Market Buffet working morning breakfast.  Lots of hands on hearts were exchanged.  A few I may see again but many I will not.  I will not forget them and their friendly greetings at dinner and breakfast everyday.

Dinner at Sel de Mer was memorable with Rudi Sodamin visiting my table to ask how I liked his Nockerell dessert.  Service was efficient and the seafood excellent.  

It is time to push luggage into the hallway retire for the evening.
I have not forgotten the Half Moon Cay Butler menu and the 10/11-day menus.  My search will begin anew in a few weeks.

More later.

Photos of almond cookies and a big chocolate chip cookie when I have time to process the RAW photos and post them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2