Ncl branded wine is now the most expensive wine at $17/glass

fstuff1

7 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

But the bottle is $27?!

I guess they want you to buy the bottle.

(Sorry, don't know how to make image up  right on phone)

IMG_20211126_100916.jpg

That's craziness.  The wines by the bottle that are more (e.g., $30's) cost $9 or $10 per glass.

Very strange pricing, and I wonder why.

??

GC

What is the best chardonnay and either/or cabernet, merlot, or other blended red wine you can get by the glass with the basic drink package?  We used to like the north south blend and last time we tried the east west a couple of years ago that replaced it, it seemed  okay.   Is $17 the max now per drink on the basic drink package?

1 hour ago, Travelicious said:

No, $15 is the max.  By pricing it at $17, they get another $2 plus 20% gratuity out of you.

Not from me they don't.   First they take away my chocolate martinis now my favorite wine by the glass.  Eventually I guess they will take away Michelob Ultra and make you drink some sort of substitute skunky beer if you don't want to be up charged.   I am among NCL's biggest proponents but between me and my wife they are already getting $300 in tips for a week's worth of adult beverages and they are not getting another dime from us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

But the bottle is $27?!I guess they want you to buy the bottle.

And you can no longer get a bottle with your platinum dinner. It's not bad. We've ordered it several times as our platinum free wine. But we noticed when we sailed in August that it was no longer on the free menu. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kpjb said:

It's been creeping up for a while... also it used to be called North/South.  When did it become East/West?  I didn't think it was bad when we got it for free.  I wouldn't buy it for an upcharge.

When we were on the Joy a couple of years ago  they had East/West instead of N/S as their house wine.  I thought it was just as good.  At the time it was priced above max std drink package price but was able to get it without upcharge throughout that particular cruise.  Wife and I both like the E/W blend but will not pay if an upcharge is required.  Has to be something comparable available.

• Like 1

I wonder what happened. As noted above, the NCL brand was North South.  Not bad. We had them a few times and was in the drink package. Now the NCL brand is East West. I am betting the wine is exactly the same.  Very easy to print a new label.  We were on the Breakaway in September and would not order them because of the price. 

It’s all about profit. Maybe their costs went up because not enough volume?  Maybe people liked them so they felt they could charge more?  Who knows. 

We thought they were “fine” but not enough for an up charge.  

Let’s see what is left to order from the drink package on our next cruise in March…

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, seemoreroyals said:

Not from me they don't.   First they take away my chocolate martinis now my favorite wine by the glass.  Eventually I guess they will take away Michelob Ultra and make you drink some sort of substitute skunky beer if you don't want to be up charged.   I am among NCL's biggest proponents but between me and my wife they are already getting $300 in tips for a week's worth of adult beverages and they are not getting another dime from us.

We just got off Breakaway today and there were plenty of chocolate martinis to be had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 10:52 AM, BirdTravels said:

And you can no longer get a bottle with your platinum dinner. It's not bad. We've ordered it several times as our platinum free wine. But we noticed when we sailed in August that it was no longer on the free menu. 

Just got off Breakaway today and had a complimentary bottle of wine with our Platinum dinner at Cagney’s last night. 

On 11/27/2021 at 11:13 AM, phillygwm said:

Wow, both the red and white.  Maybe they serve it in a beer stein? 🙂

Any thoughts on the icewine?  I don't pretend to be super-knowledgeable about wine and that's one I haven't tried.

Icewine is made by pressing the grapes after the first frost. This intensifies the sugar content resulting in a very sweet wine. Pairs well with desert.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beau11 said:

Icewine is made by pressing the grapes after the first frost. This intensifies the sugar content resulting in a very sweet wine. Pairs well with desert.

I have never seen a true icewine listed, usually only something like moscato which is made from moscato grapes aand musch less sweet than true icewine.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:48 PM, rtkenmore said:

Just got off Breakaway today and had a complimentary bottle of wine with our Platinum dinner at Cagney’s last night. 

BirdTravels was specifically referring to the NCL East and West (USED to be be North and South) and used to be available by the bottle with Platinum dinners in the past.  They stopped listing it on the Platinum list about two years ago.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The list of wines by the glass has been significantly reduced since my last NCL sailing.  The whites are virtually non-existent at this point with just the one Sav Blanc and one Chardonnay.  Very disappointed to say the least!

We recently purchased the NCL white for $5 per bottle at the grocery outlet  in CA.  Pretty bad when your house wine makes the premium list.