Ncl branded wine is now the most expensive wine at $17/glass

fstuff1

5 hours ago, beau11 said:

I have never seen a true icewine listed, usually only something like moscato which is made from moscato grapes aand musch less sweet than true icewine.

I've seen Inniskillin Vidal listed on NCL menus, which is a Canadian ice wine from the Niagara region.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jy0ung1 said:

We recently purchased the NCL white for $5 per bottle at the grocery outlet  in CA.  Pretty bad when your house wine makes the premium list.

I would have to buy that too. just to see. And I would be suprised IF it were good. It is a funny thing, this preimum vs not premium question. My wife is a wine lover so all the wines under 15 $ are so so . just over 15 $ are just OK by the glass and the really good wines are not offered by the glass and 40% off is local market prices ( I could by that at home) . The "free bottles at dinner" are not that exciting either. So, a better wine with dinner by the glass but having to wait and wait for a second glass, or a less complex wine with dinner and avoid having to order a second glass. i think it is funny that 'fstuff1" picked up on the 17 a glass 27 for the bottle. Do you think there was a guy or girl sitting at the marketing table going " that's rediculous , I can't send that to the printer" ..... a printer going " in noticed this 17 a glass , is that suppose to be 7?"  OR somone  saying " we are going to make up for this lost revenue one glass of wine at a time" yeah probaly the last . 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:08 AM, beau11 said:

I have never seen a true icewine listed, usually only something like moscato which is made from moscato grapes aand musch less sweet than true icewine.

I agree with that, and I'd add that it's even sweeter than moscato.  It tends to coat your tongue like honey.  We occasionally serve it here in tiny little glasses as a dessert wine.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:55 AM, jy0ung1 said:

We recently purchased the NCL white for $5 per bottle at the grocery outlet  in CA.  Pretty bad when your house wine makes the premium list.

Be still my heart!  We're down to three bottles of the East & West Sauvignon Blanc and 6 bottles of the East & West Red Blend that we bought at an Oregon Grocery Outlet early this year.  Bought a couple cases of each after trying a bottle to be sure we still liked the wine.   If it showed up in California maybe Oregon will get another shipment.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:42 AM, seemoreroyals said:

What is the best chardonnay and either/or cabernet, merlot, or other blended red wine you can get by the glass with the basic drink package?  We used to like the north south blend and last time we tried the east west a couple of years ago that replaced it, it seemed  okay.   Is $17 the max now per drink on the basic drink package?

Still wondering if anyone has recommendations for chardonnay, cab, merlot, or other blended wine, that falls under the $15 per glass limit?

On 11/30/2021 at 1:02 PM, phillygwm said:

Yes, that's the one I was referring to, on the Premium Plus list.

I tried it back pre-covid and it was worth the extra few bucks, it was good. I also had I think the same one in an ice wine flight in Le Cellier in Epcot in Disney, and it was good there, too. I was intending to get it again in October on the Breakaway but I had way too many free coconut mojitos instead. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Still wondering if anyone has recommendations for chardonnay, cab, merlot, or other blended wine, that falls under the $15 per glass limit?

Spellbound is probably the best Chardonnay (some Oak and Malolactic Fermentation)

For Cab I would probably pay the extra $1 for Badger Mountain but it is an absolute joke that they are selling it for $16/glass. 

From the drink list here I don't see a lot of Merlot. The entire list (especially reds) that is available under the regular package is incredibly disappointing but I guess that is offset by the fact that what you can get with the Premium Plus package is also incredible disappointing (which is why we just eat the $15/bottle and bring our own bottles to have with dinner).

My suggestion, do a blind taste every single red they have for $15 or less and see if you find something you like. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fastpitchdad said:

From the drink list here I don't see a lot of Merlot. The entire list (especially reds) that is available under the regular package is incredibly disappointing but I guess that is offset by the fact that what you can get with the Premium Plus package is also incredible disappointing (which is why we just eat the $15/bottle and bring our own bottles to have with dinner).

My suggestion, do a blind taste every single red they have for $15 or less and see if you find something you like. 

from the standard wine menu, only the Melbec and Tempranilo has a cork.
all other reds are screw off bottle cap

edit:

white wine, there's a Baron's sauvignon blanc that's $17/glass and $27/bottle?!

Edited by fstuff1

on the normal wine list for whites, it says it's listed from sweetest to least sweet but the 1st choice is an EXTRA DRY wine?!

Extra dry should at the bottom, below chardonnay, right??

Edited by fstuff1

On 11/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, rtkenmore said:

We just got off Breakaway today and there were plenty of chocolate martinis to be had. 

There is an upcharge for choc martinis, was on the Getaway in September/October 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WindyCs said:

If you bring wine on board, how simple is it for them to retrieve? Can you request it if you're at the lobby bar in the evening? Or can you only have it brought to restaurants? Do they need advance notice?

You can keep it in your room if you like. We have them store ours in a wine fridge (Cellars wine bar if they have it or one the central bars near the restaurants) and either have them deliver it to the restaurant or pick it up ourselves on the way. 

1 hour ago, kenzie said:

There is an upcharge for choc martinis, was on the Getaway in September/October 

That was the case 2 years ago on the Joy.  We sail next week on Breakaway, our first cruise in 2 years.  I will be surprised if chocolate martinis are available on the basic adult beverage package without up charge but I am going to ask.

18 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

You can keep it in your room if you like. We have them store ours in a wine fridge (Cellars wine bar if they have it or one the central bars near the restaurants) and either have them deliver it to the restaurant or pick it up ourselves on the way. 

Thanks!!

I agree NCL wine list leaves alot to be desired. Absolutely ridiculous the NCL branded wines are $17/gls. Their house wine should be within the $15 basic beverage package cost limit. I actually do like the North South or East West red blend. Not sure I am willing to pay the upcharge though. NCL needs to get this wine thing figured out!  Cheers everyone.  🥂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

I agree NCL wine list leaves alot to be desired. Absolutely ridiculous the NCL branded wines are $17/gls. Their house wine should be within the $15 basic beverage package cost limit. I actually do like the North South or East West red blend. Not sure I am willing to pay the upcharge though. NCL needs to get this wine thing figured out!  Cheers everyone.  🥂

I too like the East West blend.  I am almost certain when we last cruised 2 years ago it was priced at $17 a glass but we were not up charged.  Will no for sure when we cruise again next week. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

Spellbound is probably the best Chardonnay (some Oak and Malolactic Fermentation)

For Cab I would probably pay the extra $1 for Badger Mountain but it is an absolute joke that they are selling it for $16/glass. 

Thank you the link and the informative post.  My wife is familiar with and likes Spellbound Chardonnay.  We both like a smooth blended red and will be on the lookout if we are unable to get the East West without being upcharged.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, kpjb said:

It's been creeping up for a while... also it used to be called North/South.  When did it become East/West?  I didn't think it was bad when we got it for free.  I wouldn't buy it for an upcharge.

I know covid has turned the world upside down, but how did North and South turn into Eastand West?  I really like the Sauv Blanc.  Is this new wine still made by the Mondale winery?

They changed the price on those wines in January 2020.  We were on the Joy sailing the week it changed, and were able to get them to honor the price for a day or two, since not all the menus had been changed out (ie, price still said $10-12 dollars or so, and included in the package).  I prefer red blends, so am not thrilled that there isn’t one (that I know of) that is currently included in the package.  Needless to say, I won’t be paying extra for it.  Guess I’ll stick with bourbon and tequila 😂

7 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

They changed the price on those wines in January 2020.  We were on the Joy sailing the week it changed, and were able to get them to honor the price for a day or two, since not all the menus had been changed out (ie, price still said $10-12 dollars or so, and included in the package).  I prefer red blends, so am not thrilled that there isn’t one (that I know of) that is currently included in the package.  Needless to say, I won’t be paying extra for it.  Guess I’ll stick with bourbon and tequila 😂

We were on the Joy Dec 2019.  East West was already on the menus for $17 a  glass but we were able to drink the East West blend throughout without up charge.  Apparently those days are long gone.  When we board Breakaway next week I am going to ask what they have in a blended red wine without up charge.  If none available looks like I will be drinking a lot of Michelob Ultra.