LaReserve details

kjbacon

Just booked two LaReserve dinners for March and are so looking forward to them. This will be our first time on Oceania and are anxious to find out if the food is as good as we’ve heard. We absolutely love wine and food pairings! I did some searching but couldn’t find the start time of LaReserve. Would you vets please chime in with the time and any other details that will make the anticipation all the more exciting?

General start time is 7:00. You will have a drink on the covered deck outside of the dining room before going in for the main courses. They serve a couple of canapes with the first wine. They block off the area just outside of the dining room so other cannot walk through during this time. We have found that if we show up a bit early it is fine. Also as a rule (before Covid) when you sat at one of the 3 tables on the deck area that was the group you had when you moved into the dining room with it's 3 tables. Enjoy. Julia

• Like 1

Just to clarify La Reserve  is on the pool deck  so do not go to the GDR area looking for  it  😉

As mentioned they do block off the area beside the dining area so only those  that have signed up for the dinner are allowed in

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/la-reserve-311092/la-reserve--v189814

Not casual, probably the one place on the ship  you would see men in jackets. You can still dress country club casual but it is an event to many people so they dress a little better. The pool is outside and in front of this area and you cannot see the pool at all from inside of the restaurant. You are just next to the doors on the port side that lead to the elevators inside and the entrance to the Terrace. it is covered and is easily roped off for the start of the dinner. Enjoy. Julia

• Like 2

Just now, kjbacon said:

These dinners sound wonderful! Since it’s off the pool deck, should I figure it’s more casual attire?I would have guessed it was a little dressier.

We are currently on the Marina and have enjoyed 1 Reserve dinner and have another scheduled for tomorrow night - only time I have seen all of the men wearing jackets....it was lovely!

I always wear a sport jacket to La Reserve as do typically most all the other gentlemen.

May I add that this is the only venue aboard ship that is programmed. It starts at 7:00 and each of the courses and pairings are served to everyone at the same time. What that means is if one is fashionably late, they missed whatever has been served up to that time. If you miss the 1st and/or 2nd course, then you missed it. They don’t start you from the beginning, but from were you walk in.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kjbacon said:

These dinners sound wonderful! Since it’s off the pool deck, should I figure it’s more casual attire?I would have guessed it was a little dressier.

It is dressy..I never dress up except for La Reserve!!

Jancruz1

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

We have 2 dinners in La Reserve reserved  for our February cruise. Can you book the same dinner twice? And if so, which would you choose? We love wine dinners.

The Dom Perignon dinner is absolutely fabulous. The meal and pairings were created by the head chef at Dom. Exceptional affair, but pricey. All time favorite. 

My next favorite meal unfortunately has been deleted. I’m not a big fan of the Bourgeois dinner, and having had it twice, I won’t repeat. The pairings don’t clink and the entrees aren’t the best. Just my opinion. Therefore, that only leaves the one other for me to recommend . If you haven’t had all three then try each one and decide for yourself for your next O cruise.

I’ll add a caveat that hopefully addresses my comments about the Bourgeois dinner. When the dinner was first conceived in 2016 or 2017, they chose wines available at that time to pair with the food. A bunch of things change wines such as vintages, winemakers, or winemaker styles. In 2018 and 2019, Oceania could no longer serve those original chosen wines and vintages thereof. They were gone. Oceania would stay with the same producer, but to often that new vintage was distinctly different from the original and turned out to be a poor pairing. Someone in Miami was asleep at the wheel and allowed the program to drift.

Respecting Jancruz, she says Oceania has remedied this issue with a new selection of wine pairings. Hopefully, however their posted menus are yet to show any changes. Time will tell.

Edited by pinotlover

We made reservations for 3 La Reserve dinners for our first sailing on Riviera, for a holiday sailing several years ago.

First, yes, that was the "dressiest" of all times on board.

However, we were disappointed, and we cancelled our other two La Reserve reservations.  We had really been looking forward to them, as we've gone to some very nice wine dinners locally, as part of a wine festival each year.

The food was a just a bit disappointing.  This particular criticism isn't restricted to La Reserve; we've noticed it at other upscale restaurants on land.  There seems to be a race to the moon (for lack of better terminology), in terms of "unique combinations".  To us, they sometimes seem forced and don't necessarily work together other than being "unusual" and thus "special".  But this is a very personal preference, obviously.  Others at the table raved about all of the food.

The wines were more disappointing.

We had been given a "free wine tasting" from our travel agent, earlier in the cruise.  We were looking forward to that, too.  Alas, it had such mediocre selections (and I'm being generous...).  We received our choice of a bottle or two from that tasting.  We reluctantly took two, and gave them away later.

Anyway, at least one of the reds, with a relatively substantial course (so it wasn't a quickie, etc.), was one of those lower quality wines from the tasting! 😲

I guess the problem was our expectations...?  I haven't heard or read anything but glowing reviews from others, so "it must be us".  😱

We didn't sign up on a subsequent cruise, no surprise.
We had more fun and enjoyment bringing a few nice bottles on board, and paying the corkage fee for some special dinners.

This was one of very, very few disappointments (perhaps the only one?) on Oceania.  We LOVED the Riviera, and felt the same when we returned, and can't wait to resume cruising with O.

GC

We really enjoyed the food and wine.But unfortunately when sat down outside we quickly realised we were sitting with a couple who were not our ‘cup of tea’.we were at the end of the dining table and had no choice but to listen to them with very uninteresting tales.No ones fault but we may book again if we get off the waitlist for our next cruise.