Additional Expenses?

kk20

We’re looking at booking a one week Danube cruise for April 2023 and I’m going back and forth between booking with an all inclusive line such as scenic or crystal or going with a less expensive, but not all inclusive line such as Emerald or Avalon.

We’d probably be adding one or two extra expense tours and a few alcoholic drinks per person outside of the ones included with meals per day if we book with Emerald or Avalon.

For those of you who have done week-long river cruises would you mind sharing your final onboard bill? Or offer advice on which way you’d book and why?

Crystal - $0. When I booked with my TA - I got $200 US OBC. I used some of it for laundry to be sent out (clothes I wore before I got on the ship). Though - they have free do it yourself laundry. The rest I used for additional tips to tip those above and beyond as tips are already included. Though I don't know if this is still allowed.

• Like 2

We sailed with Avalon.  They allow you to pre-pay your tips (their recommended amounts), and they look after the drivers & guides, so all the tips we had to pay were for the crew members who we felt went above and beyond with their service (our server, cabin attendant, wine steward (he never let our glasses go empty until we told him to), and cruise director).  We personally gave them their tips with a major thanks.  We only purchased 2 beers (you can bring your own alcohol onboard) so our bar tab was about 4 euros, otherwise, we would ask for a beer or wine after dinner if we were going to the lounge.  We also pre-paid for our excursions, as we could pay in Canadian $$, and not Euros, like you do onboard.

Thanks to Avalon allowing you to pre-pay for all but drinks, we ended up with only the 4 Euro bill.  They have a "happy hour' before dinner during the daily briefing as well, so if you wish for a drink before dinner, it was 1/2 price.

We were very happy with Avalon, we chose them as they "fit" us.  We aren't fussy people, and appreciated the family atmosphere (well, it really was considering our cabin attendant shared the floor with his twin brother, and our server & wine steward were brother & sister), and how relaxed they were with the relationship between crew (from Captain down) and guests. We are just waiting to sail with them again.

• Like 3

With Scenic you can literally forget about your wallet from the moment they pick you up at the arrival airport to the moment they drop you off at the departure airport. Tips are included. You only need money if you want to buy souvenirs and such, and occasionally you may need a bit of change for a toilet in town (it's a good idea to keep some coins handy for that). 

At your discretion: There may be a small surcharge added for some premium spirits, though I didn't need it; their normal bar Single Malts were things like Laphroig Quarter Cask that I would buy for myself as a treat anyway, and on board it was free. They often have some nice jewelry and clothing for sale in the shop on board; on our first cruise the DW splurged on a lovely necklace & earrings. You pay for any on-board purchases on the last day when you settle your account; on our most recent cruise that bill was truly 0$. 

• Like 2

OnTauck, same as Scenic you can forget your wallet except if you need laundry done.  Stay in a suite and you receive OBC that you can use to cover laundry.  Ashore if you need change for a restroom your guide will provide it, likewise if they give you free time for lunch on your own they give you lunch money!  ALL tips are included.  So no worries about extra charges at all.

• Like 3

@kk20 Because I'm a bit OCD I like to make up a spreadsheet to compare options and prices. I start with the cost of the cabin category for each cruise line and then add prices of various upgrades I want. It could be drinks, upgraded excursions, tips & gratuities, laundry etc.. Then by comparing the bottom-line prices for the various companies I find it easier to make a decision. 

Our first river cruise was with Scenic and I'm afraid they set the bar rather high. Since then we've enjoyed several Uniworld trips and lately two AMA cruises. Whie the AMA experience was very nice it just couldn't match the level of quality and service offered by the others. On the other hand, the price was lower too. Good luck with your decisions.

Paul

• Like 2

It's all based on your requirements.  For us, for example, we drink very little, so paying extra for a cruise that has unlimited drinks is not value for us.  We thought that the food in the dining room (Viking) was fine, and would not take advantage of specialty dining even if it was offered.  So having a secondary upper scale dining venue is another thing we wouldn't pay extra for.  We found Viking to be the right fit for us---others will find their best fit with other cruise lines.  For us, even with tips, Viking was cheaper for us than other lines.  YMMV.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wings55 said:

@kk20 Because I'm a bit OCD I like to make up a spreadsheet to compare options and prices. I start with the cost of the cabin category for each cruise line and then add prices of various upgrades I want. It could be drinks, upgraded excursions, tips & gratuities, laundry etc.. Then by comparing the bottom-line prices for the various companies I find it easier to make a decision. 

Our first river cruise was with Scenic and I'm afraid they set the bar rather high. Since then we've enjoyed several Uniworld trips and lately two AMA cruises. Whie the AMA experience was very nice it just couldn't match the level of quality and service offered by the others. On the other hand, the price was lower too. Good luck with your decisions.

Paul

I’m totally with you on the slight ocd thing! I started with a chart on paper, but now have moved to a formal spreadsheet with our top contenders (crystal & scenic vs emerald & avalon) 🤓

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

It's all based on your requirements.  For us, for example, we drink very little, so paying extra for a cruise that has unlimited drinks is not value for us.  We thought that the food in the dining room (Viking) was fine, and would not take advantage of specialty dining even if it was offered.  So having a secondary upper scale dining venue is another thing we wouldn't pay extra for.  We found Viking to be the right fit for us---others will find their best fit with other cruise lines.  For us, even with tips, Viking was cheaper for us than other lines.  YMMV.

I don't drink alcohol so unlimited drinks is not a value for me either. Though I did benefit from non-alcohol drinks and liking to not have to sign for any drink at any time. 

At the time - Crystal was not that more than the other lines and considering tipping was included, and more excursions were included - it was an easy decision. 

Tipping on my Ama cruise was significantly more than what I paid for ocean cruises. So it is important to check out how much the tips are when factoring into the cost.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, kk20 said:

I’m totally with you on the slight ocd thing! I started with a chart on paper, but now have moved to a formal spreadsheet with our top contenders (crystal & scenic vs emerald & avalon) 🤓

That's an interesting list you have there. I have my thoughts so I'm curious to hear what you decide. Good luck with the decision-making process and be sure to let us know what you decide. 👍

Paul

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Coral said:

I don't drink alcohol so unlimited drinks is not a value for me either. Though I did benefit from non-alcohol drinks and liking to not have to sign for any drink at any time. 

At the time - Crystal was not that more than the other lines and considering tipping was included, and more excursions were included - it was an easy decision. 

Tipping on my Ama cruise was significantly more than what I paid for ocean cruises. So it is important to check out how much the tips are when factoring into the cost.

I was also surprised at the pricing that crystal is offering for the dates we’re looking at! I would have never guessed that going on a crystal cruise would be an option for us before I started my research 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Paul

I also do very detailed comparisons before choosing a cruise line [although more based on itinerary and excursions].  Your experience mirrors what I have long said:  a spreadsheet can only show the difference in prices between cruise options, not the difference in value – because it doesn't show quality.  Viking often shows up as the least expensive option, but that doesn't reflect the high passenger density on their ships and excursions.  AMA costs more, but that doesn't reflect the higher quality food and better excursion choices.  And the all-inclusive lines may well offer better value yet, because AMA's tipping guidelines add a lot of cost even for non-drinkers.

We are doing a back-to-back on AMA then Scenic in the Spring, and it will be interesting to see the quality differences between them.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the useful feedback! 

I just emailed our travel agent and asked her to book us on the Crystal Mozart. 

After inputting all relevant information into my spreadsheet comparing end price, dining and beverage options, included excursions and dates for travel and reading many, many reviews, Crystal was our clear winner.

The only downside is now we have a super long wait til our trip….good thing we have a trip to Curaçao and an ocean cruise booked between now and then! 😉

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 10:45 AM, Canal archive said:

Don’t forget to include tipping a friend didn’t realise that both the tour guide and the coach driver were expecting to be tipped.

In Europe? What? No European tips automatically other than a few select circumstances, and not even then if the service wasn't as good as it should be

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

In Europe? What? No European tips automatically other than a few select circumstances, and not even then if the service wasn't as good as it should be

Lines that cater to North Americans suggest tipping guides and drivers (if not included in the fare).

27 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Lines that cater to North Americans suggest tipping guides and drivers (if not included in the fare).

Ignore that unless independent research suggests that it is usual for locals to tip. 

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Viking does not include tips, and we were encouraged to tip the local tour guides and bus drivers.  If Crystal includes tips, I would inquire if that includes ALL tipping or just tipping of the ship's crew.

According to their website, Crystal’s pricing includes all tips including excursion guides and bus drivers