WHO advises people 60 or older to postpone travel due to Omicron

bajathree

I would rather live my life without all the 'hazards' of a virus. However, it is here and it is not going away. So, what to do? Get vaccinated if you choose, wear a mask if you choose and stay six feet away if you choose. I am vaccinated and boosted. I do not wear a mask unless it is required (doctor's office, airport, etc.). I go to where people gather without being six feet away. I try to live an ordinary life.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Here in PA we only have to look forward to Dr. Oz

The guy is not even a resident of PA and so is technically not qualified to run. Only reason he can finagle a way to do it is cause he uses his in-law's PA address. Sheesh...doesn't inspire much confidence. 

6 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Here you go....

From Peter Alexander.

BREAKING: The CDC confirms the first case of Omicron in the US was identified in San Francisco.

And all the major stock indices drop > 1% on this surprising (NOT) news of the inevitable.  What's the matter with people?

• Thanks 1

It seems that Covid is not going away anytime soon. The advisory, again, was taken out of context.  We all make our own decisions regarding risk.  No one should be chided for how they feel and act accordingly.

The only ones that should be ridiculed are those that insist on putting their heads in the sand and claiming everything is a hoax, dictated by politics, claiming "fake news" and whatever else uneducated, uniformed persons are doing. Really embarrassed for this country that some people actually believe all that nonsense

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

The guy is not even a resident of PA and so is technically not qualified to run.

Simply not true.  From the Senate's own website:

The Constitution prescribes that the Senate be composed of two senators from each State (therefore, the Senate currently has 100 Members) and that a senator must be at least thirty years of age, have been a citizen of the United States for nine years, and, when elected, be a resident of the State from which he or she is chosen.

He need only be a resident on election day....which means he probably needs to establish residency not long before.  He can run from now until Oct 2022 or there abouts.

Edited by marieps

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

And all the major stock indices drop > 1% on this surprising (NOT) news of the inevitable.  What's the matter with people?

Considering where the market was around 11 est, this was an intraday drop of nearly 1000 points.  People are reactionary...it's a costly bit of human nature in so many ways.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

Exactly, I was having a nice little recovery today and then the CA case drops in the news. I am scared to even buy on the dip tomorrow. What a mess!

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

The guy is not even a resident of PA and so is technically not qualified to run. Only reason he can finagle a way to do it is cause he uses his in-law's PA address. Sheesh...doesn't inspire much confidence. 

What’s going on now inspires confidence in you? 

maybe we all need to reach deep into who inspires confidence. With all due respect

22 hours ago, cruzer0007 said:

I think that headline that is circulating in mainstream media is a bit misleading. I don’t want to stay home either, I will take the appropriate precautions and live with some risk in order to have a more meaningful existence, including engagement with fellow cruisers !    I went directly to the WHO site, here is the only text I could find on the announcement page that mentions the age 60 guidance, please note the FULL statement they issued  (I put what I think is a key aspect in bold/italics below) :

Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.

it’s a reasonable recommendation, but I do not interpret that to mean all worldwide international travel to all destinations should be avoided … I’m not the brightest bulb in the light fixture but I interpret as avoid the “hot spots” type of guidance

Aren't they actually at the SAME risk they've been at for nearly 2 years now?  

On 12/1/2021 at 1:14 AM, cruzer0007 said:

Uh oh … did I break some rules ? Sorry if that happened … was not my intention to cause trouble,  just intended to share what I hoped was helpful info

I THINK the rule is 'no cut and paste from articles'....you may post the link to the article.  again...I think that's the rule.

12 hours ago, marieps said:

Simply not true.  From the Senate's own website:

The Constitution prescribes that the Senate be composed of two senators from each State (therefore, the Senate currently has 100 Members) and that a senator must be at least thirty years of age, have been a citizen of the United States for nine years, and, when elected, be a resident of the State from which he or she is chosen.

He need only be a resident on election day....which means he probably needs to establish residency not long before.  He can run from now until Oct 2022 or there abouts.

Well I could sell him my house if he is interested.😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Exactly, I was having a nice little recovery today and then the CA case drops in the news. I am scared to even buy on the dip tomorrow. What a mess!

These temporary dips at year end are an opportunity for me to manage my Capital Gains and tax burden.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

These temporary dips at year end are an opportunity for me to manage my Capital Gains and tax burden.

Yes, we are all concerned about  what the Capital Gains issue could be next year. I am well diversified with real estate, cash, stocks, and bonds. I was a former stockbroker in my prior life and still love trading.

I am vaccinated and boostered and at my age, not sure how many more cruises are out there for me.  I'm careful, but don't wear a mask unless I need to.   I live in a state that stayed opened and masks were voluntary.  I also know for a fact that the numbers were played with as far as cases and deaths.   This information told to me from both hospital workers and funeral directors.

Am  I worried?  No.  I've lived through many flu seasons and they all had variants of one sort or another.  I had a reservation on Viking and as soon as I found out masks were mandatory on the ship, I cancelled.  I'm not foolish, nor am I going to live in a bubble.  Life is too short.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I THINK the rule is 'no cut and paste from articles'....you may post the link to the article.  again...I think that's the rule.

Exactly. That's to prevent partial quotes which can take the message out of context. That's exactly what happened here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, esther e said:

I am vaccinated and boostered and at my age, not sure how many more cruises are out there for me.  I'm careful, but don't wear a mask unless I need to.   I live in a state that stayed opened and masks were voluntary.  I also know for a fact that the numbers were played with as far as cases and deaths.   This information told to me from both hospital workers and funeral directors.

Am  I worried?  No.  I've lived through many flu seasons and they all had variants of one sort or another.  I had a reservation on Viking and as soon as I found out masks were mandatory on the ship, I cancelled.  I'm not foolish, nor am I going to live in a bubble.  Life is too short.

I understand your point. Just a small comment regarding comparing Covid to the more run-of-the-mill  flu.

It;s true the flu has multiple variants. They both cause respiratory illness, but that is where the similarities end. Covid is far more dangerous, more easily spread, has a longer incubation period, longer transmission period, and much higher death rate (and it not caused by the influenza virus).  

• Like 2

Some form of covid is here to stay.  Just like the flu and even the common cold (which is a corona type virus).  What I’m hearing is good news from some doctors……that future mutations will likely be less deadly with milder symptoms.  The reports from South Africa indicated this too.

I too am tired of the fear mongers.  I have my booster scheduled.  We have been back on a cruise which was wonderful.  I’ve had cancer during covid, treatment will end this month, it’s gone. (Which is why I haven’t got my booster yet.) It’s time to get back to life while I still have one.  Keeping those who are older from travel is only going to take away some joy of the older years.  While we will still wear a mask and wash our hands once our boosters are in full effect we are done with limiting our lives due to covid. Life is too short to waste any more of it. We have 5 cruises scheduled and I’m planning to do every one of them. With everyone vaccinated and testing prior, it’s the safest way to travel right now.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I understand your point. Just a small comment regarding comparing Covid to the more run-of-the-mill  flu.

It;s true the flu has multiple variants. They both cause respiratory illness, but that is where the similarities end. Covid is far more dangerous, more easily spread, has a longer incubation period, longer transmission period, and much higher death rate (and it not caused by the influenza virus).  

Please we are cautioned repeatedly by the Mods to not discuss these types of details here.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Please we are cautioned repeatedly by the Mods to not discuss these types of details here.  

Can we get back to some music here and keep this over 60 group laughing.

We are all Senior adults (I am assuming) and have clearly made many good decisions in our lives to be here, retired, able to cruise etc. 

There is no need for anyone here to bash our Senior decisions. We all want to live full, healthy, happy lives and continue our wonderful travel journeys.

Bon voyage as our friend here will always say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Can we get back to some music here and keep this over 60 group laughing.

We are all Senior adults (I am assuming) and have clearly made many good decisions in our lives to be here, retired, able to cruise etc. 

There is no need for anyone here to bash our Senior decisions. We all want to live full, healthy, happy lives and continue our wonderful travel journeys.

Bon voyage as our friend here will always say.

Ok back to My Generation.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I still don't know how this affects Celebrity cruises.  They are sailing.  They are taking proven precautions in requiring vaccinations and testing for pre boarding.  So, why the hand wringing?  If your'e afraid to cruise, don't cruise.  It's a luxury.  If you're paranoid about it, don't do it.

Regarding stocks.....I have been in the market for decades.  Had some really good years.  Had some really bad years.  Lots and varied reasons for both.  If you're averse to risk, go to low yield investments.  The key is looking long term, not day trading (although, I've done that, too). I've made money over time in the market.

Since I've retired, my chief income is from investment property.  Again, same deal....its value has fluctuated depending on which way the wind blows, or how many crooked real estate schemes  are cooked up.  But, in the end, I have made good money over time

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I still don't know how this affects Celebrity cruises.  They are sailing.  They are taking proven precautions in requiring vaccinations and testing for pre boarding.  So, why the hand wringing?  If your'e afraid to cruise, don't cruise.  It's a luxury.  If you're paranoid about it, don't do it.

Regarding stocks.....I have been in the market for decades.  Had some really good years.  Had some really bad years.  Lots and varied reasons for both.  If you're averse to risk, go to low yield investments.  The key is looking long term, not day trading (although, I've done that, too). I've made money over time in the market.

Since I've retired, my chief income is from investment property.  Again, same deal....its value has fluctuated depending on which way the wind blows, or how many crooked real estate schemes  are cooked up.  But, in the end, I have made good money over time

Yes, being retired I am very risk adverse, however it is fun to take your play money and play with it too.

Yes, my real estate holdings have had my biggest returns, as well.

The virus actually has doubled my real estate  investments here where I live in CO. Crazy times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

ridiculous. These are not the sort of details you are referring to. When someone makes an incorrect claim or statement it needs to be corrected. People tend to believe anything they read  Either that or the entire subject of Covid (and its variants) should be totally forbidden.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1