Updated SailSafe Program (as of Nov. 23, 2021)

ShopperfiendTO

Hi,

O has updated its SailSafe Policy: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-11/sail-safe-health-program-v20.pdf

I am having a hard time deciphering how the following situations will be handled under this policy, assuming the travelers are fully vaccinated as described within the policy and are taking O's un-deviated air for a non-US cruise:

1.  What happens if you take the COVID-19 test within the 3 days and you test positive? 

I know there is an FAQ that states "If guests, members of their parties, and others traveling with them are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test within 2 weeks of their sail date, they will be entitled to either a refund or a Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”) for the amount paid."  But does this mean that we have to go to the airport and get officially denied boarding the plane because of the positive COVID test?  I guess I'm confused how we prove that we are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test if we can't board the plane to land in the country to be denied entry by an immigration official from that country.  Or is just having the positive COVID-19 test sufficient to be covered?

2.  What happens if you take the COVID-19 test within the 3 days and test negative but at the initial (starting) embarkation port you test positive?

The policy seems to describe what happens at the ports in between but seems silent on what happens at the initial port of embarkation.  If this happens, would we also be entitled to either a refund or a FCC?

What I am really worried about is if we are not able to physically get on the ship because of a positive test (either just before we leave for the airport or at initial boarding), will we be covered for a refund/FCC.  I couldn't find the answer for this in the policy.

Thanks for any help on this!

40 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

2.  What happens if you take the COVID-19 test within the 3 days and test negative but at the initial (starting) embarkation port you test positive?

The policy seems to describe what happens at the ports in between but seems silent on what happens at the initial port of embarkation.  If this happens, would we also be entitled to either a refund or a FCC?

What I am really worried about is if we are not able to physically get on the ship because of a positive test (either just before we leave for the airport or at initial boarding), will we be covered for a refund/FCC.  I couldn't find the answer for this in the policy.

I think O no longer does pre-embarkation tests at the port after Jan 17, 2022.  They require only the  certified lab test within 3 calendar days of embarkation.

Their prior policy probably applies to sailings before Jan 17, but I'm only surmising.  In that case, O  provides a  refund or credit if you test positive in the port test, but only if you had a negative certified lab test within 3 days of embarkation.

Have you asked your TA for clarification on  these items?

While the following doesn't address all of the OP'S questions it is a "clarification" sent to some TAs by O:

Latest Testing Requirements: 

We would like to provide you with an additional update to our pre-cruise testing requirements that we previously communicated on November 15, 2021. 

For voyages departing after January 17, 2022, Oceania Cruises will require that all guests procure and provide a negative, third-party (laboratory) verified Covid-19 test result at the embarkation terminal to board the ship. Guests may present either an Antigen or PCR test not older than two (2) calendar days prior to boarding for voyages embarking from a U.S. port and not more than three (3) calendar days old prior to boarding for voyages embarking in a non-U.S. port. 

Obtaining a negative, third-party (laboratory) verified Covid-19 test result prior to arrival at the embarkation terminal will result in a swifter, more efficient check-in and boarding process. 
For voyages departing prior to January 17, 2022, Oceania Cruises will provide mandatory, no-cost antigen testing at the embarkation terminal. 

UPDATE: Please ensure you bring a copy of the official results from your testing provider. Oceania Cruises will accept electronic or printed copies of test results. Test result documents must be provided in English and must include the following information:

Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
Your date of birth
The result of the test
The date the test sample was collected
The name of the test provider
Confirmation of the type of test provided

UPDATE: Guests may utilize proctored, self-administered tests such as EMED or the BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service where BioReference will send a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test. 

UPDATE: For those guests who are unable to secure testing prior to commencing travel and as an added convenience for those guests traveling overseas, Oceania Cruises will have testing available at the embarkation terminal for all departures. This testing will be provided by a local third-party provider at a cost of US $99 per guest, payable directly to the provider onsite. Please Note: Guests choosing this option should be aware that wait times for testing and results will vary based on the embarkation location and the number of guests requiring tests.   

UPDATE: For guests traveling on an Oceania Cruises’ pre-cruise Land Program, the cruise line will facilitate no-cost testing prior to embarkation. Note: this applies only to multi-day pre-cruise land programs and not pre-cruise hotel packages. 

Guests not in possession of a negative, third-party Covid-19 test result will not be allowed to embark the ship.

Should you need to locate a testing provider prior to beginning travel or while traveling prior to your cruise, please visit TestForTravel.com, an easy-to-use online tool for locating Covid-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or Antigen.  

For sailings from Miami, guests arriving via Miami International, Fort-Lauderdale-Hollywood International, and Palm Beach International airports may secure rapid Antigen or PCR testing services onsite with results delivered as quickly as 30 minutes for Antigen tests. 

For sailings from Papeete, rapid Antigen testing is available upon arrival at the Faa’a Airport with results delivered in little as 45 minutes. 

For sailings from Tokyo and Bali, rapid testing facilities are available the respective airports. Antigen test results are normally delivered in under one hour for Bali and in as little as 15 minutes in Tokyo. 

The online check-in process and staggered (“reserved”) boarding times will remain in place.  

Oceania Cruises will continue to evaluate and adjust pre-cruise testing requirements as the global health map evolves and we will communicate any changes in as timely a fashion as is practicable. Additionally, should local requirements in any embarkation ports require pre-boarding testing, we will notify those guests in advance of travel. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Oceania Cruises at:

United States and Canada 855-OCEANIA (855-623-2642)
United Kingdom and Europe +44 345 505 1920
Australia 1300 355 200
New Zealand 0800 625 691
Latin America +1 305 514 2267 / Brazil 0800 400 3130 
Singapore +65 31 651 677 / Malaysia +60 3-30992292 / India +91 22-71279118
Taiwan +886 2-77031292 / Hong Kong and the rest of Asia +852 2165 6010
China 400 842 8362

1 hour ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Hi,

O has updated its SailSafe Policy: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-11/sail-safe-health-program-v20.pdf

I am having a hard time deciphering how the following situations will be handled under this policy, assuming the travelers are fully vaccinated as described within the policy and are taking O's un-deviated air for a non-US cruise:

1.  What happens if you take the COVID-19 test within the 3 days and you test positive? 

I know there is an FAQ that states "If guests, members of their parties, and others traveling with them are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test within 2 weeks of their sail date, they will be entitled to either a refund or a Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”) for the amount paid."  But does this mean that we have to go to the airport and get officially denied boarding the plane because of the positive COVID test?  I guess I'm confused how we prove that we are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test if we can't board the plane to land in the country to be denied entry by an immigration official from that country.  Or is just having the positive COVID-19 test sufficient to be covered?

Good questions

But, the first order of business is to make sure you’re reading the real latest SailSafe FAQs. That 11/23 update was updated again on 11/24 and has some important additions.

Admittedly, your question #1 could be a bit confusing. However, as I see it, common sense prevails. Most countries that will refuse entry due to positive Covid require those flying in to be tested (currently/usually 48-72 hrs) prior to their arriving “in country.” So, for example, if your embarkation is in Cape Town, you must be tested prior to boarding the plane. If you test positive, you’ll be denied boarding and therefore denied entry to South Africa. (BTW: if you’re planning on spending some extended land time in South Africa, you’ll need to test again w/i 72 hrs of O embarkation.)

FWIW: United Airlines has a “Travel Ready” site on their web where you can plug in your confirmation number and it tells you what is required to get on the plane and, therefore, into the country. VERY helpful.

As to your question #2: your post is an excellent reminder to REGULARLY read ALL the associated docs. The FAQs you refer to are not the governing “policy.” 

What happens if you are denied embarkation due to a positive test at the pier (per the 11/24/21 FAQs update, a $99 option starting on 1/17/22) or within 72 hrs prior to embarkation (non-US start) or 48 hrs prior to embarkation (US start) is covered in your Ticket Contract:

f. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Boarding.
You agree that if at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or We otherwise determine in Our sole discretion that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, We will deny You boarding. Under these circumstances, unless We determine that You have failed to comply with Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

I think the above is as clear as it can be. Nonetheless, whether by accident or intentionally, O’s leaving this out of the FAQs is a real annoyance that will find many folks scratching their heads.

Finally: I’m not sure where the US Federal Maritime Commission is in their recent/current efforts to overhaul regulations governing cruise ship refunds et al.. But, I expect O will find itself required to issue refunds rather than FCCs (we shall see).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

Thanks! So.... Leaving out of Miami next week. Going a day early, so 2 days before boarding. Apparently, all we need is an antigen test no later than 48 hours before boarding.

Checked out the one-hour rapid PCR at the airport (as well as a rapid antigen).https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

$79-129--yikes! They are FREEE at CVS! 

3 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Thanks! So.... Leaving out of Miami next week. Going a day early, so 2 days before boarding. Apparently, all we need is an antigen test no later than 48 hours before boarding.

Checked out the one-hour rapid PCR at the airport (as well as a rapid antigen).https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

$79-129--yikes! They are FREEE at CVS! 

Except for select CVS locations stating “rapid results,” there’s no promise of delivery in time.

FWIW: The Exec Concierge at the Intercontinental Hotel Miami (near the port) says he sends cruise passengers to the City of Miami site at the nearby Salvation Army property where the can get rapid results testing (currently free).

Google City of Miami Covid testing and/or contact your hotel concierge. 

Thanks! Found a site that does free rapid testing within walking distance of hotel. They only accept reservations a week out so will schedule when available (but this week seems to be pretty open).  I did go ahead and schedule PCRs for us here on Friday as well. 

Get yourself a Binax Now Antigen proctored test as a back up.  We used it last week for our Thanksgiving week cruise on Celebrity Reflection.  It worked great.  As a backup we had an appointment with a local testing site..  Always have a backup.

Celebrity has had excellent success with their hygiene program, which includes 48 testing requirements.  Three weeks of zero Covid positive  test results for pax and crew.  Pax occupancy at 25% also helped.  Only once on the cruise did I encounter more than one person on the elevator!  More often than not the elevator had no one on the elevator.

• Like 1

So my TA was told today by O that no one is required to get any test in advance; all done at the terminal by O and at no charge.

They did say that if you DO show them a recent test, it will speed things up (guessing that means no need to retest).

We're scheduled to  board at 11 next week. I think we'll keep our PCR appt so that we can actually board near that time, instead of cooling our heels waiting for test results.

Binax not available in Canada.

Sofie, what your TA was told goes against the rules put out today by Biden. It could be that O is not yet up to date on what is going on. I was in touch with Viking today, they had NO clue what I was talking about.

48 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

So my TA was told today by O that no one is required to get any test in advance; all done at the terminal by O and at no charge.

They did say that if you DO show them a recent test, it will speed things up (guessing that means no need to retest).

We're scheduled to  board at 11 next week. I think we'll keep our PCR appt so that we can actually board near that time, instead of cooling our heels waiting for test results.

Have you read the zillion posts here on the CC Oceania forums regarding why folks doing cruises before January 17, 2021 (which will have O providing free antigen tests at embarkation) should do the “recommended” 72 hr max pre-test (PCR or Antigen) in order to have proof that you were negative in the 72 hrs pre-embarkation?
That recommended proof of no Covid PEC (PreExistingCondition) is REQUIRED if you want O to cover any Covid related costs should you test positive at the pier. Likewise, if you want to cancel w/o penalty “due to Covid,” you have to prove that you have/had it a/i 2 weeks of embarkation. This is a separate issue from cruise refunds/FCCs.

From 1/17/21 on, passengers are responsible for their own “embarkation testing (w/I 48 hrs for US departures and 72 hrs for foreign departures) though O will have pier testing available for a $99 pp charge.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

49 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

From O

"For cruises prior to January 17, 2022, we highly recommend (it is not required) for guests to get a laboratory antigen test prior to departing for their cruise to make sure they are able to travel.  We will then conduct another test at embarkation for clearance to sail".

You will have to take a test and wait for results no matter what you bring..from what I understand it takes 25 to  35 minutes from start to finish....

Jancruz1

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Have you read the zillion posts here on the CC Oceania forums regarding why folks doing cruises before January 17, 2021 (which will have O providing free antigen tests at embarkation) should do the “recommended” 72 hr max pre-test (PCR or Antigen) in order to have proof that you were negative in the 72 hrs pre-embarkation?
That recommended proof of no Covid PEC (PreExistingCondition) is REQUIRED if you want O to cover any Covid related costs should you test positive at the pier. Likewise, if you want to cancel w/o penalty “due to Covid,” you have to prove that you have/had it a/i 2 weeks of embarkation. This is a separate issue from cruise refunds/FCCs.

From 1/17/21 on, passengers are responsible for their own “embarkation testing (w/I 48 hrs for US departures and 72 hrs for foreign departures) though O will have pier testing available for a $99 pp charge.

So what is the situation from January 17, 2022, onward?  Will O still test at embarkation if you take your own test 3/2 calendar days before departure, or will O just use that negative test (it would have to be negative because if it were positive you wouldn't be allowed on the plane to fly into the embarkation port in the first place) and let you board the ship?

The concern I have, sorry for repeating, is being denied boarding for having a positive test at embarkation and if we would get FCC or refund because of that positive test. 

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

56 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

From O

"For cruises prior to January 17, 2022, we highly recommend (it is not required) for guests to get a laboratory antigen test prior to departing for their cruise to make sure they are able to travel.  We will then conduct another test at embarkation for clearance to sail".

You will have to take a test and wait for results no matter what you bring..from what I understand it takes 25 to  35 minutes from start to finish....

Jancruz1

Jan

No one is disputing that a pretest is “recommended but not required.” 

Rather, as was included in the O SailSafe FAQs up to and including the 11/15/21 update, my point (like O’s published one) is that:

For voyages departing prior to January 17, 2022, .....Oceania Cruises strongly recommends.you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation
. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take  laboratory administered Covid-19 Antigen test no more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive fir Covid-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

Translated, that means that O will NOT cover Covid related expenses such as quarantine and return home (if you are denied boarding because you tested positive at the pier) unless YOU demonstrate that Covid was NOT a PreExistingCondition before you arrived at the pier. If nothing else, this is plain common sense on O’s part. 

Interestingly, this statement above has disappeared from the 11/24/21 FAQs version. But, so has ANY statement about Covid related expenses should you be denied boarding. All that is left is the Ticket Contract statement regarding issue of a refund:

if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

IMO, whether O erroneously or intentionally left out any mention of the important “Covid expenses responsibility” item in the 11/24/21 FAQs, the smart insurance is to get proof of that negative pretest for use in any potential “worst case whizzing match” about Covid expense coverage related to denial of boarding at embarkation.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

41 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Thank you. In light of your point, think we'll just administer our home Binax test before we go.

As long as it’s the telemedicine proctored one from EMed, you should be okay.

Also, FWIW (I.e., a better understanding of why the pretest is important legally), see my post #16 above.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

So what is the situation from January 17, 2022, onward?  Will O still test at embarkation if you take your own test 3/2 calendar days before departure, or will O just use that negative test (it would have to be negative because if it were positive you wouldn't be allowed on the plane to fly into the embarkation port in the first place) and let you board the ship?

The concern I have, sorry for repeating, is being denied boarding for having a positive test at embarkation and if we would get FCC or refund because of that positive test. 

I answered your question about refund in my post #4. READ the Ticket Contract.

READ  the 11/24/21 SailSafe FAQs, which specifically addresses your questions about post 1/17/22 (who does what). It’s all crystal clear (except for covering Covid related quarantine/return travel expenses if you are denied boarding).

READ the responses above. They can’t be any clearer.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Jan

No one is disputing that a pretest is “recommended but not required.” 

Rather, as was included in the O SailSafe FAQs up to and including the 11/15/21 update, my point (like O’s published one) is that:

For voyages departing prior to January 17, 2022, .....Oceania Cruises strongly recommends.you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation
. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take  laboratory administered Covid-19 Antigen test no more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive fir Covid-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

Translated, that means that O will NOT cover Covid related expenses such as quarantine and return home (if you are denied boarding because you tested positive at the pier) unless YOU demonstrate that Covid was NOT a PreExistingCondition before you arrived at the pier. If nothing else, this is plain common sense on O’s part. 

Interestingly, this statement above has disappeared from the 11/24/21 FAQs version. But, so has ANY statement about Covid related expenses should you be denied boarding. All that is left is the Ticket Contract statement regarding issue of a refund:

if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

IMO, whether O erroneously or intentionally left out any mention of the important “Covid expenses responsibility” item in the 11/24/21 FAQs, the smart insurance is to get proof of that negative pretest for use in any potential “worst case whizzing match” about Covid expense coverage related to denial of boarding at embarkation.

Fortunately, it appears that O sent out a Travel Advisory today to at least those folks starting the ATW cruise and it’s December segments clarifying  EXACTLY what I have been pointing out regarding pretesting prior to 1/17/22 cruises. 
If you want to be covered for Covid related costs due to being denied embarkation for a positive pier test, the “recommended” pretest should be considered “required.” What was stated in the 11/15/21 FAQs and missing from the 11/24/21 FAQs update is now back (at least in today’s O letter):

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING

All guests will undergo COVID-19 testing prior to embarkation. In addition, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country. Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

I hope this gets everyone on the same page regarding  the importance of pretesting for the immediate future.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Flatbush wrote:

What was stated in the 11/15/21 FAQs and missing from the 11/24/21 FAQs update is now back (at least in today’s O letter)
—————-

Isnt it amazing how O either changes, or can’t keep track of their own changes in less than two weeks?

And as Flatbush frequently advises, the Ticket Contract is supposed to be the final say.  So does it matter what FAQs or a “letter” from O might say?

5 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

Flatbush wrote:

What was stated in the 11/15/21 FAQs and missing from the 11/24/21 FAQs update is now back (at least in today’s O letter)
—————-

Isnt it amazing how O either changes, or can’t keep track of their own changes in less than two weeks?

And as Flatbush frequently advises, the Ticket Contract is supposed to be the final say.  So does it matter what FAQs or a “letter” from O might say?

Funny you should mention that. The Ticket Contract also says:

In the event of a direct conflict between a provision of this contract and a provision of the Cruise Industry Passenger Bill of Rights (PBOR) in effect at the time of booking, the PBOR controls. In addition, in the event of any conflict between the COVID-19 policies, procedures and conditions set forth in Clause 5 or elsewhere herein and as those policies, procedures and conditions are set forth at www.oceaniacruises.com/health, the website controls.

I couldn’t make this stuff up.👀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Fortunately, it appears that O sent out a Travel Advisory today to at least those folks starting the ATW cruise and it’s December segments clarifying  EXACTLY what I have been pointing out regarding pretesting prior to 1/17/22 cruises. 
If you want to be covered for Covid related costs due to being denied embarkation for a positive pier test, the “recommended” pretest should be considered “required.” What was stated in the 11/15/21 FAQs and missing from the 11/24/21 FAQs update is now back (at least in today’s O letter):

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING

All guests will undergo COVID-19 testing prior to embarkation. In addition, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country. Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

I hope this gets everyone on the same page regarding  the importance of pretesting for the immediate future.

It would appear that any test taken prior to reaching the port would satisfy the requirement to ensure you have coverage if denied embarkation due to a positive result at the pier.  So they say that an antigen test would suffice, doesn't have to be a PCR as long as whatever it is is not longer than 72 hours prior.  Is that right?

2 minutes ago, jean163 said:

It would appear that any test taken prior to reaching the port would satisfy the requirement to ensure you have coverage if denied embarkation due to a positive result at the pier.  So they say that an antigen test would suffice, doesn't have to be a PCR as long as whatever it is is not longer than 72 hours prior.  Is that right?

Yes - but no home tests that are not telemedicine proctored. For example, Abbott Binax has both proctored (telemedicine)/unproctored versions. Google EMed for info.

Read the current O website SailSafe FAQs which also discuss this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes - but no home tests that are not telemedicine proctored. For example, Abbott Binax has both proctored (telemedicine)/unproctored versions. Google EMed for info.

Read the current O website SailSafe FAQs which also discuss this.

With the requirement for a test within a day prior to arrival in the US we felt we could get a laboratory antigen done the day before and then O would do that again at embarkation.  That would cover us I think and we're more than happy to go that route.  We can't buy over-the-counter type tests here in Canada so would definitely fit the definition of what is recommended.  We have thought about the PCR but the timing is difficult when you figure in a Sunday (which delays things up here) and we leave on a Monday and get to Miami on Tuesday afternoon so having it done Saturday is dicey that we would have the results in time unless we go the 'rapid' route which is exorbitantly expensive.  We did get the email about our December departure but had a chuckle that the US is listed as having no testing requirements or entry restrictions.  I have also read the terms and conditions that you agree to at online check-in and they certainly seem to contradict what the SailSafe programme lists as far as coverage for Covid costs, unless I'm missing something.  I am trusting that the SailSafe overrides the T&C which haven't been updated but that's kind of a scary assumption.

• Like 1