Updated SailSafe Program (as of Nov. 23, 2021)

ShopperfiendTO

1 hour ago, jean163 said:

With the requirement for a test within a day prior to arrival in the US we felt we could get a laboratory antigen done the day before and then O would do that again at embarkation.  That would cover us I think and we're more than happy to go that route.  We can't buy over-the-counter type tests here in Canada so would definitely fit the definition of what is recommended.  We have thought about the PCR but the timing is difficult when you figure in a Sunday (which delays things up here) and we leave on a Monday and get to Miami on Tuesday afternoon so having it done Saturday is dicey that we would have the results in time unless we go the 'rapid' route which is exorbitantly expensive.  We did get the email about our December departure but had a chuckle that the US is listed as having no testing requirements or entry restrictions.  I have also read the terms and conditions that you agree to at online check-in and they certainly seem to contradict what the SailSafe programme lists as far as coverage for Covid costs, unless I'm missing something.  I am trusting that the SailSafe overrides the T&C which haven't been updated but that's kind of a scary assumption.

Yes, best to complete the most stringent requirements interpretation.

Regarding the confusion on entering the scheduled Bahamas stop, last night on board we got a sheet with all the rules and regulations of getting off on all our stops. For Bahamas it says:

“There are no special requirements for this call, physical distancing is recommended.

Just now, Karen Lynn said:

Assuming Oceania do onboard testing and pre disembarkation testing ? Complimentary?

Many thanks 

We just disembarked Marina and Oceania did complimentary testing at embarkation, day prior to any port requiring a test and day prior to disembarkation in Miami.  The testing for disembarkation had several different test and you were given the appropriate test for your final destination (i.e - US, Canada, EU, etc.)

• Like 3

On 12/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

What happens if you are denied embarkation due to a positive test at the pier (per the 11/24/21 FAQs update, a $99 option starting on 1/17/22) or within 72 hrs prior to embarkation (non-US start) or 48 hrs prior to embarkation (US start) is covered in your Ticket Contract:

f. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Boarding.
You agree that if at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or We otherwise determine in Our sole discretion that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, We will deny You boarding. Under these circumstances, unless We determine that You have failed to comply with Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

Finally: I’m not sure where the US Federal Maritime Commission is in their recent/current efforts to overhaul regulations governing cruise ship refunds et al.. But, I expect O will find itself required to issue refunds rather than FCCs (we shall see).

the updated sail safe document says:

If guests, members of their parties, and others traveling with them are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test within 2 weeks of their sail date, they will be entitled to either a refund or a Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”) for the amount paid.

it also appears the website information supersedes the ticket contract. I had thought based on the thread that there was a change in the language of allowing for a refund, but it still looks like a refund is an option in the event of testing positive for covid.

Edited by dszrew

49 minutes ago, dszrew said:

the updated sail safe document says:

If guests, members of their parties, and others traveling with them are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test within 2 weeks of their sail date, they will be entitled to either a refund or a Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”) for the amount paid.

it also appears the website information supersedes the ticket contract. I had thought based on the thread that there was a change in the language of allowing for a refund, but it still looks like a refund is an option in the event of testing positive for covid.

Yes but recognize that “denied entry” in that FAQ means denied entry to the country of embarkation - not “to the ship.”  Part of the reason fo this item is to prevent folks from canceling the cruise and giving the reason  “due to Covid” without presenting some proof of an acceptable reason. In this “2 week” case, it would be due to denial of entry into the country (per the FAQ) and/or a positive Covid test within two weeks of embarkation (per the Ticket Contract).

Here’s the Contract item regarding the handling of positive test 2 weeks prior (Note that this is not in conflict with the FAQs):

f. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Boarding. You agree that if at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or We otherwise determine in Our sole discretion that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, We will deny You boarding. Under these circumstances, unless We determine that You have failed to comply with Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes but recognize that “denied entry” in that FAQ means denied entry to the country of embarkation - not “to the ship.”  Part of the reason fo this item is to prevent folks from canceling the cruise and giving the reason  “due to Covid” without presenting some proof of an acceptable reason. In this “2 week” case, it would be due to denial of entry into the country (per the FAQ) and/or a positive Covid test within two weeks of embarkation (per the Ticket Contract).

too much legalize for me. I realize now I just need travel insurance that will cover covid-related issues like this rather than rely on Oceania. I would need it anyway to cover other health issues or family issues that might come up. Oceania will only step in anyway if insurance denies it, but if I have the insurance I'm OK either way.

2 minutes ago, dszrew said:

too much legalize for me. I realize now I just need travel insurance that will cover covid-related issues like this rather than rely on Oceania. I would need it anyway to cover other health issues or family issues that might come up. Oceania will only step in anyway if insurance denies it, but if I have the insurance I'm OK either way.

Check with a broker that specializes in travel insurance - InsureMyTrip.com

7 hours ago, dszrew said:

There are other outlets for insurance besides Insure My Trip .  Trip Insurance Store (Steve has appeared on CC to answer insurance questions, you can find easily find Topic on cc), Square Mouth, and Trip Insurance (Dan appears on a cruise related podcast occasionally).

It goes without saying, but say it I must:  I do not have experience with each of the companies noted above and am not suggesting or endorsing one company over another. 

And one other thing, with trip insurance if Pre Existing Conditions (medical coverage) is a consideration, most insurance companies require trip insurance policy purchase with 14    or 15 day of initial trip deposit date.

But I'm telling you stuff that you probably know...

13 hours ago, dszrew said:

Oceania will only step in anyway if insurance denies it

I’m not sure this is correct. Based on what do you say this? I think insurance will only pay out if O declines to provide FCC/reimbursement.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Homerody said:

There are other outlets for insurance besides Insure My Trip ......  

......And one other thing, with trip insurance if Pre Existing Conditions (medical coverage) is a consideration, most insurance companies require trip insurance policy purchase with 14    or 15 day of initial trip deposit date.

There are a variety of reputable travel insurance brokers (all often mentioned here on CC). I prefer (and have used) InsureMyTrip primarily because there online Search Engine, to do custom comparisons built on your preferences , is the best of the bunch. Even if you don’t use that broker, do use their Search Engine........
.......Actually, there’s several excellent insurers that provide PEC waivers as long as you purchase the policy before the Final Payment date. One of them is Nationwide, which has two “cruise” policies - both having the PRC waivers and cruise-specific coverages like “missed port” compensation.

10 minutes ago, Ellemdee said:

Can anyone advise the cost of a PCR test on board please?  

We, as UK residents, now have to have a test 2 days before we return home (and also when we arrive 😐 ) so will need to test before we disembark.

Are you regularly reading the constantly updated SailSafe FAQs, which have a link on the front page of the O website? 
Here from the 11/24/21 update:

Will I be required to take a COVID test to disembark the vessel at the conclusion of my voyage?
For voyages sailing roundtrip from U.S. ports, Oceania does not require a disembarkation test. voyages disembarking outside of the United States, if a disembarkation test is required and will be administered onboard and cost will be covered by Oceania Cruises. (See Below)
Will Oceania Cruises offer testing on board to meet travel requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise?
Yes, COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered on board and paid for by the Cruise Line for those guests who require a test to return home. If a PCR test is required for any travel home, the Cruise Line will administer and pay for a PCR test only for those guests whose home country specifically requires a PCR test. It is the responsibility of the guest to determine which test is required for their return home and to confirm if the PCR test the Cruise Line is offering will be accepted by their home country. The PCR test onboard for cruises from Europe will be administered by Eurorfins. The PCR test for voyages sailing roundtrip from U.S. ports will be administered by Oceania Cruises’ onboard medical staff.

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Are you regularly reading the constantly updated SailSafe FAQs, which have a link on the front page of the O website? 
Here from the 11/24/21 update:

Will I be required to take a COVID test to disembark the vessel at the conclusion of my voyage?
For voyages sailing roundtrip from U.S. ports, Oceania does not require a disembarkation test. voyages disembarking outside of the United States, if a disembarkation test is required and will be administered onboard and cost will be covered by Oceania Cruises. (See Below)
Will Oceania Cruises offer testing on board to meet travel requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise?
Yes, COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered on board and paid for by the Cruise Line for those guests who require a test to return home. If a PCR test is required for any travel home, the Cruise Line will administer and pay for a PCR test only for those guests whose home country specifically requires a PCR test. It is the responsibility of the guest to determine which test is required for their return home and to confirm if the PCR test the Cruise Line is offering will be accepted by their home country. The PCR test onboard for cruises from Europe will be administered by Eurorfins. The PCR test for voyages sailing roundtrip from U.S. ports will be administered by Oceania Cruises’ onboard medical staff.

Thanks ....that's reassuring 

Well now, there is this news:

As Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay have established very specific insurance regulations for entering travelers that have caused concern for many of you, we are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has acquired the necessary coverage for all guests residing within the United States.

This coverage will be provided to you, free of charge, compliments of Oceania Cruises, to ensure your peace of mind.

This coverage will meet or surpass all currently established insurance requirements for Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay. If you hold a current travel insurance policy, this policy will provide you with coverage above and beyond what you currently hold. 

The policy is via AON-Affinity and includes up to $50,000 USD coverage for Emergency Accident Medical Expenses and for Emergency Sickness Medical Expenses and most importantly, covers Covid-19 related treatment if required. 

There is No Action Required on your part, Oceania Cruises will acquire the coverage for you, free of charge, as noted above. You will then receive an email notification from our Special Services department that contains your enrollment confirmation, which provides a link to certificate of coverage and the policy information.

Details on the coverage can be found here:

Travel Pro Plus Travel Protection Overview (affinitytravelcert.com

Should you wish to visit the Travel Pro web page linked above, there is no need for you to take any action or apply for coverage, it is for your reference only.

Should you have any questions once you receive your confirmation of coverage, please call AON Affinity at 1-800-343-3353.

I have a question for those that are either on, or recently got off , one of the 1100 passengers cruises. In Europe this summer the cruise lines had strict capacity controls on elevators. I believe max was four people. Is Oceania enforcing any limits, or is it still all you can stuff in?

21 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I have a question for those that are either on, or recently got off , one of the 1100 passengers cruises. In Europe this summer the cruise lines had strict capacity controls on elevators. I believe max was four people. Is Oceania enforcing any limits, or is it still all you can stuff in?

While we were cruising in Europe, the elevators were restricted to 4.  Once we began the crossing, it was no longer limited, and masks were optional on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

While we were cruising in Europe, the elevators were restricted to 4.  Once we began the crossing, it was no longer limited, and masks were optional on board.

Thank You for the information!

Did they likewise remove all the capacity controls and physical distancing in the Lounge for the Evening Entertainment?

43 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thank You for the information!

Did they likewise remove all the capacity controls and physical distancing in the Lounge for the Evening Entertainment?

Yes, all the 'leave this space free for social distancing' requirements & physical reminders were removed. Also all onboard masking requirements for guests were lifted once we left EU (staff still wore masks)

I have a Riviera cruise departing Barcelona April 4. I fly out April 2 and arrive BCN April 3 and will spend 1 night there before the cruise the next day. Currently, a covid test is not required to enter Spain from the US if you are vaccinated. Is Oceania going to require a negative covid test to board the ship in Barcelona? If so, can I get tested before I leave home where I can easily get an antigen test at CVS for free? Will O accept a test done 3 days before boarding the ship or is it exactly 72 hours? If not, then I will have to scramble to find some place in Barcelona on April 4 to get tested before getting on the ship as my flight gets in late on April 3.

Maybe all of this testing uncertainty is why O moved final payment dates for Europe cruises in 2022 back to 60 days. Some people on the roll call for this cruise have already cancelled due to all of this insanity.

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

I have a Riviera cruise departing Barcelona April 4. I fly out April 2 and arrive BCN April 3 and will spend 1 night there before the cruise the next day. Currently, a covid test is not required to enter Spain from the US if you are vaccinated. Is Oceania going to require a negative covid test to board the ship in Barcelona? If so, can I get tested before I leave home where I can easily get an antigen test at CVS for free? Will O accept a test done 3 days before boarding the ship or is it exactly 72 hours? If not, then I will have to scramble to find some place in Barcelona on April 4 to get tested before getting on the ship as my flight gets in late on April 3.

Maybe all of this testing uncertainty is why O moved final payment dates for Europe cruises in 2022 back to 60 days. Some people on the roll call for this cruise have already cancelled due to all of this insanity.

There are lots of options for getting the negative COVID test in Barcelona including the EMED proctored test... ever changing requirements will be part of traveling, including cruising, for the forseeable future.  Oceania is not the one making the change of requirements and I would bet the requirements will change several times between now and April.....

• Like 3