Updated SailSafe Program (as of Nov. 23, 2021)

ShopperfiendTO

Oceania will only step in anyway if insurance denies it

On 12/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, PhD-iva said:

I’m not sure this is correct. Based on what do you say this? I think insurance will only pay out if O declines to provide FCC/reimbursement.

Reading through the Oceania document, looks like they will reimburse you if you are denied boarding without this provision. However, for covering medical costs and helping you get home if you get covid during the cruise (or need to quarantine), there is this provision:

The cruise line will cover all costs incurred for treatment, quarantine, and transportation that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied. We will also cover the same costs, that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied, for identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine on board or are removed or denied re-boarding due to  being in close contact to a guest who tests positive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homerody said:

Consider this as heads up PSA (no, not the medical PSA....)  My travel insurance company will only accept PCR results if I file a COVID related claim. YMMV.

I was wondering about that so good advice.  Guess I'll need to check my insurance policy.

What is missing is any notice about the cruise locations that do require a face mask to be worn. Just stating "subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing"

without specifying which locales is misleading. Why can't Oceania spell out which sailings will require face masks and which will not.

22 minutes ago, susiesan said:

What is missing is any notice about the cruise locations that do require a face mask to be worn. Just stating "subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing"

without specifying which locales is misleading. Why can't Oceania spell out which sailings will require face masks and which will not.

LOL: 500 currently available itineraries.

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

LOL: 500 currently available itineraries.

I am talking about any sailings within the next 6 months or so. They could easily make this information current before the final payment date is due on a specific itinerary so people can decide whether they want to pay for and take their cruise or not. Oceania should stop advertising that they sail mask free. Most people do not do the research and read the fine print.

8 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I am talking about any sailings within the next 6 months or so. They could easily make this information current before the final payment date is due on a specific itinerary so people can decide whether they want to pay for and take their cruise or not. Oceania should stop advertising that they sail mask free. Most people do not do the research and read the fine print.

Think about it.

Covid equirements (government ones beyond O’s control) pre-Final Payment may very well have zero to do with the Covid requirements pre-embarkation.

What you are suggesting would be a useless exercise for both Oceania and its passengers.

• Like 3

I typically Google mask requirements for the various countries I’m visiting, don’t wait for Mother Oceania to hold my hand.

Oceania put out about a 9 page instruction pamphlet with step by step instructions on completing the Chilean Health Pass requirements. About two days after Oceania published the paper, Chile completely changed the online form and some of the requirements making Oceania’s work basically worthless. 🥺

Since we are in our 45 to 30 day window for submission of request: (1) I wouldn’t wait on Oceania republishing that, and;

(2)  Use the translator and follow the instructions.

• Like 1

Cruise lines typically don't take responsibility for figuring out whether you need a Visa (which rules don't change very often), so why would you expect them to do it for Covid rules (which seem to change every day)?  Once they put it in writing, people will claim they should somehow allow things even if they are later banned by the local governments.  Passengers need to remember the Army slogan about the 7 'P's...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Cruise lines typically don't take responsibility for figuring out whether you need a Visa (which rules don't change very often), so why would you expect them to do it for Covid rules (which seem to change every day)?  Once they put it in writing, people will claim they should somehow allow things even if they are later banned by the local governments.  Passengers need to remember the Army slogan about the 7 'P's...

Gasp...but sooooo true.

21 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

I wasn’t in the Army, but…

Proper planing prevents….?

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance.

And to travel in a pandemic, one must be flexible, patient, understanding, and have realistic and reasonable expectations of ourselves and the companies we are dealing with and their customer facing representatives  (unless and until they prove otherwise by their actions or inactions.)

And I love what Paul Theroux said in a recent interview I heard - a paraphrase:  Optimism is a prerequisite to travel.  So it is prudent to read, take personal responsibility for knowing the rules and regulations, prepare and plan for most likely scenarios.  Thus observing the 7 P's.  (Why is it that Beavis and Butthead came to mind.  He said p hehe  hehe....) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Cruise lines typically don't take responsibility for figuring out whether you need a Visa (which rules don't change very often), so why would you expect them to do it for Covid rules (which seem to change every day)?  

Sorry Jazzbeau, but many other cruise lines do inform their passengers of which countries require visas to visit. Other cruise lines, like Celebrity that I just came off of last week, seem to be able to update covid rules, limits, mask policies, etc. on a daily basis for the ports their ships are sailing to. And X has a lot more ships sailing now than Oceania does.

How difficult would it be for Oceania to add a caveat that says "currently all ships sailing in the EU have a mask requirement while onboard " ?. Come this spring and summer, that's where the majority of O's ships will be. The vast majority of people who take cruises do not do the extensive search into these details that we cruise junkies do. 

45 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Sorry Jazzbeau, but many other cruise lines do inform their passengers of which countries require visas to visit. Other cruise lines, like Celebrity that I just came off of last week, seem to be able to update covid rules, limits, mask policies, etc. on a daily basis for the ports their ships are sailing to. And X has a lot more ships sailing now than Oceania does.

How difficult would it be for Oceania to add a caveat that says "currently all ships sailing in the EU have a mask requirement while onboard " ?. Come this spring and summer, that's where the majority of O's ships will be. The vast majority of people who take cruises do not do the extensive search into these details that we cruise junkies do. 

I believe you are wrong. I believe most of Oceania’s seasoned cruisers do, in fact, Google mask requirements for countries they plan on visiting, if it is a big deal for them. 

Will Greece require masks in November 2022? What will the weather be on November 13th, 2022 in Venice? Will I need a rain coat? Oh, please Mother Oceania, I have no where else to go to get these answers!! I don’t want to pack a rain jacket if I don’t have to!!! 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Now I see Riviera as yellow and also one of the Regent ships.  We are slated to be on the Insignia next week and are really considering not going now.  Not so much worried about the ship, as it's the 'maiden' voyage but 3 flights to get to Miami with this new variant being so easily transmissible is the main issue for us.

On 12/13/2021 at 6:34 PM, susiesan said:

The mask rules can change overnight. Maybe you should think about not travelling until nowhere you think you might want to go doesn’t have a possibility of a mask rule being brought in. 

It appears to me from the context of your posts regarding masks and covid pandemic in general that you believe the virus should be adhering to your rules and your wants. Pandemics generally don’t tend to do that. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1