RCCL - Covid Testing protocol ... what are the "real" logistics everyone is finding easiest?

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

I have a CVS near me and several Urgent Cares that I can use for my January cruise out of my home port so that will be my first trial run.

My next situation is going to be my cruise out of San Juan in March. With my pre-cruise stay that trip test may be a bit more difficult to manage.

Then comes April with our extended family and grandkids...hopefully by then I will have learned how to manage all this.

Thanks to all that have responded.

I would not stress about March and April at this point. They are months away. Who knows what the situation will be then anyone. Cut your stress down by just creating a plan for January and then focus on having a great cruise. I see lots of people on here stressing a bit much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi,

We are on the 12/11 Symphony.  I have an appointment at our local CVS but if I had these I'd cancel our appointment and use these instead.  The only concern is we're flying out next Thurs, 12/10.   Do you think that is enough time for shipping?  

Thank you

Sue

No idea, but email me @ scoot.beeper.0c at icloud.com (assuming the icloud magic hidden email will work).  Priority mail is pretty quick.  If you are looking for the free ones I have.  If you are buying from emed or optum, they ship overnight.  So max 1-2 days ordering today.

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi,

We are on the 12/11 Symphony.  I have an appointment at our local CVS but if I had these I'd cancel our appointment and use these instead.  The only concern is we're flying out next Thurs, 12/10.   Do you think that is enough time for shipping?  

Thank you

Sue

CVS is free. If you were able to get a testing appt. I'd keep it.

2 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

CVS is free. If you were able to get a testing appt. I'd keep it.

Yes, free is good.  They did charge my insurance $159.00 and BlueCross paid the full amount.  Good profit in covid tests!  You would think CVS would try very hard to not cancel any.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Sailing with a fully vaccinated 12 year old.  Royal says antigen accepted but proctored tests can only be done if 18 or over right? 

My kids are 15 & 17.  I had to create the Navica account, add them as additional names (managed account), then show my ID and theirs during the session.

It says 14&u may collect their own samples.4-14 will require an adult to collect samples.

Look at the FAQ on the emed page.

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1

Not everyone is finding this easy.  Almost had a panic attack last Sunday after multiple attempts to do the Optum test via cell phone failed.  Multiple disconnects, could not hear, nor understand.  Will NEVER attempt that again.  Finally threw them out and found a clinic in Ft. Lauderdale to do the tests.  Had our results in 15 min.  Name is Lab Doctor, 1425 A SE 17th.  Highly recommend

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dickfey said:

Not everyone is finding this easy.  Almost had a panic attack last Sunday after multiple attempts to do the Optum test via cell phone failed.

My preference was/will always be my laptop. There is a chat function if you are having trouble hearing/understanding, at least on a laptop (or webcam/mic equipped desktop). Obviously a stable internet connection is required. I am sorry you had issues, glad you found somewhere to have it done.

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Did you have to pay shipping? I'm looking and they want an extra $15 to ship. 

One site may include shipping, I know one does not. This also may be reimbursable via insurance (it is technically a prescription), I believe it can be payed using an HSA if you have that type of plan.

47 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Thanks!  I only read 18 and up.  Royals site did direct me to use the emed site so this now makes sense.  This will make testing so much easier.  The DH and I have already done it just didn’t know about the GS.

Just be aware that emed is experiencing shipping delays so don't leave the ordering to the last minute.

1 hour ago, Dickfey said:

Not everyone is finding this easy.  Almost had a panic attack last Sunday after multiple attempts to do the Optum test via cell phone failed.  Multiple disconnects, could not hear, nor understand.  Will NEVER attempt that again.  Finally threw them out and found a clinic in Ft. Lauderdale to do the tests.  Had our results in 15 min.  Name is Lab Doctor, 1425 A SE 17th.  Highly recommend

Thanks so much for admitting it's not always easy. Some just can't understand it can be.

Does anyone know if the new rules about flying into US and needing a Covid test 24hrs before applies to cruises?  We are cruising to Mexico 12/15 to 12/20 and will have a test on 12/13 before we fly to Houston but do we need a test when we get off the ship before we fly home?

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, mac_tlc said:

I schedule a rapid antigen test at CVS for two days before sailing as soon as the date is available to book, usually 13 days prior. Get results in an hour or so. Insurance covers it, so no $$$. If I am concerned about a cancellation, I’ll book a back up appointment one day prior to sailing.

mac_tlc

I'm leaning toward CVS as well. Good to know it's about 13 days prior to book. Here in Florida the CVS available testing lists "Rapid -result test".  This is the same as an antigen test, AKA a rapid antigen test, correct?  

I wish I could use my Emed test for my upcoming Grandeur cruise in 3 weeks out of Barbados.  We have to have a PCR test on the 23rd then tested at Barbados airport before we take our shuttle to port, then tested on last day of cruise.  We had to get a PCR test with less than 24 hour results as it is Christmas Eve and Christmas Day before our trip.  I would love if it was the same scenario as my Adventure trip last month where I did test in 30 minutes at my kitchen table the day before my flight to Houston.  And if I had multiple outlets to just get a rapid antigen test with quick results.

Edited by jean87510

3 hours ago, Dickfey said:

Yup, we are a little concerned about connecting in our hotel room to emed, since we will be in Florida 3 days before the cruise.

4 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

My kids are 15 & 17.  I had to create the Navica account, add them as additional names (managed account), then show my ID and theirs during the session.

It says 14&u may collect their own samples.4-14 will require an adult to collect samples.

Look at the FAQ on the emed page.

Oh thank God.  Because we're using this for my fully vaxxed 7 year old.  

2 hours ago, train said:

I'm leaning toward CVS as well. Good to know it's about 13 days prior to book. Here in Florida the CVS available testing lists "Rapid -result test".  This is the same as an antigen test, AKA a rapid antigen test, correct?  

Yes, that’s the one.

For those who have access to Walgreens you should use Walgreens which IDNOW is a Molecular test that is accepted even by the picky Canadian government.

They open the appointment schedule 7 days in advance at midnight but here in Broward County (where Port Everglades is in),  literally you could do walk up (actually drive thru window without appointment) at some not so busy Walgreens locations.  You can see how a location is busy or not when you to to schedule your appointment - stores still have the next day appointments are stores you can do walk up without problem. 

There is NO same day appointment to schedule but you can always do walk up at non-busy store.

On top of that the results come back super fast.  I had one done in Oct because Air Canada insisted I needed one even though I was only transiting (final destination was Paris).  So I found a Walgreens to schedule an appointment a day before I flew.  The result came back in 1 hr 10 min.

Yesterday we went for our tests for our Odyssey sailing tomorrow.  We left Walgreens at 9:46am,  I got emails on test results 10:25am.

Walgreens does not even ask insurance info unlike CVS,  I believe it directly bills the government.

There are so many Walgreens in Broward county, you should be able to schedule one if you stay an overnight in Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise.

Most locations have plenty appointment slots just 2 to  3 days out but now you can schedule 7 days in advance, you can plan ahead and should not have any issue to get an appointment at a location near your hotel.

Edited by nho9504

2 hours ago, nho9504 said:

For those who have access to Walgreens you should use Walgreens which IDNOW is a Molecular test that is accepted even by the picky Canadian government.

They open the appointment schedule 7 days in advance at midnight but here in Broward County (where Port Everglades is in),  literally you could do walk up (actually drive thru window without appointment) at some not so busy Walgreens locations.  You can see how a location is busy or not when you to to schedule your appointment - stores still have the next day appointments are stores you can do walk up without problem. 

There is NO same day appointment to schedule but you can always do walk up at non-busy store.

On top of that the results come back super fast.  I had one done in Oct because Air Canada insisted I needed one even though I was only transiting (final destination was Paris).  So I found a Walgreens to schedule an appointment a day before I flew.  The result came back in 1 hr 10 min.

Yesterday we went for our tests for our Odyssey sailing tomorrow.  We left Walgreens at 9:46am,  I got emails on test results 10:25am.

Walgreens does not even ask insurance info unlike CVS,  I believe it directly bills the government.

There are so many Walgreens in Broward county, you should be able to schedule one if you stay an overnight in Ft. Lauderdale for the cruise.

Most locations have plenty appointment slots just 2 to  3 days out but now you can schedule 7 days in advance, you can plan ahead and should not have any issue to get an appointment at a location near your hotel.

But is that a PCR test?