What is important to crew

On 12/3/2021 at 7:32 AM, WindinmySails said:

We just came off Adventure, and it was mentioned to us from 5 different crew members how important that survey is.  Mentioning specific crew members by name, and being specific as to why they were good is very important.  We even tipped our waiter extra at the end of our cruise and he unceremoniously put it in his pocket and said, the most important thing we could do for him was to fill out the survey....being positive of course.  

We noticed that also on our last cruises before covid hit.  We were on one of the last cruises before cruising was shut down.  I did fill out the survey as they requested, but I would of anyway without all those reminders!

Glad to see that you got the negative test result that you needed to get on your cruise, I know how stressful that must of been because my husband just tested positive this week and we are suppose to go toward the end January and I am worried about his test.  He also is fully vaccinated.  When did your tests start showing up negative after your illness?

Glad you had a great time!  

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The question still remains, in my mind, as to whether we are doing them a service or a disservice by answering Yes to the question of Did any crew member ask you to give them a 10?  Are they instructed to do so, or do they take it upon themselves to do so?

When I was a university instructor, I knew that all my students would be given a survey every term.  Their ratings were certainly important to me, but I can't imagine even mentioning the survey, much less hinting that a high rating would be appreciated.

If my memory is correct (big if), a number of years ago that question was added. At the time, it seemed to me that it was not good if someone begged for a 10. With that memory, right or wrong, I say “NO”. 

Lately, more crew seem to mention it’s coming and stress importance of it rather then asking for a 10. To me, that reinforces my potentially faulty memory. 

mac_tlc

I have learned to just smile and nod when staff tries to sell me something or ask me to do a survey.  They are tasked to do it and it’s cost nothing to politely say no to the upsell and yes to the survey.  BTW I always answer no when asked if someone ask to give them a 10.  They deserve 100!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, gg255210 said:

We noticed that also on our last cruises before covid hit.  We were on one of the last cruises before cruising was shut down.  I did fill out the survey as they requested, but I would of anyway without all those reminders!

Glad to see that you got the negative test result that you needed to get on your cruise, I know how stressful that must of been because my husband just tested positive this week and we are suppose to go toward the end January and I am worried about his test.  He also is fully vaccinated.  When did your tests start showing up negative after your illness?

Glad you had a great time!  

Thank you so much!  We really needed a getaway!  

Rapid antigen test a couple weeks out was negative and I just had a PCR test this past week and was negative.  I hope that your husband tests negative as well! Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

I read this article regarding crew being allowed to get off the ship in ports from a couple weeks ago.  

https://crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-international-crew-allowed-shore-leave-us-ports:    

Crew members on some Royal Caribbean ships are also allowed to go out in ports with guest tours. This option is available as an award for the crew with most comments in guests' comment cards."

I know even when we last cruised, these comments were extremely important to the crew.  We got to know the bartender in Vintages - and he talked to us about how things were for them.  Positive comments from guests, where crew are named, definitely have a positive impact on them.  

Generally speaking, not just RC, I’m tired of higher ups in companies trying to quantify everything and putting so much emphasis on being able to do that.  I don’t, generally speaking, see where that has made that much difference in customer experience over the years.  There is too much subtlety and subjectivity to rely so much on these numbers.  

I’ve been in these board meetings looking at these things and these surveys and stats can be molded into whatever you want them to be, or read way too much into by higher ups.  I’ve even seen what everyone knows is a great idea not implemented simply because it’s not quantifiable.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why companies want to quantify everything, I just don’t believe that the time spent quantifying ultimately adds as much to the bottom line or customer experience as they think it does.

Just my opinion, I’m sure there are folks out there with all kinds of quantifiable data to prove me wrong…lol

• Like 1

I always get a kick out of threads guessing what would be a nice gesture for the staff.

Staff: PLEASE TAKE THE SURVEY. GIVE ME A 10. I HOPE I DID A GOOD JOB!

Cruiser: Does any American have an idea of what nice thing they would enjoy?

In the age of big corporations, social media, etc these scores are how they measure satisfaction. Having managed them before, I can honestly say they were one of the worst things about my job. If you don't get perfect scores, you will likely be coached and reprimanded. Always compared to others who are doing better. It never ends. 

For me, I don't remove my gratuities. I do not demand the world of them. I do not degrade them. If they do a good job, I will take the survey. I sleep at night just fine.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, scheat said:

Generally speaking, not just RC, I’m tired of higher ups in companies trying to quantify everything and putting so much emphasis on being able to do that.  I don’t, generally speaking, see where that has made that much difference in customer experience over the years.  There is too much subtlety and subjectivity to rely so much on these numbers.

I don't mind them trying to quantify the experience, but I take exception to surveys where only the highest number is considered "passing."  

So for 1 - 10, 1 - 9 is considered unacceptable and only a 10 is OK.

At that point they should just ask, "Was your experience acceptable Yes or No."

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 8:41 AM, Laurie997 said:

So somewhere someone mentioned ink pens. My gracious neighbor gave me over 500 ink pens that are to be given to crew. Not in lew of tipping of course just because. Who do I give these to?

I saw that post but I think it was on another social media site.  Made me laugh everytime I saw a crew member with 4 or 5 pens clipped to his/her pocket.

Sherri🙂

We were asked quite a few times to do the survey. After asking one of the crew members in the lounge why such emphasis and they said it is merit based. If they get 10s and multiple ones from guest, they get incentives. So maybe they get a better job assignment, time off or the ability to leave the ship. I find it annoying, especially in the MDR but I understand it is not their fault. 

I was on Oasis Thanksgiving week and the last night in the MDR. We heard the same survey request from Head Waiter...Beverage Server...and I assume Dining Room Manager. It is VERY annoying. I understand our Head Waiter requesting this but I dont need to hear it 2 more times. 

I really feel for most of those working on these ships. Most work long hours for very little pay.  When we've received great service -we've made sure to comment about it on the surveys. 

It's their management that should be blamed for the workers asking for top ratings and survey responses. It sounds like they are only treated well if they get these "10's" and comments. 

Surveys like this annoy me, not just in cruising - but we see it everywhere.  Even our doctors are rated based on surveys our medical group emails us.  It's ridiculous.  You often have surveys after customer service phone calls, too.  

Crew members aren't supposed to ask guests to fill out the survey...or to answer in a certain way.  Anyone who does that is breaking the rules. That being said,  mentioning a crew member personally in a survey is about the best (or worst) thing you can do for them.  

The most important question on the survey is the "Would you recommend Royal Caribbean to your friends, family or colleagues?". They get their NPS (Net Promoter Score) from that question. 0-6 are "detractors", 9-10 are "promoters", and 8-9 are "neutral". The neutrals are thrown out, and then the detractors are subtracted from the promoters. The remaining score is the NPS, and that score is a major metric for the company.

Edited by miraflores

4 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I was on Oasis Thanksgiving week and the last night in the MDR. We heard the same survey request from Head Waiter...Beverage Server...and I assume Dining Room Manager. It is VERY annoying. I understand our Head Waiter requesting this but I dont need to hear it 2 more times. 

Why do you even cruise.  You seem to complain about everything on cruise ships.      You don’t like the way tipping is and now you don’t like the way they ask about the survey.   What else don’t you like ?
You must be miserable on your cruises.   

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1