Discount on upgrading to Premium drink package?

michaeljc70

In the past I've seen a discount (I believe 20%) for purchasing the drink package in advance.  Does anyone know if they still do that and if it also includes upgrading your drink package?  My cruise is at the end of January and online it shows $12/day + 20% gratuity to upgrade.  

There is an upgrade discount based on status. Select is 5%, I think Elite is 10%. Has to be done before sailing. The only time I have ever seen 20% is when Celebrity has a sale. ……..btw, the $12/day includes gratuity. It’s $10/day plus 20% gratuity = $12

Edited by Purplsmurf

Last time I tried to call to upgrade, they wouldn't do it because our reservation is with a TA (took me an hour on the phone to find this out).  I gave up and just booked online without the Captain's Club discount since it was a 5-day cruise. 

For our upcoming cruise, I had my TA call about the upgrade, reminding her there was a CC discount.  Just checked my OBC and of course X charged the full price.  Very annoyed that X didn't automatically apply it, and she didn't pay attention, either.  I asked her to please call again for the adjustment.

Anyway, my point is if you have a TA, they have to make the call, and make sure they know to get the discount.

Edited by hiccups

3 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Last time I tried to call to upgrade, they wouldn't do it because our reservation is with a TA (took me an hour on the phone to find this out).  I gave up and just booked online without the Captain's Club discount since it was a 5-day cruise. 

For our upcoming cruise, I had my TA call about the upgrade, reminding her there was a CC discount.  Just checked my OBC and of course X charged the full price.  Very annoyed that X didn't automatically apply it, and she didn't pay attention, either.  I asked her to please call again for the adjustment.

Anyway, my point is if you have a TA, they have to make the call, and make sure they know to get the discount.

That is interesting because we always use a TA, but I have always had to call Celebrity directly  to do the upgrade before sailing to get the discount 

8 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

That is interesting because we always use a TA, but I have always had to call Celebrity directly  to do the upgrade before sailing to get the discount 

I was surprised, too, based on everyone here calling for their discount.  The first person I spoke to said I had a TA so they couldn't help, but I could do the upgrade online.  I explained I wanted the CC discount.  They put me on hold, and after some 20-30 minutes I got to someone and again explained, who tried to transfer me back to the first department!  I was able to stop her before then, telling her that was the department that sent me to her, and she transferred me supposedly to someplace else.  After another 35 minutes, I gave up.  We're Select so it's only a 5% discount, and I just paid the extra $6 online with our OBC.

I'm also annoyed that my TA tried to put the upgrade on our credit card rather than use our X OBC!  She said it didn't go through, thankfully, and so she used the OBC.  I have no idea why she would think we'd want to pay $168 on our credit card when we were sitting there with $350 X OBC.  I wouldn't have thought I would need to tell her that.  We've used her for over 5 years, but we've had a couple things happen lately that we might start to look around.

Edited by hiccups

I just upgraded, via phone, from classic drink package to premium for an upcoming cruise (did it on Nov 26, 2021 for a Jan 2022 cruise).  We are Elite, so got the Elite discount.  For a 9-day cruise, it was $162.00 without gratuity ($81 each … $9.00 per day each);  with gratuity ended up being $194.40 for two ($97.20 each,  $10.80 per day each).  Hope this info helps.

16 hours ago, jelayne said:

$10 pp per day plus 20% gratuity, so $12 per day for Classic to Premium.

Its well worth it to upgrade to premium. I paid just under $14 per day in CAD as there was also a slightly discounted price in addition to my Elite discount.  I assume it had something to do with the exchange rate at the time. 

1 hour ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

I just upgraded, via phone, from classic drink package to premium for an upcoming cruise (did it on Nov 26, 2021 for a Jan 2022 cruise).  We are Elite, so got the Elite discount.  For a 9-day cruise, it was $162.00 without gratuity ($81 each … $9.00 per day each);  with gratuity ended up being $194.40 for two ($97.20 each,  $10.80 per day each).  Hope this info helps.

Its a bargain if you take advantage of all the drinks, water etc. 

59 minutes ago, michaeljc70 said:

Thanks for the responses. It is annoying you have to call to get the discount.  It is also annoying it seems you cannot use an OBC unless you wait to upgrade on board.   I'll probably just upgrade online.

You can use the OBC to upgrade by calling.  I did.  You can't use travel agent OBC until you get on board.

You CAN use Celebrity OBC and you CAN call yourself if you have a TA and you CAN upgrade one person only if you wish. Call the Captains Club (they'll transfer you to the booking dept.) There are a lot of new staff and they are working RC bookings also, so sometimes they get confused. Insist they speak to a supervisor if you aren't getting your needs met. In the last month I've had them tell me that all adults have to upgrade,  and they also told me I'm a SELECT member when I'm Elite. TAs make zero commission on drinks  dining,  spa, excursions, etc, which is why the system is set up for passengers to book themselves. 

Edited by royalcruz

On 12/4/2021 at 6:01 PM, hiccups said:

Who did you call? You must call the Captain's Club, not the regular Celebrity number. 

On 12/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, papaflamingo said:

I'm Elite.. I upgraded on line not knowing about the CC discount.  Thanks for the info.  However I will say, after reading how difficult this may be, I think I'll just keep what I got.  The $17 discount isn't worth my time or stress.  

A whopping $8 or so for us 'almost-elites'. 

I'd rather wait to book onboard and upgrade at the bar where I'll be frequenting so that the bartenders there get extra $$ in their pockets for selling the upgrade.

12 hours ago, oneputt18 said:

Who did you call? You must call the Captain's Club, not the regular Celebrity number. 

I did call Captain's Club.  The problem is now that they are so busy, calls get routed to one queue and you may not speak to someone at Captain's Club, which is what happened when I called for our November cruise (and the ensuing transfers). 

I had the same thing happen yesterday--called CC and got someone in reservations.  Eventually he was able to understand the issue, put me on hold, and spoke to someone that was able to fix the upgrade for our February cruise so we got our CC discount.

20 hours ago, D C said:

A whopping $8 or so for us 'almost-elites'. 

I'd rather wait to book onboard and upgrade at the bar where I'll be frequenting so that the bartenders there get extra $$ in their pockets for selling the upgrade.

For me the upgrade to the PBP was only worth it for the sparkling water and large bottles of Evian. Most of the wines and martinis on this package are priced at $11 and the wine choices are not that great unless you want to drink Caymus or Opus which is an upcharge of another $10 or so.