Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

4 hours ago, Trimone said:

This is a cruise into quarantine, if the new variant is on board it will go from 17 to 100s within the week easily 

NCL are completely irresponsible putting money before passengers health.

Trimone is correct and to criticize the opinion is sad and not what cruise critic is supposed to be. We each have her opinion and mine is that what shocks me is the amount of defense in favor of cruise lines by posters.  We are giving them our money. They have an obligation to be transparent and work for our safety.   They have not done so and to allow then next sailing to go forward is irresponsible.  I ask the defenders if they ever heard of the Stockholm Syndrome? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, trish99 said:

We just got off the ship.  They totally mislead everyone saying they had to test everyone due to a new CDC reg.  Everyone was tested yesterday starting about 12 or 12:30 pm.  Very orderly and went fast.  We weren't aware of any positive cases until seeing the news article this morning. 

That is very disappointing. 

• Like 2

I have a feeling that the issue may have stemmed from a crew member with travel to/from Africa and may be the reason the cdc got involved so quickly. In my opinion the crew member has not been confirmed to have omicron but is instead "suspected" to have it as ncl's letter to guests on board says. My guess is they will be trying to confirm this within the next few days. This is just my hunch based on the language in the letter. 

• Like 2

the sail safe protocol is one aspect.

we have experienced the "physical distance" 4 weeks ago on a ncl ship. The signs at the elevators shows: max 4 persons. Unfortunately many people ignore this and the elvators were fully crowd.

and the antigen tests on bord: the last test bevor disembarkation was a joke. the test stick touches my nose for about 1 second....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I hope the port to cut short would be Harvest Caye and the one to skip is Costa Maya. Too much good snorkeling opportunities from Cozumel and Roatan. It would be horrible to miss those two stops of HC and CM.

Sailing to Roatan now..  so skipping Cozumel and likely shortening Roatan. 

Edited by rtkenmore
  • Like 1

Just now, rtkenmore said:

Sailing to Routan now..  so skipping Cozumel and likely shortening Routan. 

That really stinks. Those are the best two stops on the cruise. Eliminate Costa Maya and shorten Harvest Caye. We are on this cruise in April. Harvest Caye almost looks like a ship day with the prices on the little island. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

That really stinks. Those are the best two stops on the cruise. Eliminate Costa Maya and shorten Harvest Caye. We are on this cruise in April. Harvest Caye almost looks like a ship day with the prices on the little island. 

It’s just not that easy.  The first stop is Cozumel and they can’t get there in time for their scheduled arrival…. The pier may not be available the following day or at all the remainder of the week due to other scheduled calls.  And Harvest Caye is in between two other ports so shortening it really doesn’t get you anything to gain. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LouChamp said:

Trimone is correct and to criticize the opinion is sad and not what cruise critic is supposed to be. We each have her opinion and mine is that what shocks me is the amount of defense in favor of cruise lines by posters.  We are giving them our money. They have an obligation to be transparent and work for our safety.   They have not done so and to allow then next sailing to go forward is irresponsible.  I ask the defenders if they ever heard of the Stockholm Syndrome? 

At one of the office buildings i work at since the pandemic started, whenever someone tested positive they just section off that area of the building where the person was at  and then hired an hired party cleaning company to clean and sanitize the area. then it was business as usually the next day at the office and you would never noticed there was a covid person in the area. Similar, i am sure they are doing like that on the cruise ship with knowing what area the person is at and just closing off that area.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 9:19 AM, BirdTravels said:

Basis of this claim?

We sailed on an international cruise where 100% of the passengers were tested before disembarkation. They had 3 Eurofin nurses along with a few non-medical helpers managing reservations, checking people in and keeping people organized. Not a big deal. 

We recently returned from sailing on the Getaway out of Rome.  Everyone was tested in the terminal prior to getting on board and again on the ship the day before disembarkation.  It was very organized and by allotted time slots. They did it by the deck you were on.   Large medical staff on board handled it. We were impressed.

• Like 3

I am not sure of all the panic here. It was 10 cases (at least from what I saw reported). That is 0.3% infection rate. I can understand if they want to investigate for Omicron specifically, but covid in general this was extreme  on a whole new level. Since Omicron is already here, going to this extreme is crazy as well. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, bigrednole said:

I am not sure of all the panic here. It was 10 cases (at least from what I saw reported). That is 0.3% infection rate. I can understand if they want to investigate for Omicron specifically, but covid in general this was extreme  on a whole new level. Since Omicron is already here, going to this extreme is crazy as well. 

I think it is 17 cases now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trimone said:

This is a cruise into quarantine, if the new variant is on board it will go from 17 to 100s within the week easily 

NCL are completely irresponsible putting money before passengers health.

The Cdc had a meeting upon their return yesterday and gave them permission to sail.  Whether it was cdc or ncl decisions but all passengers have to mask up indoors or outdoors when not able to socially distance.

I'm sure there will be some additional pop us cases for those that just disembarked and possibly additional pop us cases on this sailing but I dont think (hope not) 100s of positive cases. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The fact that is upsetting to me is how ncl lied to the passengers asking why everyone had to be tested on Saturday.  Saying it was a new cdc requirement instead of telling people the real reason is Wrong!

They needed to be upfront, not hide and make up a lie!!!!

THIS EXACTLY!  They didn't have to lie or mislead.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The fact that is upsetting to me is how ncl lied to the passengers asking why everyone had to be tested on Saturday.  Saying it was a new cdc requirement instead of telling people the real reason is Wrong!

They needed to be upfront, not hide and make up a lie!!!!

Yes, spreading misinformation is never appropriate, even if it is to save face.

• Like 2

Just to clarify ... from CDC ....

Criteria for Ship Color Status – For Ships in US Waters

Ship color status is determined using surveillance data from the previous 7 days—regardless of voyage dates— and CDC investigation findings. The following persons are not included when determining a ship’s color status:

• Passengers who test positive for COVID-19 on the day of embarkation who do not board the ship, or
  • Newly embarking crew members who test positive during their embarkation quarantine period.
  • Like 1

Also ... from CDC ... (Breakaway is/was on a "restricted" voyage)

Yellow Ship Criteria

• Ship is at or above CDC’s investigation threshold:
    • Restricted Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 0.10% or more of passengers (e.g., if 6500* passengers on board, CDC’s investigation threshold is met if there are 7 or more cases among passengers occurring during the previous 7 days), or
        • This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.
      • One or more cases reported in crew.
    • Simulated Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 1.5% or more of passengers, or
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
    • Ships with Crew Only (i.e., not yet submitted requests for simulated voyages or applications for restricted voyages, pending CDC approval, or sailing at a later date).
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
  • OR
  • During the past 7 days, the ship failed to submit one or more daily EDC submissions on time (by 1200 ET). On a weekly basis, CDC emails all ships a reminder to submit the EDC form. In addition, CDC sends a reminder email if a ship does not submit their EDC form.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Still though, how can you be relaxed on your vacation knowing that the previous cruise before yours had a covid outbreak on it and you were filed in like cattle on the same day. For anyone with an international flight out after, I’d be shitting bricks for my pcr results. 

They were all given the choice to leave the pier and get a full refund if they were uncomfortable boarding the ship.  

• Like 5

It will be interesting to see if Breakaway stays YELLOW, and if so, for how long. The next CDC update will come tomorrow afternoon (12/7) with data submitted from the ship today (12/6). I would think that Frank Del Rio would want the ship to go to ORANGE and then to GREEN as quickly as possible to put this behind NCL.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raitch said:

They were all given the choice to leave the pier and get a full refund if they were uncomfortable boarding the ship.  

Wow, thats is great. Didn't realize they were doing that.  We are sailing joy next week and its nice to know if there is a similar issue, we will be given a choice to sail or not.  That somewhat sets our minds at ease because we were having some heartburn over that yesterday reading all of these articles. thx

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

It will be interesting to see if Breakaway stays YELLOW, and if so, for how long. The next CDC update will come tomorrow afternoon (12/7) with data submitted from the ship today (12/6). I would think that Frank Del Rio would want the ship to go to ORANGE and then to GREEN as quickly as possible to put this behind NCL.  

From what I have seen once a ship goes to Yellow (probably Orange also) it stays there for many days in the 'remains under observation' action stage.  I would not expect it to go back to Green for at least the duration of the current cruise.  I don't believe they go from Yellow to Orange; once the observation is complete it's directly back to Green.

• Like 1