Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

7 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

According to articles that I have read the crewmember from South Africa was in isolation for the entirety of the cruise.  That suggests that they had recently boarded and were following the quarantine protocol.  And since they were supposedly asymptomatic I presume they were found to be infected  through a scheduled test.

Then why quarantine/isolate on a ship. Put them up in a hotel for 2-weeks, test there, then when cleared put them on the ship? Or, do the quarantine/isolation on a ship without passengers that can be a more controlled environment. This is what other lines have done. There are tons of crew members with YouTube videos on their 2-week quarantines.

55 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

why quarantine/isolate on a ship. Put them up in a hotel for 2-weeks, test there, then when cleared put them on the ship? Or, do the quarantine/isolation on a ship without passengers that can be a more controlled environment. This is what other lines have done. There are tons of crew members with YouTube videos on their 2-week quarantines.

NIMBY?  The Louisiana Dept. of Health (who seems to have broken this story with their tweets) made a big deal about noting that the probable Omi-infected crew member DID NOT leave the ship. 

Also, with no symptoms, our poor crew member will probably clear the virus quickly and get back to work ASAP.  That's easier to do when you're already at your workplace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

Then why quarantine/isolate on a ship. Put them up in a hotel for 2-weeks, test there, then when cleared put them on the ship? Or, do the quarantine/isolation on a ship without passengers that can be a more controlled environment. This is what other lines have done. There are tons of crew members with YouTube videos on their 2-week quarantines.

This works when you're in the beginning of a redeployment and you have extra ships located in close proximity to those getting ready to be deployed.  Now that more and more of the fleet is in operation, there are fewer facilities to use for purely quarantine (and those that are available, may not be located where it makes sense for the eventual ships the crew will serve on).  Bottom line, this isn't a long term strategy.

As has been pointed out, NO wouldn't allow disembarkation of the infected crew member...as such, stuck finding somewhere for them on the Breakaway.

1 hour ago, ocdb8r said:

This works when you're in the beginning of a redeployment and you have extra ships located in close proximity to those getting ready to be deployed.  Now that more and more of the fleet is in operation, there are fewer facilities to use for purely quarantine (and those that are available, may not be located where it makes sense for the eventual ships the crew will serve on).  Bottom line, this isn't a long term strategy.

As has been pointed out, NO wouldn't allow disembarkation of the infected crew member...as such, stuck finding somewhere for them on the Breakaway.

If you are on a cruise and one or more COVID cases are discovered, who is quarantined?  I know people that have been on overseas tours where even those with negative COVID tests are still quarantined for several days.

9 hours ago, milolii said:

That is good question.  I think the discovery of the Omicron variant onboard is probably what triggered the response.  So my guess it was known sometime towards thr end of last week, a day or two before disembarkation.  Then the mass on board testing began.  

Also the specimens were probably flown to a lab that could perform the specialized examination.  UCSF, for example, identified the first US case in just under 8 hours.  Think a university setting.  Could of been performed in Mexico, as well. 

For anyone interested here is a graphic that explains how they determine if you have a "suspected" case of Omicron and how they confirm that as well  (Source:  https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59460252).  More detail in the article.

Graphic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

If you are on a cruise and one or more COVID cases are discovered, who is quarantined?  I know people that have been on overseas tours where even those with negative COVID tests are still quarantined for several days.

I believe those who are discovered through contact tracing are quarantined until their test results are complete - at least over night. I have seen such reports here on CC.

51 minutes ago, UhOhQuarantined said:

How many passengers were symptomatic and didn't just test positive?

I think all the people who tested positive were asymptomatic.

6 minutes ago, klmbelle said:

I would love to hear from someone who is currently on the NCL Breakaway cruise that left New Orleans on 12/5/2021.  

There have been one or two people who reported getting on the ship.  I'd like to hear from them too, but entirely understand that they have better things to do than feeding our curiosity.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, brad0576 said:

That is only on the next sailing on Breakaway - not any other ship.

That remains to be seen.  "Up to this point, masks were not required. It was not clear if the incident on Norwegian Breakaway would lead to changes on other sailings."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I think all the people who tested positive were asymptomatic.

There have been one or two people who reported getting on the ship.  I'd like to hear from them too, but entirely understand that they have better things to do than feeding our curiosity.

What would you like to know.

We're onboard right now enjoying ourselves completely without worries.

The crew have been fantastic and the amount of cleaning/wiping surfaces down has been unbelievable.....even exceeding normal levels.

Nearly all passengers masked in elevators but other than that not a lot different except that they request you wash your hands and use hand sanitizer when entering ANY eating venue.

In other words, common sense precautions. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ShowMeCruise said:

There you are!  Your report (which I cut out) told me a lot of what I wanted to know.  Thank you for that.  Two other questions:

1) Did NCL provide you with any masks?

2) Do you know when your two tests are going to be?

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

There you are!  Your report (which I cut out) told me a lot of what I wanted to know.  Thank you for that.  Two other questions:

1) Did NCL provide you with any masks?

2) Do you know when your two tests are going to be?

Thanks in advance!

Yes.....there were two N95 masks in each room when we onboarded and regular paper masks are available everywhere on the ship should you like one.

Our 1st testing is today and the final test will be on Saturday, the day before departure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, ShowMeCruise said:

Yes.....there were two N95 masks in each room when we onboarded and regular paper masks are available everywhere on the ship should you like one.

Our 1st testing is today and the final test will be on Saturday, the day before departure.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You're a saint for indulging us.  Now go out and do something fun!!

P.S.  Good luck on today's test!  I hope you get an "N"!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShowMeCruise said:

We're onboard right now enjoying ourselves completely without worries.

The crew have been fantastic and the amount of cleaning/wiping surfaces down has been unbelievable.....even exceeding normal levels.

Nearly all passengers masked in elevators but other than that not a lot different except that they request you wash your hands and use hand sanitizer when entering ANY eating venue.

In other words, common sense precautions. 

You are the only voice of reason on this "BLOG".

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

What I saw on the news this morning was many of the passengers claiming they knew nothing of the positive cases until hearing it on the news and social networks.   Was that true or were they just uninformed? 

probably just uninformed.  I sailed on RCL Adventure out of the Bahamas back in June, on the 2nd sailing.  We had 2 cases of COVID on board that were found when we were all tested on the 5th day for our required US flight testing, to get us back home.  They quarantined the family and took them off the next day at the next port.  Captain came over the loud speaker and gave a full update.  My guess was less than half the passengers heard the announcement and were surprised to hear it from the passengers who did.  Probably loud music on the pool deck or people in their rooms missed the announcement.

We cruised on Breakaway to Bermuda about six weeks ago. I did not hear any announcement(s) about anyone test positive on the PCR test administered before boarding. We did occasionally see crew in full PPE down the hall from us and we speculated that someone tested positive or had contact with a positive and was in quarantine. But, no announcements.

After the cruise we saw on our roll call that 12 people were quarantined. Other Bermuda cruises had similar reports. It doesn’t seem like NCL announces these things.  

54 minutes ago, icedearth15324 said:

When I reached out to NCL support about my cruise that departs 12/12, they said at this time they do not expect there to be any changes to their original covid protocols for my trip.

are you sailing on the breakaway or a different ship?