Tipping for drinks and food

36 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

No, it's just folks who are not D and above and/or do not have the beverage package and pay as they go.

I understand why. I was pointing out to a previous poster that receipts are still very common. He stated he rarely saw receipts any more and thought it was due to COVID, which obviously is not the case. 

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I hate that they add gratuity when you buy a drink package on Cruise Planner. I shouldnt be charged gratuity on the front end. 

Tipping culture has gotten out of hand in the US and has some pretty unintended consequences that people who work for tips have to endure all in the name of a tip. I would rather be charged more upfront than be expected to tip.

As a consumer on a cruise, I shouldnt be expected to supplement someones income because the cruise line industry doesnt pay them a fair, living wage. Me going on a cruise and paying my fare contributes to the employment and wages of the workers. If I spend $1000 on a cabana for instance, why should i be expected to tip the attendant? The markup on Cabanas are ridiculous to begin with and Royal can certainly afford to give the cabana attendant a bonus. 

My advice to new cruisers, no matter how unpopular this opinion is, is to go to guest services and have the automatic gratuities removed and to tip only if they want to and not be pushed by an abusive and punitive policy

If you cannot afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. Whether you like it or not, staff on most major cruise lines depend on gratuities. Crew members bust their butts to make sure passengers enjoy their cruise. Anyone who would remove gratuities is a POS in my book. If you don’t like the policy, you shouldn’t cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I hate that they add gratuity when you buy a drink package on Cruise Planner. I shouldnt be charged gratuity on the front end. 

Tipping culture has gotten out of hand in the US and has some pretty unintended consequences that people who work for tips have to endure all in the name of a tip. I would rather be charged more upfront than be expected to tip.

As a consumer on a cruise, I shouldnt be expected to supplement someones income because the cruise line industry doesnt pay them a fair, living wage. Me going on a cruise and paying my fare contributes to the employment and wages of the workers. If I spend $1000 on a cabana for instance, why should i be expected to tip the attendant? The markup on Cabanas are ridiculous to begin with and Royal can certainly afford to give the cabana attendant a bonus. 

My advice to new cruisers, no matter how unpopular this opinion is, is to go to guest services and have the automatic gratuities removed and to tip only if they want to and not be pushed by an abusive and punitive policy

1.  I firmly believe that if you feel this way, you should not place yourself in an environment where tipping is normal and expected and forms the majority of the employees' income.  If you disagree with the way that Royal Caribbean runs its ships, go on Silver Sea or Seabourn or Regent or some other cruise line where you are NOT expected to tip above and beyond your fare, where this is all incorporated.  You are paying for it one way or the other.  

2.  <gratuitous insult>UNC.  <snort>  explains a lot.</gratuitous insult>

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

1.  I firmly believe that if you feel this way, you should not place yourself in an environment where tipping is normal and expected and forms the majority of the employees' income.  If you disagree with the way that Royal Caribbean runs its ships, go on Silver Sea or Seabourn or Regent or some other cruise line where you are NOT expected to tip above and beyond your fare, where this is all incorporated.  You are paying for it one way or the other.  

YES!!!  It is especially insulting to the very hard working behind the scenes crew that we never see, but who work equally as hard for us on a luxurious vacation.  I firmly believe the lines should have a sign in the guest services lane where tip removers go, "GRATUITY REMOVERS LINE UP HERE"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand why. I was pointing out to a previous poster that receipts are still very common. He stated he rarely saw receipts any more and thought it was due to COVID, which obviously is not the case. 

All I know is that even during The Before Times, people with a drink package were still often brought a "zero bill" receipt to sign (so they could add an additional tip).  

In the post-COVID world, I have NEVER seen someone with a drink package or a Diamond voucher given a zero-balance receipt to be signed.  

42 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you cannot afford the gratuities, you can’t afford the cruise. Whether you like it or not, staff on most major cruise lines depend on gratuities. Crew members bust their butts to make sure passengers enjoy their cruise. Anyone who would remove gratuities is a POS in my book. If you don’t like the policy, you shouldn’t cruise. 

strawman 

it’s not a matter of affording gratuities, it’s a matter of adding them before service is even rendered.

AND the crew members are paid to do a job that they have agreed to. Cruise lines should pay staff more. That’s who you should be upset with instead of calling ppl names who have a different opinion 

And as a consumer, I am well within my rights to decide how i tip and do not need the cruise lines to charge me upfront 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

strawman 

it’s not a matter of affording gratuities, it’s a matter of adding them before service is even rendered.

AND the crew members are paid to do a job that they have agreed to. Cruise lines should pay staff more. That’s who you should be upset with instead of calling ppl names who have a different opinion 

And as a consumer, I am well within my rights to decide how i tip and do not need the cruise lines to charge me upfront 

How long have you been cruising?

On 12/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I get your point. But sometimes it is nice to just do something for a server, or other crew, without it seeming like RCI is trying to twist your arm to make it happen.

Agree.  However, I have seen soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many passengers that desperately need an arm (or two) twisted........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

It’s obvious that since I can remove gratuities then it looks like your issue is with them. Why does Royal care so little about their employees that they allow customers to remove tips? Why does Royal pay employees less? Why can’t they pay crew what they would make in tips?

also, no one is forcing the crew to work for cruise lines. They willfully agree to terms of their contracts. 

I pay the published fare that the cruise lines give to me. Anything else I pay should be at my discretion and not foisted upon me even before service is rendered 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

It’s obvious that since I can remove gratuities then it looks like your issue is with them. Why does Royal care so little about their employees that they allow customers to remove tips? Why does Royal pay employees less? Why can’t they pay crew what they would make in tips?

also, no one is forcing the crew to work for cruise lines. They willfully agree to terms of their contracts. 

I pay the published fare that the cruise lines give to me. Anything else I pay should be at my discretion and not foisted upon me even before service is rendered 

Royal gives you a choice.  You can remove them or keep them (or even add them back I’m guessing).  The employees know this and certainly know tips can be removed.  So I don’t think they just assume your tips allotment is already in their pocket on day one.   They are working all cruise for it.  

So why gripe about their system.  They give you a choice.  I quite like their system because I don’t have to worry about all the figuring out allotments at the end of a cruise.  I now just figure out how much extra I want to give varying staff.  So much easier than the old days.  

I just don’t understand you recommending that new cruisers remove auto tips. How about give them a chance to earn before you just take it away.  Since you say you aren’t against tipping, but instead just don’t want to be forced, just let it play out and wait until the end of a trip to decide.  That would be my advice to anyone weary of the system.  

I have never once, in way to many cruises to count, thought the suggested allotment was too much.  Never.  Even when things weren’t great.  About $100 for a week of multiple meals and two a day room cleaning.  Come on.  That is ridiculously cheap.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

strawman 

I assume you are new to cruising so I apologize if I was a little harsh. For most crew members the majority of money they earn is from gratuities. Additionally, most crew members are supporting a family back home. So when you remove gratuities, you are basically treating crew members like slaves in that they are now working for you without compensation. That’s why it really bothers me when someone removes gratuities because crew members depend on them to survive. Maybe if/when you go on several cruises you will realize how hard crew members work to make your cruise enjoyable and you will feel the same way most long time cruisers like me feel…if you can’t afford the gratuities you can’t afford the cruise. 

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

All I know is that even during The Before Times, people with a drink package were still often brought a "zero bill" receipt to sign (so they could add an additional tip).  

In the post-COVID world, I have NEVER seen someone with a drink package or a Diamond voucher given a zero-balance receipt to be signed.  

From my experience even before COVID I was never given a receipt when ordering a drink (I always get the drink package). On cruises both before COVID and on the five cruises I have been on this year I occasionally ask for a receipt so I can add a tip. Years ago I used to always tip in cash, but from talking to multiple bartenders over the years, it doesn’t matter if you tip with cash or using a receipt. However, I still usually tip with cash unless I am ordering a drink when I am in a pool or hot tub and I don’t have cash on me. 

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I assume you are new to cruising so I apologize if I was a little harsh. For most crew members the majority of money they earn is from gratuities. Additionally, most crew members are supporting a family back home. So when you remove gratuities, you are basically treating crew members like slaves in that they are now working for you without compensation. That’s why it really bothers me when someone removes gratuities because crew members depend on them to survive. Maybe if/when you go on several cruises you will realize how hard crew members work to make your cruise enjoyable and you will feel the same way most long time cruisers like me feel…if you can’t afford the gratuities you can’t afford the cruise. 

Oh no, I asked, said has been cruising for 20 years.  Apparently has this down to a science.

• Haha 1

When I started going out to drink I was taught to tip big in the beginning and they will take good care of you.

So I usually give $20 on day 1 to bartenders that I know I will be returning to throughout the cruise.  

Usually get great drinks and great service so I will tip more throughout the cruise.

• Like 2

What would be nice if RC could actually tell cruisers where our gratuities go.   So who gets a cut?    

let’s say 2000 people on a cruise.(Covid#)

If everyone paid their gratuities thats 250,000.  give or take.  
who gets a piece of that?   What %.  
so secretive.  Lol 

either way I still tip on top of what I pay.    

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Then it sounds like your problem is with the cruise lines who are being exploitative with their hiring and wage practices. When you buy your daily goods and services do you feel bad for the workers in foreign countries that work for pennies on the dollar? Do you feel the same obligation to them that you do for cruise crew workers? The crew are no more “slave” workers than any other worker who agree to contracts of their own free will. You are part of the problem then because you implicitly agree with the cruise lines paying unfair wages by agreeing to pay part of their income through tipping. I feel no such obligation to pay upfront for service that I have not received. My agreement as a consumer is to pay the established fare that is given to me. 

The employer is responsible for paying employees not me as a consumer 

2 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Then it sounds like your problem is with the cruise lines who are being exploitative with their hiring and wage practices. When you buy your daily goods and services do you feel bad for the workers in foreign countries that work for pennies on the dollar? Do you feel the same obligation to them that you do for cruise crew workers? The crew are no more “slave” workers than any other worker who agree to contracts of their own free will. You are part of the problem then because you implicitly agree with the cruise lines paying unfair wages by agreeing to pay part of their income through tipping. I feel no such obligation to pay upfront for service that I have not received. My agreement as a consumer is to pay the established fare that is given to me. 

The employer is responsible for paying employees not me as a consumer 

So do you tip when you go to a Resturant ? . .?      
Or do you stiff the waiter or waitress ?    
most wait staff is paid the least amount possible and they all work for tips.   
isn’t this the same thing?  

5 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

So do you tip when you go to a Resturant ? . .?      
Or do you stiff the waiter or waitress ?    
most wait staff is paid the least amount possible and they all work for tips.   
isn’t this the same thing?  

I have never had a restaurant charge me a set amount of gratuity before I even sat down for dinner and received service. 

Edited by UNCFanatik
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I have never had a restaurant charge me a set amount of gratuity before I even sat down for dinner and received service. 

There are quite a few restaurants that add a REQUIRED tip to every bill.  Whether you see it before or after you eat, it is still REQUIRED.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Yes.. I proudly do and will make no apologies for it. 

Good on you, not.  The folks that do the sheets, towels, prep the food, stock the wine/beverages, clean the staircase rails, elevators, screw them.  Nice…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

Happens all the time for group dinners (say 15-20 people) at many very nice restaurants.  Experienced it a bunch for corporate outings or even just a large party for a birthday.  It is very common.  

• Like 3