Club dining question

SarahHben

Hello

I have booked a cruise on Ventura in 2023, I booked on launch and booked Freedom dining for me and my husband. My parents have now booked on the same cruise and have selected club dining, I forgot to tell them I booked Freedom dining. If I change our option to club dining to eat with my parents does that mean we will share a table with others too or can we ask for a table for 4? I know Covid times are different but hopefully in 2023 things will be back to ‘normal’ 

Also if we have to share a table for 6 or 8 what happens if we go to a select restaurant or the buffet one night instead, do you have to let the MDR know so that the other table companions aren’t waiting for you?

Assuming you booked a select fare and not a saver one, you should be able to link your bookings and request a table for 4, although it is never guaranteed you will get one.  It is certainly courteous to let other dining companions know when you won't be there, although not many appear to do that sadly!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Hello

I have booked a cruise on Ventura in 2023, I booked on launch and booked Freedom dining for me and my husband. My parents have now booked on the same cruise and have selected club dining, I forgot to tell them I booked Freedom dining. If I change our option to club dining to eat with my parents does that mean we will share a table with others too or can we ask for a table for 4? I know Covid times are different but hopefully in 2023 things will be back to ‘normal’ 

Also if we have to share a table for 6 or 8 what happens if we go to a select restaurant or the buffet one night instead, do you have to let the MDR know so that the other table companions aren’t waiting for you?

I am assuming that you have booked select or you would not have been able to book your dining choice? if your parents booked select they could contact P&O/TA and ask to change or vice versa. If you go for club ask for the bookings to be linked or you could be on different tables. We have changed club sittings before by going to the restaurant at the first opportunity and requesting a change. We have never been able to get freedom on a late/early saver as it has always been booked up but no harm in asking. You can request a table for 4, you may or may not have to wait, if you are on a table for 6/8 and you are going to a select restaurant I always think it is good manners to let your table companions/waiter know.

• Thanks 1

Thank you that’s helpful, yes we booked select fare and so did my parents. They aren’t keen to switch to freedom dining as they were on Ventura last week and heard lots of tales of people waiting ages for tables on freedom dining.

Dad was given a link code when he booked so I’m waiting for him to send that to me and then I’ll call P&O to link it from our end.

Sorry another newbie question, if we swap to club dining and end up with a table of more than the 4 of us, and we decided fairly last minute to eat somewhere else, how would we go about letting the others on our table know? Can you just call the dining room?

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 1

We were on Ventura last week and never had to wait too long for a table, and that was only because we wanted a table for two . If you book using the app then technically there's no wait at all. I often joined the virtual queue on the App about 10 minutes before the theatre show finished and could walk straight to the restaurant for dinner. Cant remember seeing anyone waiting for table if they were happy to share, even if they hadn't prebooked.

Edited by Bobblehat71

13 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

We were on Ventura last week and never had to wait too long for a table, and that was only because we wanted a table for two . If you book using the app then technically there's no wait at all. I often joined the virtual queue on the App about 10 minutes before the theatre show finished and could walk straight to the restaurant for dinner. Cant remember seeing anyone waiting for table if they were happy to share, even if they hadn't prebooked.

I’m sure you’re right but sadly they heard enough to put them off and it seems silly us sticking to freedom dining if they have club dining on the same cruise.
It was their first P&O cruise but they’ve cruised with Cunard and Princess and have always had a set dining time so that’s what they’re happiest with.

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’m sure you’re right but sadly they heard enough to put them off and it seems silly us sticking to freedom dining if they have club dining on the same cruise.
It was their first P&O cruise but they’ve cruised with Cunard and Princess and have always had a set dining time so that’s what they’re happiest with.

Trouble is what you hear whilst on a cruise and the truth can be very different.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble is what you hear whilst on a cruise and the truth can be very different.

You're right. If someone has to wait 10 minutes for a table,  they let all and sundry know about it, whilst the 99% of pax who have no wait at all, say nothing.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you that’s helpful, yes we booked select fare and so did my parents. They aren’t keen to switch to freedom dining as they were on Ventura last week and heard lots of tales of people waiting ages for tables on freedom dining.

Dad was given a link code when he booked so I’m waiting for him to send that to me and then I’ll call P&O to link it from our end.

Sorry another newbie question, if we swap to club dining and end up with a table of more than the 4 of us, and we decided fairly last minute to eat somewhere else, how would we go about letting the others on our table know? Can you just call the dining room?

For Club dining, why not tell your table companions on the first night that you might be missing some nights and to start without you if you are not down by your normal time? Even if you were simply delayed and you then turn up late, you won't find your seats have been given away by the staff - they would just be left empty that night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

You're right. If someone has to wait 10 minutes for a table,  they let all and sundry know about it, whilst the 99% of pax who have no wait at all, say nothing.  

To be honest, if I find myself waiting for a table (or even just trying to find one at the buffet) it never occurs to me to complain to anyone. Its a cruise... I'm not going to go hungry any time soon.

I'm not really much of a complainer in general, but I think some people are the opposite and feel better for having a good moan about everything.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

For Club dining, why not tell your table companions on the first night that you might be missing some nights and to start without you if you are not down by your normal time? Even if you were simply delayed and you then turn up late, you won't find your seats have been given away by the staff - they would just be left empty that night.

Thank you. That’s a very good idea, why didn’t I think of that 😳

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HikingPete said:

I'm not really much of a complainer in general, but I think some people are the opposite and feel better for having a good moan about everything.

Exactky - and the same people will write a negative review. 

Shows that you have to take all reviews,  especially the negative ones, with a huge pinch of salt.   

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 10:18 AM, Host Sharon said:

It is certainly courteous to let other dining companions know when you won't be there, although not many appear to do that sadly!

I agree with that statement Sharon. On our first cruise we were on a table for 8 and had to wait to order our dinner until two other couples arrived. They had decided to eat elsewhere and hadn't  had the manners to let anyone know. We always informed our waiter or maitre d' if we wouldn't be dining one evening. Now though, we always have a table for two, but still let the waiter know if we won't be there one evening, it makes their job easier for them.

Avril

• Like 3

On 12/8/2021 at 11:39 AM, wowzz said:

We're always quite happy to wait with a pager and have one, (or maybe two) pre-dinner drinks. I don't see a problem.

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with that statement Sharon. On our first cruise we were on a table for 8 and had to wait to order our dinner until two other couples arrived. They had decided to eat elsewhere and hadn't  had the manners to let anyone know. We always informed our waiter or maitre d' if we wouldn't be dining one evening. Now though, we always have a table for two, but still let the waiter know if we won't be there one evening, it makes their job easier for them.

Avril

So do I Avril.
It is just manners to tell the waiters or Restaurant manager if you not going down to dinner so they know not to hold up the whole table for non arrivals. At least with Freedom dining that is not an issue.

• Like 3

On 12/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, SarahHben said:

Hello

We are due to go on a cruise in February. People that we had meet on a previous cruise contacted us and I asked if they would like to be on a table with us. They replied they would and when contacting P&O were given a code. When I spoke to P&O to pay the balance I quoted this code and I now expect to be seated on a table with these people. If you parents are already on a table of a certain number of people e.g. 8 if you also quote that you wish to be on a table of 8 then you should be seated with your parents plus 4 others. I have just given this as an example. You could for instance just have a table of 4, yourselves and your parents.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

We are due to go on a cruise in February. People that we had meet on a previous cruise contacted us and I asked if they would like to be on a table with us. They replied they would and when contacting P&O were given a code. When I spoke to P&O to pay the balance I quoted this code and I now expect to be seated on a table with these people. If you parents are already on a table of a certain number of people e.g. 8 if you also quote that you wish to be on a table of 8 then you should be seated with your parents plus 4 others. I have just given this as an example. You could for instance just have a table of 4, yourselves and your parents.

Thank you. My dad has now given me the link code so I’ll be calling P&O today to link the bookings, swap to club dining and ask for a table for 4.

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you. My dad has now given me the link code so I’ll be calling P&O today to link the bookings, swap to club dining and ask for a table for 4.

Keep in mind that even if you get guaranteed Club Dining, your table size is never guaranteed, so you could end up sharing a larger table with the same other guests for the duration of your cruise and if any of them test positive you will be forced into quarantine as close contacts. Hopefully they will minimise mixing people, but in the current climate tables of 2 and 4 will be at a premium,  given that many tables are 6 or 8. The advantage of Freedom Dining is that the risk of sharing is completely removed, as long as you are prepared to wait. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Keep in mind that even if you get guaranteed Club Dining, your table size is never guaranteed, so you could end up sharing a larger table with the same other guests for the duration of your cruise and if any of them test positive you will be forced into quarantine as close contacts. Hopefully they will minimise mixing people, but in the current climate tables of 2 and 4 will be at a premium,  given that many tables are 6 or 8. The advantage of Freedom Dining is that the risk of sharing is completely removed, as long as you are prepared to wait. 

Ok, thank you. I will bear that in mind. My parents won’t swap to Freedom dining. They said we don’t have to join them in doing club dining but that would mean we could never join them for dinner (they don’t go to Select restaurants) which seems daft as we’re on the same cruise. It’s not until 2023 so hopefully the Covid situation will be much improved.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, SarahHben said:

On 12/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, SarahHben said:

Ok, thank you. I will bear that in mind. My parents won’t swap to Freedom dining. They said we don’t have to join them in doing club dining but that would mean we could never join them for dinner (they don’t go to Select restaurants) which seems daft as we’re on the same cruise. It’s not until 2023 so hopefully the Covid situation will be much improved.

A lot can change by 2023 and hopefully for the better, and in six months time we may know more. We too have booked for 2023 to use up FCC and booked a table for six as wife has a hearing disability and cannot cope with two conversations on the table. We asked about six not been guaranteed when booking at the future cruise desk the first time we booked onboard, and was told not to worry as it was tables for two and ten that could be a problem. We cannot remember a problem but there may have been a time that there was just four on the table.

We like fixed dining as its nice just to turn up and know that the table is waiting and familiar faces, also the shows did tend to be timed of accommodate the fixed dinning times. But there will be many that swear by freedom dinning, one of beauties of ocean cruising is that there are options to suit most people.

• Like 2

Although we have always gone Club Dining apart from one cruise on Oceana and that was because we booked late from what I am lead to believe and it wouldn't surprise me in the least, P&O ships Iona and Arvia may be going over to Freedom Dining and not have the Club option. Whether they continue Club on the rest of the fleet remains to be seen. Also, but again I could be totally wrong, I am sure that I read that unless you request a table seating more than two in Club you will get a table of two. How this works I have no idea as we last cruised in 2018. What with rule changes, protocols or whatever everything is up in the air at the moment. We are supposed to be on a cruise in February but if this Virus continues on it's current trajectory we may not be able to enter the US. We can only hope. 

Just an observation,  but as I know that quite a few members on here also cruise on Princess, it is worth pointing out that club dining on Princess refers to dining arrangements for those in Club class cabins.  Fixed time dining would be classified as Traditional Dining.