VOOM - Called RC and Spectrum and still confused

tbmrt

I received some information about how to use Voom to test and email...No problem.

However, I still didn't understand how to make phone calls from the ship using Voom's wifi even after reading several posts on RC Board.  Most referred to an I-Phone and I have an android.

I called Royal Caribbean directly and was told I cannot make phone calls from the ship if I have Voom unless I have Surf and Stream.  I have Surf only.

Spectrum told me I can do so, but just to put Wifi calling on and airplane mode off.

I would greatly appreciate people who use an android explaining if they do make calls using Voom and what the correct settings must be.

Thank you so much.

19 minutes ago, tbmrt said:

I received some information about how to use Voom to test and email...No problem.

However, I still didn't understand how to make phone calls from the ship using Voom's wifi even after reading several posts on RC Board.  Most referred to an I-Phone and I have an android.

I called Royal Caribbean directly and was told I cannot make phone calls from the ship if I have Voom unless I have Surf and Stream.  I have Surf only.

Spectrum told me I can do so, but just to put Wifi calling on and airplane mode off.

I would greatly appreciate people who use an android explaining if they do make calls using Voom and what the correct settings must be.

Thank you so much.

I always was able to do WiFi calling with Surf only. YMMV. 

But your settings should be WiFi calling with airplane mode on and wifi on. Not Airplane mode off! Airplane mode on to prevent accidental roaming.  That will block connecting to Cellular at Sea. You can test this on your home wi fi to amke sure your Android phone has WiFi calling enabled.

Edited by Charles4515

First, go into your settings and turn on WIFI calling. Next, put your phone in airplane mode (turn it ON). Next, turn on WIFI and connect to WIFI network. Make your phone call as you normally would. Be sure to test this at home for outgoing and incoming calls to make sure you have the proper settings. It's critical both airplane mode and WIFI turned ON.

This is how I do it on my Android phone using Verizon. I can't promise it works the same with Spectrum which is why I say test it first.

• Thanks 1

Look on www.youtube.com

type in- 

How to enable WiFi calling on my Samsung (or whatever model you have) Android phone

Lot's of results pop up, you can follow the video, this is the easiest way if you in need of visual cue's.

Good luck!

I have a Google Pixel Android

settings>type in WIFI calling into search bar>click on WIFI calling tab>click on USE WiFI calling to turn on>click on calling preference>select Call over WiFI.

Once you set up WiFI calling.

Turn on Airplane mode>Turn on WiFI >Open web browser>type in login.com (you will login into VOOM using login and password you just created) once connected to Voom network. You should now be able to make WiFI calls.

You can test this at home by doing the same steps , only connect to your home WiFi and try making a WiFI call.

Also your phone needs to have WiFI calling feature.

https://mobile.spectrum.com/support/article/360002002907/wifi-calling

Edited by alexgtp

Alex's last point is a good one - not all phones support voice over internet.  For example, Boost Mobile older phone supported it - selected network/more/wifi calling.  Replaced with newer Celero phone and it doesn't have an option for this.  Some folks suggest having the provider turn on VoLTE.  Haven't tried that yet.

If your phone doesn't support VOIP, there are also apps that will do this.  Just got an email from my home provider 1-VOIP that they have an app for cell phones to make it think that it is my home phone.  So if you can't get your phone and/or provider to allow voice over internet search for an app for your phone that will do it.

14 hours ago, LeeW said:

Alex's last point is a good one - not all phones support voice over internet.  For example, Boost Mobile older phone supported it - selected network/more/wifi calling.  Replaced with newer Celero phone and it doesn't have an option for this.  Some folks suggest having the provider turn on VoLTE.  Haven't tried that yet.

If your phone doesn't support VOIP, there are also apps that will do this.  Just got an email from my home provider 1-VOIP that they have an app for cell phones to make it think that it is my home phone.  So if you can't get your phone and/or provider to allow voice over internet search for an app for your phone that will do it.

Great idea on using an APP.

As an Android / GOOGLE user you should have an app called "DUO" it is used for AUDIO/VIDEO calling. Try that instead of jumping thru all the hoops.

Duo is free and super easy to use, because it uses phone numbers from your contact list. SUPER EASY!

23 hours ago, tbmrt said:

Thank you so much.

Surf will support wifi calling.  You want wifi calling on and airplane mode ON.

Spectrum has step by step details on what to do and has tutorials based on your phone type.  Here is a link that should help you.  

https://mobile.spectrum.com/support/article/360002002907/wifi-calling

In the past I have done wifi calls using Surf.  

I have had many different cell providers over the years.  Currently on Spectrum Mobile and find their wifi calling very fussy about the internet connection onboard.  Sometimes I look at my phone and no wifi calling even though I had a Voom Surf and Stream plan.  Only resolution was a reboot and then wifi calling would activate.  Every morning wifi calling was off.  Reboot phone and wifi calling would come back.

I never had issues like that with TMo or AT&T wifi calling & Voom when I had those providers.  

The international data roaming with Spectrum is also problematic.  Voice and text work, data usually doesn't work in any other country without a lot of fiddling.  When I call support they tell me international data is not guaranteed in any country.  Waking up in a new port of call and everyday fighting with my phone to get international data roaming got old really fast.

Not super impressed with Spectrum.  Price is okay though.  May go back to TMo because the wifi calling and international roaming just worked with TMo when cruising.  

I always just have the Surf (no stream) and I have an Android phone through ATT.  I turn on Airplane mode, connect to the ship wifi, connect my wifi calling.  I was able to call and text my husband for the entire week in November when I cruised without him.  I have used wifi calling in all the islands where I could get internet connection as well.  

I always check my bill when I get home just to make sure I have no charges just because I am OCD about things like that.