A Foodie Question!!!

Bo1953

Hello all my fellow 'Foodies/Gourmands' have any of you seen or tasted truffles aboard any X ship? 

If so, which type of truffle?  How was the presentation?  In which venue? 

Do you think X has them aboard for special occasions and/or upon request? 

bon appétit and bon voyage 

10 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Hello all my fellow 'Foodies/Gourmands' have any of you seen or tasted truffles aboard any X ship? 

There is a bit of Truffle in the Scallop appetizer in Murano but nothing fresh to my knowledge. Beyond that, it would probably only be flavored oil. The appetizer uses a small slice of black truffle but from the taste and texture, it was certainly a summer truffle packed in oil. Not really special if you know your way around the tubers.

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really doubt you'll see any type of fresh truffle. As mentioned above maybe preserved summer truffles in a dish. I remember on my last cruise just before COVID there were a couple of dishes listed as having morels. I didn't see those either. 

• Thanks 1

They use to have Truffle Fries with the Luminae Burger but last cruise I was on they were just regular fries.

Now this is ancient history but in 2014 they acquired rare white truffles and had a number of special dinners.   I believe it was just one ship and one cruise.

https://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/white-truffle-season-celebrity-cruises-debuts-special-cruises

• Thanks 2

White truffles are incredibly fragile. Very difficult to import.

I remember after going on a truffle hunt in Alba, Italy ,asking about bringing a fresh truffle back to the United States.

I was told that they were not prohibited. BUT….If you tried to bring one through customs and immigration and the officer didn’t know what it was, he would confiscate it.  And if he didn’t know what it was, he would also confiscate it.  🤪

anyway, they have a short season, and are hard to find, thus their high price.

There have been attempts to grow them, specifically in Oregon but elsewhere also, with mixed results.

I would not look to find a fresh Truffle on a Celebrity ship.  Truffle oil is even a bit of a problem, since there is a lot of fake stuff out there.  

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

How about Belgian cocoa dusted chocolate truffles. 😉 Yum, yum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I consider myself a “foodie,” but I don’t like truffles. I also don’t care for caviar, except when it’s used as a garnish. One of the best soups I’ve ever had was a cold avocado soup garnished with caviar.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting discussion so I looked up "foodie" and it has a number of connotations some negative.

Are you a "foodie" (who follows latest trends) or a "foodie" (who just loves food) or are you a "culinarian"?🥘

https://www.thekitchn.com/are-you-a-foodi-161810

I think in the 10 years since that article was written, "foodie" has lost it's pejorative connotations. 

39 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting discussion so I looked up "foodie" and it has a number of connotations some negative.

Are you a "foodie" (who follows latest trends) or a "foodie" (who just loves food) or are you a "culinarian"?🥘

https://www.thekitchn.com/are-you-a-foodi-161810

I understand how most use the word “foodie “ but it’s the one who state, “we are foodies so we really know what’s what “ 👨🏼‍🍳

• Thanks 1

Most "truffle"-anything doesn't use real truffles...I bought this seasoning on an X sailing without any issues getting it on board which is endorsed by Oprah and made with real truffles.  The several in the MDR waitstaff asked to try a pinch and enjoyed it.

image.thumb.png.dbac1cdba2b37689cb398210321b71ab.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

On the Summit in November they offered to shave black truffle in one of the pasta dish I ordered for an up charge.  I can’t remember what I ordered but I did not take up on their offer because I was so full by the time I had all the appetizers I really didn’t eat much of my entree.

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Most "truffle"-anything doesn't use real truffles...I bought this seasoning on an X sailing which is endorsed by Oprah and made from real truffle without issues.  The several in the MDR waitstaff asked to try a pinch and enjoyed it.

image.thumb.png.dbac1cdba2b37689cb398210321b71ab.png

Oh I brought the same seasoning on Amazon / woot a while back they were excellent.

1 hour ago, BennyBrun said:

On the Summit in November they offered to shave black truffle in one of the pasta dish I ordered for an up charge.  I can’t remember what I ordered but I did not take up on their offer because I was so full by the time I had all the appetizers I really didn’t eat much of my entree.

Curious as to which venue. Tuscan Grille?