Proof of vaccination

ak1004

Sorry if it was discussed somewhere else, but as Canada doesn't actually have a Federal vaccine passport, I assume the email we got from Ontario Ministry of Health after vaccination is considered proof of vaccination?

image.thumb.png.4ee6888e9a1628a91c7e710c8fe8c806.png

Edited by ak1004

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sorry if it was discussed somewhere else, but as Canada doesn't actually have a Federal vaccine passport, I assume the email we got from Ontario Ministry of Health after vaccination is considered proof of vaccination?

Ontario does have a vaccine certificate that you can download. https://covid-19.ontario.ca/get-proof/

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

image.thumb.png.4ee6888e9a1628a91c7e710c8fe8c806.png

That one you posted was not sufficient for Celebrity for our friends from Ontario as it doesn't show the information relating to the first dose.  They then downloaded the one that @Fouremco noted above and that was sufficient.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

And this is what it looks like, in my case with the booster shot included:

vaxproofdemo.thumb.jpg.9a54ef65962eb5b92d5715785b3266f3.jpg

Wow....all three of our shots are within days of each other, odd coincidence.  I get my booster tomorrow and I wasn't sure if it would show on the vax record.  Nice!  

• Haha 1

Just wondering … we have our third shots booked for Jan 4.  Is this a booster dose or a full dose?   We’ve had double Pfizer.  Assume we’ll be offered either Pfizer or Moderna.  Any reason to choose one over the other?   

yes I do realize this is a cruise board … lol.  Just thought I’d ask since I was reading this    

Edited by Josie201

18 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Just wondering … we have our third shots booked for Jan 4.  Is this a booster dose or a full dose?   We’ve had double Pfizer.  Assume we’ll be offered either Pfizer or Moderna.  Any reason to choose one over the other?   

yes I do realize this is a cruise board … lol.  Just thought I’d ask since I was reading this    

Pfizer's full dose booster is the same size as its first two shots, with 30 micrograms of mRNA. Moderna's booster is only half the size of its first two shots, but at 50 micrograms, is larger than the Pfizer booster. Some locations in the Ottawa area only offer one or the other, depending on availability, but last weekend the Nepean Sportsplex offered a choice.

• Like 1

@Josie201, to continue my response, the current literature seem to suggest that the two are very close in terms of the protection they afford, with Moderna perhaps providing a slightly higher level of protection. On the other hand, there have been indications that after two doses of one, switching to the other for the booster may be beneficial. And because it's so new, there is little information about Omicron and the boosters, although Pfizer said on Wednesday that a booster dose of its COVID-19 vaccine may offer important protection against the new omicron variant even though the initial two doses appear significantly less effective.

With additional information being reported on a daily basis, particularly with respect to Omicron, my recommendation would be keep track of developments and hold off making a decision until the last minute. FWIW, DW and I went with a Pfizer booster after 2 Moderna shots.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

@Josie201, to continue my response, the current literature seem to suggest that the two are very close in terms of the protection they afford, with Moderna perhaps providing a slightly higher level of protection. On the other hand, there have been indications that after two doses of one, switching to the other for the booster may be beneficial. And because it's so new, there is little information about Omicron and the boosters, although Pfizer said on Wednesday that a booster dose of its COVID-19 vaccine may offer important protection against the new omicron variant even though the initial two doses appear significantly less effective.

With additional information being reported on a daily basis, particularly with respect to Omicron, my recommendation would be keep track of developments and hold off making a decision until the last minute. FWIW, DW and I went with a Pfizer booster after 2 Moderna shots.

Thanks.  You are always a voice of reason and good intel.  I’m following reports but the constant new info can be tough to keep up with.  By the time we go in early January who knows!   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

That one you posted was not sufficient for Celebrity for our friends from Ontario as it doesn't show the information relating to the first dose.  They then downloaded the one that @Fouremco noted above and that was sufficient.

A rather interesting/annoying/funny experience regarding providing proof of vax at Cape Liberty port last week. 

We uploaded our passport version (like the one @Fouremco posted) on the Royal app ahead of the cruise, which was approved by Royal a week or so in advance. Naturally this was the main document we brought with us to show at port, but brought the original proof slips (as @ak1004 originally posted) just in case. 

It's cruise day, we are excited and we get to the check in desk after passing security and metal detectors. The port check in agent went through all of the normal check in items with us, and then it came time to show our proof of vaccination. The agent asks for our vaccination 'card' (aka American proof) and so we show our vaccine passport print out. She looks at it and was all like 'What is this?'. I explain that this is our Canadian proof of vaccination, and if you look at the bottom it shows the dates and vaccine types received. She then was like 'no, no, I need your card'. Once again I explain that this is our version of our card. She then explains if we received a card after we were vaccinated, and I explained yes and then showed our original vax slips. She said 'this is the proper proof I need'. I then showed how the slips contain the EXACT same information as show on the passport paper. She just said 'let me take this to my supervisor', and then brought both the passport and slips to her supervisor. After a few moments deliberation she comes back and says, 'I accept the slips for the ship, what you use as a passport is good for home' and then said to her neighbour agent - Canadians you need to see the original slips not this paper thing as though she was the authority of period of vaccinations.

I was HIGHLY annoyed and frustrated at this point with the lack of education and insistence of only 'accepting' the slips because it's what most resembled the cards (aka the American way) and thought to myself that I'd expect this in FL but not in NJ/NY being so close to Canada and such. BUT, this frustration quickly dissipated as she then gave us our bracelets and cleared us to board. And then, before you knew it we were making our way towards the ship and was onboard just a few moments later - and let me tell you there is no more exciting feeling in the world then crossing that gangway and taking your first steps onboard the ship!

In hindsight I realized after that this really wasn't worth me making a big deal about, and was glad that we at least brought our slips as back-up. All this to say - it doesn't hurt to bring both proofs with you, just in case you face a slightly ignorant Port check in agent like we did ! 

• Like 1

Based on what happened I will print out both versions, and maybe add in the one with the QR code 🙂

At the beginning of the cruising restart I know many people, probably many on this forum, mentioned how much of a disaster it would be checking vaccine proof when every state and province, and now add in other countries, recorded their vaccine proof.

Sorry that happened to you but I'm glad you were prepared.

I didn't receive any printed slip when I got my first shot. Just an email that came later in the day. That form only had the Ontario logo at the top while the ones you print now have both Canada and Ontario.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DMParisHoneymoon said:

A rather interesting/annoying/funny experience regarding providing proof of vax at Cape Liberty port last week. 

We uploaded our passport version (like the one @Fouremco posted) on the Royal app ahead of the cruise, which was approved by Royal a week or so in advance. Naturally this was the main document we brought with us to show at port, but brought the original proof slips (as @ak1004 originally posted) just in case. 

It's cruise day, we are excited and we get to the check in desk after passing security and metal detectors. The port check in agent went through all of the normal check in items with us, and then it came time to show our proof of vaccination. The agent asks for our vaccination 'card' (aka American proof) and so we show our vaccine passport print out. She looks at it and was all like 'What is this?'. I explain that this is our Canadian proof of vaccination, and if you look at the bottom it shows the dates and vaccine types received. She then was like 'no, no, I need your card'. Once again I explain that this is our version of our card. She then explains if we received a card after we were vaccinated, and I explained yes and then showed our original vax slips. She said 'this is the proper proof I need'. I then showed how the slips contain the EXACT same information as show on the passport paper. She just said 'let me take this to my supervisor', and then brought both the passport and slips to her supervisor. After a few moments deliberation she comes back and says, 'I accept the slips for the ship, what you use as a passport is good for home' and then said to her neighbour agent - Canadians you need to see the original slips not this paper thing as though she was the authority of period of vaccinations.

I was HIGHLY annoyed and frustrated at this point with the lack of education and insistence of only 'accepting' the slips because it's what most resembled the cards (aka the American way) and thought to myself that I'd expect this in FL but not in NJ/NY being so close to Canada and such. BUT, this frustration quickly dissipated as she then gave us our bracelets and cleared us to board. And then, before you knew it we were making our way towards the ship and was onboard just a few moments later - and let me tell you there is no more exciting feeling in the world then crossing that gangway and taking your first steps onboard the ship!

In hindsight I realized after that this really wasn't worth me making a big deal about, and was glad that we at least brought our slips as back-up. All this to say - it doesn't hurt to bring both proofs with you, just in case you face a slightly ignorant Port check in agent like we did ! 

What a dog's breakfast! 

In our case, we weren't given any printed receipt for our first shot, but were emailed a pdf. For our second shot, we were given the cash register type receipt and were also emailed a pdf version. These both indicated that we had received two vaccinations, but provided no information on the first shot and wouldn't be of much use. But I could take printed versions of the shot 1 and shot 2 pdfs along for a cruise.

Then the province replaced the online pdfs with a new version that included the Ministry of Health watermark. Still separate reports for each shot. I guess I could take these along and hope they'd be accepted.

Next came the current format, with both shots reflected and a QR code added. Then ours were updated to include our booster shots. This seemed to be the most logical choice to bring... until reading your post.

Fortunately, while you can only download the current version, I've saved copies of each and I now have 6 different pdf receipts, plus one cash register printed receipt. DW also 6+1. Our plan is to take only the very latest document, unless we cruise out of Cape Liberty. In that case, I'll print them all,  and lug along a document box for the terminal staff to sift through to their hearts' content!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

What a dog's breakfast! 

In our case, we weren't given any printed receipt for our first shot, but were emailed a pdf. For our second shot, we were given the cash register type receipt and were also emailed a pdf version. These both indicated that we had received two vaccinations, but provided no information on the first shot and wouldn't be of much use. But I could take printed versions of the shot 1 and shot 2 pdfs along for a cruise.

Then the province replaced the online pdfs with a new version that included the Ministry of Health watermark. Still separate reports for each shot. I guess I could take these along and hope they'd be accepted.

Next came the current format, with both shots reflected and a QR code added. Then ours were updated to include our booster shots. This seemed to be the most logical choice to bring... until reading your post.

Fortunately, while you can only download the current version, I've saved copies of each and I now have 6 different pdf receipts, plus one cash register printed receipt. DW also 6+1. Our plan is to take only the very latest document, unless we cruise out of Cape Liberty. In that case, I'll print them all,  and lug along a document box for the terminal staff to sift through to their hearts' content!

The real solution is for Royal Caribbean to properly train its staff. How hard would it be to teach staff how to use the SmartHealth verifier? How hard would it be for it to produce a booklet containing samples of acceptable documentation?

Just another reason to hold off on cruising in the near future.

1 minute ago, broberts said:

The real solution is for Royal Caribbean to properly train its staff. How hard would it be to teach staff how to use the SmartHealth verifier? How hard would it be for it to produce a booklet containing samples of acceptable documentation?

I think you'll find that they are employees of one of the companies that provide terminal services, not employees of any one cruise line. Either way, your point is well taken, and more or better training would be a definite benefit.

In the mean time, passengers just have to be prepared for the unexpected. CC is a great source of information, and I feel rather sorry for those people heading off on a cruise who haven't had the benefit of the wealth of information on this website.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, broberts said:

It might be worth cross-posting this nightmare experience over on the RCCL sub-forum, and even on some other cruise line forums here on CC, to see if other fellow Canadians have had to endure this idiocy, and to gauge just how much of a problem this is. I do know that for Princess, at PE a few weeks ago, there was exactly zero problems with our two Canadian/Quebec vaccine passport docs (the Quebec version of the one posted above). The CSR checking us in read them over, even pronounced some of the French correctly, and handed them back.  I guess I'll be following this thread closely in the coming weeks, as we currently have our first RCCL trip booked out of Cape Liberty in May.  Hopefully by then , there will have been more than enough of us through there that they will properly recognize our documents.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

I cant believe this happened. We'll print our original slips out as well just in case but this is stupid.

I wish someone would tell her that she's wrong about this.

I don't think you can print those out anymore?  I think on the website you can no only access the 'new' qr code version - if I am wrong please let me know!

3 minutes ago, Froufie said:

I don't think you can print those out anymore?  I think on the website you can no only access the 'new' qr code version - if I am wrong please let me know!

You're correct. I just archived all the versions of our certificates. Also check your email I remember in my case the original receipt got sent to me in email which I still have 

3 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

You're correct. I just archived all the versions of our certificates. Also check your email I remember in my case the original receipt got sent to me in email which I still have 

Dont have the separate receipts printed as we never needed them - the only thing that was mailed to us was that big Ontario Ministry of Health document which did not provide all the information they are looking for....so we board with our Ontario QR code document as that is all we have.....

From the Ontario website:

Your proof of vaccination is your vaccine receipt or enhanced vaccine certificate with a QR code, sometimes called a vaccine passport or vaccine record.

You can download an enhanced vaccine certificate with a QR code. We encourage you to download and use your QR code as soon as you can.

The existing vaccine receipts will continue to serve as valid proof of vaccination even when the enhanced QR code version comes into effect.

Edited by Froufie

6 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Dont have the separate receipts printed as we never needed them - the only thing that was mailed to us was that big Ontario Ministry of Health document which did not provide all the information they are looking for....so we board with our Ontario QR code document as that is all we have.....

That's more than enough as that is official documentation and proof that meets a country wide standard. 

You may have to escalate but I'm sure you'll get on

• Like 1