No Vines Wine Bar on Enchanted (& Discovery)

guy44134

9 minutes ago, janniebabe said:

We were disappointed to learn this, because Vines has been a favorite to sit and enjoy a glass of wine prior to dinner - waiting to hear what people say!

Follow the money perhaps.  Vines was by my observations, pretty deserted all day long with some evening usage.  Perhaps Princess thinks Salty Dog will generate more revenue and buzz in the Piazza.  Vinophiles will still find their fix.  I like wine a lot but did not visit Vines much. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, janniebabe said:

We were disappointed to learn this, because Vines has been a favorite to sit and enjoy a glass of wine prior to dinner - waiting to hear what people say!

Agreed.  Heading to the Sky in a week and will be enjoying those "flights"

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Follow the money perhaps.  Vines was by my observations, pretty deserted all day long with some evening usage.  Perhaps Princess thinks Salty Dog will generate more revenue and buzz in the Piazza.  Vinophiles will still find their fix.  I like wine a lot but did not visit Vines much. 

Perhaps and perhaps not.  We are on the Enchanted and have noticed that the Salty Dawg is usually near empty.  Why?  Consider that the $18 per person cover charge gets you a nice burger, grilled cheese, or perhaps Fish and Chips.  IMHO, Princess has over priced the venue.  Count us among those who miss Vines.  Although other bars have wine by the glass there is no place to get the quality wines we used to find at Vines.

Hank

• Like 6

I did notice that the deck plans on the newer ships did not include a Vines.  

This is disappointing to Mrs. XBGuy and me.  We have been regulars at Vines on all our cruises.  In fact, we tend to make dinner out of Tapas & Sushi at Vines every two or three days on every cruise.  

That being said, we will struggle along without it whenever we try one of the newer ships.  I do not see us ever visiting the Salty Dog gastropub.  We tried that once five or six years ago when they opened up the Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse Bar in the evenings, and we are one and done with that.  However, we can always grab something at the IC and, if worse comes to worse, enjoy it in our cabin with our own wine.  😁

I will be interested to read if somebody can report on an alternate venue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps and perhaps not.  We are on the Enchanted and have noticed that the Salty Dawg is usually near empty.  Why?  Consider that the $18 per person cover charge gets you a nice burger, grilled cheese, or perhaps Fish and Chips.  IMHO, Princess has over priced the venue.  Count us among those who miss Vines.  Although other bars have wine by the glass there is no place to get the quality wines we used to find at Vines.

Hank

I have to agree that $18 for a fancy burger is too much when I am expecting a surcharge and not paying for a full meal.  (For example, I consider CG and Sabi's up-charges since we'd never get those meals out for $29/$25.  We have yet to be on a ship with this dedicated space for the Dog.  Vines is not a small space for sure.  Well it is sad.  

They still have the same wines.  Must be hiding somewhere.  Sometimes it's just nice to look at the bottles.  I thought Vines was a good idea, but if the Dog isn't a money-maker, what's next?

Have not visited actual S Dog on any ship (been on one where it's in Wheelhouse), but did have a specialty burger once or twice off the DR menu (and I don't think they are doing that anymore). 

ETA - Looks like the cover is $12 - more reasonable.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

I thought the Gastropub charge was $12. Has it been increased?

Your post just made me look.  On Princess.com, under Specialty Dining, I downloaded the PDF menu and it indicates $12 cover.  I suppose that isn't too bad considering you get two plates plus a dessert.   ETA - plus the App.

I just don't eat that much at lunch.  I recall ordering the Ernesto in a MDR for dinner one night (pre-Covid of course).

Edited by Steelers36

45 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I did notice that the deck plans on the newer ships did not include a Vines.  

This is disappointing to Mrs. XBGuy and me.  We have been regulars at Vines on all our cruises.  In fact, we tend to make dinner out of Tapas & Sushi at Vines every two or three days on every cruise.  

That being said, we will struggle along without it whenever we try one of the newer ships.  I do not see us ever visiting the Salty Dog gastropub.  We tried that once five or six years ago when they opened up the Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse Bar in the evenings, and we are one and done with that.  However, we can always grab something at the IC and, if worse comes to worse, enjoy it in our cabin with our own wine.  😁

I will be interested to read if somebody can report on an alternate venue.

I suppose if I was ever on the PLUS, I might be inclined to taste my way through the entire wine list (at least the ones offered BTG).  Don't drink too much and usually BYOB as well.  

I thought Vines was one of the most popular venues on Princess - at least that's the way it has looked to me. Yes, there are down times, but for the most part Crooners and the Vines anecdotally have been the most popular bars onboard observed during our trips. Even more curious is Jan Schwartz's (Group President of the Only Cruise Lines Carnival Owns Worth Going On), comment that The Vines was her most favorite venue on Princess! (on one of the ill-fated You Tube shows during the early days of the pandemic). Need more? In 2019 Princess received the prestigious Wine Spectator Award for their attention and selection of their wine program. It's really gone downhill since then.

We're wine fans and enjoy - in moderation😉 - good wines, and found the selections at The Vines quite pleasing over all. We also enjoyed the bar staff - usually fairly knowledgeable folks who lent themselves nicely to joie de vivre normally found there. 

Most of all though, The Vines softened the poor wine service in the MDRs - a paper-thin selection of by-the-glass offerings served in a most inappropriate manner ("is that a red?") and vessel (looks like a juice glass). Many folks besides us were observed schlepping their Riedel's, borrowed from the Vines bar, full of  wine from The Vines into the DRs. (Fun fact: Celebrity still has Wine Stewards and serves ALL of their wines in Riedel glasses everywhere on the ship). I should add that "borrowing" the glasses from Vines usually meant promising to bring them back - and having a friend behind the bar. How gauche! I'm mean if Princess can't afford to stock their ships with appropriate wine glasses than maybe they shouldn't sell Chateau Latour, but I digress. I know, I know - a Riedel glass is included with the Latour, albeit being a white wine glass!

Replacing the space with the Salty Dog thing is just salt on the wound, imo. Oh well, first world problems after all!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

They still have the same wines.  Must be hiding somewhere.  Sometimes it's just nice to look at the bottles.  I thought Vines was a good idea, but if the Dog isn't a money-maker, what's next?

for me it's the ambience. Enjoying a nice bottle of wine in a setting that is relaxing. I get aroused  😏while sipping wine from elegant stemware surrounded by fine vintages, dark wood, plush chairs and a beautiful wife ...

IMG_6070.thumb.JPG.5b41deb0b67bab764bb6302e78832c76.JPG

• Like 5

My observations, Vines busy from 4pm onwards as is Crooners. Crooners omitted from Sky, quickly replaced on next build. Clearly these two locations have to be better revenue drivers than the Gastropub. Busiest bars during daytime are the open decks, weather permitting.

Princess probably should advertise Vines @ _____, on the Enchanted & Discovery.

36 minutes ago, c-boy said:

36 minutes ago, c-boy said:

for me it's the ambience. Enjoying a nice bottle of wine in a setting that is relaxing. I get aroused  😏while sipping wine from elegant stemware surrounded by fine vintages, dark wood, plush chairs and a beautiful wife ...

I can relate.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

We will sorely miss Vines if we ever sail on those ships. Like you, we sometimes have Tapas & Sushi with wine and call it dinner.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

We will sorely miss Vines if we ever sail on those ships. Like you, we sometimes have Tapas & Sushi with wine and call it dinner.

IDK what I was thinking to suggest a food spot could be a better money generator than a wine bar.  I sentence myself to open a bottle and have a good pour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, loge23 said:

I thought Vines was one of the most popular venues on Princess - at least that's the way it has looked to me. Yes, there are down times, but for the most part Crooners and the Vines anecdotally have been the most popular bars onboard observed during our trips. Even more curious is Jan Schwartz's (Group President of the Only Cruise Lines Carnival Owns Worth Going On), comment that The Vines was her most favorite venue on Princess! (on one of the ill-fated You Tube shows during the early days of the pandemic). Need more? In 2019 Princess received the prestigious Wine Spectator Award for their attention and selection of their wine program. It's really gone downhill since then.

We're wine fans and enjoy - in moderation😉 - good wines, and found the selections at The Vines quite pleasing over all. We also enjoyed the bar staff - usually fairly knowledgeable folks who lent themselves nicely to joie de vivre normally found there. 

Most of all though, The Vines softened the poor wine service in the MDRs - a paper-thin selection of by-the-glass offerings served in a most inappropriate manner ("is that a red?") and vessel (looks like a juice glass). Many folks besides us were observed schlepping their Riedel's, borrowed from the Vines bar, full of  wine from The Vines into the DRs. (Fun fact: Celebrity still has Wine Stewards and serves ALL of their wines in Riedel glasses everywhere on the ship). I should add that "borrowing" the glasses from Vines usually meant promising to bring them back - and having a friend behind the bar. How gauche! I'm mean if Princess can't afford to stock their ships with appropriate wine glasses than maybe they shouldn't sell Chateau Latour, but I digress. I know, I know - a Riedel glass is included with the Latour, albeit being a white wine glass!

Replacing the space with the Salty Dog thing is just salt on the wound, imo. Oh well, first world problems after all!

Well said!

• Like 1

We are long time cruisers on Princess and have always cruised with close friends.  The  four of us book the longer cruises (20 to 30 days) and our favorite time of day is going around 5 PM to the Vines and ordering a bottle of wine.  We usually end up befriending the wine steward and our husbands always end up doing the special tastings at the vines.

We love the ships where there are setups for 4 by the window and we can relax and grab a sushi or tapas with our wine.  To say this will be sorely missed is just incredible.

I have several times written Princess that around 4 PM they need signs out stating that the Vines tables are reserved for those ordering wine.  Too many times people get coffee and sit in the Vines on their laptops.  You could actually see it affect business as no one wants to wait.  Also, in the early evenings the atrium puts on some music or short shows - and people sit in the vines to watch.  So if this was a financial business decision based on poor sales they have themselves to blame.  

As an elite passenger - between the perks that have disappeared for us, and now the vines - we are definitely considering a NON carnival owned ship for future sailings.  Celebrity sound good about now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Different strokes....we used Vines pretty regularly on sea days and then sometimes before dinner and the occassional wine/champagne tasting.  I will miss it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I have to completely disagree. Every cruise we are on Vines is so busy from early afternoon until just past dinner time you can't find a place to sit. We love Vines and visit every night predinner. I am very unhappy there is no Vines on the newest ships. I would love to know where Princess will encourage fine wines in Riedel glasses.I have no desire to sit in a beer pub/hamburger joint every night before dinner.

Edited by lljost
  • Like 1