No Vines Wine Bar on Enchanted (& Discovery)

guy44134

12 minutes ago, lljost said:

I have to completely disagree. Every cruise we are on Vines is so busy from early afternoon until just past dinner time you can't find a place to sit. We love Vines and visit every night predinner. I am very unhappy there is no Vines on the newest ships. I would love to know where Princess will encourage fine wines in Riedel glasses.  I have no desire to sit in a beer pub/hamburger joint every night before dinner.

As I re-posted - IDK what I was thinking.  Most venues are quiet during the day anyway.  And I certainly liked to have the Riedel glass(es) available at my table in the DR.  Yes, I have been able to have a proper glass available for me.  I usually do BYOB for wine.  

Maybe they should have a burger place at noon and then switch over to wine at night.  I am not advocating for a burger place mind you.  If I was with Princess, I might try and figure out a way to have more mid-day usage of a space as well as evening usage.  

We tend to eat early and catch early shows, so my observations of Vines - thinking back - have been during the day or later in evening.  I like wine - a lot.  Mea culpa.  

1 hour ago, lljost said:

I have to completely disagree. Every cruise we are on Vines is so busy from early afternoon until just past dinner time you can't find a place to sit. We love Vines and visit every night predinner. I am very unhappy there is no Vines on the newest ships. I would love to know where Princess will encourage fine wines in Riedel glasses.I have no desire to sit in a beer pub/hamburger joint every night before dinner.

Agree...will miss the beautiful glasses, the tapas/sushi and the nicer wines.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

As I re-posted - IDK what I was thinking.  Most venues are quiet during the day anyway.  And I certainly liked to have the Riedel glass(es) available at my table in the DR.  Yes, I have been able to have a proper glass available for me.  I usually do BYOB for wine.  

Maybe they should have a burger place at noon and then switch over to wine at night.  I am not advocating for a burger place mind you.  If I was with Princess, I might try and figure out a way to have more mid-day usage of a space as well as evening usage.  

We tend to eat early and catch early shows, so my observations of Vines - thinking back - have been during the day or later in evening.  I like wine - a lot.  Mea culpa.  

LOL!  
I like your idea of turning the "burger place" into a Vines....better yet, they should eliminate the burgers (at least in that location) and just turn it into a full time Vines.  We like wine a lot...and usually bring on some of our favorites but this time we have the drink package so we may limit the wine we bring on.  I am wondering if they will still do the Dinner Wine Packages in the MDR?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lljost said:

I would love to know where Princess will encourage fine wines in Riedel glasses.I have no desire to sit in a beer pub/hamburger joint every night before dinner.

The Crown Grill Bar will meet your needs.  All wines are available and just ask for the proper stemware.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, suzyed said:

LOL!  
I like your idea of turning the "burger place" into a Vines....better yet, they should eliminate the burgers (at least in that location) and just turn it into a full time Vines.  We like wine a lot...and usually bring on some of our favorites but this time we have the drink package so we may limit the wine we bring on.  I am wondering if they will still do the Dinner Wine Packages in the MDR?

It would be wonderful of you to tell me what some of your favorite are, and vintages. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, c-boy said:

It would be wonderful of you to tell me what some of your favorite are, and vintages. 

I'll give you a couple.  Our last cruise, 15-day Los Angeles-Hawaii R/T, was in January 2020 on the Grand Princess.  I don't think we made it to Vines on embarkation day, but we became regulars by Day 2.  One evening I walked around the room inspecting the bottles that were on display.  I was a bit surprised to see some bottles that were not on the Vines list:

• 2014 Seghesio Sonoma County Old Vine Zinfandel,  This wine was probably released from the winery in 2016.  So, presumably, it had been in the Princess inventory for some time, and, as the number of available bottles on the Grand Princess diminished, it was deleted from the various wine lists on the ship.

• 2016 Chappellet Napa Valley Merlot.  2016 was an absolutely outstanding vintage year for Napa Valley, and, so, I was jazzed to see this wine.  AIso, there were three bottles on display.

Both Seghesio and Chappellet are highly-regarded California makers. 

I asked the Vines server, if I could order wines that were on display even though they did not appear on their wine list.  The answer was, "Yes," and I immediately orderd a bottle of the Chappellet.  Over the course of the cruise, I drank all three of the Chappellets.  I also bought the one bottle of Seghesio and ended up brining it home.  I see from my CellarTracker records, that it did not last very long in my home inventory.  I drank it in February 2020.

The point of my story, is that if you do visit Vines, walk around the room and inspect the wines that are displayed on the shelves.  Then, if you see something that appeals to you, then you can go ahead and order it even if it is not on their price list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, loge23 said:

Fun fact: Celebrity still has Wine Stewards and serves ALL of their wines in Riedel glasses everywhere on the ship

Celebrity has also eliminated their wine bar - Cellar Masters from the new builds (Edge Class).  They are also being converted during refurbs of older ships - in one case to a Gastro Pub.

Edited by CruiserRob
Clarity

On 12/11/2021 at 3:03 PM, Hlitner said:
On 12/11/2021 at 2:08 PM, skynight said:

I thought the Gastropub charge was $12. Has it been increased?

Clearly listed onboard as $18!

Hank

Looking forward to being on the Enchanted Dec 30!  I forgot Gastro Pub is a specialty venue - I thought it was like an Alfredo’s - 

Oh well - is that $18 charge per person?

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I'll give you a couple.  Our last cruise, 15-day Los Angeles-Hawaii R/T, was in January 2020 on the Grand Princess.  I don't think we made it to Vines on embarkation day, but we became regulars by Day 2.  One evening I walked around the room inspecting the bottles that were on display.  I was a bit surprised to see some bottles that were not on the Vines list:

• 2014 Seghesio Sonoma County Old Vine Zinfandel,  This wine was probably released from the winery in 2016.  So, presumably, it had been in the Princess inventory for some time, and, as the number of available bottles on the Grand Princess diminished, it was deleted from the various wine lists on the ship.

• 2016 Chappellet Napa Valley Merlot.  2016 was an absolutely outstanding vintage year for Napa Valley, and, so, I was jazzed to see this wine.  AIso, there were three bottles on display.

Both Seghesio and Chappellet are highly-regarded California makers. 

I asked the Vines server, if I could order wines that were on display even though they did not appear on their wine list.  The answer was, "Yes," and I immediately orderd a bottle of the Chappellet.  Over the course of the cruise, I drank all three of the Chappellets.  I also bought the one bottle of Seghesio and ended up brining it home.  I see from my CellarTracker records, that it did not last very long in my home inventory.  I drank it in February 2020.

The point of my story, is that if you do visit Vines, walk around the room and inspect the wines that are displayed on the shelves.  Then, if you see something that appeals to you, then you can go ahead and order it even if it is not on their price list.

Did they charge you what would have been the original price for the older inventory?  Perhaps hard to know unless save old wine lists.  I do have one or two.

7 hours ago, c-boy said:

We love Caymus Cab and one of our favorites was the Caymus 40th Anniversary...it was absolutely delish!  We like Jordan, Silver Oak, Simi Alexander Valley to name a few. Opus One was also a favorite but so pricey now we wouldn't buy it but our kids gave us a bottle and it was indeed wonderful! We enjoy Veuve Clicquot brut, Dom and other Champagnes.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, memoak said:

The Salty Dog Pub is not just a burger place. I have eaten there many times and have never ordered a burger.  Lots of great choices and you get 2 choices plus dessert for at least what used to be $12

It is difficult to justify spending $36 per couple although we do think the menu does have a decent selection of pub offerings.  Yesterday I had an excellent heated Cubano Sandwich and a nice dessert but since I got it at the IC it was included (free).  The IC was

very busy (sea day)!while not a single patron was eating in the Salty Dawg pub. Hard to justify spending $36 per couple

at the Gastopub.  While we

do like grilled cheese, lobster mac and cheese, and a decent poutine, it does

not seem like a good value given the other included options on this ship.

Hank

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It is difficult to justify spending $36 per couple although we do think the menu does have a decent selection of pub offerings.  Yesterday I had an excellent heated Cubano Sandwich and a nice dessert but since I got it at the IC it was included (free).  The IC was

very busy (sea day)!while not a single patron was eating in the Salty Dawg pub. Hard to justify spending $36 per couple

at the Gastopub.  While we

do like grilled cheese, lobster mac and cheese, and a decent poutine, it does

not seem like a good value given the other included options on this ship.

Hank

Agree.  The one time we ate at Salty Dawg they had it set up in the Schooner bar.  6 of us and no one was thrilled with the meal.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suzyed said:

We love Caymus Cab and one of our favorites was the Caymus 40th Anniversary...it was absolutely delish!  We like Jordan, Silver Oak, Simi Alexander Valley to name a few. Opus One was also a favorite but so pricey now we wouldn't buy it but our kids gave us a bottle and it was indeed wonderful! We enjoy Veuve Clicquot brut, Dom and other Champagnes.

you sir are man with good taste. I enjoyed your response thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Agree.  The one time we ate at Salty Dawg they had it set up in the Schooner bar.  6 of us and no one was thrilled with the meal.  

How the he11 are ya suppose to eat this,  ya need a chain saw and coveralls .

The Salty Dog Gastropub - Princess Cruises

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

you sir are man with good taste. I enjoyed your response thank you.

I'd like to promote some of our fine wines from BC and Niagara.  Now, I do know BC has some very nice reds, but I do like the work done by Thirty Bench here in Ontario.  You will never see it though unless you happen to be sitting near me on a voyage and I have brought some from home (which I can only do if we are checking a bag).  Sads as it is nice to have some on hand.  It seems hard to believe that 20 years on, TSA and other similar organizations do not have smart enough scanners that can detect water and wine and soda versus other nefarious substances.  Meanwhile, I can do fine with Total Wine. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

Celebrity has also eliminated their wine bar - Cellar Masters from the new builds (Edge Class).  They are also being converted during refurbs of older ships - in one case to a Gastro Pub.

That su#$s! We enjoyed Cellar Masters 😞

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Did they charge you what would have been the original price for the older inventory?  Perhaps hard to know unless save old wine lists.  I do have one or two.

I really don't know.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I'd like to promote some of our fine wines from BC and Niagara.  Now, I do know BC has some very nice reds, but I do like the work done by Thirty Bench here in Ontario.  You will never see it though unless you happen to be sitting near me on a voyage and I have brought some from home (which I can only do if we are checking a bag).  Sads as it is nice to have some on hand.  It seems hard to believe that 20 years on, TSA and other similar organizations do not have smart enough scanners that can detect water and wine and soda versus other nefarious substances.  Meanwhile, I can do fine with Total Wine. 

I will, certainly, vouch for BC wines.  On a port stop to Vancouver a few years ago, we walked to an oyster bar and enjoyed a terrific BC Sauvignon Blanc with our lunch.  On another cruise we met up with an on-line acquaintance in Victoria.  He picked an Burrowing Owl Syrah which I enjoyed very much.  I truly wish I could find BC wines on the shelves of local retail stores, but I suspect those greedy British Columbians have conspired to keep it all for themselves.  😉

I have no experience with Ontario wines.  It is with a bit of embarrassment that I confess that it is through my own fault.  I have seen Ontario Ice Wines on store shelves, but, while I do enjoy dessert wines, a little goes a long way,  I should just buy a half-bottle and have it on hand.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I really don't know.

I will, certainly, vouch for BC wines.  On a port stop to Vancouver a few years ago, we walked to an oyster bar and enjoyed a terrific BC Sauvignon Blanc with our lunch.  On another cruise we met up with an on-line acquaintance in Victoria.  He picked an Burrowing Owl Syrah which I enjoyed very much.  I truly wish I could find BC wines on the shelves of local retail stores, but I suspect those greedy British Columbians have conspired to keep it all for themselves.  😉

I have no experience with Ontario wines.  It is with a bit of embarrassment that I confess that it is through my own fault.  I have seen Ontario Ice Wines on store shelves, but, while I do enjoy dessert wines, a little goes a long way,  I should just buy a half-bottle and have it on hand.

BO wines is one BC producer we do get some of here in ON.  If you can believe it, we have inter-provincial trade barriers (despite language in constitution that says otherwise).  As a result, limited wines are generally available between ON and BC.  That said, there are other ways to get some, but not via normal retail channels here which are 100% government monopoly in ON.  

As for exports, pretty much all exports out of ON are limited to our icewine products.  Even they are scarce in USA I think.  I do not see it as anyone's fault to not have been exposed to ON wines as virtually no product crosses the border AFAIK.  I have checked a major retailer like Total Wine.

• Like 2