“Taj X” Indian pop up dinner — exceptional!

Turtles06

Sounds great!  However my DH is a meat and potato guy.  Can you also order steak and a baked potato?  He will not eat lamb or what he considers unusual food.  I enjoy Indian food.  Also, if we have the unlimited dining package, is it included?

Edited by Cruise a holic

7 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

I just noticed this on the app for my February 25 sailing. Very interested. I’m traveling solo and with COVID especially would prefer dining alone. Is that still possible with this? I notice the menu says it’s served family style. 

By "family style," they mean you aren't served an individual dish.  All of the foods are brought out in serving dishes, and you and your dinner companion(s) serve yourself what you want.  It doesn't mean you are eating at a large table with strangers.  On the Silhouette in December, the venue used for this dinner was Sushi on Five, and my wife and I were seated at our own table.  The other diners had their own tables as well.  I think you should be fine, but feel free to inquire on board if you have a concern.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Sounds great!  However my DH is a meat and potato guy.  Can you also order steak and a baked potato?  He will not eat lamb or what he considers unusual food.  I enjoy Indian food.  Also, if we have the unlimited dining package, is it included?

This is a special dinner with its own menu; it's not in the MDR and attendance is limited.  On the Silhouette, the dinner took over Sushi on Five for that evening.  I expect your DH would be out of luck.  I can't answer about the "unlimited dining package," but this was not a specialty venue -- it was a special meal that we paid for separately.  

26 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have the opposite problem.

We both LOVE Indian food but my husband is a vegan and I'm vegetarian.

The food sounds delicious but there are too many things on the menu that we couldn't eat to make it worthwhile for us. 😢

7 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

I just noticed this on the app for my February 25 sailing. Very interested. I’m traveling solo and with COVID especially would prefer dining alone. Is that still possible with this? I notice the menu says it’s served family style. 

Where on the app did you see this? We would love it if it was on our May sailing. 

I saw it on our App for March sometime in January.  Go to dining on the app, select the Sushi restaurant and Menu, Dinner.  Scroll over each day and if the Indian dinner is scheduled you will see it at the top of a daily menu. Ours is listed on days 7 & 11. 

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I saw it on our App for March sometime in January.  Go to dining on the app, select the Sushi restaurant and Menu, Dinner.  Scroll over each day and if the Indian dinner is scheduled you will see it at the top of a daily menu. Ours is listed on days 7 & 11. 

Thank you!!!!

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

My understanding is that this is treated the same as a Chef's Table and is not part of a specialty dining package.  We are expecting to have to pay for it even though we are in an upper level suite with free specialty dining.

I was wondering this, too.

Wow, this is so cool! I hope they do this on the Equinox when we sail in April. I'll keep my eyes open just in case. So glad you mentioned it.

We eat primarily vegetarian at home since my husband is totally vegetarian. We have some wonderful Indian friends who kindly gave me cooking lessons and I've got an amazing Indian cookbook so much of our home food is Indian. (660 Curries by Rahgvan Iyer is the book; worth every penny!).

5 hours ago, cbfb said:

Where on the app did you see this? We would love it if it was on our May sailing. 

I went to Dining, then Special Offers. I see if I go to Sushi on Five as suggested, it shows up under both Day 7 and Day 11 instead of their dinner menu. Day 11 is when we disembark, so that's I guess just a glitch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

I went to Dining, then Special Offers. I see if I go to Sushi on Five as suggested, it shows up under both Day 7 and Day 11 instead of their dinner menu. Day 11 is when we disembark, so that's I guess just a glitch. 

From my experience, pre-cruise, the app is not totally accurate on menus and dates (and other things as well).  For example, on our cruise, the app showed what was clearly the second evening chic dinner menu on what was pretty clearly not going to be that date, and wasn't.   As for the Taj X dinner, it was only offered once on our sailing, and I haven't read any reports of it being offered more than once on other cruises.   

2 hours ago, JaneAustenCruiser said:

We eat primarily vegetarian at home since my husband is totally vegetarian. We have some wonderful Indian friends who kindly gave me cooking lessons and I've got an amazing Indian cookbook so much of our home food is Indian. (660 Curries by Rahgvan Iyer is the book; worth every penny!).

We have several Indian cookbooks including "660 Curries."  That cookbook is wonderful.  For those of us who don't have easy access to special spice blends it also includes spice mixes to assemble at home.  We gave a copy to friends as a hostess gift and they also rave about it.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Honeybadger418 said:

I love Indian food!  I am sailing on the Edge in June.  I checked the dining options on the X app and online, but I didn’t see an option for Taj X.

Do you have to wait until you board and inquire about it then?

You are months away from sailing.  It's too soon to see it on the app.  That said, I have no idea whether this is something offered on the Edge.   If you never see it on the app, ask when you board.  (It can't be booked via the app in any event.)

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

Cruising on Reflection in May. I went to the Sushi on 5 menu looking for the Indian food and  it only lists the sushi dinner menu up until day 8 after that it reads “venue closed” for the remainder of the days of our cruise.  

Taj on 5 seems to be a completely random pop up event on Celebrity ships. It's certainly worth going to. But there's no guarantee that it will be on your sailing. 

Ask the staff in Sushi on 5 early on if it's happening on your cruise and book if it is would be my advise. 

• Like 1

This is something we have not done before and would love to. This thread inspired me to check the app for our next cruise, which currently tells me Taj X is on the 8th night. The only problem with that is that it is a 7 night cruise!!

We'll ask ASAP when on board.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Honeybadger418 said:

I love Indian food!  I am sailing on the Edge in June.  I checked the dining options on the X app and online, but I didn’t see an option for Taj X.

Do you have to wait until you board and inquire about it then?

We were just on Apex a week ago. I'm afraid it's not (yet) offered on the Edge class ships, but the Maitre D that we spoke to was hopeful that it would be soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was offered once on Silhouette Jan 24 sailing. IMO, the Indian food at the buffet is as good. Maybe Ocean View is a better choice so vegetarians and “meat and potatoes” people can choose something else. We could not book it ahead of time; it did not qualify for the complementary specialty restaurant perk for being in a RS. Enjoy!