Connect game system to stateroom TV on NCL Star

sparkygirlfamily

There are several different ways to connect a laptop or gaming system to a cruise ship TV. Some require you to bring a universal remote ($5.00) in order to change the input/source on the TV. Some require you to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the TV because the ships use a VOD type of system and it overrides the HDMI port. For Nintendo Switch, you will need internet access for proper play and you will need the upgraded internet service offered for best results. There are numerous YouTube videos, to include connecting the Switch. I always bring a programmable remote and an extra long (10ft) HDMI cable to be on safe side. Some TVs require you to use the push button controls usually hidden on the bottom frame of the TV.

when I sailed with my kids in October they wanted to bring the Switch.  I knew it was possible, but didn't feel like dealing with it, so I just told them it wasn't possible as they are specially made TVs to prevent that.  Much easier.

You might be better off bringing your own screen device too, for a better quality?

This may sound snarky but really isn't. A suite might have a better tv screen than the average stateroom but most cruise ship tv's haven't impressed me. Bringing a (suitable) TFT/LCD monitor with HDMI/power cords might sound crazy but if may give flexibility over the hassle with the stateroom TV?

Or connect your Switch to your tablet (if any decent size).

4 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

You might be better off bringing your own screen device too, for a better quality?

This may sound snarky but really isn't. A suite might have a better tv screen than the average stateroom but most cruise ship tv's haven't impressed me. Bringing a (suitable) TFT/LCD monitor with HDMI/power cords might sound crazy but if may give flexibility over the hassle with the stateroom TV?

Or connect your Switch to your tablet (if any decent size).

Or just stay home.

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Or just stay home.

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

I would not bring a game system either but each to his own. No judgement needed. :classic_smile:

I normally absolutely would not be considering attaching my daughter's switch to the TV or even allowing it at dinner etc.  We are going on a 14 day cruise to South America and Antarctica, due to itinerary changes we now have 7 sea days in a row and it has just recently been confirmed there is no Splash Academy or drop off care available.  My daughter is an amazing traveler but I also know there will be very few children and if bringing her switch keeps her occupied and busy for the benefit of everyone's cruise I ...my own included ; ) I asked the question.

• Like 5

What difference to anyone does it make if the OP brings a gaming system ON HER CRUISE.  I have brought DVD players with a nice assortment of films to entertain grandchildren and myself on sea days with inclement weather.  Keep your opinions to yourself and try to answer a valid question if you can instead of judging.

Edited by razor7_us
Typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, razor7_us said:

What difference to anyone does it make if the OP brings a gaming system ON HER CRUISE.  I have brought DVD players with a nice assortment of films to entertain grandchildren and myself on sea days with inclement weather.  Keep your opinions to yourself and try to answer a valid question if you can instead of judging.

He says while expressing HIS OPINION.

• Haha 1

Reminds me of a time on a travel forum where I asked if I would be able to wear jeans in a certain Paris restaurant given our plans to not carry dressier clothes with us.  Rather than an answer to my question I got lectures about what I should wear and pack.  Just as annoying.

• Like 2

OP, I cannot be specific answering your question about the Star, but, I suggest the following - bring a little LED flashlight (smartphone's flashlight might be difficult to get into tight spaces behind the HDTV to see what you are doing).  Bring a good quality HDMI cable, 6' at least with 10' being better and maybe a right angle HDMI adapter, and, a Cat 5E or higher ethernet cable - 10' or longer if the HDMI port isn't used.

The *.away class ships seemed to have "Sole" HDTV, hospitality branded that support 1080p and HDMI input source, whereas the Dawn & Gem ships that had recent dry dock upgrade work done, came with LG branded TV instead, with either an Ethernet input used or locking RG-59 coaxial input source (that would effective render the gaming system not usable)  I have not try to connect to the ethernet port in the regular staterooms but the HDMI port as used for the Sole TV is usable for your output to connect, you cannot switch - just shut down, disconnect & re-connect your HDMI source, then power up. The LG's webOS seemed to go thru its own (Linux ?) OS boot-up sequence and that might be your first problem to get a signal to display on screen (remember it's used for interactive TV programming & onboard account and messaging, etc.)   

Typically, when we do extended travel - we bring our Chromecast (now w TV with voice remote) stick and Roku Express/HD box with remote ... and can log-in and jump over the wall to connect & configure, but, the newer TV's are hospitality (hotel) grades & firmware locked, not as simple to override or disable them ... yes, their IT folks are getting smarter when securely programming these TV displays, a Harmony Universal Remote might not do it anymore. 

You might want to check with the Haven pre-cruise concierge or someone currently onboard to see if they can check out & confirm what brand of TV are in the penthouses & whether the room steward have the remote enabled to change input sources, upon request - that will eliminate the guessing here.  Otherwise, packing your own working & compatible LCD/LED monitor might be your sure bet ... or a 17" gaming laptop that support HDMI input (Chromebook with an USB hub/ with HDMI & ethernet is your best contingency).  Good luck & have fun, do share what worked & didn't ... others could benefit too.  😉  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I think a cruise is necessary and get away from the games. Start to see the real world through non-electronic devices. Honestly, get them away from fantasy and back to reality. I would leave it at home and make them enjoy a vacation.

I would normally agree, I'm making an exception this trip due to no splash academy with drop off care therefore I can't have her eat her dinner while we enjoy appetizers and then take her to kids club while we finish our meal.  We also are on a 14 day cruise with 7 sea days in a row.  It is a Buenos Aires South America and Antarctica cruise.  She will be seeing lots of the real world while I'm being a realist that on a long cruise with few children if any children and no splash academy that for my fellow cruisers benefit I'm allowing the game system this trip.

I've also packed card games and other travel games as there is no game lending from the library or card room available on board a family favorite.  We are going to learn watercoloring and I'm packing those materials, plus bringing school work for her to do during the three week trip.  It is a once in a life time adventure that I am planning extra for due to the limitations on what we would normally do on ship not being available.  As well as knowing a variety of activities leads to a happy child who is pleasant and social with fellow guests and crew.  

Edited by sparkygirlfamily
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

Reminds me of a time on a travel forum where I asked if I would be able to wear jeans in a certain Paris restaurant given our plans to not carry dressier clothes with us.  Rather than an answer to my question I got lectures about what I should wear and pack.  Just as annoying.

If you don't like other's candid, forthright responses, don't ask for them.

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Typically, when we do extended travel - we bring our Chromecast (now w TV with voice remote) stick and Roku Express/HD box with remote ... and can log-in and jump over the wall to connect & configure, but, the newer TV's are hospitality (hotel) grades & firmware locked, not as simple to override or disable them ... yes, their IT folks are getting smarter when securely programming these TV displays, a Harmony Universal Remote might not do it anymore. 

On the Escape last month, the television input was via HDMI.  The tv had multiple HDMI ports, but I was not able to change the input even with a universal remote.  I plugged the HDMI cable from my Roku directly into the working port (the one piping in the ship's programming), but the tv would not recognize the Roku.  Strangely, it would allow me to stream from my laptop when connect to the working port.  I then attempted to utilize a 3 way splitter so that I could easily access both the ship's programming and video on my laptop.  It worked only on the first position, but it was easier to plug and unplug whichever I wanted to watch. 

So, yes, I would say that the IT folks are getting smarter.  What I don't understand is why they care if we want to stream our own content on their televisions.

2 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

What I don't understand is why they care if we want to stream our own content on their televisions.

Maybe, just maybe, the cruise lines don't what every passenger rewiring the cabin and having to go in and correct their mistakes or damage to the system.

2 hours ago, Travelicious said:

On the Escape last month, the television input ... had multiple HDMI ports, but I was not able to change the input even with a universal remote ... plugged ... directly into the working port ... but the tv would not recognize the Roku ... it would allow me to stream from my laptop when connect to the working port.  IT folks are getting smarter ... 

It has to do with DMCA copyright & jailbreak protections being allowed, apparently, which Roku & Apple devices are permitted by the patents folks regarding DRM streaming contents.  

It's a reminder, especially for Roku devices - to check & bring a hi-speed HDMI cable that support HDCP for that direct connection, going thru a splitter and/or adapter will sometimes break that bonding (solution, might/not work always - disconnect, power down, connect & boot up & try ... repeat or give up) and you might see it connected, but show an error message that it is disabled or unable to show content due to "HDCP" protections (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)  Several years ago, Roku firmware had a workaround to connect to "hotel" or hospitality WiFi screen that required a sign-on, click to agree before allowed to proceed - it's gone - you might recall, as it would clone the device MAC address, etc.   Similar safeguards & checks apparently on Chromecast /for TV with newer/current firmware as well - making life more difficult & challenging.  

Both the Breakaway & Escape are using HDTV by Sole (default mode was 720p not 1080, probably for bandwidth reasons) with HDMI as input source for ship's interactive contents, laptop/notebook PC or Chromebook with a direct HDMI output for display do not check for HDCP.  Hence, it connected easily - I have an upgraded 1TB SSD drive on our traveling Sony Viao NB with preloaded contents for playback - yet to run into any issues ... live streaming over the unlimited data plan is another story, regardless: Prime Video, Sling, Roku, Disney+ or AMC+ or YouTube Premium, etc.  Typical average speed onboard is at best 3.5 to 4 Mbps as tested & confirmed by others on the premium unlimited plan, just barely enough for SD or 480 and maybe 720p contents ... true HD or 1080p usually needs 4 to 5 Mbps consistently to override buffering & signal drops.  

LG's monitors used on the Gem & the Dawn are a pain, as it used either an ethernet input or RG-59 connection, and disabling or changing the signal source would fail to boot up ... as the Linux codes would not be loaded, resulting in a blank screen.  Our next ship is the Getaway, going to check it out to see what's new & different.  Being in a balcony, mini or higher does make all these easier, as there is more "work" space behind the monitor, a little room to swivel & tilt on the mounting plate - OV and Insides are much more difficult, especially without a bright light to see.  For gaming purposes, some of these shouldn't matter.  

These are probably also being done to minimize the odds of the TV system being "hacked" and staff time to maintain & reset it after each sailing.  Gotta love our Marriott branded extended stay hotels, as the newer HDTV are user-friendly with decent choice of preloaded apps, sign-in with your own credentials, click-scroll-select and watch, most of the time without taking out the Chromecast or Roku gadgets.   

@mking8288 I wish I was more knowledgeable about all of this technology and could better understand your explanations.  If I get a hi-speed HDMI cable that supports HDCP, would I be able to successfully use the Roku (for pre-recorded content - it is one with a usb input) on the Breakaway?  If not, I'll just bring my laptop with pre-loaded content.

We have booked a B2B2B on the Getaway in 2024, so I will look forward to your update regarding this issue.  Thanks!

@Travelicious - for your specific 2024 B2B2B Getaway application, to keep it simple, I would pre-load contents on (my) the laptop and just run that 10' hi-speed HDMI cable (some Roku /mostly older & basic ones - came with a standard cable, newer 2020-21 plus / 4K model comes with a hi-speed HDMI cable, except it might be too short ... look for one at Best Buy or Amazon, read the description) and test it at home first, or the next time you stay at a hotel.  Direct output from laptop to TV input in the stateroom, without going thru the Roku app/interface should make it straight forward and easy - assuming that they will be not replacing or upgrade the TV to a newer/different brand & model.

Roku doesn't work these days without a WiFi internet or intranet data signal and 2 to 3 years from now is a long, long time.  Roku just recently lost a patent dispute filed, blocking some of the devices from being sold and/or will likely be making changes - that spell more changes are coming, stay tuned.

Going to be on the Getaway early next year with our Chromecast w Google TV and Roku Express HD, (RE HD 2021 4K w Voice Remote is nicer, gifted one away) and will explore further ... stay tuned/look for a geek update later, clearly not everyone is interested, fine - not imposing on them to read or comment. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sparkygirlfamily said:

I normally absolutely would not be considering attaching my daughter's switch to the TV or even allowing it at dinner etc.  We are going on a 14 day cruise to South America and Antarctica, due to itinerary changes we now have 7 sea days in a row and it has just recently been confirmed there is no Splash Academy or drop off care available.  My daughter is an amazing traveler but I also know there will be very few children and if bringing her switch keeps her occupied and busy for the benefit of everyone's cruise I ...my own included ; ) I asked the question.

You don’t need to explain your reasons for doing so to anyone, your vacation do whatever works for you.  Enjoy those sea days!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Maybe, just maybe, the cruise lines don't what every passenger rewiring the cabin and having to go in and correct their mistakes or damage to the system.

This happened to me durning a  hotel stay pre pandemic.  TV in the room wasn’t working.  Two members of the tech support team tried to fix it.  Both stated the previous  guest  had obvious reconfigured the TV probably to watch movie or play  video games.  They notified  the front desk to mark room  as unavailable until the system could be fixed. No other rooms were available that night for me. Not a big deal but I would of like  to watch the morning weather. 

I remember thinking who does that?  Is not your TV.  Just something to think about. 

Maybe  NCL should  offer  to hook up system or rent them for their passengers.  Sure they would charge though, LOL

Edited by milolii