Covid Positive Complete Nightmare - Getaway

cusematt4

29 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

Covid tests are FREE pretty much everywhere....why would you not get tested before heading to the pier??

No. Covid tests are not "FREE pretty much everywhere".  They are certainly not free in Canada, and in many places there is no paid appointments to be had for the next many days.  Today in Canada I managed to get a (paid) appointment due to cancellation, and at the counter they have signs saying NO walk-in appointments.  For the guests get on the cruise we went on (Dec. 5, sailing out of Rome), many people who arrived in Europe/Rome earlier had to look hard to find paid Covid tests.

Even in US, about a week before I had to look had to make bookings for free PCR tests at two Walgreen locations in Miami, for my wife and I, for Dec. 22 at 3pm and 7pm respectively.  On Dec. 22, we got tested at 3pm at one location, but still went to the 7pm location thinking if something went wrong in that first test, we have a back up.  Well at that second location, the pharmacy was closed.  No testing, no reason given, just closed, even though we did get reminder emails just hours before.

For our Dec. 24  8pm flight Miami to Toronto, the (Dec. 22 3pm) Walgreen results still were not out after 5pm (>50 hours, even though the lady at Walgreen said the results should be within 48 hours).  We had to get rapid PCR test at a Miami airport clinic paying US$175/p.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Middleager said:

No. Covid tests are not "FREE pretty much everywhere".  They are certainly not free in Canada, and in many places there is no paid appointments to be had for the next many days. 

Let me rephrase that....in the US, if you plan accordingly, you can get a free test by appointment...although I heard that the days before Christmas were a huge shht show...

23 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

in the US, if you plan accordingly, you can get a free test by appointment

The only way it's "free" in my state is if you have symptoms or have been exposed and insurance will be billed. You have to pay for testing for travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnitaVacation said:

how long do you think NCL is going to take responsibility for arrangements for positive passengers??

As long as they want to find paying passengers to sail on their ships.  Why would passengers choose NCL if their policy is:  "There's a raging pandemic, but if anything happens, you're on your own"?

56 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

I'm not understanding why they should have to pay if you contracted covid before you reached the pier.

They're not "paying" anything.  They are simply agreeing to not keep your money for a service that they will not be providing, and you will not be receiving.  FCC is good, but a refund would be better.  And that's what Royal Caribbean does.  

We have a final payment due soon, and we will probably cancel for that reason.  With Omicron, there is too much of a risk that we could test positive in the 14 days before our cruise, and then have our money locked in FCC.  The FCC must be used in 2022, and there is no way that we could find a comparable cruise for the same price as our current cruise.  If NCL had Royal's policy, we would probably go.

47 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

.in the US, if you plan accordingly, you can get a free test by appointment

Not a rapid test, and not where we live.  The standard PCR test is free, but it may not come back in 48 hours.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:31 PM, Babr said:

If you are using a home testing kit from the drug store, that will not be sufficient for NCL or insurance. That is why NCL confirms with a second test before people are denied boarding.

So if someone tests himself in a hotel room and cancels on that basis, it could be a problem. A last minute self-test still requires confirmation from an official test site or a doctor.

There are many proctored tests. I now travel with them. 69.95 for 2. They send an official email instantly after you test.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. You are covered by NCL insurance, if you bought it, regardless of pre testing. 

NCL offers to pay anything your insurance doesn’t cover if you have to quarantine. And offers assistance with getting you a quarantine facility. 

,I meant the assistance at the pier. I f you haven't taken a test within 96 hours, they do not provide assistance .

On 12/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

And that applies if you took the test within 96 hours of arriving at pier

Discussion about testing is somewhat going off on its own, but, FWIW as FYI

Here in NYC - free testing are available, sure but there are long lines all of last week everywhere out in our "county" nearest to JFK and LGA (sorry, travelers on the clock ... go private & pay for it)  Several days ago, I checked CVS and Walgreen locations that offered them free, nothing available for 7 to 8 days - yeah, plan ahead for sure - depending on which test is needed and accepted / required for travel.  Turnaround results not guaranteed, lately - disclosure right on their website when you log in to start the quick online screening prompts.  

Re-check that just a short while ago, nothing changed - 7 or 8 days, and, just like last week - most of the available locations are drive-thru only, outside the city's 5 boroughs (counties) and you cannot access them via public transport or mass transit.  

CityMD is a chain of urgent care facilities that offer Covid-19 testing, closed 13 of its location "temporary" until further notice due to staffing (sick call ...) and redirecting the public to alternate sites - PCR results are now taking 5 to 7 days instead.  Travelers aren't going to be happy with the option.

https://www.citymd.com/news/covid-19-testing-update

Labs are running 24/7 to keep up with running & posting results as the demands for all 3 types of Covid-19 tests spiked up lately, per various news reporting sources.  

As of the availability of home testing kits ... well, multiple CVS and Walgreens near us are out of stock, expecting more & soon.  Luckily, I order 2 boxes earlier & they are now in transit, arriving mid-week.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Middleager said:

We embarked Getaway on Dec. 5 in Rome for the TA sailing ending up in Miami Dec. 22.  That's the day OP's group tried to embark in Miami.

For our sailing, we did NOT get PCR test within 96hr.  It was not required.  There were other guests who arrived in Rome or even other parts of Europe for some time before the cruise, and they did not get Covid tested until at embarkation.

We did get antigen test as it was a requirement to fly out of Canada, and also to enter EU, but NCL did not require any test within 96 hours for embarkation.

the 96 hour was not required but said they wouldn't provide assistance at the pier without it. Every single person I spoke with on both jade (Greece) and Epic (Italy) was tested prior to arrival.

52 minutes ago, vacationut said:

The only way it's "free" in my state is if you have symptoms or have been exposed and insurance will be billed.

I'm pretty certain at this point that we've all been exposed.  I'll probably be exposed five more times in the next several weeks.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vacationut said:

The only way it's "free" in my state is if you have symptoms or have been exposed and insurance will be billed. You have to pay for testing for travel. 

Do you not have Walgreens and CVS in your state? Under the CARES act, they are required to provide free testing. Getting appointments can be challenging, but it is definitely free at those stores.

22 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just checked and delivery is much longer to my area in Michigan.

image.png.ef96c8ddec592b4e8b6f0be7b6bc1155.png

PS: Know that I have been thinking about you.

Mine says shipping in 9 days too (to Maryland).  I will still order - good to have some.

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Do you not have Walgreens and CVS in your state? Under the CARES act, they are required to provide free testing. Getting appointments can be challenging, but it is definitely free at those stores.

Yes, we have Walgreen's. I've been through the paperwork and since the testing is for travel it cost $125. 

12 hours ago, vacationut said:

Not true. We live in Michigan and went to CVS once in Sept for our Celebrity Edge cruise and once in Nov for our NCL JOY test. It was the Rapid test. We made an appointment and received results within minutes . It was FREE!

We even said it was for Travel.

We live in Macomb County.

Stay Safe! 

So if we get PCR tests and say it is “because we have been exposed to someone with Covid,” (so that our insurance will be billed), and those PCR tests are negative, is that going to cause any problems with NCL if we test positive at the pier? Like will they say, “your previous test says you were exposed to someone with Covid, so no quarantine help for you!”  

Honestly I think this different billing for tests for travel vs. exposure is stupid. We are all getting tested to prevent spreading the virus to other people, not because we enjoy having a swab stick up our nose. It should all be free. 

16 hours ago, AnitaVacation said:

Let me rephrase that....in the US, if you plan accordingly, you can get a free test by appointment...although I heard that the days before Christmas were a huge shht show...

This really varies by location.  Some areas of the country are having a hard time keeping tests in stock which has resulted in testing locations like CVS or Walgreens to cancel previously made appointments.  My area right now, Walgreens has no appointments available.  Ditto with Legacy clinics.  You CAN pay out of pocket at the cost of $150 to $300 a test depending on the test you choose and submit the test to your insurance, assuming you have insurance.

9 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

For those looking for a proctored test, I bought mine here for both cruises I have taken.  Delivery was typically within a few days.

https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-devices/covid-19-home-tests/

Thanks.  Do you know if the proctored 2-pack can be used for two people? 

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks.  Do you know if the proctored 2-pack can be used for two people? 

Absolutely!   I have heard other people suggest that you buy 2 tests each because there have been reports of some test kids having the fluid bottles empty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vacationut said:

Yes, we have Walgreen's. I've been through the paperwork and since the testing is for travel it cost $125. 

The questionnaire on the Walgreens site asks if you live in an area of high circulation of the virus in order to determine if you qualify for a free test. Here is the CDC's current map of counties with high transmission. It's nearly every county in the US.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view?list_select_state=all_states&list_select_county=all_counties&data-type=Risk