Puerto Vallarta

dmcfad2

43 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Looking to the future of our cruising   ,starting Dec 3 ,2022 ,we are apprehensive with  the  cruise ships getting cpvid cases .We can 't chance this virus dies to ur ages &  underlying medical conditions .We certainly hope things will change by September  our final paymemt month  ,it is just so uncertain with these new variants popping up . All we can do now is pray for this virus to   loose it's potency   . Ships imo are the worse place to be with a highly contagious virus 

While we share the same health-related concerns and are also seniors, we have not been willing to give up years of travel/cruising.  It is likely that there will be more variants and/or new viruses/diseases and the willingness of our leaders to overreact to every surge.   One can certainly debate the wisdom of such action, but we leave that to others while we continue to travel and cruise.  We also accept that this does involve increased risk but accept that as part of life.

Hank

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 12/23/2021 at 9:06 AM, Deep68 said:

Just found out we will not be allowed on shore. Apparently there were a handful of crew who have tested positive for COVID but are asymptomatic and the Mexican authorities will not let us on shore.

We are leaving port in 30 mins or so. 

Just out of curiosity, how on earth did they track down the passengers already ashore?  I can see if they all went all the way through the mall, but when I went off on my one in Nov.,  I took the back route that bypasses most of the mall...  just trying to wrap my head around how I would have been notified.... 

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Just out of curiosity, how on earth did they track down the passengers already ashore?  I can see if they all went all the way through the mall, but when I went off on my one in Nov.,  I took the back route that bypasses most of the mall...  just trying to wrap my head around how I would have been notified.... 

They never left the immediate area just off of the ship. They were still in the area where you wait for tours. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Doesn't a really long blast in the ship's horn mean "Get back to the Ship at once"?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

Puerto Rico has also announced that it will deny port facilities to cruise ships unless they can show individual negative tests for all passengers/crew intending to come ashore within the preceding 48 hours.

you got to ask yourself how could the cruise industry handle all these ports denying entry   . The test kits are in short supply .Thus ,how can people be tested   aboard cruise ships ?

24 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

you got to ask yourself how could the cruise industry handle all these ports denying entry   . The test kits are in short supply .Thus ,how can people be tested   aboard cruise ships ?

Additionally ,how can every one who is booked take a cruise in the near future ,with the test kits in short supply ,with the  CDC rule for a negative test 2 days before the cruise takes place?

Like it or not, the decisions of many governments are intended to  protect the large and vulnerable portions of their populations who -- unlike anti-vaxxers in the U.S. -- are without access to to vaccines (let alone boosters) which remain in scarce supply outside of the richest nations and where medical facilities are already stretched.

The downside risk for the Caymans other islands nations is that among the hordes of day visitors coming off cruise ships there may be some who are carriers of a deadly disease. That trumps the increasingly limited economic value of short-stay cruise passengers increasingly herded into cruise company outings. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

Like it or not, the decisions of many governments are intended to  protect the large and vulnerable portions of their populations who -- unlike anti-vaxxers in the U.S. -- are without access to to vaccines (let alone boosters) which remain in scarce supply outside of the richest nations and where medical facilities are already stretched.

The downside risk for the Caymans other islands nations is that among the hordes of day visitors coming off cruise ships there may be some who are carriers of a deadly disease. That trumps the increasingly limited economic value of short-stay cruise passengers increasingly herded into cruise company outings. 

The issue here is the availability of test kits to the cruise lines in todays world of short supply  .Thus ,if  a port denies docking can the cruise ship guarantee using test kits that the ship is clean of  covid ?

https://www.elnorte.com/reciben-en-guaymas-a-crucero-con-brote-de-covid-19/ar2322173

Mexico City (December 28, 2021) .- After the landing of a tourist cruise ship in Puerto Vallarta was denied yesterday in Jalisco due to an active Covid-19 outbreak, the ship was received in the Puerto de Guaymas, Sonora.

The Secretaries of Health and Tourism indicated that the Government of Mexico reiterates its commitment to respect what is established in the WHO International Health Regulations, for which cruises will be received in the country's maritime ports.

"In the event that people traveling on cruise ships show symptoms of Covid-19 disease or a positive test for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, they will be provided with the required medical attention.

"Asymptomatic people or with a mild condition will be kept in preventive quarantine, and those who present serious symptoms will be treated in the hospitals of the cities where they are," they reported in a statement.

People who do not show symptoms will be able to do their tourist activities with respect to the basic prevention measures: correct use of face masks; frequent hand washing with soap and water or use of 70 percent alcohol-gel and healthy distance.

"Our Country maintains its policy of solidarity and fraternity, as well as the principle of non-discrimination towards all people, so the health and tourism authorities remain pending to provide necessary medical assistance to those who visit us for recreational, work, or other reasons. commercial and academic, among other activities that are carried out in compliance with national laws, "it was indicated.

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

The issue here is the availability of test kits to the cruise lines in todays world of short supply  .Thus ,if  a port denies docking can the cruise ship guarantee using test kits that the ship is clean of  covid ?

Pretty sure the cruise lines have locked up their own supply.  They don't exactly buy them through their local pharmacy.  They buy in bulk and they contract services well in advance.  After all they know they have to test their crew every week as well as having supply on board for passengers if needed. 

Would not worry about the ships running out of tests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Additionally ,how can every one who is booked take a cruise in the near future ,with the test kits in short supply ,with the  CDC rule for a negative test 2 days before the cruise takes place?

You are misinformed. Yesterday I ordered through Emed six of the proctored BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test kits and they were shipped today with delivery tomorrow by FedEx. These will be used for our upcoming cruise in 19 days. Very simple to use with a laptop computer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

You are misinformed. Yesterday I ordered through Emed six of the proctored BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test kits and they were shipped today with delivery tomorrow by FedEx. These will be used for our upcoming cruise in 19 days. Very simple to use with a laptop computer.

But these test kits are not free .The last I saw the 5 kits cost $ 150  plus tax & cost to ship them  

41 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

But these test kits are not free .The last I saw the 5 kits cost $ 150  plus tax & cost to ship them  

Reminds me of your comments back during the initial vaccine period.  You would post that you could not find any place to get vaccinated.  Then people would take time to look for places for getting vaccines near where you lived, or posted link that would give you that information, only to get that it was too far, that it was the wrong vaccines, etc. Only for you to raise the same complaint over and over again.

Now you are going on about tests being in short supply.  Have people responding with why they are not, only to get your response that they are not free, that they actually cost.

Well that is pretty much the way of things.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

In my view, finding and acquiring, at a cost, Covid testing supplies, is another expense of cruising in today's world. If one wants to cruise, one pays what it costs. 

And if the cruise lines want to keep cruising they need to have a hand in helping.  Its s 2 way street.  My cruises are not cheap or free.  

test kits are not free .The last I saw the 5 kits cost $ 150  plus tax & cost to ship them

Oh woe.

How's this for a consideration.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to purchase tests, not so much as to guarantee yourself that you can wander around someone else's country but rather so they can be reasonably assured that you are not an irresponsible carrier of a deadly disease.  

Edited by voyageur9
typos
  • Like 2

You failed to mention that when you were complaining about tests not being available. The tests are available contrary to what you have stated. Please go on your driving vacation and enjoy yourself without the worries of cruising. Then come back here in a year, maybe when you feel that you can cruise.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

And if the cruise lines want to keep cruising they need to have a hand in helping.  Its s 2 way street.  My cruises are not cheap or free.  

You might want to cruise with Viking Ocean that tests passengers on a daily basis with a full-blown PCR Saliva test and also does contact tracing on those who were potentially exposed. The cost to do this is built into their fare structure so expect to pay more than HAL.

Also by testing daily, they can readily identify those who are infected to take action immediately. Thankfully our Iceland cruise with VO this past Summer was without any passengers or crew becoming infected. But two weeks later a passenger was infected and had come in contact with quite a few passengers. 26 passengers left the ship that same day to fly home while still testing negative rather than being placed in quarantine in Iceland for 14 days.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, PSR said:

Were they testing just people that didn't get their results in time, or also people who couldn't (or didn't try to) manage to get a test?

They weren't really checking to see if we had tried to get a test, so both.