Carnival App/Hub

Giantfan13

We are just off the Legend this past Sunday and got to experience this 'new way' of cruising, using the Carnival app for basically everything on board. We read these boards but maybe we didn't read this, as I'm sure it has been mentioned, that you have to use the App for basically everything on the ship. It was a complete surprise to us. I had downloaded the app before boarding. 

My DW and I are what might be referred to as 'older' seniors and honestly, we aren't big time smart phone people. We have them but they aren't our lives, so when we were told that we basically had to use the App to eat, to find out what is happening on the ship and basically for everything else, I can't say we were big fans. I am curious as to how others feel about this new way to cruise. I assume all Carnival ships are doing it, not just the Legend.

One thing we really missed were the daily papers that told us about the next day on the ship, in ports and what is happening aboard the following day. I know you used to return to your cabin at night and it is waiting for you on the bed. We loved to browse it and see what we would like to do the next day. Now, you have to use your phone for that. I'm sure for many, it's a good thing, but we really missed the paperwork.

Also, we had Anytime Dining, and you couldn't just go to the Dining Room, you had to check in and wait to be called when your table is ready. Maybe that's not so bad, but we need to sit at a real table, and it seemed every night we got the note that our table was ready, it was a booth, and we had to have it changed. We told them every night; we need a table from now on. They marked it down but every night, a booth. We also found a table in an area where we loved the wait staff and asked if we could possibly be seated in this area most nights. Again, we were told, basically no, we have to take whatever gets assigned to us. And, in the Dining room, call us really old fashioned but we like to look at a real menu, something that seemed foreign to the staff. When we dine out, we really hate to see people glaring at their phones while seated and eating, but here you have to because that's where the menu is.

I'm sure there are a lot of positives for the App also. It does keep people from gathering at the Dining room entrance, but for us, I really didn't enjoy using it for everything.

Cheers

Len

A one sheet of the daily events was available at Guest Services. It's not quite what the Fun Times offered but the basics are there. You're right about not being able to pre-select a specific table type or section of the MDR for seating. Each time I was directed to the hostess stand and I was able to get the type of table and location I preferred rather than the table shown on my phone. Yes, it's an extra step but I did it knowing that much of these changes are due to covid and not because Carnival has a yen for smartphone technology.

19 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

It sounds like traditional fixed time dining would be a better fit for you since it would eliminate the need to check in for a table, and would also solve your "table not a booth" problem once you got the maître d' to assign you a table the first day. 

From what I understand they also had to 'check in'?

Cheers

Len

On our first cruise after reopening (was in September) our reaction was much the same as the OP. But by our second cruise (last week) we were fine with the app. It is a real pain for my wife to carry a phone as she carries it in her purse so she doesn't. I carry mine in my belt case which is no problem.

We have found my time dining easier with the app since you don't go down until your table is ready, but like the OP we aren't too happy with the staff doing things like trying to put us at a table for 10 when we did not click the "I'm willing to share a table" button. I also appreciate being able to check our on-board account at any time. It saves having to check over the print-out shoved under your door the last night. And I would think the deck plans would be great for folks who don't know the ship.

I think that once you fool around with the app enough to know where to look for information you find the app acceptable and in some ways even better than the old paper.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the app is that getting rid of the daily sheet also got rid of the ton of useless advertising they used to put in the room each day.

I guess I'm a "younger senior" 😁  But I was also an Admin for an extremely technologically advanced construction contractor and I had to use my phone in business life far more than I expected so it isn't a foreign concept to me at all.

I actually enjoyed using the Hub and felt like I had more control instead of less. 

DH didn't adapt quite as fast and he did ask for paper menus when we were in the MDR and Steakhouse. He did better on our second post restart cruise and I think he'll deal with it much better when we go again in about 28 days. The Steakhouse menu on the Hub isn't easy to read at all and I resorted to pulling it on my tablet before we left the cabin.

I don't miss the paper Fun Times in the least, for me it is far easier to read on the Hub as I have the font set really large on my phone plus I like the fact that they aren't wasting so much paper with all the ads that they used to leave in your cabin. I dealt with it fine but I also use apps for most things in my life like banking, booking hotels, ordering food and planning everything/reminders using Calendar. I can imagine that if you weren't prepared for it that it would be a shock, but you can pick up a printed Fun Times at Guest Services and request a printed menu in the MDR. 

4 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

From what I understand they also had to 'check in'?

Cheers

Len

On our MG and Freedom sailings, fixed time evening dining did not have to use the app to "sign in".  We did for Seaday brunch and mdr breakfast, and that eliminated waiting in line outside the hostess desk.

Some of the changes from paper to electronic or digital info are due to COVID, but many others are the result of the cruise lines eliminating what easily becomes trash.  Carnival is under court order to do so. 

Ink and paper Photos are replaced by digital images, menus are online instead of printed.  You can get paper if you ask while this transition is underway.

I'll predict that you will soon be able to order your meal through the app!!

• Like 1

Our first cruise "back" in October on the Vista I was surprised and annoyed when we showed up at the MDR for YTD and was asked by the hostess what our table number was. I was like "What?"  and she explained the new procedure to me. I hadn't looked at my S&S card very closely where it said to use the HUB app for dining. I, too, am a not very tech savvy senior, but after the first day I loved the new way of doing things! The first night in the MDR we liked our wait staff and stopped by the desk on the way out and asked for them for every night. Wasn't a problem.  The lack of all the paper was wonderful, what a waste that was. My sister-in-law was with us and she was not at all happy, went to Guest Services everyday to ask for the Funtimes, asked for the paper menu every night in the MDR.

All around, the HUB is a great tool. Loved the new muster drill, and the facial recognition at customs. Maybe progress is a good thing!

1 hour ago, nlktx49 said:

Our first cruise "back" in October on the Vista I was surprised and annoyed when we showed up at the MDR for YTD and was asked by the hostess what our table number was. I was like "What?"  and she explained the new procedure to me. I hadn't looked at my S&S card very closely where it said to use the HUB app for dining. I, too, am a not very tech savvy senior, but after the first day I loved the new way of doing things! The first night in the MDR we liked our wait staff and stopped by the desk on the way out and asked for them for every night. Wasn't a problem.  The lack of all the paper was wonderful, what a waste that was. My sister-in-law was with us and she was not at all happy, went to Guest Services everyday to ask for the Funtimes, asked for the paper menu every night in the MDR.

All around, the HUB is a great tool. Loved the new muster drill, and the facial recognition at customs. Maybe progress is a good thing!

So did you stop requesting a table on your phone in order to be seated in the same section of the MDR each night to have the same servers?

On 12/23/2021 at 6:13 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

It sounds like traditional fixed time dining would be a better fit for you since it would eliminate the need to check in for a table, and would also solve your "table not a booth" problem once you got the maître d' to assign you a table the first day. 

Last time some one told me when I HAD to eat, I was in Viet Nam un the service. Since then I eat when I feel like and my DW agrees.

I wasn't trying to be 'cute' but this is what I tell most people when asked why we don't do regular seating on cruises.

Cheers 

Len

I thought I wasn't going to like using the app for so many things but got used to it pretty quick. I always pick YTD and like checking in ahead of time. Never had a problem getting a table for two. As for the menus, we had no problem getting paper ones. The first night I forgot my glasses and couldn't read my phone so asked for one and got it in less than a minute. The staff seemed to have no problem with doing this and brought us one every night that we ate in the MDR (we requested the same servers each night).

Really, we are happy that most seem to enjoy using the App. Maybe we will also if we cruise on Carnival again.

I know that several said that they don't mind not getting the bulletin every day. That may be fine for the ship, but for some reason we always have saved most of the dailies from all our cruises and we like to look back on them and see what we did during a lot of our cruises. Just something you can't do with the App. (Or, I think you can't)

Cheers

Len

18 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

So did you stop requesting a table on your phone in order to be seated in the same section of the MDR each night to have the same servers?

That's what we did.  On a recent Journeys cruise we had the same wait staff team for at least 12 of the 14 days.

For those who want a booth vs table (or vice versa) for YTD, I would skip online check-in and ask at the hostess stand for exactly what you want.  You might have to wait a few minutes, but they will be able to accommodate you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

No, still had to register for a table each night to get the message when the table was ready. Once we got to the MDR we showed them the table number so they could cancel it, then they seated us at the table we had requested. Only once was it already taken, we were still able to get our favorite waiters, just at a different table.

8 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

No, still had to register for a table each night to get the message when the table was ready. Once we got to the MDR we showed them the table number so they could cancel it, then they seated us at the table we had requested. Only once was it already taken, we were still able to get our favorite waiters, just at a different table.

Thanks

Edited by sanmarcosman

We actually love using the app.  It is so great to be able to request a table on the app from our room and have it ready by the time we get to the dining room.  On our cruise back in September we also booked an excursion.  Also love being able to see the full week's menu on the app, as well as the activities for the full week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We actually love using the app.  It is so great to be able to request a table on the app from our room and have it ready by the time we get to the dining room.  On our cruise back in September we also booked an excursion.  Also love being able to see the full week's menu on the app, as well as the activities for the full week.

Same here for us - especially being able to see menus for the full week.  Just returned from Glory this morning - first for us since the restart.  We were already accustomed to checking in for a table since we did that pre COVID on several cruises.  Our experience was opposite of the OP - we had one of those small tables only about 6” away from those next to us every night.  Would have preferred the booth, but we were just glad to be back. Don’t get me wrong - I miss being able to turn off my phone on day 1, lock it in the safe, and not look at it again until debark day.  But this new way of doing things via the app is here to stay.

On 12/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Last time some one told me when I HAD to eat, I was in Viet Nam un the service. Since then I eat when I feel like and my DW agrees.

I wasn't trying to be 'cute' but this is what I tell most people when asked why we don't do regular seating on cruises.

Cheers 

Len

Your choice. You didn't like having the check in for a table, and wanted a certain type of table, so I suggested a way to accomplish that. If you dislike dining at a specific time more than you dislike having to check in for a table and the risk getting a booth, then stick with what you are doing. 

I totally enjoyed using the App for every thing, you can also view and order your formal/elegant night photos from the App as well. I found the daily sheet on the atrium bar as well. Note that you should use the App to reserve any types of specialty dinings and even brunch in the mornings. 

Fred

We did not enjoy the App.  We own, but do not routinely carry or depend on a cell phone on land or sea.  We are moderately tech savvy and can navigate programs and apps with little to no assistance.  We do not have a QR reader on our phone and will not install one, so we could not see any of the drink or dining menus even if we did carry the phone with us.  The only printed drink menus easily found were Red Frog and Blue Iguana.  All the other bars relied on QR menus.  We were unable to be seated at the MDR breakfast or brunch because the check in phone procedure is mandatory and we did not have the required table number to be seated.  Thankfully, we chose the set time dining and were able to be seated for dinner.  We memorized our dinner selections before we were seated and ordered.  The extensive push to carry and use an app turned relaxing meals into subpar or nonexistent experiences.  We will pass on the opportunity to become volunteer admin staff for CCL on vacation, all the while supplying the hardware and phone plans to benefit the corporate entity.  One possible solution, if paper is the issue, is to mount a tablet in the stateroom, dining tables, and bars so vacationers can easily view and use them.

19 minutes ago, Tradestock said:

We did not enjoy the App.  We own, but do not routinely carry or depend on a cell phone on land or sea.  We are moderately tech savvy and can navigate programs and apps with little to no assistance.  We do not have a QR reader on our phone and will not install one, so we could not see any of the drink or dining menus even if we did carry the phone with us.  The only printed drink menus easily found were Red Frog and Blue Iguana.  All the other bars relied on QR menus.  We were unable to be seated at the MDR breakfast or brunch because the check in phone procedure is mandatory and we did not have the required table number to be seated.  Thankfully, we chose the set time dining and were able to be seated for dinner.  We memorized our dinner selections before we were seated and ordered.  The extensive push to carry and use an app turned relaxing meals into subpar or nonexistent experiences.  We will pass on the opportunity to become volunteer admin staff for CCL on vacation, all the while supplying the hardware and phone plans to benefit the corporate entity.  One possible solution, if paper is the issue, is to mount a tablet in the stateroom, dining tables, and bars so vacationers can easily view and use them.

We had the problem with QR codes on our September cruise since we have security on our phones that does not allow web pages or files from unsecured connections. The WiFi on the ship is unsecured. But we later found that with the app, which our security does allow, you can view the menus through the app. We hated the app the first cruise, but after playing with it a bit and finding what all it has and where to find it we are OK with it. My recommendation is to take some time to explore and get comfortable with the app and life will be good.