Dinner in Windjammer: is it based on capacity per-sailing or once they open on one sailing, they are open for good?

I was on a Navigator sailing late November and the Windjammer was not open for dinner because we didn't meet the capacity threshold (60%?). In the app I see the Windjammer IS open for dinner for the current Christmas sailing, which I've heard had many more passengers than previous sailings, so this makes sense. However, I see that the next 5 sailings ALSO list the Windjammer as open for dinner even though I doubt they all pass the 60% threshold.

I've always thought that the status of dinner in the Windjammer was on a per-sailing basis based on capacity, but now I'm wondering if once they open for dinner for one sailing, it is open for dinner from then on on that ship on following sailings. Does anyone have any insight on how it works based on other ships? Or am I reading too much into what the app says?

Edited by marjoriemcdonaldd11

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no idea but it seems like having it open for dinner would have the benefit of helping to spread people out.

my husband put this very thought on the survey at the end of our Adventure cruise last month.  I hated the MDR at dinner.  Lines, disorganized, long wait for food...  In 10 days (b2b) we went 2x.  We did the specialty restaurants, johnny rockets and pizza.  I wish i had pictures of formal nights with lines and people pressed against each other.  Meanwhile the unvaccinated area was empty.  Why they couldn't have split that up was baffling.  I just found out on the Grandeur tomorrow Windjammer also not open for dinner.  So we will have to get food late on islands as Windjammer closes at 3 and dinner at 630.  Oh well.  

• Like 2

I am still on the fence about cancelling our Jan 8 Enchantment cruise for this very reason. 

A few days ago, the app showed windjammer open for breakfast and lunch only.  

We just got off the Allure, where there are many dining options for evening, yet the dining room was table  to table,  long lines, chaos and the food has really gone downhill IMHO 

I can only  imagine the chaos and close contact on the Enchantment if the windjammer isn't available and everyone has to go to the dining room for dinner since there are no other options except Chops

I just noticed today that the app is showing Windjammer for dinner. So who knows what will be the situation after we board???

Thankful for the "cruise with confidence"  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

Last week I was told it is will be open for cruises over 60% capacity

10 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I was also told 60% in October.

However, once enough crew has been brought aboard to staff the Windjammer and it opens for dinner, does it make sense to then shut it down if the booking level falls below 60%. Staff is already on board and there is the health and safety benefit of spreading people out..... unless health and safety are not as big of a concern as RCI is making it out to be.🤔

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, riviera said:

I am still on the fence about cancelling our Jan 8 Enchantment cruise for this very reason. 

A few days ago, the app showed windjammer open for breakfast and lunch only.  

We just got off the Allure, where there are many dining options for evening, yet the dining room was table  to table,  long lines, chaos and the food has really gone downhill IMHO 

I can only  imagine the chaos and close contact on the Enchantment if the windjammer isn't available and everyone has to go to the dining room for dinner since there are no other options except Chops

I just noticed today that the app is showing Windjammer for dinner. So who knows what will be the situation after we board???

Thankful for the "cruise with confidence"  

I find it hard to get excited about a January cruise at this time. I have no idea presently if I'll actually go or not.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:04 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I find it hard to get excited about a January cruise at this time. I have no idea presently if I'll actually go or not.

I'm excited and looking forward to my Navigator cruise Jan 17th....It's from my home port, it's my birthday and in a GS with an UpBid that looks really possible....So yeah....I'm excited !!!

• Like 2

On Harmony last month our first week of our b2b had about 2400 passengers which is below 50% and WJ was open for dinner.  I haven't seen any posts about it being closed for over a month now so it appears it's open regardless.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1