Explorer of the Seas - Positive Cases

Bfsroyal

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

RCI is having a hard enough time just staffing its ships.

They can also use the local company that functions as their port agent, or fly someone over from corporate.  Considering that they have a responsibility to quarantine those infected, unlikely quarantine will be followed if no over site/ monitoring.

@Bfsroyal let me just say, for anyone who is following this or just checking random posts, your humility and calm through all of this is absolutely wonderful. While countless other folks in the same situation would be yelling at everyone from the RCCL reps to the hotel staff, you are making the most of a tough situation and keeping current and future Cruise Critic members up-to-speed on the whole thing. Maybe it is just that British mentality of "always look on the bright side of life," but you are a gem and I wish you and your partner well and a quick return home.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, nocl said:

They can also use the local company that functions as their port agent, or fly someone over from corporate.  Considering that they have a responsibility to quarantine those infected, unlikely quarantine will be followed if no over site/ monitoring.

I was sort of making a joke.

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

Wow what an absolute mess... I am not looking forward to whatever type of cluster is awaiting us come Sunday morning in San Juan..

With quite a few San Juan ports of call dropped this week it does seem the Health Department is really taking note of cruise ships. Royal Caribbean had passed on my details to the health department as required and they followed up with me with calls on Tuesday and today.

My partner received an email to tell him to isolate based on his seat position on the plane to San Juan which was beside me. No doubt passengers around me also got the email to quarantine for 14 days from the date of the email (11th January). The health officer on my case has said he doesn’t need to quarantine now and to disregard the other email. He then received a new email with 8th January date. So we are trying to clarify that date for certain.

So in a way even the PR health department is somewhat giving out different dates and advice for the same situation.

Having said that on arrival to San Juan on 17th December I was very impressed at how they were handling those entering the country they seemed very well resourced - we had a green qr code though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coldweather said:

Do you have flights to home booked?  Is Royal paying for change fees or change in airfare? Hang in there and thanks again for sharing your experience. 

We were able to move our flights to Madrid until the 10th January for free. We are however worried we might not be able to use them anyway due to me testing positive and my partner being in contact with a positive case (me) within x days so may not be granted travel to Spain as we aren’t residents or EU citizens.

Plus if we can leave on 5th then we want to fly home ASAP and Iberia the only airline to fly to Europe from San Juan doesn’t have availablity earlier. So routing via USA and to UK from there seems the least hassle in terms of potentially hitting pitfalls as well as saving on the hotel costs to Royal who seem to think we will need 14 full nights here anyway at least.

I don’t think Royal are discussing flights just yet as likely that won’t become a factor until we are able to travel which will require a negative antigen test (which they cover)

The worrying bit is we legally have to do a PCR test on returning home to the UK. If this is positive (which could still happen weeks or months after the original test) then I have to carry out self isolation at home in the UK for another 10 days (due to my region). There doesn’t seem to be a way round this aspect even though I have already will have completed a full 10 day quarantine in San Juan.

• Thanks 3

On 12/25/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bfsroyal said:

An update. When posting this yesterday I didn’t think that I would be becoming one of these stats.

We in the UK are able to obtain free antigen tests from the NHS. So in general I have been testing 2-3 times a week and on this and our past cruises have always brought some along with us to test along the way. We did our required monitored test to enter San Juan, one before boarding, one on day three. All came back negative.

As we intended to fly back via Madrid we wouldn’t have required an official test to get to Madrid. We even yesterday changed our flights so we could fly to Madrid on 26th December as it was free with the current situation to get home a little earlier.

This morning we took a test each as we weren’t sure we would have to pay for an onboard test if it wasn’t a requirement to travel to Spain. Mine came back positive. My partners negative. I then did a second, and again this came back positive.

We contacted the medical center and informed them, and the nurse arrived within 10 minutes to take a PCR test of me and my partner and informed us that the results should come back in about 40 mins. About an hour later he called us to inform us that I had tested positive and my partner was negative.

We currently are confined to our stateroom awaiting updates.

The compliance with protocols such as mask wearing, hand sanitisation and hand washing at the buffet has been very good and we have not as such been in close contact with anyone that long other than possibly dinner with guests next to us or in the theatre but fully masked.

With the delay in Barbados there was a lot of people at the terminal outside, but again everyone was wearing their masks.

We both have been pretty much together throughout the cruise so surprised we both haven’t tested positive at this stage.

Sorry to hear about the positive test 😔

Especially since you've been careful and are fully boosterd. 

I hope the symptoms are all mild for you and your partner doesn't catch it too.

Hopefully Royal Caribbean will look after you well and get you home ASAP

• Thanks 1

Some positive news for myself and Royal Caribbean. The health department has confirmed last night that they are implementing the new CDC guidance in Puerto Rico.

So I can leave isolation from tomorrow!

Edited by Bfsroyal
  • Like 16

4 minutes ago, Bfsroyal said:

Some positive news for myself and Royal Caribbean. The health department has confirmed last night that they are implementing the new CDC guidance in Puerto Rico.

Wonderful!  Have you asked RCI to help you with a flight home?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Wonderful!  Have you asked RCI to help you with a flight home?

We are about to call the care team.

We do both need to test negative on an antigen test to fly to the UK. Technically we can fly to the US tomorrow. This might be a better option for Royal as if we need to further wait before a flight home the hotels might be substantially cheaper and testing might be cheaper as well. From Google the shelf rate is $350 a night for where we are currently staying.

Flying back to the UK from San Juan will be a three leg trip and generally buying the SJU > US and then US > UK legs with separate airlines actually seems to be much cheaper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bfsroyal said:

That is good news!  

Edited by irishgal432
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s great news to be out of isolation. I would certainly try to push for the flights via the US as it would be much quicker for you both. I’m sure you’re both anxious to get home. Hopefully the tests will be negative and you’ll be on your way. Keep us posted. Good luck!!!

• Like 2

So the care team are trying to get details of the testing provider in San Juan if they have one. I presume it will likely be the company they use for embarkation testing at port. They also said we can obtain our own test and be reimbursed.

They also are going to send through a two page list of expenses we can claim which they thought we should have been given already on leaving the ship. This also details about costs they will reimburse in relation to return travel. If I receive this will post to the board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Unfortunately it’s not quite freedom to go outside yet!

We thought we would give a courtesy call to reception this morning to let them know that we are no longer required to isolate by the PR health department and may exit the hotel. They have asked we get Royal to send confirmation to the hotel. So we are holding off going outside until Royal can confirm to the hotel or the PR health department send through a letter of confirmation of that my isolation period.

We don’t want to rock the boat - as the driver who brought us here seems to be the one co-ordinating things on the ground, seemed stressed out and pleaded with us to follow the rules after explaining why we were being moved because some were not following the rules.

We don’t want the hotel to think the same and take issue with any remaining or future guests so we are holding tight on going outside for now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Bfsroyal said:

Unfortunately it’s not quite freedom to go outside yet!

We thought we would give a courtesy call to reception this morning to let them know that we are no longer required to isolate by the PR health department and may exit the hotel. They have asked we get Royal to send confirmation to the hotel. So we are holding off going outside until Royal can confirm to the hotel or the PR health department send through a letter of confirmation of that my isolation period.

We don’t want to rock the boat - as the driver who brought us here seems to be the one co-ordinating things on the ground, seemed stressed out and pleaded with us to follow the rules after explaining why we were being moved because some were not following the rules.

We don’t want the hotel to think the same and take issue with any remaining or future guests so we are holding tight on going outside for now.

After coming this far, following the process and rolling with the changes as they happened, that makes complete sense! You both have been the model cruisers as you faced the unknown, and have our respect and thanks for sharing your story with us. We're avid cruisers with 6 booked this year and more to come. Sometimes I worry we aren't being realists when it comes to the risk of testing positive, and I've wondered what that might mean. I feel guilty for saying this, but having the opportunity to "share" your experience has been eye opening and really beneficial.  I'm so sorry you have had to endure the experience, but I can't say how helpful this has been for us readers.  Thank you again!

I look forward to the next post - hopefully titled "FREEDOM!" 🙂

• Like 5

I am in utter amazement at how graceful you and your partner have been throughout this entire ordeal. You have remained calm, considerate and deliberate at every unexpected turn. Thank you for such a thorough walk through of your experiences with us. I really hope that you both get home safely and also wish you a happy new year.

I am scheduled to cruise out of PR on EOTS on January 16, and believe my best bet is to cancel. My mind is 75% made to do so. 

• Like 3