Explorer of the Seas - Positive Cases

Bfsroyal

5 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

Do you have a confirmed departure from the hotel in PR yet - are you still in the Dorado Hilton?

Freedom from the hotel should be in just over 2 hours. Apparently we can’t use the normal elevator and have to use a service elevator and have someone open a gate for us to exit.

I should point out that the Care line had also reported to us that some airlines were turning passengers away at the airport a day or two ago.

We rang a specific airline in our search to find out policies as each airline seems to have varying policies, which likewise are changing regularly and sometimes affected by the origin and the destination. They also said that they were aware of people being turned away at the airport. 

We have been able to get our original test results from the ship as well as a letter from the PR health department confirming the isolation period that was required is now over. So we hope there shouldn’t be any issues at the airport.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bfsroyal said:

Freedom from the hotel should be in just over 2 hours. Apparently we can’t use the normal elevator and have to use a service elevator and have someone open a gate for us to exit.

I should point out that the Care line had also reported to us that some airlines were turning passengers away at the airport a day or two ago.

We rang a specific airline in our search to find out policies as each airline seems to have varying policies, which likewise are changing regularly and sometimes affected by the origin and the destination. They also said that they were aware of people being turned away at the airport. 

We have been able to get our original test results from the ship as well as a letter from the PR health department confirming the isolation period that was required is now over. So we hope there shouldn’t be any issues at the airport.

Wow, you're still at the hotel. Best wishes to you on freedom day and hope for plain sailing on all your travels home. Thanks for your calm, measured, factual report 

Safe travels 🙏 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Are you headed to Orlando or home?  Best wishes to you!

Orlando it was the cheapest direct flight to the US mainland we could find - it also had quite good availability back to the UK  as well at constant pricing over the next week so will then get tested there and depending on the results either spend some more time there and then fly home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some departure drama. We called reception as we were informed the previous evening we would have to exit via the service elevator and there was a gate that had to be opened. I think this is as they have fully isolated the floor so other guests can’t access it.

Reception told us we couldn’t leave and had to stay in our room. My partner informed them that our isolation finished days ago and RC had emailed the hotel to confirm. Reception still were saying we were required to remain in our room and hung up.

We then decided we better try and leave as it might take a while if there was no access to lifts. We tried the normal elevators first as we thought there was going to be gates. They didn’t seem to be operational. The door to the service elevator was open so we went through to it and then down to the ground. There was a delivery in progress so the door and gate - not even sure if there was one - was open.

We ordered an uber and headed to the airport. We are currently at the airport waiting for our flight. There was no issues checking in.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bfsroyal said:

Some departure drama. We called reception as we were informed the previous evening we would have to exit via the service elevator and there was a gate that had to be opened. I think this is as they have fully isolated the floor so other guests can’t access it.

Reception told us we couldn’t leave and had to stay in our room. My partner informed them that our isolation finished days ago and RC had emailed the hotel to confirm. Reception still were saying we were required to remain in our room and hung up.

We then decided we better try and leave as it might take a while if there was no access to lifts. We tried the normal elevators first as we thought there was going to be gates. They didn’t seem to be operational. The door to the service elevator was open so we went through to it and then down to the ground. There was a delivery in progress so the door and gate - not even sure if there was one - was open.

We ordered an uber and headed to the airport. We are currently at the airport waiting for our flight. There was no issues checking in.

You absolutely did the right thing!  What a nightmare this has been, truly.  I know you will breathe a sigh of relief once you are in the air.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

You absolutely did the right thing!  What a nightmare this has been, truly.  I know you will breathe a sigh of relief once you are in the air.

Yes my partner is somewhat acting like he is a fugitive on the run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

27 minutes ago, Bfsroyal said:

Wow. You would think the hotel would want to get you out as soon as possible. The issue that jumped out at me is fire safety. Hotels are required to inform guests of the nearest escape routes. Hmmmm 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, kelitino said:

Wow. You would think the hotel would want to get you out as soon as possible. The issue that jumped out at me is fire safety. Hotels are required to inform guests of the nearest escape routes. Hmmmm 

That was the last resort if we couldn’t get into the lift - it was to the fire exit. Although it was 8 flights down with luggage. Very slow fugitives.

Id also reviewed the back of door floor plan for all possible eventualities

Edited by Bfsroyal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

That was the last resort if we couldn’t get into the lift - it was to the fire exit. Although it was 8 flights down with luggage. Very slow fugitives.

It probably would have set off alarms, too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bfsroyal said:

Id also reviewed the back of door floor plan for all possible eventualities

Once this is all done and you are home, you need to contact a major film studio.  You have a perfect movie script in the making - and given the interest in COVID I'm sure it will be snapped up immediately!

Now, the next question is - who will play you and the fugitive partner! 😎 

• Like 3

Thank you @bfsroyal for sharing your story.  I have been following since the beginning and I await the completion of your return home.  I am very glad that you and your partner are feeling well.

I had to go back to the beginning of this thread to remind myself that this all started on Christmas Day.  That seems so long ago. Hang in there. Looking forward to your report that you have arrived in Orlando.   

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, zpdw484 said:

Onboard now and my advice is to cancel and wait for a better time. We had our 2nd rendezvous with Rhapsody this evening to dump off positive crew members... Cruising is just an absolute mess right now.. and dealing with Puerto Rico flights, ever-changing protocols in and out of San juan, etc just makes it that much more stressful..

@zpdw484 we are scheduled to be on Explorer on 1/16 and I am following your comments closely to see what your take is being onboard now. I know that the cruise lines went through a rough spell with the Christmas and New Year's cruises, my thought was maybe the two weeks after would allow for recovery. We're going to make a call next week on whether we cancel our trip, but are still holding out hope.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Splake said:

@zpdw484 we are scheduled to be on Explorer on 1/16 and I am following your comments closely to see what your take is being onboard now. I know that the cruise lines went through a rough spell with the Christmas and New Year's cruises, my thought was maybe the two weeks after would allow for recovery. We're going to make a call next week on whether we cancel our trip, but are still holding out hope.

I'm in the exact same boat and following the same thought process and plan.  Looking forward to hearing as much as possible from people currently on-board (good and bad).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kelitino said:

I'm in the exact same boat and following the same thought process and plan.  Looking forward to hearing as much as possible from people currently on-board (good and bad).

48 minutes ago, Splake said:

Check out post #17... https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2821611-anyone-on-the-exploerer-of-the-seas-right-now/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bfsroyal said:

Yes my partner is somewhat acting like he is a fugitive on the run.

Hope y’all get settled in Orlando soon and check I. With us! I have definitely been reading about your ordeal! Best wishes and happier new year! 

• Thanks 1

We have made it to Orlando.

Although our expectation that getting testing quickly was somewhat short lived. There is a shortage globally of antigen tests. 

The airport testing option wasn't taking walk-ins any more today. The queue was long and hundreds of people all in a group. Two other testing sites are not accepting bookings until 5th January.

We even went on a tour of about 5-6 CVS, Walgreens and other pharmacies to see if they have over the counter ones to see if it was worth even going for paid ones.

We are heading to another testing site tonight to see if they can do a walk in - although we may book for tomorrow so we can fly on Thursday.

At least hotels are now $100 rather than $350 a night. Secretly I wouldn’t mind spending some time in Orlando. But the other half is stressing out about getting back to work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We have made it to Orlando.

At least hotels are now $100 rather than $350 a night. Secretly I wouldn’t mind spending some time in Orlando. But the other half is stressing out about getting back to work.

IF we go on our Feb cruise, I think we may take our work computers with us, just in case we have to be quarantined.  DH is super stressed about - what if we catch it and have to quarantine!  I can’t miss that much work!

hopefully you can find a test and fly home soon 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Splake said:

I don't want to talk anyone out of going on their cruise. I just think people need to be aware of the current situation (which is obviously changing day to day)  With the right mindset I am sure you will have a great time if you decide to go. The one thing I would definitely keep an eye on is the changes to entry into Puerto Rico upon disembarking. Rumor is this is supposed to change on the 16th. At this point in time there is no way I would be ok with a negative test result being required before being allowed to disembark in Puerto Rico at the end of the cruise.  The potential of testing positive at the end of the week is just too high in my opinion from what I seen last week and no one wants to be quarantined in Puerto Rico..

We had a good time last week. We honestly did, but after dealing with all the pre cruise stress, the overbearing onboard protocols, watching the poor crew members being shuffled to the quarantine ship, watching the remaining crew members being worked to death, Puerto Rico changing requirements on the fly, etc for a week it was just too much for us to want to do it again till things change. It's hard for me to admit because I have always been a die hard cruising fanatic but Spending the last two days in San Juan has just reinforced in our minds that during the covid era land trips are just easier, less stressful and all around better. None of this is a knock against Royal Caribbean at all. They are doing the best they can.  Cruising at the moment is just a difficult balancing act for them. The industry is just not suited to excel during a pandemic no matter how hard they try.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zpdw484 said:

I don't want to talk anyone out of going on their cruise. I just think people need to be aware of the current situation (which is obviously changing day to day)  With the right mindset I am sure you will have a great time if you decide to go. The one thing I would definitely keep an eye on is the changes to entry into Puerto Rico upon disembarking. Rumor is this is supposed to change on the 16th. At this point in time there is no way I would be ok with a negative test result being required before being allowed to disembark in Puerto Rico at the end of the cruise.  The potential of testing positive at the end of the week is just too high in my opinion from what I seen last week and no one wants to be quarantined in Puerto Rico..

We had a good time last week. We honestly did, but after dealing with all the pre cruise stress, the overbearing onboard protocols, watching the poor crew members being shuffled to the quarantine ship, watching the remaining crew members being worked to death, Puerto Rico changing requirements on the fly, etc for a week it was just too much for us to want to do it again till things change. It's hard for me to admit because I have always been a die hard cruising fanatic but Spending the last two days in San Juan has just reinforced in our minds that during the covid era land trips are just easier, less stressful and all around better. None of this is a knock against Royal Caribbean at all. They are doing the best they can.  Cruising at the moment is just a difficult balancing act for them. The industry is just not suited to excel during a pandemic no matter how hard they try.

In your opinion, do you think you might have found cruising from the mainland U.S. less stressful? I'm just trying to get a handle on what to do about a Jan 22 sailing.

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

In your opinion, do you think you might have found cruising from the mainland U.S. less stressful? I'm just trying to get a handle on what to do about a Jan 22 sailing.

Absolutely.. San Juan is without a doubt our favorite port to sail from  but it definitely made things much more stressful this go around. When we booked this trip back in May we were hoping covid would not be such an ordeal by this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm under the impression that even with the January 16 policy changes, disembarking U.S. citizens who fly back to the U.S. right away, without a post-cruise extension, will NOT be required to undergo testing. I hope I've got that right! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MindyJohn said:

I'm under the impression that even with the January 16 policy changes, disembarking U.S. citizens who fly back to the U.S. right away, without a post-cruise extension, will NOT be required to undergo testing. I hope I've got that right! 

What is considered "right away".. same day? within 48 hours? 

16 minutes ago, igooutsidesometimes said:

What is considered "right away".. same day? within 48 hours? 

I believe it's same day - no overnight.  If I locate the place where I read it, I'll come back and verify.

To @BfsroyalBravo and good luck to you and your partner!  You've been so calm, cool and collected throughout and I hope you find a test spot soon!   You sure didn't know what was around the corner when you began this trip!!!  Can't wait for your "Home sweet home" post!

Edited by MindyJohn
  • Like 2