A few days near Anchorage prior to cruise...what to do?

Mountaineer0313

We're sailing this September 9-16 on the Millennium, southbound out of Seward. I want to fly into Anchorage on the 6th, to give us a few days before we get on the cruise. Thinking maybe driving north to Denali. In 2018, we stayed at the Alyeska for 2 days after our cruise, so this time I want to go a little further north from Anchorage. Need suggestions on what to do and where to stay. Does not have to be all the way to Denali, but I would like to see more of the interior instead of the Kenai peninsula like last time. I'm also not opposed to heading to Seward a day early and doing a Major Marine Tour.

The drive north of Anchorage should be beautiful with the autumn foliage, and perhaps even a dusting of snow. Services around Denali will be limited, after Labor Day. If you went as far as Talkeetna, you should see some nice scenery-maybe even Denali, if the weather U.S. clear.

• Like 1

A Kenai Fjords tour is well worth considering.  Unsure what would be available near the National Park, but the drive there ought to be scenic.  Hotel accommodations at Denali range from excellent/very good to very basic.  If one would get there, go a bit further to Healy.  It's a bit of Alaska that tourists often don't see.  

Don't overlook Anchorage itself.  There are worthwhile attractions in and near the city.  It's not "just another city".  

Just a few random comments --

Regarding Denali area some of the businesses will start to close sometime around or after Labor Day with a few holdouts closing around the time of the annual road lottery (a lottery which provides private vehicle access to the single park road).  I am assuming our OP is planning a trip in 2022 so the single park road will be closed at the Pretty Rocks area.  Unless there is a miracle the Pretty Rocks area will not be bridged in 2022.

Also regarding possible views of Denali itself, there are several scenic viewpoints on the George Parks Highway north of Mary's McKinley View Lodge which is north of the Princess McKinley View Lodge.

In addition to @SightCRR's comments, the Independence Mine State Historical Park is located in the general Palmer area.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places.  The nearby Hatcher Pass Lodge status is unclear to me as the longtime owner died several months ago.

Another consideration which is out of the general Anchorage area is a visit to the Kennecott and McCarthy area.  The Kennecott mines are a National Historic Landmark and are located in the Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park.

Yet another consideration is a trip to Valdez.  Thompson Pass is beautiful.  And there are options for boat excursions to the Columbia Glacier.

So several options to consider and research.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We stayed in the Palmer area for 4 nights before our cruise.  We opted not to drive all the way to Denali as I read that it is not always visible due to clouds.  We drove to Talkeetna.  Also visited Hatcher Pass and the Matanuska Glacier.

4 hours ago, cruisn43 said:

......  We opted not to drive all the way to Denali as I read that it is not always visible due to clouds.  We drove to Talkeetna.  .....

Just to expand slightly on this post, for those who want to try to actually see Denali but don't want to spend time at Denali National Park there are some view points on the George Parks Highway just north of Mary's McKinley View Lodge; these view points have picnic tables, vault toilets and interpretative signage.   And the cafe at the lodge offers a great view when the mountain is visible.

6 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

If you’re willing to head south, I highly recommend the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood and the William’s Reindeer Farm in Palmer. 

Hi, we will be staying in Girdwood one night on our way to Seward. Is the Wildlife Center located between Girdwood and Seward or between Anchorage and Girdwood? Not sure whether to visit it before or after our Girdwood stay. And would we neeed to reserve a half or full day for the visit?

4 hours ago, gilliansp said:

Hi, we will be staying in Girdwood one night on our way to Seward. Is the Wildlife Center located between Girdwood and Seward or between Anchorage and Girdwood? Not sure whether to visit it before or after our Girdwood stay. And would we neeed to reserve a half or full day for the visit?

Honestly, I’m not too sure about location. I just know it’s at mile 79 on the Seward highway in Girdwood. No need to reserve, but I think we spent maybe 2 hours there. Definitely leaves plenty of time to do other activities. 

6 hours ago, gilliansp said:

The Wildlife Conservation Center is about 15 minutes south of Girdwood towards Seward.  Another option, in addition to the Conservation Center, is the Spencer Glacier Float.

https://alaskanrafting.com/product/spencer-iceberg-placer-river-float/

You begin the float after getting off at the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop and a short drive to the lake before being paddles around the bergs.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/spencer-glacier-whistle-stop

You could visit the Conservation Center which usually only takes a couple hours and then catch the train at the Portage Station about 2 miles north of the Center at 1:25pm. The train returns at 5:15pm and then you can continue on to Seward.  It’s an exceptional excursion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

Honestly, I’m not too sure about location. I just know it’s at mile 79 on the Seward highway in Girdwood. No need to reserve, but I think we spent maybe 2 hours there. Definitely leaves plenty of time to do other activities. 

Thanks fo the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Three things to do right in Anchorage:  one of the best museums ever, the largest multi-level shopping mall, with many shops not in mainland American malls, and -- walking -- all the way from the water to miles up the main street of Anchorage.  Don't remember being so tired -- it was wonderful

And -- my favorite restaurant in the world  THE GLACIER BREWHOUSE.

Loved Anchorage.

• Like 1