Firestick

antsp

Firestick will not work, because it can't connect to wifi or ethernet on the ship. Following is the procedure I used to stream on my recent Regal Princess cruise using a lightning to HDMI adapter on my iPhone and a long cable. Didn't work on the Majestic.

Regal Princess TV setup

Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.

Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

Edited by billco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billco said:

Firestick will not work, because it can't connect to wifi or ethernet on the ship.

You could probably get the firestick to work by:

Turn on the firestick, go into settings, and copy the MAC address

Turn off the firestick.

Using an appropriate phone, spoof the firestick address.

Log the phone into the network.

Turn the phone off.

The firestick should now connect to the network.

But, why bother?

Just use a phone or tablet that has HDMI out and connect to the TV

(Or possibly cast to the tv.)

All of the new samsung phones and tablets which support DEX support hdmi out...

• Thanks 1

Guess I am old fashioned but one of the things i love about being on a cruise is getting away from all the non stop blah blah on TV as well as non stop bad news on the internet and/or phone.

I have watched quite enough TV and spent way too much time online especially over last two years....please give me a nice teak deck chair, a library with good books, a nice wrap around walking deck, turn off the volume or require headphones on the big screens and just let me enjoy a bit of peace and quiet and i am a happy camper.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, billco said:

Firestick will not work, because it can't connect to wifi or ethernet on the ship. Following is the procedure I used to stream on my recent Regal Princess cruise using a lightning to HDMI adapter on my iPhone and a long cable. Didn't work on the Majestic.

Regal Princess TV setup

Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.

Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

Thanks for this.  We will be on Regal for 25 days in OCT.  I wonder if not working if the tech people on board would set the HDMI open until end of voyage and then set it back to locked.  All they can do is say "No" if a particular ship doesn't work.  Hope Regal stays working.  (PS - My fingers won't allow me to dial MSNBC - LOL).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billco said:

Regal Princess TV setup

Sounds like too much work for a vacation. 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Sounds like too much work for a vacation. 🤪

Maybe for the first couple attempts, but then easy peasy from then on. But, since I have been retired for almost 30 years I don't really consider a cruise a vacation, but just an extension of my normal life, which includes quite a bit of internet and TV entertainment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dockman said:

Guess I am old fashioned but one of the things i love about being on a cruise is getting away from all the non stop blah blah on TV as well as non stop bad news on the internet and/or phone.

I have watched quite enough TV and spent way too much time online especially over last two years

But, that's your choice.

Anthony Burgess won't be on board duct-taping you to a chair, propping your eyelids open with toothpicks,

and forcing you to watch TV.

I recall in the 'old days', ships would often show movies in the afternoon.

Those were generally well attended. 

This is just the updated version ... but with people are picking their own programming.

Even now, people ask what movies will be on MUTS...

6 hours ago, dockman said:

I have watched quite enough TV and spent way too much time online especially over last two years....please give me a nice teak deck chair, a library with good books, a nice wrap around walking deck

Sounds nice.

Not really happening any more on princess.

None of the things you mentioned generate any revenue.

Edited by Roberto256

• 1 year later...

Ok...first of all....do not quit trying to hook up Amazon fire tv to the Princess tv

Why ? Because all you need to do is Request an engineer to assist in hooking it up!!

If you are sailing on the Grand Princess, you can do it yourself...but on Ruby, Crown, and Emerald...you will need the engineer to help...I have yet to meet an engineer who said no way ...they love to jailbreak as much as we do

Stop whimpering and call the frontdesk!!