A Canadian takes on a S2B2B on Oasis 1/2/22, Odyssey 1/9/22 & 1/15/22 (hopefully)

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

Call me crazy but if I was worried about testing positive before flying to Canada I would not be eating out in restaurants. With incubation as short as 2 days exposure today and positive by Friday. 

This is exactly why we have been lying relatively low even though we are technically allowed out of the hotel. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

Hi Jessy,

Edit to add this is for land crossing if you had chosen/choose to drive home, not for flying.

You can cross the land border with a positive test less than 11 days old and not be fined unless this changed since Dec. 24. You will just not have the fully vaccinated traveller exemption, which just means you have to isolate for 10 days. Close contacts travelling with you with negative tests will have to quarantine for 14 days. My wife tested positive on our Dec. 12 Anthem cruise. Myself and 2 boys tested negative. We drove down to NJ so we did not have to worry about flights coming back if we were positive. We crossed back into Canada the day we got off the ship (Dec. 24) and had no problems at the border other than we had to wait (about an hour) for public health to come speak with us and give us take home proctored tests. We all were given tests to do when we got home and myself and boys had to also complete a day 8 test. You still need to complete the ArriveCan app, which nobody actually looked at or scanned! If you do not complete the app, then you can be fined. The whole proctored tests through Switch Health seems like a rinky-dink operation and waste of funds, but that is for another day. We did not get our day 8 tests back until Jan 13&14. We did the tests on Dec. 31!! The rules do say that you can leave after your 14 days even if you do not have the tests back....makes no sense to me?? The government did call each of us individually twice within our quarantine period to ensure we were following the rules...again discussion for another day!

In the end, we all ended up positive through our day 1 (myself) and day 8 (boys) tests. We all had minor symptoms and are all well now. With our positive tests, we are exempt from needing a pre-entry test to get back into Canada for the next 180 days. Works for us as we have a Symphony cruise booked in March.

Thanks for the information!  We are just going to hold out until Monday.  We want to avoid quaranting at home if at all possible as our son lives with us and we do not have to have him to have to lock down too.

Was that switch test that you had the issue with the one you have to mail away?  The ones we bought are proctored but the test results is actually completed at home.

2 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Was that switch test that you had the issue with the one you have to mail away?  The ones we bought are proctored but the test results is actually completed at home.

Yes, they are picked up by Purolator.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, orangelime said:

You can drive across the border with a positive test and skip the quarantine. See the article in the Toronto Star. 
Tropic lockdown: my family vacation in quarantine

29 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

But you could be charged $5000/person if you have a positive test less than 11 days.  I believe the fine part is quite new.

27 minutes ago, orangelime said:

It does say that in the article - this lady was not fined though. 

I guess it depends on how much it would cost to quarantine in the States. 11 days can add up very quickly. 

Thanks for the information.  It would be a big hassle to fly to the closest airport to us and rent a car or have someone get us.  The closest US airport to us is Bangor ME which is a 3+ hour drive from Saint John and the weather is a nightmare right now (highways closed etc).  If we were footing the bill ourselves, it would probably change my outlook on things, but I think we are better off waiting until our flights on Monday.

• Like 6

Jessy, thank you so much for posting your very detailed report. You are going to be helping so many people with this thread. Im so sorry your vacation was cut short, and your family wasn't able to join you. In true Canadian spirit, 🇨🇦 it sounds like you are staying positive through a real negative experience. Good luck to you and your husband on your return.  

• Like 4

Assuming you cross the border with a negative test, you will probably be selected for the random Airport testing.  If that is the case, you will have to quarantine waiting for the test results, so expect to be stuck at home for another 10 days once you get back.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

Assuming you cross the border with a negative test, you will probably be selected for the random Airport testing.  If that is the case, you will have to quarantine waiting for the test results, so expect to be stuck at home for another 10 days once you get back.

Good Luck.

Agree. 

• Like 1

Jessy, out of curiosity, when you booked your room at the Embassy Suites did you do so online or did you call them? I'm wondering if you had to disclose that your husband has Covid and if so, did they have different protocols for your entry to the hotel? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Jessy, out of curiosity, when you booked your room at the Embassy Suites did you do so online or did you call them? I'm wondering if you had to disclose that your husband has Covid and if so, did they have different protocols for your entry to the hotel? 

I just sent booked it online via the Hilton app.  I was not asked for Covid status

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, emdia43 said:

What about housekeeping entering your room - are they not aware?

The hotel is not currenly offering housekeeping unless you request it and you need to do so 24rs in advance  We have opted not to have any housekeeping.  We just request towels etc when needed.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, OACAggie said:

With our positive tests, we are exempt from needing a pre-entry test to get back into Canada for the next 180 days. Works for us as we have a Symphony cruise booked in March.

That test result is the Holy Grail for Canadian travellers.  We had our PCR tests scheduled for Dec 29th...just before the govt shut down testing and now have our documented test results.  We are also good to go for March with no fears of having to quarantine when we return or having to pay extra for testing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That test result is the Holy Grail for Canadian travellers.  We had our PCR tests scheduled for Dec 29th...just before the govt shut down testing and now have our documented test results.  We are also good to go for March with no fears of having to quarantine when we return or having to pay extra for testing.

This is why I was kind of hoping I would test positive onboard too after Paul did.  Now of course I do not want to - I do not want the 11 days to start over again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ironically, it's almost better at this point to get COVID, have a positive result and recover as long as you travel within the 180 day period! Does that make any sense?!

• Like 5

Just now, JillK said:

Ironically, it's almost better at this point to get COVID, have a positive result and recover as long as you travel within the 180 day period! Does that make any sense?!

That's exactly how we feel.  After losing out on our Christmas trip because of Covid we did a happy dance after because of the positive test and how it positively impacted our future cruises. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

See you on the 12th!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JillK said:

Agreed. I do not want it, but there are advantages to get it even though I am double dosed and boosted. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JillK said:

Sadly, it makes absolute sense! A family member thought he had COVID and had a leftover switch test antigen test at home, and it came back positive. Told him he should line up to get an “official” test result so he can travel and get back home without the headaches!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The govt. shut down testing???

In Ontario they stopped testing unless you fell into a very narrow range of eligible people.  Their system was overwhelmed and they couldn't keep up with the demand for testing.  Basically told you if you had any symptoms treat it as Covid and isolate for 5 days.

Key changes include the following:

• Symptomatic testing will be available for high-risk individuals, and individuals who work in high-risk settings.
  • Individuals with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 are presumed positive and they should follow isolation and/or self-monitoring guidelines.
  • Testing for asymptomatic contacts of cases is generally no longer recommended, except for high-risk contacts/individuals that are part of confirmed or suspected outbreaks in high-risk settings, as recommended by public health.
  • Positive rapid antigen tests will no longer require PCR confirmation.
  • Based on the latest scientific evidence, individuals with COVID-19 should isolate for five days if they are fully vaccinated or under the age of 12, and if their symptoms are improving for at least 24 hours.

Eligible Groups for PCR Testing

Effective December 31, 2021, PCR testing will only be recommended for individuals if they belong to the following groups:

• Symptomatic people who fall into one of the following groups:
    • Hospitalized patients
    • Patients in Emergency Departments, at the discretion of the treating clinician
    • Patient-facing health care workers
    • Staff, residents, essential care providers, and visitors in hospitals and congregate living settings, including long-term care, retirement homes, First Nation elder care lodges, group homes, shelters, hospices, temporary foreign worker settings, and correctional institutions
    • Outpatients for whom COVID-19 treatment is being considered
    • Underhoused or homeless
  • People who are from First Nation, Inuit, and Métis communities and individuals travelling into these communities for work
  • Symptomatic elementary and secondary students and education staff who have received a PCR self-collection kit through their school
  • People on admission/transfer to or from hospital or congregate living setting
  • High-risk contacts and asymptomatic/symptomatic people in the context of confirmed or suspected outbreaks in high-risk settings, including hospitals, long-term care, retirement homes, other congregate living settings and institutions, and other settings as directed by the local public health unit
  • Individuals, and one accompanying caregiver, with written prior approval for out-of-country medical services from the General Manager, OHIP
  • Asymptomatic testing in hospital, long-term care, retirement homes and other congregate living settings and Institutions as per provincial guidance and/or Directives
Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In Ontario they stopped testing unless you fell into a very narrow range of eligible people.  Their system was overwhelmed and they couldn't keep up with the demand for testing.  Basically told you if you had any symptoms treat it as Covid and isolate for 5 days.

Key changes include the following:

• Symptomatic testing will be available for high-risk individuals, and individuals who work in high-risk settings.
  • Individuals with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 are presumed positive and they should follow isolation and/or self-monitoring guidelines.
  • Testing for asymptomatic contacts of cases is generally no longer recommended, except for high-risk contacts/individuals that are part of confirmed or suspected outbreaks in high-risk settings, as recommended by public health.
  • Positive rapid antigen tests will no longer require PCR confirmation.
  • Based on the latest scientific evidence, individuals with COVID-19 should isolate for five days if they are fully vaccinated or under the age of 12, and if their symptoms are improving for at least 24 hours.

Eligible Groups for PCR Testing

Effective December 31, 2021, PCR testing will only be recommended for individuals if they belong to the following groups:

• Symptomatic people who fall into one of the following groups:
    • Hospitalized patients
    • Patients in Emergency Departments, at the discretion of the treating clinician
    • Patient-facing health care workers
    • Staff, residents, essential care providers, and visitors in hospitals and congregate living settings, including long-term care, retirement homes, First Nation elder care lodges, group homes, shelters, hospices, temporary foreign worker settings, and correctional institutions
    • Outpatients for whom COVID-19 treatment is being considered
    • Underhoused or homeless
  • People who are from First Nation, Inuit, and Métis communities and individuals travelling into these communities for work
  • Symptomatic elementary and secondary students and education staff who have received a PCR self-collection kit through their school
  • People on admission/transfer to or from hospital or congregate living setting
  • High-risk contacts and asymptomatic/symptomatic people in the context of confirmed or suspected outbreaks in high-risk settings, including hospitals, long-term care, retirement homes, other congregate living settings and institutions, and other settings as directed by the local public health unit
  • Individuals, and one accompanying caregiver, with written prior approval for out-of-country medical services from the General Manager, OHIP
  • Asymptomatic testing in hospital, long-term care, retirement homes and other congregate living settings and Institutions as per provincial guidance and/or Directives

Thanks... very interesting

I have my positive test results and we were thinking about going back to Canada for a visit sometime in the spring. This makes it more likely.

Edited by Tree_skier

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Do you think they will someday eliminate these tests to get back?  

From reading here I understand driving to the US and flying from there is not even an option anymore with a positive test  less than 11 days old or risk possibly getting a 5k fine.  There went that option 😀

52 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

Do you think they will someday eliminate these tests to get back?  

From reading here I understand driving to the US and flying from there is not even an option anymore with a positive test  less than 11 days old or risk possibly getting a 5k fine.  There went that option 😀

There's no risk of a $5000 fine.  You can cross back into Canada with a recent positive test as long as you have a quarantine plan.  Had clients cross while positive 3 weeks ago.  No issues. 

The various lobby groups and travel associations are pushing hard for the rumination of the  pcr testing. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There's no risk of a $5000 fine.  You can cross back into Canada with a recent positive test as long as you have a quarantine plan.  Had clients cross while positive 3 weeks ago.  No issues. 

The various lobby groups and travel associations are pushing hard for the rumination of the  pcr testing. 

Good to know. Thought I had read the rules changed