Do I lose my insurance $ if I cancel? If NCL cancels the cruise?

Javajitterz

We are debating whether to cruise based upon the posts in this forum and other forums, not because of the CDC recommendation. If I cancel do we forfeit the amount we paid to NCL for insurance? If so many people cancel that NCL decides to scrub the entire cruise would we get the insurance money back?

We are due to sail on January 8th so I have a little time to decide, trying to gather all my facts so I can make an informed decision.

15 minutes ago, Javajitterz said:

We are debating whether to cruise based upon the posts in this forum and other forums, not because of the CDC recommendation. If I cancel do we forfeit the amount we paid to NCL for insurance? If so many people cancel that NCL decides to scrub the entire cruise would we get the insurance money back?

We are due to sail on January 8th so I have a little time to decide, trying to gather all my facts so I can make an informed decision.

Per the Peace of Mind Terms and Conditions if you cancel the cruise you won't receive a refund of the insurance premium as part of the FCC you'll receive :

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

What is not included in the future cruise credit (FCC)?

The following will not be included in the FCC or refund:

Special Promotional Onboard Credits (OBC)

Bonus 10% Discount coupons issued as the result of a sailing suspension

Insurance

Restricted air booked through Norwegian Cruise Line

If NCL were to cancel the cruise you should, and I emphasize should, be entitled to an insurance refund but I wouldn't stake my life on it.

48 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Insurance is never reimbursed. At least I've never heard of it being reimbursed. Once you pay for insurance it's a goner. 

Even with some third party travel insurers, if you cancel the trip and haven't had any losses yet, then you can sometimes apply the insurance premium/policy to another trip, with some timing constraints.  This is before the trip start date.

We've done this a few times.

GC

• Thanks 1

Yep,we did the same with tripinsurancestore.  Canceled cruise, used for  a fall New England trip.

Depending on your state of residency,  you have a free look period, although the isn’t long. Also, the policy probably has  a free look period.  Again not long…days to weeks.  I found my information on page 32 of the contract. 

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Insurance is never reimbursed. At least I've never heard of it being reimbursed. Once you pay for insurance it's a goner. 

All of our NCL-cancelled cruises have had the insurance reimbursed. It was a separate FCC that could only be used for future insurance. My insuremytrip insurance on a RCL-cancelled cruise was held as a credit for a future cruise. 

With NCL insurance you do not actually pay for it until final payment, which used to be 120 days out but currently is 60 days out. So up till then you can cancel and get back your deposit - which is all you are out.

I also see where there would be a difference between you canceling the cruise vs NCL esp when it comes to how much you get back.