Covid Isolation Protocols Changed

Razryn

Boyfriend tested positive on 12/27 (on day 2 of the sailing!) and we were originally told  he would be in quarantine the rest of the cruise followed by 10 days on land that RCI would arrange.

I had to quarantine for 24 hours, but was actually 20 hours when I tested negative and was released.

Just got a call from them that per new guidance he would be released from quarantine since he had been in isolation for 5 days since he tested positive. No further quarantine is necessary on lane and he would join the rest of the guests for the last day of the cruise. They don’t care that he still has symptoms and will not test him or us again. Although I’m happy his whole cruise won’t be ruined, not sure how I feel about this policy change as a whole. I think at the very least it should be asymptomatic for 5 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Razryn said:

Boyfriend tested positive on 12/27 (on day 2 of the sailing!) and we were originally told  he would be in quarantine the rest of the cruise followed by 10 days on land that RCI would arrange.

I had to quarantine for 24 hours, but was actually 20 hours when I tested negative and was released.

Just got a call from them that per new guidance he would be released from quarantine since he had been in isolation for 5 days since he tested positive. No further quarantine is necessary on lane and he would join the rest of the guests for the last day of the cruise. They don’t care that he still has symptoms and will not test him or us again. Although I’m happy his whole cruise won’t be ruined, not sure how I feel about this policy change as a whole. I think at the very least it should be asymptomatic for 5 days.

Fever?

Medical center said we may get a certificate from them tomorrow as he may continue to test positive for 90 more days. 

He did say he had a fever when he self-reported on day 2 but they did not take a temperature. Doesn’t seem like they want to take a temperature now or give any additional tests. 

We are on the Oasis which sailed 12/26. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Update: they took him away to the quarantine room around 9pm on Monday. We called and reported the symptoms at 4, they said it would be about an hour before someone could make it up but they actually came by around 6. The results are supposed to take about an hour but also took 2. Then from 8-9 was the scramble of receiving phone calls, packing, and being moved down.

The medical center just said he would be released at 3pm tomorrow. I had asked why it wasn’t 5 full days and the nurse said hm that’s strange that the notes say 3pm. It should really be 5 full days but you’re free to go at 3. I wasn’t comfortable with him sharing a room with me since I’m also traveling with older parents so they were nice enough to accommodate him in a separate stateroom for the last day of his cruise. Now he can finally finish seeing the whole ship! 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Razryn said:

Update: they took him away to the quarantine room around 9pm on Monday. We called and reported the symptoms at 4, they said it would be about an hour before someone could make it up but they actually came by around 6. The results are supposed to take about an hour but also took 2. Then from 8-9 was the scramble of receiving phone calls, packing, and being moved down.

The medical center just said he would be released at 3pm tomorrow. I had asked why it wasn’t 5 full days and the nurse said hm that’s strange that the notes say 3pm. It should really be 5 full days but you’re free to go at 3. I wasn’t comfortable with him sharing a room with me since I’m also traveling with older parents so they were nice enough to accommodate him in a separate stateroom for the last day of his cruise. Now he can finally finish seeing the whole ship! 

Thank you for reporting actual events. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how refund would work? They simply stated there would be a pro-rated refund for the amount of days missed. I’m guessing this will be 5/7 the cost. 

But, there’s a bunch of variables such as if port fees/taxes are included in this. Additionally, he is guest two so was under the 60% off second guest promo when we originally booked. Might end up being a small amount depending on how the math shakes out.

Will update when the final number comes out, and if the rest of the traveling party that had to isolate for 1 day will receive anything back too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Razryn said:

Boyfriend tested positive on 12/27…Just got a call from them that per new guidance he would be released from quarantine since he had been in isolation for 5 days since he tested positive. No further quarantine is necessary…and he would join the rest of the guests for the last day of the cruise. They don’t care that he still has symptoms and will not test him or us again…I think at the very least it should be asymptomatic for 5 days.

@Razrynprayers for him, and you as well. Did they give guidance about dining? Is it in-room only, in light of the masking component to the guidelines? 

Best wishes!

Edited by syesmar

19 minutes ago, Razryn said:

Does anyone know how refund would work? They simply stated there would be a pro-rated refund for the amount of days missed. I’m guessing this will be 5/7 the cost. 

But, there’s a bunch of variables such as if port fees/taxes are included in this. Additionally, he is guest two so was under the 60% off second guest promo when we originally booked. Might end up being a small amount depending on how the math shakes out.

Will update when the final number comes out, and if the rest of the traveling party that had to isolate for 1 day will receive anything back too.

Idk if you are in isolation on the ship they give you a refund for days missed. I thought I had read someone who thought it was for the difference in moving to a lower cat of cabin. Interesting. Let us know how it works please.

Hm yeah I think there would be some refund but the Traveler 1 at 100% fare and Traveler 2 at 40% fare messes up the calculation. It’s really just luck who was assigned traveler 1 vs 2 but in this case Traveler 2 with the reduced fair happened to be the one with Covid.

we aren’t married and we don’t share expenses so we split the cost 50/50. Kind of sucks if he got only a small portion back due to the sale pricing gimmick. Especially since he spent both his birthday and New Year’s Eve isolated from everyone. 

1 hour ago, Razryn said:

If you mean his dining during isolation….

Thanks. I’m referring to dining after release from isolation. Since the new guidelines hinge on a masking component, I’m curious if RCCL gave instructions on dining once released.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Will taxes/port fees be auto refunded if he wasn’t able to go to port?

9 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Thanks. I’m referring to dining after release from isolation. Since the new guidelines hinge on a masking component, I’m curious if RCCL gave instructions on dining once released.

There are no further restrictions from RCCL once released from isolation. He’ll be allowed to go about and dine as usual, and will comply with the mask policy same as everyone else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Razryn said:

The guidance from the CDC is if the person no longer has symptoms then they can stop quarantining after 5 days and them much mask everywhere for another 5 days. If he still has fever he should still quarantine.

Did the ship tell him he needs to mask everywhere around others?

People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nope, the ship did not say there was any additional guidance for masking around others. It would be to follow the standard protocol as other guests i.e. masks indoors, and can remove during eating, drinking, or being outdoors.

1 hour ago, Razryn said:

Hm yeah I think there would be some refund but the Traveler 1 at 100% fare and Traveler 2 at 40% fare messes up the calculation. It’s really just luck who was assigned traveler 1 vs 2 but in this case Traveler 2 with the reduced fair happened to be the one with Covid.

we aren’t married and we don’t share expenses so we split the cost 50/50. Kind of sucks if he got only a small portion back due to the sale pricing gimmick. Especially since he spent both his birthday and New Year’s Eve isolated from everyone. 

Yup, uneven split been that way for Refunds and FCC also but technically that's how your payments were applied. Refunds also can come in couple different amounts to each of you, just a heads up how Royal does it. These are issues brought up on here for yrs. Happy you all are safe and well

22 minutes ago, Musicczar said:

If you test positive on the cruise, I don't see why the cruise line should have to reimburse you anything.

Because that's Royal's policy, in writing to passengers🙄

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

• Like 7