Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

Les37b, in another thread I asked if menus for the Moon restaurants are available anywhere, and Catlover54 suggested I ask you to post some photos. So, if you can, will you do that for as many restaurants as you feel like? I know that the SALT Kitchen menus are location-specific, but samples from the other restaurants would be very appreciated.

Les, you were kind enough to respond to my previous question regarding bottled water.   Can you take another look for bottled (still) spring water?    I know ship's water is what they want you to drink and that does not work for us.

1 hour ago, saminina said:

Can you take another look for bottled (still) spring water?

Like Les said, most of the time the bottles are just some local brand from whatever port they provisioned in.  Depending on what area of the world you’re from, you may have never heard of them.  With that said, and with proper notice to SS Special Services department, you can have them requisition virtually any well known global brand for you.  

Being an Italian line, it was easy for them to acquire Acqua Panna for our voyage.  They brought it on board in November in Buenos Aires before the Antarctic season and held it for us until our arrival in Ushuaia in January.  Danone is by far the largest supplier in Argentina, so we also saw plenty of Font Vella and Evian on board too.  It just really depends on where your voyage is at the time.

16 hours ago, daddyo said:

Les

I always follow your voyages and must say if I had to spend 10 days in a cabin it might be more than I could bear.  We like to DIY port calls ourselves,  but I’m surprised that Silversea has continued to let passengers go ashore independently after the experience with the Spirit in the Caribbean.  Incidentally, passengers on the WC went ashore for a party in Cartagena and some have now tested positive.  
Stay safe and if your still on for the Chilean  glacier fjords, they’re pretty spectacular 

The penalty is too severe to contemplate and for that reason, I'm out.  You set off maybe knowing it's a small gamble. We have been unfortunate though the numbers have so far been lower than I thought they might be. There is no way of stopping, merely doing what you can to minimise the risks, but in our case still not enough. The first 10 days we were having a great time, but then the nightmare started. It's a shame "Voyager" hasn't responded as I genuinely was interested to find out how they had such a great time in jail on this cruise. Needless to say and with hindsight, we would have stayed home. Had we not been affected, then my answer would be different.

The ship conducts contact tracing. This is now done on a clip board passed to guests to sign. So instead of a risk of near contacts, there is now a risk for everyone handling that board. I thought I'd try the putting yesterday. There were 2 others. We made sure they were no way near me - yet they tried to get me to sign this board. I refused and left. (I know no how close contact is applied and no intention of spending more time in isolation.) People can be seated nearer at some restaurants, so just think there is much to be learned.

I kinda agree on your thoughts on DIY, but unfortunately the transport used is not vetted and some that was provided was far riskier IMHO and wouldn't have got on. Silversea reps no longer travel (not allowed off) don't get to see maybe. But DIY CAN be safer because you can chose not to take a risk.

16 hours ago, silkismom said:

That sounds like the problem we had on the Azamara Journey in Feb 2014, a prop got tangled in cables going into Tokyo harbor. We limped along to Osaka and then they flew us to Shanghai where we were supposed to end the cruise. The ship then had to go to Korea to be fixed.  Good luck.

I do know they are fearful of damage that may have been caused. I hope it's an easy fix, but if it isn't our journey home just got more complicated.

13 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

With jokes like that? About 5 minutes! 

Harsh! 😅

11 hours ago, saminina said:

Les, you were kind enough to respond to my previous question regarding bottled water.   Can you take another look for bottled (still) spring water?    I know ship's water is what they want you to drink and that does not work for us.

I did already answer.... San Pellegrino and Perrier is available, plus no names which you will be given unless you specifically ask for those.

13 hours ago, RELS said:

Les37b, in another thread I asked if menus for the Moon restaurants are available anywhere, and Catlover54 suggested I ask you to post some photos. So, if you can, will you do that for as many restaurants as you feel like? I know that the SALT Kitchen menus are location-specific, but samples from the other restaurants would be very appreciated.

I will check if they are available to D/L or if I can get GS to email. Taking photos as you saw from my salt bar effort are usually more miss than hit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seaver said:

Les, Any worse case rumors regarding the propellers? Could the issue end the cruise early?

It's a very real possibility, but until they check in port, it's speculation. Hopefully an easy untangle (assuming it was nets)

We live in hope it's an easy fix and both engines back soon

Les, 

Thank you for reporting on your unfortunate vacation here.  I've been trying to figure out what line to try next.  SS will not be it after reading this until the whole Covid situation is under control.  You may well have saved many people including me and my husband from a hugely disappointing situation, should we come down with Covid while cruising.  With so few guests onboard it is completely ridiculous to limit room service to Covid patients.  Also, they should have had better disposable containers on hand so the food could be plated correctly.    It's an upscale cruise, not a prison and if people are going to be quarantined, the cruise line needs to do all they can to make it as pleasant as possible, particularly when the variant is Omicron which is mostly mild or even asymptomatic.  I would have thought the ship would deliver a large assortment of prepackaged snacks and drinks on the first day of the quarantine to the patient as well as regular meals and an afternoon snacks and some magazines or paperback books, a deck of cards  - anything to make the confinement as pleasant as possible.  After all, the length of quarantine is known.   PS: that bowl of fruit the other passenger stuck his hand into should have been removed and discarded immediately.  Now propeller problems?  Oh, my, what a cruise!  But you have a good attitude and I hope you and your wife can enjoy what remains of your cruise.   

From what I've read, you have immunity to Omicron for at least 3 months after having it.  Perhaps a vacation from your vacation is in order?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Has your wife been released yet.

Yes at 9am yesterday very relieved! The other lady was released this morning so we had a nice breakfast together this morning. Further good news. The Chile PCR they got negatives.

So this morning we had a champagne breakfast for the second day in a row. Outstanding.

IMG_20220124_074120.thumb.jpg.b9789c952cf482d374b7cd361127f775.jpg

IMG_20220124_075411.thumb.jpg.315425d9b501cb1c06d86a0e03ce0010.jpg

Meanwhile, the fishing net v propellor mystery has been solved. Divers went down this morning and this is what it turned out to be 

IMG_20220124_075537.thumb.jpg.d9a7da45372ce636bea1bf8b266f5288.jpg

• Like 7

Nice breakfast Les! And so glad to hear that your breakfast partner is finally out of the brig.

What is that unidentified floating object that was tangled in the prop? And more importantly, is it functional now or was there damage?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Nice breakfast Les! And so glad to hear that your breakfast partner is finally out of the brig.

What is that unidentified floating object that was tangled in the prop? And more importantly, is it functional now or was there damage?

Still waiting to hear. It's either a blue or humpback whale we are told. Not sure on prop status or if divers still there. We can't afford to be delayed or arrive in Valparaiso late, so this afternoon's trip  might be a mad dash to pack and leave. Hopefully apart from the unfortunate whale, all is good.

3 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Les glad see things are looking up. Hopefully the rest of your voyage goes smooth as silk.  Very unfortunate for the poor whale though. 

Are doing well now, FDNY?  I am so sorry about your unpleasant SB quarantine experience and ruined cruise -- hopefully you will  at least have compensation/credit for the missed days.

As you can see, Les also had an unpleasant experience on SS (though in a different way, and if you look at the Regent board, there are some unpleasant quarantine experiences reported there too).  We sadly went about this cruise looking at pax as disease vectors as we struggled to distance, rather than socializing with them as we usually try and do , not because we were afraid to get hospitalized with Covid, but because we did not want to become positive and get quarantined per the strict rules.

• Like 2

Cat lover, we’re both doing fine now, and thank you for asking. Looking at the figures, December had such a huge wave of Omicron that no one was prepared for, and overwhelmed the cruise lines, as well as the whole travel industry. They did compensate us for our time in quarantine, and everyone got a 25% cruise credit. Still planning future cruises, including a TA on the Dawn on 12/3 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain's announcement.... Props are fine.

4 guests and 3 crew tested positive. We are unsure if that is the same 4  we know are in jail or another 4.

Meanwhile we went ashore and had a whale of a time. 

Unfortunately another 2 downers. This morning my wife noticed that a black bin liner used to hold her shoes to go to quarantine doesn't appear to have come back. My wife actually took a photo of all the luggage and the black sack clearly there. She was going to carry that herself but the nurse insisted the butler took it. My own (novelty) video of the butler and my wife, shows he didn't have the bag. They are looking at security cameras now. So about 7 pairs of shoes down.

Then, despite being off the ship today and already having a proper c19 cert, she got a Chilean email saying she has to quarantine for 10 days and report in each day.

Just when we thought we could relax.  I'm sure the COVID thing will turn out fine, but the shoe thing seems to be not going well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, les37b said:

4 guests and 3 crew tested positive. We are unsure if that is the same 4  we know are in jail or another 4.

Unfortunately another 2 downers. This morning my wife noticed that a black bin liner used to hold her shoes to go to quarantine doesn't appear to have come back. My wife actually took a photo of all the luggage and the black sack clearly there. She was going to carry that herself but the nurse insisted the butler took it. My own (novelty) video of the butler and my wife, shows he didn't have the bag. They are looking at security cameras now. So about 7 pairs of shoes down.

Then, despite being off the ship today and already having a proper c19 cert, she got a Chilean email saying she has to quarantine for 10 days and report in each day.

Just when we thought we could relax.  I'm sure the COVID thing will turn out fine, but the shoe thing seems to be not going well.

Ugh!  Could you just catch a break for a change?

It's one thing for staff to lose  a shirt or a pair of socks (this Moon cruise was the first in a long time when something has not disappeared in a ship's laundry) but a lady's bag of shoes??? That is the worst.  Women spend many hours getting their favorite cruise shoes just right!.😳🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Oh no, as someone who is very emotionally  attached to her shoes, I can only imagine the angst.  When you say “ bin liner” I am

assuming we Americans would  call it a trash bag. This is bad!!!  Praying for the shoes!

Part of the Captain's announcement last night which I missed, suggested that there was a good chance we could arrive in Valparaiso late because of tests that needed to be carried out. I think judging by our current speed, that won't be the case, but in the morning we made the point that should we arrive late, we would miss our flight. Something overlooked, but thankfully we do seem to be proceeding well.

No news still on Shoegate. The fact they've not been found pretty much suggests now they won't be.

Last night we ate in La Dame and whilst suggesting previously I wasn't going to on this cruise, I'm glad we did. Easily the best we've had there or La Champagne.

I took a few photos. Scallopes and pork belly, beef fillet, Dover sole, mushroom soup.

There was only one other couple in the restaurant.

IMG_20220124_205950.thumb.jpg.dd14ae3295ed6982c3263785ce6208a1.jpg

IMG_20220124_212439.thumb.jpg.6d021a82eb41bc59f5729af8ef6ed3ba.jpg

IMG_20220124_212431.thumb.jpg.b57622d2df077667973e93faa9e5885d.jpg

IMG_20220124_220445.thumb.jpg.11356d47e71a12dd383d914d1e4c91da.jpg

IMG_20220124_223100.thumb.jpg.23302c53a5aecce0cf9aefc426ecfa13.jpg

IMG_20220124_223154.thumb.jpg.5878331455e934250e0d0384890c8624.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1