NCL cancels cruise night before departure

carribbound

NCL Gateway cancels cruise night before departure. Supposed to depart tomorrow and cancelled tonight. I sure hope my Carnival cruise in February doesn't get cancelled the night before departure as I am flying in the day before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carribbound said:

NCL Gateway cancels cruise night before departure. Supposed to depart tomorrow and cancelled tonight. I sure hope my Carnival cruise in February doesn't get cancelled the night before departure as I am flying in the day before. 

That would suck terribly. 

Guest BasicSailor

I've been reading all this sadness all over the boards today and beyond. I hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better.

Hopefully carnival doesnt have any going to st thomas, or Antigua which decided no more cruise ships.

Ncl seems to be a lot calmer than rcl pax who sound a bit entitled to me. It's a risk to cruise right now. Crossing my fingers, but I dont plan on canceling but I did book drive to ports. Easier to deal with.

People who flew to Miami for getaway .. or pearl to Panama turning around. It went out of miami but wasnt scheduled to end there I read. Idk ..just reading like everyone else. 

• Like 1

Life Pro Tip - it always comes down to a math problem.  Unfortunately the numbers don't lie.  Flying the other day for work I considered that 10% of the passengers were covid positive. 

Let's just say 1%.  Exceedingly contagious.  R value of 5.  Passenger count 2000.  20 Day 0.  100 Day 3.  500 Day 6. 

Cumulative peak in 2 weeks from now in the US, maybe sooner.

I have been 110% against lockdowns.  Still am.  I am 110% against mandates.  Still am.   But as a cruise line, I'm bleeding cash again.  Crew changes, lost passengers, sick bay care, almost free cruise rates, FCC, etc. 

I would cancel 4 weeks, heal the crews.  Sounds like a huge loss.  It is, but not as big as if they keep running right now.

Like I said - it's a math problem.  And no government involvement required.

[Epilogue - Look out though.  When this storm passes, it will be wide open for FUN!]

• Like 4

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I didnt know antigua shutdown for cruise ships.  Darn it.  We are suppose to be there next week.

Does NCL and Ccl have ghost ships like royal does to transfer positive crew to quarantine.

Someone mention Sensation.

9 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

Life Pro Tip - it always comes down to a math problem.  Unfortunately the numbers don't lie.  Flying the other day for work I considered that 10% of the passengers were covid positive. 

Let's just say 1%.  Exceedingly contagious.  R value of 5.  Passenger count 2000.  20 Day 0.  100 Day 3.  500 Day 6. 

Cumulative peak in 2 weeks from now in the US, maybe sooner.

I have been 110% against lockdowns.  Still am.  I am 110% against mandates.  Still am.   But as a cruise line, I'm bleeding cash again.  Crew changes, lost passengers, sick bay care, almost free cruise rates, FCC, etc. 

I would cancel 4 weeks, heal the crews.  Sounds like a huge loss.  It is, but not as big as if they keep running right now.

Like I said - it's a math problem.  And no government involvement required.

[Epilogue - Look out though.  When this storm passes, it will be wide open for FUN!]

I don't know about four weeks but two would probably be a smart financial move. All the extra costs, bad PR, sick employees etc won't outweigh the revenue that the next few weeks drama will bring. I'm 100% against government shutting things down but if the lines took self-imposed short break, got all crew boosted and revaccinate all crew who got JJ with full doses of moderna/pfizer and allow the crews to get healthy and resupply/retool would make complete sense to me. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I don't know about four weeks but two would probably be a smart financial move. All the extra costs, bad PR, sick employees etc won't outweigh the revenue that the next few weeks drama will bring. I'm 100% against government shutting things down but if the lines took self-imposed short break, got all crew boosted and revaccinate all crew who got JJ with full doses of moderna/pfizer and allow the crews to get healthy and resupply/retool would make complete sense to me. 

4 weeks based on the Omicron trajectory - also allows the paying public to shake the aftereffects of this storm we are in. 

I told my people at my work today we just have to manage the business and ride it out.  I think (hope?) in 4 weeks we'll be on the other side of this.  I just don't think 2 weeks is enough.

6 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

4 weeks based on the Omicron trajectory - also allows the paying public to shake the aftereffects of this storm we are in. 

I told my people at my work today we just have to manage the business and ride it out.  I think (hope?) in 4 weeks we'll be on the other side of this.  I just don't think 2 weeks is enough.

To be totally out of this (IMO) 6-8 weeks but the worst of it will be two weeks (hopefully) and then start dwindling. We'll know when hospitalizations decrease precipitously, like was reported in South Africa. I concur with your basic premise though.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmarts said:

I’m going to be beyond pissed if my February cruise cancels. People need to be allowed to make their own choices. 

This is true - but not at the expense of the health and safety of others - in this case the crew, who have no choice but to do their jobs.

• Like 9

I’m going to be beyond pissed if my February cruise cancels. People need to be allowed to make their own choices. 

I am really happy to see you are all about choice!!!  BUT, this is not about you...its a business decision based on safety and what is good financially for the cruise lines (if they deem it so). 

Obviously the cruise lines have done it "the peoples way" (given what everyone whined about for over a year and trusted they wanted it bad enough to comply) and the fact that many are still not complying etc., etc., etc., put them right back into the thick of this mess once again.  It would be remiss for anyone to book a cruise without travel insurance this last few months or for the next few months especially if flying and hotels are involved. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I didnt know antigua shutdown for cruise ships.  Darn it.  We are suppose to be there next week.

Antigua-St John's port-the dock is closed because the additions haven't been completed.  Nothing to do with COVID/Omicron.   I don't think English harbor is large enough for cruise ships but mostly handles cargo.  St. Thomas is a bit like San Juan, lots of cases on the island and they are taking precautions.

We are currently in Routan and the Norwegian Breakaway is in the bay as well as the vista and glory.  Looks like the glory is about to port and the vista has already gotten its port captain.  Business as usual on the carnival ships. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Antigua-St John's port-the dock is closed because the additions haven't been completed.  Nothing to do with COVID/Omicron.   I don't think English harbor is large enough for cruise ships but mostly handles cargo.  St. Thomas is a bit like San Juan, lots of cases on the island and they are taking precautions.

That's good to hear Antigua is still open.  Just heard Anthem is docking there this morning.