Regent seven seas mariner cancels world cruise one day before departure

Pcardad

Really not really unexpected, they had to change the itinerary to go west from SFO. Turned it into a return to Miami and then Caribbean round trips, ending with one to the Amazon in South America. 120 if folks take four options open. Will probably depend on how safe they can keep folks. 

if I had been on this cruise, I would be disappointed but also furious.  Surely they knew prior to have everyone fly to SF that they were either cancelling or significantly altering the cruise.  I am a big Regent loyalist, but this really decreases my confidence in their customer service and planning. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cruiseluv said:

But why would they need to wait until the night before to communicate it? Sorry, but that’s shameful 

Maybe, yes. They should have done it a few days ago, yes. But the omicron situation is one that has evolved so quickly, guess they feel they did the best they could. Or perhaps if you're cynical you could wonder if they wanted to get people to SF so they'd be more likely to take at least part of the revised itinerary.

• Like 3

I agree with Wendy - its fluid as things are changing so rapidly.  Some say by mid-Feb we will see significantly decreasing numbers testing positive, others say we are at the start of the beginning of a huge virus spread...Asian countries (among others) are clamping down hard - Japan, Australia, Korea - and refusing to admit foreign tourists.

Regent and other lines are faced with a challenging situation to grapple with.

21 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Or perhaps if you're cynical you could wonder if they wanted to get people to SF so they'd be more likely to take at least part of the revised itinerary.

Call me cynical.

• Like 9

We were booked on the entire world cruise.  Now we are going home.  What I don’t understand is why Regent gutted our itinerary while Oceania is continuing with their itinerary as best they can.  This does not compute and we are very unhappy.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Maybe, yes. They should have done it a few days ago, yes. But the omicron situation is one that has evolved so quickly, guess they feel they did the best they could. Or perhaps if you're cynical you could wonder if they wanted to get people to SF so they'd be more likely to take at least part of the revised itinerary.

Second option is the only one that makes any sense. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Maybe, yes. They should have done it a few days ago, yes. But the omicron situation is one that has evolved so quickly, guess they feel they did the best they could.

My suspicion is that Regent tested everyone on Mariner on Tuesday (yesterday) in order to get real hard data to base their decision on.  That would explain the timing more than the more cynical view.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, johng75370 said:

My suspicion is that Regent tested everyone on Mariner on Tuesday (yesterday) in order to get real hard data to base their decision on.  That would explain the timing more than the more cynical view.  

Shouldn't be hard to verify if they tested tested everyone who was onboard - some of them must be here. I am not aware of mass testing of Americans on any Regent ship though...

6 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

If this is the case,  they sure made the gala dinner for the World Cruisers go away in a hurry.

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I am not aware of mass testing of Americans on any Regent ship though...

@pingpong1 posted this yesterday from Mariner, which sounded like all guests had to be tested: 

“Now, almost like "magic", we all received letters last night (while we were at dinners) and left awaiting us on our beds, that we are now ALL required to get tests today (Tuesday morning).”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Shouldn't be hard to verify if they tested tested everyone who was onboard - some of them must be here. I am not aware of mass testing of Americans on any Regent ship though...

Think someone posted that SF city was going to require all passengers be tested before they could  finally leave the ship.

Pingpong’s post is the one.

Think the Gals dinner had been canceled several days ago. Someone mentioned the fact earlier, but not that it would be a grab and go!

Edited by cwn

I read that post and it was a requirement from the City of SF that only pertained (in the end) to people going ashore I think...

There can be no doubt this wasn't an idea that popped into someone's head yesterday morning.

• Like 1

So sorry the WC is canceled for those who rode it out. I hope someone who is doing the first segment will post about it though.

We canceled our 22WC last year when the 2024WC was first offered because we didn’t feel comfortable about how things were going in the world. But thinking about it over night if we were in this situation, we would go ahead with the 1st segment just to cruise and because we had run all the traps to get there..

Sorry for the ruined dreams though. 

Edited by cwn

We have friends on the aborted 2022 World Cruise.  It seems like at least a week ago when they told us the Gala was cancelled.  At that time it was being replaced with a "very nice room service meal and a bottle of wine."  

They chose the full refund and are enroute home today.

12 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I read that post and it was a requirement from the City of SF that only pertained (in the end) to people going ashore I think...

Originally it was supposed to be only people going ashore, then it got changed Monday to require all guests be tested.  Not clear if the changed requirement for “all guests being tested” came from Regent or City of SF, but regardless it probably provided Regent with some real data on their ability to handle the current situation.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Host Dan said:

If this is the case,  they sure made the gala dinner for the World Cruisers go away in a hurry.

Not really fair, that event was cancelled a few days ago.

So sad, this this is a crazy world right now.  Didn't know Oceania was trying to do their WC.

51 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

I don’t understand, hard data of what? They’re still offering a cruise for whomever wants to stay

51 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Someone on Mariner posted they would all need to be tested before disembarking 

30 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

At that time it was being replaced with a "very nice room service meal and a bottle of wine." 

It absolutely did not say that. What the email said was “you will be able to enjoy the gala dinner in the comfort of your room”. And that is where we ate it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BBWC said:

It absolutely did not say that. What the email said was “you will be able to enjoy the gala dinner in the comfort of your room”. And that is where we ate it.

Are you going to continue in with at least the first segment? If so I hope you will post about how it is going.

• Like 2